Awoo.

Multiplatform differences?

Shane

Scouring the Internet, I've noticed that info on multiplatform differences in Sonic games that aren't Unleashed is somewhat scarce.

For this post I will stick to post-Dreamcast games as the differences between Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are well-documented as is.

From my findings, it seems people prefer the GameCube versions of Sonic games over the others.

Sonic Advance:

What's this you ask? Sonic Advance was actually ported to the N-Gage, retitled Sonic N. Not too many differences besides the removal of Tiny Chao Garden and different camera options, but the GBA version is recommended.

Sonic Heroes:

Most people prefer the GameCube version. I recall reading a few years back that the Xbox version was inferior to the GameCube version, but lately I've found nothing to support this. The PS2 version, however, is known for audio problems and the lack of a solid framerate (it barely reached 30fps, while GameCube stays almost exclusively at 60fps). Can anyone who has spent a lot of time with the GameCube and Xbox versions confirm the differences? One theory seems to be that since the PS2 version wasn't available in Japan, it was lazily ported by Sega of America.

I've played the PC demo briefly but I don't know much about that version. I do know it can be easily found in UFO machines, though. XD

Also, the GameCube version doesn't have Japanese voice tracks.

Shadow the Hedgehog:

The GameCube version seems to be superior, but doesn't contain Japanese voice tracks, which was a big deal for some who weren't used to the new voices, although I'm sure these same people weren't used to the Japanese voices either, does being in another language make it somehow better? XD (I'm actually a Jun'ichi fan myself, so I guess I can somewhat understand this.)

The PS2 version runs at a lower framerate, but contains Japanese voice tracks and the differences aren't as drastic as with Heroes.

The Xbox version's controls are more slippery and a Slot 2 controller can't control Shadow's partners, and it also suffers from framerate issues. This seems to be the worst version of the game.

Sonic Riders:

I literally know nothing about any differences between the four versions of this. Help would be appreciated.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006):

The PS3 version seems to be known for having shinier character models and a lower framerate as well as even more glitches than the Xbox 360 version.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

The Wii version has Japanese voice tracks, does the PS2 version? I think widescreen is Wii-exclusive too, and that the PS2 game has shinier models and a lower framerate.

Sonic Unleashed HD:

The 360 version runs at 30fps and is mostly steady, while the PS3 version caps at 60fps but tends to be all over the place. The lighting is slightly different and the PS3 version is missing the transformation cutscene when switching between night and day. Some textures are different, and the PS3 version suffers from draw distance, which causes a few windmills to look quite ridiculous. More info on this can be found here. (Why did I bother to cover this game in the first place? XD)

Sonic Unleashed SD:

The Wii version and PS2 version have different character models for Sonic - the Wii version's model is much more animated. Sonic stands in different places in certain screens, too, if I recall correctly. The Wii version's graphics are a bit more polished and can go into widescreen.

So, can any of you help me with what I am missing? I would appreciate help particularly from those of you who have experienced multiple versions of these games. Heroes for Xbox and Riders in general are the two games I need info for the most, but anything I missed for the other games would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can add a few things. :)

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) on the Xbox360 has better effects than the PlayStation3 version. For example, in Crisis City, the fallen skyscrapers have a shiny glass surface in which you can see a detailed reflection of Sonic/Shadow/Silver... whereas in the PlayStation3, they don't even cast a shadow and the surface is dull. Also, certain fires give off a heat shimmer in the Xbox360 version, and the PlayStation3 version just has the flame itself. Basically, both effects come from a graphical shimmering texture which seems to be devoid from the PlayStation3 code.

The GameCube version of Sonic Heroes is very impressive in the graphics/framerate department, whereas I can say that the PlayStation2 version is, hands down, a lazy port (but still great fun). A lot of effects, such as light shine and reflection, are missing and no way does it hit 60fps. No way.

My copy of the manual for Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity on the PlayStation2 says the main menu options screen can change the Voice and Subtitles. No time to start it up and see if that's Japanese or not, sorry! I'm guessing it would be, though.

Hope I've helped! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow on the gamecube tends to crash on a couple of stages more often than the PS2 version not sure on the xbox one. That's from what SSMB users tended to say when it was released.

The lack of a transformation scene in sonic unleashed during loading/night and day sequence on the PS3 is actually a benefit, mainly because that scene gets old VERY quickly and you'll see it a lot during the game.... Especially if you're going for 100% completion.

Edited by Gnasher
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Also on Unleashed PS3, there's a little sprite of Mega Drive Sonic on the initial game load. 8D

I can confirm Sonic Riders PC contains both voice tracks, which are switchable in the external options menu (like most Sonic PC games, it's a lazy port, so anything PC specific like graphics settings and music/sfx/language toggles are handled outside of the actual game on startup).

Also, I realise we're doing post-Dreamcast but, still, for anyone interested, years back I wrote this comparison guide for my fave Sonic game, Sonic 2 8-bit: http://jezmm.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-2-Comparison-MS-vs-GG-22349408

One or two things I realise were actually incorrect, but it's been so long I'm too nostalgic to edit now. D8

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Heroes:

Most people prefer the GameCube version. I recall reading a few years back that the Xbox version was inferior to the GameCube version, but lately I've found nothing to support this. The PS2 version, however, is known for audio problems and the lack of a solid framerate (it barely reached 30fps, while GameCube stays almost exclusively at 60fps). Can anyone who has spent a lot of time with the GameCube and Xbox versions confirm the differences? One theory seems to be that since the PS2 version wasn't available in Japan, it was lazily ported by Sega of America.

I've played the PC demo briefly but I don't know much about that version. I do know it can be easily found in UFO machines, though. XD

Also, the GameCube version doesn't have Japanese voice tracks.

And here I thought my copies were just scratched up! That's why I would lose the sound for the cut scenes sometimes!

SA2 had a massive amount of differences between DC and GC. Here are just a few;

- Different camera angles in certain cutscenes

- New title screen

- Sound Test is on the menu instead of in the options

- Sonic now has his SOAP shoes on throughout the entirety of the first Hero Side Story cutscene as opposed to them being his original sneaks early in the DC version cutscene then them magically changing into SOAPS when he jumps on the copter's wing

- Different ads in City Escape

- Spruced-up character models

- Different sound effect when entering/exiting Chao gardens/Chao Kinderaten

- Different music in Chao Lobby

- There's now a Chao cave upon entering the Chao Stadium in order to choose between race and karate

- Different Hero and Dark Garden. Hero Garden no longer has a river cutting it in half or a bridge and the pink clouds are now animated. Dark Garden no longer has a mountin with a cauldron in it but has a larger pool

- On-screen skill level details of Chao

- Fortune teller, different bulletin board and Black Market in Chao Kindergarten. Chao doctor tells of the Chao's grades for abilities, personality, ranks in races and karate and age as well as Chao's type and won gems/medals in races

- Chao Karate

- Different 2P mode

- Different unlockable outfits for 2P mode that bestow specific powers on characters i.e alternate suit Sonic gets Sonic Wind every 20 rings and no other special move

- Flaming lamps in Aquatic Mine now have black smoke coming from them

- Most Big cameos in levels and cutscenes removed

- Score requirements for A Ranks altered in some missions

- Short pillar in the "Huge Oasis" in Dry Lagoon right near those 3 heads of the wall is now made of transparent polygons, maing a nice glass effect.

- It's raining in White Jungle

- Omochao's are located near the Goal Rings of City Escape and White Jungle, they say different things if held when touching the Goal Ring

- Altered tutorial screens

- Eggman and Tails have slightly altered voice effects when jumping. If Eggman/Tails made a jump whilst moving in the DC version, they'll utter what sounds like "hutt". Any kind of jump in GC version is "Yoh!" (Eggman) and "Huh" (Tails)

- Sonic's Sonic Wind attack looks different. In the DC version, the attack looks dark blue. In the GC version, it's light blue.

- Whenever Knuckles/Rouge/Sonic/Shadow/Tails/Eggman use special attacks in either bosses or 2P mode, they have a coloured background when they utter the attacks name.

- New NiGHTS hotel in Radical Highway

- Eggman's Egg Walker now has it's light turned on in Iron Gate

- Different ads in the Tails and Rouge driving levels

I know there's a lot more than that. It's just trying to remember o.o

• Thumbs Up 2

Verte's post reminds me of something. Back when SA2 Battle came out, I heard some people had trouble getting an A rank on Cosmic Wall. Is this true? Because Cosmic Wall practically gives it to you on a silver platter, even if you don't combo all of your missiles.

Verte's post reminds me of something. Back when SA2 Battle came out, I heard some people had trouble getting an A rank on Cosmic Wall. Is this true? Because Cosmic Wall practically gives it to you on a silver platter, even if you don't combo all of your missiles.

Guest Mister_Sibuke

Thought I would correct a few things.

Sonic Heroes:

Also, the GameCube version doesn't have Japanese voice tracks

You know what would be a "fun" one to try? Sonic Adventure.

You've got all the differences between the GC and DC version... then you have to take into consideration the XBL/PSN version pre DX patch... and then after DX patch. Most obvious difference with the XBL/PSN version would have to be trophy support and the new game adverts.

Guest Mister_Sibuke

SA2 had a massive amount of differences between DC and GC. Here are just a few;

I know there's a lot more than that. It's just trying to remember o.o

I made a comparison video for this game just before the summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdk-6k8i6og

... Might as well throw in my other comparison videos:

Sonic Unleashed (360 vs PS3)

Sonic Heroes (GC vs PS2)... I might make a comparison between all 4 versions since I now own them all... did anyone else also notice the moving textures while playing the PS2 version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6DcsvIeiQ

I'm also in the middle of making a Sonic Unleashed (Wii vs PS2) Comparison right now, I just got to record some Wii footage.

Edited by Mister_Sibuke

And here I thought my copies were just scratched up! That's why I would lose the sound for the cut scenes sometimes!

I've actually seen the same game run completely differently on different PS2s. For example, it works absolutely fine on my PS2 (though not as good as the Gamecube version, which I forgive mostly just because it controls better) and on my PS3, but on my brother's PS2 it has occasional audio screwups, and on the school PS2 there are times where the audio doesn't run at all.

did anyone else also notice the moving textures while playing the PS2 version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6DcsvIeiQ

Yeah, I saw it. That was a relatively common problem for PS2 games, particularly multiplatform ones. It happens because of a bunch of stuff that very, very few of the people on this forum would understand or find interesting. But it definitely happens, especially in the two city levels.

Edited by Tornado

I'd like some information on how the PSN version of Sonic Adventure DX stacks up to the DC and GC versions, as far as frame rate and the like.

Help a brutha out?

What I'd like to know is what version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 has japanese voices... also does Sonic Unleashed have selectable japanese voices in the european PS3 version?

Even though I end up getting a game for one console only (that's not always the case, though), it is interesting to see there are multiplatform differences in each game. Some people like the Japanese voices better then the English voices for some reason (The same is true for anime) but I have no problem either way.

• Thumbs Up 2

The PS3 version seems to be known for having shinier character models and a lower framerate as well as even more glitches than the Xbox 360 version.

And no gondolas D:!

And City Escape has a few different enemy placements between the two versions.

• Thumbs Up 1

And no gondolas D:!

You talking about Soleanna Castle Town?

I've got gondolas. And I'm on the PlayStation3, PAL version.

Tis true bout the Gondolas. My version on PS3 has em, I enjoy leaping on them as Silver. To put in my two cents, I played 06 on the 360 and PS3, the only difference I really noticed was that in End of the World, I didn't have the light dash over a pit problem with Shadow in the PS3 version.

I can confirm that the Xbox 360 version has Japanese voices, but only by changing the language of the console, outside of the game - thus, everything in-game turns to Japanese. You can't have Japanese voices with English subtitles.

I dunno whether it's the same case on PS3 or not.

Thank you very much for the info. Can someone confirm if that's the case with the ps3 version as well? Especially the japanese version which I'm interested in...

Thank you very much for the info. Can someone confirm if that's the case with the ps3 version as well? Especially the japanese version which I'm interested in...

That's true. You didn't have to try in the original version, blowing everything up simply worked. However, when I bought SA2:B, I'd always get a B-rank! I used to wonder why. That's not a bad thing though, it's great that there's a challenge now.

Edited by BaronSFel001
  • Thumbs Up 1

The first time I played Shadow the Hedgehog was on my friends PS2, and the controls were loose as hell, the characters were shiny and of course frame rate issues.

I was worried about the controls for when I would buy it for GC, but thankfully they were much tighter.