Awoo.

The Bosses

turbojet

Alf Layla was epic simply for the way Darkspine Sonic lays into him. Not even the Werehog shows such viciousness towards a boss.

I found Sonic CD's bosses to be highly original. The method for those bosses seem to focus on penetrating their defenses than just laying hits off the bat and they have less health for it (They only need about 4 hits). Of particular noteworthiness is the Tidal Tempest boss with the shield made of bubbles and the Quartz Quadrant boss, which involves conveyer belt running to wear-out Eggman's capsule thing.

I felt that the Night Unleashed bosses focused way too much on QTE's and the final boss was a QTE spam fest, which whilst looking awesome, didn't play as good as it looked.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• JezMM

• turbojet

• ovarloard

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not make the bosses more interactive? I love the levels as much as the next guy but the series does have promote Sonic as an excellent fighter. Who here wouldn't want a high-speed battle with Sonic and Shadow Unleashed style with actual combat moves other than the homing attack. Or better yet,as someone mentioned, Blaze and Sonic again. I never suggested the bosses are better than the actual levels cause God knows I'll be lying.

Alf Layla was epic simply for the way Darkspine Sonic lays into him. Not even the Werehog shows such viciousness towards a boss.

I forget where I heard this, but Darkspine Sonic is, well, dark. Something from the stories or some of the energy from the rings got into him, giving him unusual agression.

In the manual for Unleashed, it says that Sonic, as the Werehog, mantains his personality. So he's not that agressive.

I forget where I heard this, but Darkspine Sonic is, well, dark. Something from the stories or some of the energy from the rings got into him, giving him unusual agression.

In the manual for Unleashed, it says that Sonic, as the Werehog, mantains his personality. So he's not that agressive.

I thought the Werehog was pretty aggressive at times, especially during the Dark Gaia Phoenix.

One of my favorite things about the 2D games was the bosses and their variety. So many different types of Eggmobile. And not just the different types, but the number of them. Simple but elegant, the bosses in S3&K were perfect. Robotnik was everywhere and it was awesome.

The 3D games cut bosses out of levels, and started a few 3D archetypes which I find annoying, but mostly due to lack of originality. The donut boss archetype should be avoided, IMO. The golem bosses are all donut bosses. Those fights where Sonic runs around the donut while the enemy sits inside and tries to smack him. The Biolizard was also a donut boss. Sonic Rush also used donut arenas, but the boss could move around in the area, which gave the fight flexibility. I agree with all the others that Sonic Rush has good bosses.

The second 3D archetype is the runway boss which started somewhere around Sonic Heroes, and feel kind of like Perfect Chaos. The boss flies up ahead and you have to catch up and smack it for hits. This was an awful formula for Heroes, but I think it's been used nicely with the SatSR and Unleashed bosses. The Heroes bosses were mostly identical between models, only more armored and with different environments. I think as long as the bosses have attacks or defenses that make them unique, you can mix these formulas up as much as you want. Other bosses happen in open arenas, which is easy to make ugly like SHtH, but preferred for me.

Unleashed has the nicest bosses since SatSR IMO, and Rush developed nicely on the 2D and 3D styles of boss. Creative design for bosses has always been a big part of the series for me, so my wish is just to see more interesting designs and the return of one-per-level bosses. That's where the name boss comes from, he's the boss of the level, not the boss of the first 1/4 of the game. Bosses rule.

Edited by Badnikz

They're pretty forgettable. In fact, I wouldn't have remembered them if it weren't for this thread. I think I'm just jaded though.