Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

Okay, so whether or not Metacritic is down, the average score now is around about 75. How does that sit with you? Do you think it should higher, lower or that it's about right? Personally, I think it's exactly on the mark. The game doesn't quite reach the standard of an 8 because of the somewhat lacklustre gameplay and disappointing story, but it's definitely not lower than 7. Visuals, audio (definitely including voices), presentation and whatnot are really something quite special.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

It's still 77 here. Where are you getting a 75?

Anyway, I think 77 suits it perfectly yeah.

Edited by Jaouad

It's still 77 here. Where are you getting a 75?

Anyway, I think 77 suits it perfectly yeah.

I said "around about 75", which 77 is. There's no real discernible between the two. Also, MetaCritic is broken.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Ah okay, cool :P. Anyway, about the story. I was allready charmed by the new VA's and the beautiful interaction between sonic and tails. The humor and no super big ass monster as a final boss. In my opinion the best story line we have gotten since sonic adventure 1. Of course I would have loved more(deeper) as well but it wasn't such a big deal for me. What do you consider to have a better storyline? Just out of curiosity

I don't care too much about the story. Sega confirmed months ago that the game isn't going to be story heavy and t're keeng it simple so I wasn't the least bit disappointed.

I agree with the great majority of the reviewers that it is an 8/10 game (whatever that means...).

Arguably the best 3D Sonic game of all time and by far the best 3D Sonic game in the past 7 years and the only one which can be said to be good without some reservation.

Also, the guy who is going to be reviewing the wii version responded to reviewer of the ds version saying:

While I can't guarantee that you will enjoy it, Sonic Colors must be checked out at least once. The level design is far more interesting than in Unleashed and Sonic 4, the sense of speed is great and the Wisps add a lot to the game without being a complete nuisance like the sword in Black Knight and the Werehog in Unleashed. In fact save for some stages you can avoid using them, which GameTrailers complained about, but I think its good. I mean, Sega has been having issues implementing gimmicks into the Sonic formula, so for once I'm glad that they decided to experiment while not shoving it down our throats.

But I've said enough, I'll leave it for the review.

Edited by jonathan

It appears Metacrtic has fixed some of their meta scores. However they still have not added the reviews form gameshark, gamezone or digital chumps to Sonic Colors.

Noobtoob reviews the game

15:01 mark

wow...I don't even know how they took it,lol. It seems they liked the game, but really ripped on the game's story and cutscenes(they hated them??), and is the game really that bad compared to other Nintendo titles. Granted, its not perfection. I get that, but the way they put it...Its a little blown outta proportion.

TBH, Even though Noobtoob overexaggerated some parts, I thought it was fairly accurate to some extent. Especially the whole originality thing. The game that got me into Sonic was Sonic Unleashed; a game panned for the fact that it isnt "ALL SONIC" (AKA, werehog and Chip), as well as alot of other problems. What I always liked about Sonic is that even though the games are flawed to varying degrees, SatBK , SU, and several others could keep me interested because there was always something different that set it apart from the others (not to mention I have a wild imagination when regarding these gimmicks). Which worries me because from what I can see, Sonic seems to be taking what I like to call the "Mario Route".

DEFINITION:

Mario Route: When a good portion (or even all of) a game is extremely similar or exactly the same as a Mario game, 2d or otherwise.

Im worried that Sonic will become "Generic MARIO Platformer # God knows what number we're on now" and lose all originality (sort of); I blame the people who keep whining for classics.

I KNOW that at least half of the fanbase will probably troll me to death simply because I'm not part of the norm (Hive Mind), but seriously; I'm hoping Sonic won't become Mario 3.14 or something like that

Edited by Enigma2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

It's great that they now have a core formula to build upon, could we dream of a 3D Sonic game getting a 9/10 one day?

@ SEGAKID

IGN gave Colors a 8.5, better than Sonic Rush Adventure!

Console Obsession- 8/10

Edited by jonathan

TBH, Even though Noobtoob overexaggerated some parts, I thought it was fairly accurate to some extent. Especially the whole originality thing. The game that got me into Sonic was Sonic Unleashed; a game panned for the fact that it isnt "ALL SONIC" (AKA, werehog and Chip), as well as alot of other problems. What I always liked about Sonic is that even though the games are flawed to varying degrees, SatBK , SU, and several others could keep me interested because there was always something different that set it apart from the others (not to mention I have a wild imagination when regarding these gimmicks). Which worries me because from what I can see, Sonic seems to be taking what I like to call the "Mario Route".

DEFINITION:

Mario Route: When a good portion (or even all of) a game is extremely similar or exactly the same as a Mario game, 2d or otherwise.

Im worried that Sonic will become "Generic MARIO Platformer # God knows what number we're on now" and lose all originality (sort of); I blame the people who keep whining for classics.

I KNOW that at least half of the fanbase will probably troll me to death simply because I'm not part of the norm (Hive Mind), but seriously; I'm hoping Sonic won't become Mario 3.14 or something like that

Your views offend the swarm! Have the broodlings descend upon the interloper!

(Stupid Starcraft II, have to wait another year for the zerg camplaign, Activision-run Blizzard money-grubbing jerks)

The developers were not subtle about their Mario influences in this game. I say good idea, if you're gonna rip-off existing games, you could do a lot worse than Mario Galaxy. For example, you could try to rip-off God of War, and give Sonic a werewolf form where he uses direct attack - wide attack combos and quicktime events. I'd like to argue against the claim that Sonic played a lot like Mario in the 2D platforming portions, but I know I don't have a leg to stand on there. There's nothing wrong with focusing on 2D with Sonic - he does his best work there, but as much as I love Sonic Colors, I have to hope that the next game let's him roll. You know how you can spin-dash if you have the spike wisp? You shouldn't need the spike wisp to spin-dash. You should spin-dash. Keep the boost, though - it's convenient to be able to choose when to accellerate madly instead of being forced out of control like in, oh, Sonic 06. You can have two different crazy fast moves, like in Sonic CD.

I remember Noobtoob being alot more euphoric when they talked about the Daytime Levels in Unleashed. Granted it didn't have alot of plattforming and exploration, but on what it did focused on, speeed and reaction-based gameplay, it did it exceptionally well. The Sense of Speed, the visual quality,unpredictable-ness and the whole feedback you get was pretty much something you've never played before,kinda. Where as Colours, both the plattforming(especially the plattforming) and speed just felt ordinary and predictable. Sonic 3 and Knuckles got both the speed sensation(for 2d games,it can't get anybetter) and brilliant unpredictable plattforming obstacles down,Sonic Adventure did too. There were a few spots in Colours like the Asteroid-chains or running around the planet and the first part of Starlight-Carnival which will burn in as some of favourite Sonic memories, but Unleashed had way more.

Noticing lots of positive thoughts regarding Colours. Its about time!

Curious just how far Colours actually pushed the Wii. Simply gorgeous.

Nintendo World Report- 8/10

Note that they (although a different reviewer) gave the DS version a 6:

"Sonic Colors is one of the best Sonic 3D titles since he made the leap to 3D in Sonic Adventure in 1999. It does away with additional playable characters and gimmicks, instead focusing on refining the classic Sonic gameplay while adding a few twists of its own. Issues aside, Sonic Colors is a triumph and worth checking out."

Hey does anybody have Game TM's review scanned?

Edited by jonathan