Awoo.

Tails is fat

batson

Yes, this is the most unimportant and stupid complaint ever directed towards the Sonic series. But nevertheless, here it is: Tails modern (Sonic Adventure and beyond) design makes him look fat.

Granted, even in the old games, Tails had a round stomach, just like nearly all the other main characters had back then. But when the big redesign of the characters happened (and almost every classic character except Tails and, of course, Eggman, became thinner) Tails stomach got a different shape which makes it look less like a cartoony "balloon" belly, like it previously did, and more like a realistic fat stomach. His stomach has just gotten really wide around his waist. Observe this image for instance:

tails_52985.gif

Also, it looks like his belly fat is bulging out towards the sides of his body, over his hips. Like the image below somewhat cleraly demonstrates:

752248-tails_super.jpg

A similar thing happened to Eggman when the redsign came around, but to an even greater degree. But then, Eggman is supposed to be fat, so it's kinda different. Tails however used to look to be about the same weight as the other characters, so it's more noticable.

Now let us discuss this vast, vital, yet long ignored issue. :P

Edited by batson

I've noticed this before as well. Tails' rump appears to be far more pronounced than other characters'. I always got the impression that it's because his rear end is so often lifted above the rest of his body by his heli-tails, contorting the muscles there and making them look more prominent.

And his chubby tum looks cute ^-^ He's a growing boy after all, gotta have somewhere to pack away all that food :lol:

• Thumbs Up 7

He's a computer nerd. He doesn't get out much.

And I've always thought his modern design had a pear shaped body.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, and as i was going to mention in my first post but forgot, Sonic X is by far the biggest offender when it comes to drawing Tails this way. When he is sitting down, it looks like you could place a glass of water on his stomach and it wouldn't fall over:

122.JPG

You take their mass and divide it by their height squared. tongue.gif

I know that. But who are we to say that a mutant fox that stands on two legs fits into the same standard of "healthy" as human beings?[/existentialnonsense]

You seem to be under the assumption that the BMI system is actually a reliable indicator for health in humans anyways! [/shyamalantwist]

• Thumbs Up 7

Because it never stops at just a little. Sonic realized this and got out while he still could.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's some evidence to suggest that people who are SLIGHTLY 'overweight' are actually more healthy in some ways than people who are 'slim'.

Then again, Sonic character's proportions are so different from human proportions that how the hell do we even know how to start with assessing a healthy weight/body-shape? =P

But yeah, he's not exactly obese or anywhere close now is he? Skinniness is overrated anyway =D *Pokes Tails' chubby belly* o3o

• Thumbs Up 2

It's very hard to believe that Sonic weighs 35kg (77.2lbs/About 5 stone) at only 3'03'' (100cm/1.0M) tall. He must have immense bone density or something. If Metal Sonic's specs are anything to go by, SEGA/Sonic Team know exactly what they're doing when it comes to writing stats, so Sonic has got to be very heavy for his size for a reason. Well, that goes for the other characters too except robotic ones and clearly hefty ones like Vector and Big.

Edited by Verte

When I woke up this morning I did not think I'd end up talking about Sonic character's butts.

Some characters are designed with a bit of a rum, with Tails being one of them. Generally the 'cute' characters are more plump while the 'cool' characters are athletic. For instance, Sonic, Shadow and Silver, all hedgehogs, but none of them have any fat on them these days or any form of a butt, but then Amy, who is also a hedgehog, has a refined one.

A_d5.png

That is because Amy is a 'cute' character instead of cool, which is a design choice. Which makes Amy the only hedgehog n the series with an actual butt. Tails has one too likely since he too is a 'cute' character, and to be honest I think it suits him more to be curvy.

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's very hard to believe that Sonic weighs 35kg (77.2lbs/About 5 stone) at only 3'03'' (100cm/1.0M) tall. He must have immense bone density or something. If Metal Sonic's specs are anything to go by, SEGA/Sonic Team know exactly what they're doing when it comes to writing stats, so Sonic has got to be very heavy for his size for a reason. Well, that goes for the other characters too except robotic ones and clearly hefty ones like Vector and Big.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lol, this is the funniest title and subtitle I've seen on a topic in a while.

Yeah, I guess Tails has a little pot belly. That's okay with me. It looks kinda natural on him, I guess I never noticed. I kinda want to poke him in it now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Well, I'm positive that donut force-feeding machine he got for last Christmas isn't helping:

HomerDonuts.gif

I think Tail's spinning tails help him propel his speed to catch up with Sonic to make up for his fat ass. :P

• Chuckle 1

Remember Tails is still a kid so the pudgy belly is intended to make him look younger and infantile. The same torso design is seen in other young characters like Charmy, Chip, and chao in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember Tails is still a kid so the pudgy belly is intended to make him look younger and infantile. The same torso design is seen in other young characters like Charmy, Chip, and chao in general.

Yeah, i guess. But Cream and Marine doesn't seem to be quite as corpulent as Tails, despite being younger than him and therefore having all the more reason to be designed with a some baby fat.

Tails could almost give comic book guy a run for his money. Almost.

Maybe he injected some steroids into his belly and they wore off.............. I don't know, I'm no expert on this.