Awoo.

Caliburn opinions topic

Rusty Spy

So yeah, there's a bunch of topics where you can give your 2 cents on what you think of some characters so, why not have one for Caliburn.

As for me, I felt Caliburn was probably the best written character in the series so far. He reminds me a lot of Espio: he's sophisticated, honorable, and believes in fighting like a true warrior. Though one thing I love is his relationship with Sonic. Best comical paring next to possibly the Chaotix. Their contrasting opinions and views on each other is just pure gold, and I think the two actually really bring out each others character a lot: Sonic's attitude and cockiness really shows when Caliburn disciplines him all the time, and it also shows a bit of a cheeky side to him, too. While Caliburn shows to be very strict and quite condescending to Sonic in the beginning. I think the short story was what actually kept their relationship fresh the whole time. It got what it needed to be done and didn't really overdo anything.

So what do you guys think about him? Discuss, discuss, DISCUSS! :lol:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ovarloard

• Rusty Spy

• SuperStingray

• Blazey Firekitty

Top Posters In This Topic

A broadsword is basically a pointy bludgeon, it doesn't suit Sonic in the slightest. If he was absolutely bound and determined to give Sonic a sword, they should have gone with a saber.

I really liked him as a character, especially the banter between him and Sonic. Especially his constant agreeing with the boss' opinions when they badmouthed Sonic's skills, lol.

A broadsword is basically a pointy bludgeon, it doesn't suit Sonic in the slightest. If he was absolutely bound and determined to give Sonic a sword, they should have gone with a saber.

Aw, come on now, is this the "Caliburn opinions topic" or "Sonic using a sword opinions topic"? I'll admit the game had shoddy execution in terms of gameplay but is Sonic not allowed to do anything except run, jump and roll?

Why a saber of all weapons?

I like Caliburn, I thought he was quite funny with his little comments and such. I also don't see what's wrong with Sonic having a sword really, it was different. It made a change. I wouldn't want it in another other games really but it was fine for a one off.

Edited by Mollfie

I gave my opinion of Caliburn, what do want? Keep in mind, one of the special traits of a saber is their ability be be swung very fast.

is Sonic not allowed to do anything except run, jump and roll?

Until Sega gets that much right, no he is not.

Edited by Phos

I gave my opinion of Caliburn, what do want? Keep in mind, one of the special traits of a saber is their ability be be swung very fast.

I just wondered, and although it's true that a saber can be swung faster, it doesn't really fit in with medieval England much, does it? Plus Caliburn is obviously based off Excalibur, a broadsword.

Edited by Mollfie

I just wondered, and although it's true that a saber can be swung faster, it doesn't really fit in with medieval England much, does it? Plus Caliburn is obviously based off Excalibur, a broadsword.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliburn

Caliburn is Excalibur, and that ties in with my biggest complaint with Black Knight's story: revealing that Sonic is the real King Aurthur... So, what, is Sonic "playing the role" of King Aurthur like how Shadow is playing Lancelot? If that was the case, the other knights should have recognized him and Cliburn would have expected him to be better at sword fighting. The only other possibility I can think of is that the writers thought Aurthur was a title instead of a name.

Caliburn is Excalibur, and that ties in with my biggest complaint with Black Knight's story: revealing that Sonic is the real King Aurthur... So, what, is Sonic "playing the role" of King Aurthur like how Shadow is playing Lancelot? If that was the case, the other knights should have recognized him and Cliburn would have expected him to be better at sword fighting. The only other possibility I can think of is that the writers thought Aurthur was a title instead of a name.

Maybe Caliburn is Excalibur like Sonic can be Super Sonic. Because all the summaries of the story of the game I've seen say that King Arthur's sword, Excalibur, had turned into Deathcalibur. It was only when the "light of the sacred swords" appeared that Caliburn apparently transformed into Excalibur. So Caliburn isn't Excalibur on its own.

Maybe Caliburn is Excalibur like Sonic can be Super Sonic. Because all the summaries of the story of the game I've seen say that King Arthur's sword, Excalibur, had turned into Deathcalibur. It was only when the "light of the sacred swords" appeared that Caliburn apparently transformed into Excalibur. So Caliburn isn't Excalibur on its own.

Whoa...a BIT confusing isn´t it? :rolleyes:

I don´t own the game, but i have watched all the cutscenes, and...I don´t like it. I prefer Merlina.

In the entire game he only did nothing but complain, saying "fool", etc -____-. And he is too serious.

For me is another filler character. He may be useful in the story, but he only will be in this game and bye-bye then.

It´s a character who is easy to forget. Not like Chip, he also appeared in one game once, but i think people will remember him.

Edited by Blue Kirby

I really loved Caliburn. See, I didn't think I was going to like him so much because his concept is so overdone - the high-and-mighty character arguing with the joking, easy-going character - but strangely enough I ended up loving him. Their banter was so clever (Knave the Hedgehog anyone?) but underneath you could tell that they both ended up respecting each other. When

Caliburn broke just before the final boss fight

I was so shocked, and it was only then I realised how much I liked him as a character. I also think Excalibur looks so cool and awesome, hehehe >_>;;

Actually on the topic of physical appearance, is it just me, or is Caliburn the same length as Sonic is tall? That's one heck of a sword to wave around like it's a feather or something.

Why would they recognize him? Sonic was never in Camelot before and they thought that the Black Knight was King Arthur. I think the only possibility that works is the other one you said, which may not make much sense, but I don't see why it matters.

I really liked Caliburn. To me, he was an excellent example of a foil and he was well done. Yeah he likes taking the ever so confident hero down a peg or two but it's funny the way he goes about it and it was very well done. I just snigger hard when he keeps on telling Sonic not to drop him in suitably scared tones. And yet he does lighten up every now and again amidst his strictness, as if Sonic rubs off on him slightly. For all his seriousness though, you gotta admire Caliburn for his ability to discern true talent.

If you ask me, it was Caliburn that actually brought out some aspects of Sonic's characterization or traits that are rarely seen. Such as his short-temperedness and they compliment each other especially well in the final boss, in which both bicker together about

how what Merlina is doing is wrong.

I really liked Caliburn. To me, he was an excellent example of a foil and he was well done.

Caliburn's not a foil. This is what a foil looks like.

Foil-2004-A.jpg

[/joke]

I gave my opinion of Caliburn, what do want?

That wasn't really so much an opinion of Caliburn as an opinion of Sonic using a sword. And I don't really think a saber is associated with the middle ages as well as a broadsword.

Edited by SuperStingray

I can agree with you there, it reminds me of the ending to Zero Gravity. The resolution was uncalled for, didn't really make sense and just came out of nowhere. Though, I can sympathize with Black Knights case as it was just a story and not exactly canon in any way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliburn

In some versions of Arthurian legend, ARTHUR doesn't know his name is actually Arthur.

But either way, why do you need this to be that accurate to the myth? Many details get reworked in storytelling like this.

The part I don't get is, if Sonic is King Arthur, what happens to Camelot after he returns to his own world? Did Sonic somehow teach the Knights of the Round Table to govern the land by themselves?

Or can Sonic somehow be in two places at once? :blink:

...I'm probably thinking way too hard about this.

The part I don't get is, if Sonic is King Arthur, what happens to Camelot after he returns to his own world? Did Sonic somehow teach the Knights of the Round Table to govern the land by themselves?

Or can Sonic somehow be in two places at once? :blink:

...I'm probably thinking way too hard about this.

Well, I guess Caliburn may have chosen another bearer(most likely from the Knights of the Round Table) who will rule the land in Sonic's place, most likely Lancelot.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

I like how Caliburn has the same voice actor as Sanji from One Piece in Japanese. ='3

Well, I guess Caliburn may have chosen another bearer(most likely from the Knights of the Round Table) who will rule the land in Sonic's place, most likely Lancelot.

Though Blaze isn't as mainstream as either Knuckles or Shadow, I'd say Percival would have been the best choice, as Gawain/Knuckles is kinda gullible, and Shadow/Lancelot can sometimes get... vengeful. I don't think either of those are good characteristics for a king.

Edited by OvErLoRd Darkspine

Though Blaze isn't as mainstream as either Knuckles or Shadow, I'd say Percival would have been the best choice, as Gawain/Knuckles is kinda gullible, and Shadow/Lancelot can sometimes get... vengeful. I don't think either of those are good characteristics for a king.

Well, she is pretty elegant and charasmatic when she wants to be. ;)

And not to mention she's the Knight of the Grail anyway, so I guess she's already proved her worth. I was thinking Lancelot since he's the most powerful and closets knight to the king.