Awoo.

So how is this game, again?

turbojet

The physics are quite bad. The game can still manage to be fun in spite of that, though.

I'm not defending them but aren't they exactly the same as the Rush physics?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

It seems a lot of people enjoy it. I can't find it in my heart to recommend Sonic 4 to anybody, though. Yeah, I really don't like this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems a lot of people enjoy it. I can't find it in my heart to recommend Sonic 4 to anybody, though. Yeah, I really don't like this game.

I've recommended it with a very large disclaimer on game quality to some of my friends who liked the classic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not Sonic 4. It's nowhere near as great as the classics were. But it's still a pretty fun game nevertheless!

I still like it a lot.

Yes, the physics aren't brilliant, but the game is for the most part still perfectly playable so long as you don't deliberately try and break the physics. If you try and actually play the game? Yeah, okay, you'll run into one or two oddities or physics problems, but nothing massive.

If you can take it for what it is, it's a fun game. Also, do you notice how it's basically only the die-hard fans that are getting any butthurt over the physics? I don't think I've seen it once mentioned in any professional reviews so far.

Also, do you notice how it's basically only the die-hard fans that are getting any butthurt over the physics? I don't think I've seen it once mentioned in any professional reviews so far.

See

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, do you notice how it's basically only the die-hard fans that are getting any butthurt over the physics? I don't think I've seen it once mentioned in any professional reviews so far.

I know for a fact at least one has mentioned it, but I haven't kept up with reviews on it.

Honestly, past Sonic 2, I'm a terrible classic fan. My second favorite game is Sonic Unleashed, with Sonic 2 being #1. Heroes is third, SA2 is fourth, then S3, then &K (yes i judge them separately). Colors will more than likely take Unleashed's spot, and if all goes as I think it will, it'll take Sonic 2's... also (ha you thought i would say too).

I am no sort of classic fan, and S4's physics suck dick in a blender. You are completely wrong if you say otherwise. They simply suck for any game whatsoever. It makes up for it in every other department, but the physics are completely terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

It makes up for it in every other department, but the physics are completely terrible.

I completely agree with this. If you think you're going to hate the game based on the physics alone, then I wouldn't buy it. If you want a fun platformer with some nice touches, then give SEGA your money.

If you want to see flickies,pockies ect... Badniks, Eggman as the only bad guy, classic like music and the reward of getting all emeralds back again then get it asap!

Its a great game, it just lets you wanting more.

PS. The game controls better with analogs sticks for some reason at least for me and a few other people.

Edited by Aries

1) Hold right

2) WIN

Haha, doesn't that go for most Sonic games?

I think I have it solved (for myself, anyway). Bringing the knowledge of the classic games to this table will make the game unplayable. But if you play in the same mind as current Sonic games-- make use of the lock-on, don't attempt to roll-it won't help, etc-- then it's actually quite playable. Maybe borderline fun. maybe.

This is from someone who played it, turned it off within 3 minutes because "OMGitsAWFUL".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Haha, doesn't that go for most Sonic games?

I think I have it solved (for myself, anyway). Bringing the knowledge of the classic games to this table will make the game unplayable. But if you play in the same mind as current Sonic games-- make use of the lock-on, don't attempt to roll-it won't help, etc-- then it's actually quite playable. Maybe borderline fun. maybe.

This is from someone who played it, turned it off within 3 minutes because "OMGitsAWFUL".

You should play a game longer than 3 minutes to judge it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

From all I can tell, Sonic 4 is a fun title. It has refreshing level design and a re-introduction of quality level gimmicks that are both well implemented and well received. It does well to manage the risk factor between speed and badniks, which like the classic’s has you watching your ring counter like your life depended on it. The problem I see with the title is the title itself. I feel that many people seem to just discard the games physics to the garbage bin due to the names of the games before it. Sonic 4 really doesn’t run on momentum, nor is it a carbon copy of the classic formula, however that really doesn’t do much to get in the way of enjoying the game. There are certainly a few curious decisions within the game itself (uncurling) but once you figure out that this Sonic runs on the propulsion of his feet, and less on the speed built up from before, its not really an issue.

So I guess in the end this game really depends on what you want it to be. If you were looking for some new stages to tack on to the end of S3&K, you might be a little bummed with this one. If you were looking for a speedy platform experience and some quality 2D action, then this title is right up your ally. Personally, while I was expecting the former (due to the name), I can appreciate this game. It takes a different approach, likely to make Sonic a bit more accusable to his new age audiences. You lose some of the gratification of keeping Sonic at top speed through the levels, but to be honest just getting the spindash back to prominence is a worthy feat for Ep. 1. I missed my old friend and you really don’t realize how long its been until you get Sonic 4 in your hands.

As for the price…. I am cool with it. 15 might be a little steep, but Sonic 4 is a planned 3 – 4 episodes. The final price of the game will hover around retail price. If we are looking at a 3 episode minimum, than that is a grand total of (if the format is consistent) 36 stages 12 bosses, 4 final zones, a bajillion special stages (shoot we might even see super emeralds) and probable replability of all of this with multiple characters.

Seriously, I have paid a lot more for a lot less elsewhere.

I do not have a console or any resource to get this game at the moment. I was hoping to get it as soon as I am home. Judging by the reviews, it looks like a pretty solid game. Judging by you guys, sheeeyat! It is like a goddamned unholy abomination. I never been part of any Sonic fandom faction. I just play the games and have fun. Physics has never been a problem for me, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nDRsjiXiMo, Jeebus Cripes! Is it really that bad? Do I have to regret not having Sonic Colors on HD consoles? I know that this probably doesn't warrant a topic? Is it as broken as it looks?

You're better off not using it at all unless you're on a really long, flat surface where instant acceleration is actually useful. Otherwise it blows, and there's nothing you can do with it that straight-up running can't. Even if you need to run up a wall on short notice.

You're better off not using it at all unless you're on a really long, flat surface where instant acceleration is actually useful. Otherwise it blows, and there's nothing you can do with it that straight-up running can't. Even if you need to run up a wall on short notice.

The spindash is fine and is still useful when your staring at a bowl lip you need to clear or when your scrambling to pick up lost rings.

I held the direction I indented to go in during the classics anyway, so it is barely an adjustment for me. Its actually kind of funny, because for all the time people spent complaining about the "hold right to win" nature of the series, holding a directional input should be second nature by now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even if you do hold <- or -> the spindash doesn't work right. Plus the springs, boosters and ramps than are everywhere force you out of a roll anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if you do hold <- or -> the spindash doesn't work right. Plus the springs, boosters and ramps than are everywhere force you out of a roll anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Spindash serves its instant acceleration role, the rolling mechanics afterward is what is at fault.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1