Awoo.

Sonic: The Age of Steam

Doctor MK

5. Why does everyone use Citadel? It's like there is a book of words to name things and "citadel" is at the top of the "names for evil buildings" section. Right next to the "important objects" page and "conduit". It is not in alphabetical order.

My decision to use "citadel" was based more on the fact that it was the term used for Robotnik's headquarters in Sonic the Comic rather than just trying to sound generic. I'm trying to stuff in as many references to Sonic lore past and present as I can, this is merely one of those references.

And don't worry, Sonic doesn't die. I'm not going to pull a Sonic 06 on you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not exactly an announcement or anything special, but seemed relevant so thought I would share.

Acting as both a present and a bit of Christmas homework for myself, I recently picked up one of the classic Sonic the Hedgehog novels - Sonic in The Fourth Dimension, which seemed the most appealing of the four as a reader as well as the best to use as a basis for The Age of Steam. Got it for the low low price of £1, no less!

DSC00520.jpg

I'm not saying I'm going to try and replicate this writing style exactly, but I feel that if I read up on some actual Sonic the Hedgehog literature then I'll be better prepared going forwards with my story. I want it to be as authentic and professional as I can possibly make it, so this is just to show to you guys that I really am trying to take this seriously! ;)

Expect the first chapter (and some other delicious stuff courtesy of our good friend Swiss) to welcome you into the New Year.

Edited by Doctor MK
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

To celebrate the beginning of 2011, here's a special helping of The Age of Steam goodness!

First up is this amazing 'cover' artwork by SSMB's very own Swiss...

sonicaos-trio.png

(yes, that is Knuckles wearing the OVA hat!)

And because I'm feeling extra generous, the first chapter - "A New World" - is now online for all to read!

You can read it here at the Age of Steam blog: Chapter 1: A New World

I can't say when the rest of the chapters will appear because I'm quite behind schedule writing them... but I'll do my best to get them up as soon as I can! In the meantime, let me know what you think so far and I'll try to make sure the rest of the story is as good as it can possibly be!

:)

• Thumbs Up 3

In a word: awesome! :)

In a few more words... loved it, really! We're all thinking "another storybook opening" so why not Sonic too? His reaction is great, complete with total chillidog sidetrack, and I think that's the most crucial thing: you've got Sonic. You've captured his character and all the sides of his personality (the determination, the fun, the adventure and the tiny twinge of nervousness... c'mon, he is only fifteen) which is great. Very well done!

Hitting the city and starting to explore the Age of Steam (until we get a proper name for it) was great fun, and I love the little references regardless of whether they're developed in future chapters or not! Again, Sonic was perfect, and your descriptions were also nicely worded and paced very well. It flowed and kept moving towards that cliffhanger ending... which means I can't wait to read more!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Thank you for your very kind comments, Glenn! You have no idea how relieved I am to hear positive feedback! :lol:

The name of the place Sonic has ended up in (well, the name of the city at least) will be revealed in Chapter 2 alongside the appearances of a few other well known characters. The artwork alone gives away two who will be appearing at some point in the story, at the very least... :P

So yes, once again thanks for your comments - I am glad you liked it! I will do my best to have Chapter 2 with you as soon as I can. I know exactly what I want to write and I've started work on it, it's just finding the time to sit down and do it.

possibly a leeeeeetle too heavy on the ova references?

i mean hell it's not even a reference. sara is just there. ALTHOUGH, i like the explaining away of why the cat ears aren't there. Don't ask why, I just do.

Otherwise everything that Glenn said really.

I can only repeat what's been said already really...you nailed Sonic's character, the writing flow's perfectly, everything is described with excellent detail and, as expected, I'm pumped for the second chapter!

Very well done, MK. An excellent start!

Also I think Knuckles' eye looks a little 'derpy'. D:

I signed into Stadium just to check this project out.

And you guys are still up for Badnik designs right? I'd love to try my hand at steampunk Badniks.

I signed into Stadium just to check this project out.

And you guys are still up for Badnik designs right? I'd love to try my hand at steampunk Badniks.

Yes indeedy, there's no set deadline for steampunk badniks just yet - the more the merrier!

:)

If Steamkles (Knuxeam?) dosen't have a duel with someone in this, I think I might cry. He's got that goddamn coat on and he looks like a badass cowboy.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Steamkles (Knuxeam?) dosen't have a duel with someone in this, I think I might cry. He's got that goddamn coat on and he looks like a badass cowboy.

Now he needs a John Wayne rifle which he carries single-handedly and he will be pretty damn awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang, it's been quite a while since I updated you guys on anything Age of Steam related. Forgive me for that, I've been incredibly busy with other priorities over the last couple of weeks. But you'll be pleased to hear that they're out of the way now, meaning that I can spend this week dedicating my time to writing - especially with Sonic Relief 2011 kicking off this Friday!

So, to tide you over for a couple more days, here's a preview synopsis of Chapter 2...

The mystery runs deeper as Sonic is forced to turn super-sleuth in order find out what exactly is going on. In the process, some questions are answered and even more are raised, coinciding with the appearance of a few faces Sonic finds familiar - but why don't they recognise him? And just what is this ceremony everyone keeps talking about...? Why, it's elementary, my dear Sonic!

Find out in Chapter 2: "Familiar Faces", coming your way at some point between now and Friday! ;)

(apologies to Glenn for stealing his preview idea! :P)

Edited by Doctor MK

(apologies to Glenn for stealing his preview idea! :P)

*shakes fist* Darn you rotten kids...! Come back here! :lol:

I don't think I need to repeat my enthusiasm for this story, so I'll just wait patiently! I'm sure it'll be totally worth it, too, so no apologies required!

CHAPTER 2 NOW ONLINE!

It's been nearly four weeks since the first chapter hit the interweb, but the next exciting instalment of The Age of Steam is finally here! The long wait has partly been due to me having tons of other stuff to deal with over the last couple of weeks, but also because this is quite a lengthy and significant chapter - I wanted to get it right.

So, after staying up late last night to finish it off, I present to you...

Chapter II: Familiar Faces

Just in time to get you all hyped for Sonic Relief 2011, which starts tomorrow! :P

And in the words of Kid Icarus Uprising... "sorry to keep you waiting!"

Oh, my goodness, yes. :)

Absolutely fantastic, Doctor, and well worth the wait! The humour, the mystery, the characters... everything! You've got Sonic down perfectly, the appearance of *no spoilers here* made me break out a genuine smile, as did the moment with the wrench! Storywise, it was pacey and energetic, really kept me moving through to THAT cliffhanger ending!

I can't wait to find out what's going on. I mean, there's plenty of Storybook-esque moments but overall there's more of Sonic's familiarity than, say, Sonic & the Black Knight... the names, for example, kept intact. *strokes chin* Hmm... much to ponder, and much to look forward to!

Your writing style, too, is beyond professional! Easy to read, easy to enjoy and easy to visualise!

Wild applause, sir! :)

Brilliant! I just wish each chapter were a little longer! With only 6 parts... it's gonna be over before it's really begun, surely? This has a lot of potential- I hope you use it to it's fullest!

Oh, my goodness, yes. :)

Absolutely fantastic, Doctor, and well worth the wait! The humour, the mystery, the characters... everything! You've got Sonic down perfectly, the appearance of *no spoilers here* made me break out a genuine smile, as did the moment with the wrench! Storywise, it was pacey and energetic, really kept me moving through to THAT cliffhanger ending!

I can't wait to find out what's going on. I mean, there's plenty of Storybook-esque moments but overall there's more of Sonic's familiarity than, say, Sonic & the Black Knight... the names, for example, kept intact. *strokes chin* Hmm... much to ponder, and much to look forward to!

Your writing style, too, is beyond professional! Easy to read, easy to enjoy and easy to visualise!

Wild applause, sir! :)

Why thank you! I'm extremely pleased that it's gone down so well, especially after this long delay. As I'm sure you can tell, there was quite a lot to cram into that chapter and knowing that I handled it well is a huge relief!

And yes indeed, stroke your chin you should. There's plenty in store for Sherlock the Hedgehog yet... ;)

Brilliant! I just wish each chapter were a little longer! With only 6 parts... it's gonna be over before it's really begun, surely? This has a lot of potential- I hope you use it to it's fullest!

Originally The Age of Steam was going to be seven chapters long, but ultimately I cut it down to six for the same reason that the chapters aren't massively lengthy - I simply don't have enough time to write that much, especially as I'm trying to get it all written within the time frame of Sonic Relief 2011. What with organising the campaign itself, prioritising my university studies, and all manner of other things going on in my life, sadly the fan-fic has to come last.

Don't worry though, there is plenty still to come in the remaining four chapters. Chapter 3 onwards is where the story really kicks in and I think, once you get a better idea of what's actually going on, you'll be able to appreciate that 6 chapters is probably enough to tell the tale that needs to be told. I've got every chapter planned out, I know exactly what I want to happen and when. Besides, this was only ever intended as a short story anyway (especially as it's my first foray into fan-fiction), and at least this way you can look forward to some major plot points cropping up in each consecutive chapter as opposed to unnecessary padding. The revelations are hitting Sonic fast and furiously, and I want the reader to be in the same position.

If there's enough interest, I might consider writing something on a grander scale in the future. But for this first attempt, I'd like to leave you wanting more and not outstay my metaphorical welcome.

And no, just to clarify, that doesn't mean the story ends on a cliffhanger :lol:

Just read it myself and thought was a thoroughly enjoyable read! As has already been said, it had humour, great character build-up and overall very professional writing! I definitely look forward to more of the same. :D

Oh, and I loved this quote:

This was no ordinary hat, however – appearance-wise it merely resembled a cowboy hat with a star-like pattern around the perimeter, yet it somehow seemed to radiate a sense of raw power and masculinity. Truly, it was a hat not to be taken lightly.

Couldn't be more true. :lol:

Edited by Swiss

Right, I'm trying to keep things to a regular schedule now so with any luck you'll be seeing the next update within the next week or so.

But just in case I fail to deliver on my promise, here's the title of the next chapter to tide you over and get you excited...

Chapter III: "The Game's Afoot!"

The Sherlock Holmes fanatics amongst you might recognise that quote :P

Personally, I'm looking forward to Sonic chewing on a pipe. ;)

*makes a mental note to include a scene where Sonic chews on a pipe*

:P

• Thumbs Up 1

I've read the first two chapters and it seems pretty interesting so far. Yeah, I kinda wish it was gonna be longer as I feel the story hasn't really gotten into the main plot yet, but that we're still kinda being introduced to the story with the first 2 of 6 chapters. But, it was a nice read!

Just donated £10 to Sonic Relief for the steampunk badnik entries that I received. Not only will they enrich the story, they have enriched the campaign too! :P

I urge you all to donate too if you're enjoying the story so far... and even if you're not, too! Every little helps :)

• Thumbs Up 1