Awoo.

Sonic: The Age of Steam

Doctor MK

NOW ONLINE...

CHAPTER III: THE GAME'S AFOOT!

aos-banner600x200-2.png

"The mystery begins to unravel as Sonic comes face to face with a twisted new reality. Victoria's greatest inventor, Ivo Robotnik, is urging the citizens to herald in the Age of Steam, where his mechanical creations will revolutionise the world - and Sonic is having none of it. But can he convince everyone that Robotnik has evil intentions before they are doomed to an industrial nightmare...?"

Click here to read Chapter III: The Game's Afoot!

As ever, your feedback is welcomed.

Enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 2

This, Rrrrobotnik fellow seems like an awfully good chap, what? That Sonic must have sprung something, acting as such to that poor man, simply dreadful I tell you, those ruffians.

Also seriously why did Sonic PUNCH them. I mean really. He can tear though solid steel as a spinning whirlwind of pinballic death, and he punches it.

Y'know, I was playing Machine Labyrinth Zone, in Sonic Rush Adventure, last night and it really got me in the mood for another chapter of this excellent story... and what do I find, when I log on this morning?! That's just downright spooky!

To the chapter itself, and once again I am in awe of your talent for writing! *applause* You set a vibrant scene and Sonic, especially, continues to be written to perfection. You include references without them being cheesy, depth to the characters without going overboard and the style and tone fits the adventure like a glove... damn fine work, sir, damn fine! The story itself? I adored seeing a kind, generous take on the nefarious Dr. Eggman, and the "Steamniks" were just brilliant! Tails and Knuckles came around to Sonic's way of thinking pretty quickly, but it was sweet, not rushed.

And... HE CHEWED ON A PIPE!! :lol: You, sir, are a genius!

Great cliffhanger ending, too! I wonder what they'll find inside the Citadel? And will Sonic ever get to return to Victoria? I did have a brief theory on where all this is leading last night (again, thanks to Machine Labyrinth Zone) but I'll just have to wait and see!

Also seriously why did Sonic PUNCH them. I mean really. He can tear though solid steel as a spinning whirlwind of pinballic death, and he punches it.

I did consider having him do something else, but it seemed the only viable option for where I wanted the story to go. The Steam Pawns had to get hold of Sonic but obviously he wouldn't have gone down without a fight... but they needed to remain intact and... yeah. Just put it down to Sonic having a bit of a cocky moment. He's just cracked the mystery (or so he thinks) and he's facing off against Eggman once more, so he's got a bit of adrenaline pumping. That and I wanted to display just how tough the steamniks are - it's part of a "real vs machine" theme that will continue into the next couple of chapters.

Y'know, I was playing Machine Labyrinth Zone, in Sonic Rush Adventure, last night and it really got me in the mood for another chapter of this excellent story... and what do I find, when I log on this morning?! That's just downright spooky!

To the chapter itself, and once again I am in awe of your talent for writing! *applause* You set a vibrant scene and Sonic, especially, continues to be written to perfection. You include references without them being cheesy, depth to the characters without going overboard and the style and tone fits the adventure like a glove... damn fine work, sir, damn fine! The story itself? I adored seeing a kind, generous take on the nefarious Dr. Eggman, and the "Steamniks" were just brilliant! Tails and Knuckles came around to Sonic's way of thinking pretty quickly, but it was sweet, not rushed.

And... HE CHEWED ON A PIPE!! :lol: You, sir, are a genius!

Great cliffhanger ending, too! I wonder what they'll find inside the Citadel? And will Sonic ever get to return to Victoria? I did have a brief theory on where all this is leading last night (again, thanks to Machine Labyrinth Zone) but I'll just have to wait and see!

Thank you again for your kind words!

Regarding Tails and Knuckles' relatively sudden change of heart - there's a reason for it. Whether or not it be that Eggman has been tampering with history and they are simply recalling their past (or future, as it were), I cannot yet say... but just in case anyone was wondering that it was a bit quick to go from "I HEART YOU ROBOTNIK!" to "OMG WE MUST DEFEAT ROBOTNIK!", it's intentional. Adding to the enigma an' all that :P

As for the next chapter... it's going to be an interesting one, I tells ya that! (though I'd love to hear your theory at some point ;))

I dropped everything to read the first three chapters, and I'm glad I did. :)

I like the detailed descriptions of the areas and characters, as well as how the characters personalities are portrayed perfectly. The humour is an excellent addition too. I had some "lol" moments while reading.

On a side note, it took a while for me to work out who the other characters were, except for "Lord Snivelton." lol It didn't click until "old man Owl" showed up, who the mayor and his daughter was.

That doesn't have anything to do with your writing style, it's more to do with my lack of obsevational skills and memory.

I also loved the quote about Knuckles hat that Swiss mentioned, although there was a part of it he missed out in his post.

On the downside though, it looked very flammable.

Heehee :D

Edited by DanfieldJ86

Another excellent read, Doctor! I especially love how easy the settings and characters are to visualise while reading, very nicely done! :D

As for theory...I'm willing to bet (a bigger donation perhaps?) that, along with all the other classic references so far, that the Time Stones will be involved somewhere down the line. Call it a gut feeling. x)

Very nice, very nice...

I can't help but feel Sonic would have flicked the pipe into the air before putting in his mouth, but maybe I'm just thinking too much about it...

Also, "Steambug" has a slightly awkward name. They aren't ALL going to have steam in their names, are they? I really hope you aren't going to do "Metal Steamnic" or something... (Steel Sonic?) *shrugs*

Anyway, another interesting read. Seems like you're really getting into your stride now.

Also, "Steambug" has a slightly awkward name. They aren't ALL going to have steam in their names, are they? I really hope you aren't going to do "Metal Steamnic" or something... (Steel Sonic?) *shrugs*

Steam Sonic sounds way cooler.

Also, Doc MK, there is something you need to do. Something that, if not in this story, will make it feel unfinished, not up to it's potential, and lacking. Also you will make me cry.

EX Steampunk Gear. You heard me. Sonic, on a air board (The Blue Steam? Ehhh? EEEHHHHHH?) in a steampunk style. Extra points if the reason he can steer is a giant gear on the bottom or in the back spinning like a fan. Also, instead of green sunglasses, green goggles.

Seriously. Do it.

Steam Sonic sounds way cooler.

Also, Doc MK, there is something you need to do. Something that, if not in this story, will make it feel unfinished, not up to it's potential, and lacking. Also you will make me cry.

EX Steampunk Gear. You heard me. Sonic, on a air board (The Blue Steam? Ehhh? EEEHHHHHH?) in a steampunk style. Extra points if the reason he can steer is a giant gear on the bottom or in the back spinning like a fan. Also, instead of green sunglasses, green goggles.

Seriously. Do it.

As resoundingly genius as that idea is, the poor chap's only got three chapters left! :lol:

Nevertheless... resoundingly genius! :)

Seriously. Do it.

I actually quite like that idea.

*notes it down*

Please feel free to elaborate on any and all details of this steampunk EX Gear :lol:

I actually quite like that idea.

*notes it down*

Please feel free to elaborate on any and all details of this steampunk EX Gear :lol:

Right, I'm going to be a bit swamped with work over the next week or so, so I just want to let you all know that Chapter 4 won't be heading your way for a little while yet. Priorities an' all that.

In the meantime though, if anyone has any questions they want to ask about the story so far (or about what's to come... as long as it's not spoilers, obviously!) or just anything generally about the writing process of The Age of Steam, then by all means feel free to ask.

I'll start by re-posting the seven teasers I gave you all a couple of months ago, crossing off the mysteries that have been solved so far...

1. It’s a storybook adventure. Or is it?

2. Some of the references might go ‘ova’ certain people’s heads. The President, Sara and Old Man Owl from the OVA all appear in the story.

3. He’s got a wrench! Tails has assumed the role of a steampunk inventor.

4. One of the most iconic objects in Sonic history makes its glorious, well overdue return. Knuckles' OVA hat is back at long last!

5. Old foes with new appearances await those who dare enter the Citadel.

6. Hedgehog versus Machine – who will emerge triumphant?

7. All is not quite as it seems.

You'll be finding out the answer to #5 in Chapter 4, though I'm sure it's not that difficult to work out if you've been reading everything so far.

Now, if anyone needs me, I'll be somewhere underneath this huge pile of books. Oh, how I love essays... :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I dropped everything to read the first three chapters, and I'm glad I did. :)

I like the detailed descriptions of the areas and characters, as well as how the characters personalities are portrayed perfectly. The humour is an excellent addition too. I had some "lol" moments while reading.

On a side note, it took a while for me to work out who the other characters were, except for "Lord Snivelton." lol It didn't click until "old man Owl" showed up, who the mayor and his daughter was.

That doesn't have anything to do with your writing style, it's more to do with my lack of obsevational skills and memory.

I also loved the quote about Knuckles hat that Swiss mentioned, although there was a part of it he missed out in his post.

On the downside though, it looked very flammable.

Heehee :D

Yeah lol! I loved those references to the president and Sarah from the OVA. Plus the "flammable hat" sentence made me rotfl.

This is a great work of fanfiction Doc MK, I can't wait to read the next chapter. *eagerly waits at her computer*

• 3 weeks later...

NOW ONLINE...

CHAPTER IV: INTO THE CITADEL

aos-banner600x200-2.png

"It's time to kick into action as Sonic attempts to get back inside the city of Victoria with the help of Tails and Knuckles. The reason? So that he can infiltrate Robotnik's factory and hopefully find some answers to his questions... but what will await him in the Citadel?"

Click here to read Chapter IV: Into The Citadel

It's been a while since the last chapter but The Age of Steam is officially back with a bang. This is undoubtedly the most eventful, most action-packed part of the story so far... so much so that it's basically a bumper-length instalment. For those of you who have been asking for a longer chapter, well, this is your lucky day. In essence, this is two chapters in one, as in my original seven-chapter layout, the first half of this Chapter IV would have been the fourth chapter and the second half the fifth. But I didn't think the first half ended on a particularly exciting note or could really constitute a chapter all by itself... so I've just stuck them both together in one!

Don't expect the final two chapters to be this long. Like I say, this could easily have been split up into two if I had chosen to were it not for the reasons stated above... and you guys have shown me a lot of support for both this project and Sonic Relief, so consider this my treat for you all. Especially as this is the chapter where most of your input can be seen. I've tried to use as many of your ideas as I could that would fit neatly into the story.

Now, if anyone needs me, I'll be having a long lie down.

Enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 2

Well worth the wait, and justified in length... brilliant, Doctor, simply brilliant! :)

Firstly, I'd just like to point out that I fully appreciate the hat. With that said, I'll continue with my praise of the chapter in general! Truckloads of fun little references (like Sonic usually escaping from cities, and the chat with the moon at the beginning) were hardly needed to keep entertainment levels high, but all were welcome! Your original humour was spot-on, too, and I especially chuckled at the Can Opener routine, complete with wagging title screen finger!

Into the Citadel and instantly the descriptive power of your excellent writing style increased the dramatic tension, which was great. I mean, it was fun and games to get inside, but there's always a sinister edge when Dr. Eggman is around (despite Sonic's best efforts to "rock the place" indeed... as I've recently done the same, I was particularly fond of that moment)! The action had genuine peril and was loaded with great adventure, from homing attacks to the requested appearance of a certain mode of transport. And when Dr. Eggman finally showed himself, the encounter delivered all it promised: thrills, intrigue and the promise of a proper showdown!

As for the next chapter, and our shared love of cliffhangers... sir, I can do nothing but applaud in excitement! Can't wait to see what abilities a steampunk... well, you know! *chuckles* Gonna be great!

Outstanding once again, Doctor! Thank you kindly for sharing it with us! :)

As usual, brilliant! In fact, more brilliant than the last few chapters! It's a bit longer too, isn't it? I loved the whole "rock the place" thing, and the nod to Sonic 4.

...In fact, I'd quite like to draw a title page or something for it.

Oh, and I had this idea- I thought I'd ask you about it first though. You see, I'm in a group on Deviant Art called Sonic Unbound. It's a fanfic group that remixes the entirety of the Sonic canon (and some of the stuff that isn't canon too). I'm good friends with the owner of the group, and we frequently have discussions about where we can take the story next- one of the directions was to create a 'radio' version of it- a completely voice-acted episode. And from that, a simply animated version of it.

My point here? I'd like to ask for your permission to create an animated version of Age Of Steam, in the Storybook style of course. What say you?

As usual, brilliant! In fact, more brilliant than the last few chapters! It's a bit longer too, isn't it? I loved the whole "rock the place" thing, and the nod to Sonic 4.

...In fact, I'd quite like to draw a title page or something for it.

It's more than a bit longer, it's more or less twice the length of Chapters 1-3 (individually, that is, not all together!) :P

And by all means feel free to draw a title page, or just any kind of artwork! We've already had some 'cover' artwork from Swiss and Danfield, but it'd be great to see some more!

Oh, and I had this idea- I thought I'd ask you about it first though. You see, I'm in a group on Deviant Art called Sonic Unbound. It's a fanfic group that remixes the entirety of the Sonic canon (and some of the stuff that isn't canon too). I'm good friends with the owner of the group, and we frequently have discussions about where we can take the story next- one of the directions was to create a 'radio' version of it- a completely voice-acted episode. And from that, a simply animated version of it.

My point here? I'd like to ask for your permission to create an animated version of Age Of Steam, in the Storybook style of course. What say you?

An animated version of The Age of Steam...? Of course you have my permission! That's absolutely amazing and I'm flattered that you think my story is good enough for such a thing. If you need any input from me or if I can help with anything at all, just let me know - I honestly feel very honoured, especially as this is a project that's acting as my personal send-off for Sonic Relief, so to see it getting so much love, I really appreciate it! I just hope the final two chapters live up to the same standard!

Speaking of which...

Chapter V: End of the Line will be rolling its way down the tracks and pulling into the station soon, hopefully within the next week!

Right, seeing as we've got just over 2 weeks left until Sonic Relief 2011 comes to a close - and ideally I want this story finished by then - I'm going to try and get Chapter V done by the end of this week and Chapter VI by the end of next week.

In the meantime, here's a sneak preview of Chapter V: End of the Line...

“The final hour is at hand. Sonic prepares for his showdown with Robotnik’s ultimate creation, as the fate of Victoria hangs in the balance. It’s hedgehog versus machine – and only one can triumph. The time for answers has come, but is the villain of the piece who Sonic thinks it is?”

Oh, and I think this picture sums up the ending of Chapter IV pretty well (spoilers if you haven't read it yet, obviously):

101228_metal_sonic-e1293563369424.jpg

Stay tuned, folks ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, this is just a quick post to explain the serious lack of updates over the last couple of weeks.

My intention was to have Chapter V up and running by now, and Chapter VI sometime next week, but obviously that isn't the case. I have started work on Chapter V, but I have been so bogged down with uni work lately that I haven't found the time to finish it, and whenever I have had a spare moment it's always been too late to get stuck into writing or I've felt worn out from the work and haven't had the energy to sit down for a good couple of hours and type out a chapter (seriously, the workload we have at this moment in time is ridiculous).

I assure you it was not my intention to be so behind on these last two chapters, especially as it's the big climax to the story you've all been kind enough to read over the last couple of months, and I'm as disappointed as you guys probably are. I will endeavour to get Chapter V online over the next few days, and hopefully Chapter VI too before the end of the Sonic Relief campaign if I can. But in the meantime, accept my humblest apologies for being behind schedule and know that the rest of the story is coming - I just can't say when exactly.

Thank you kindly for your ongoing patience...!

Edited by Doctor MK
  • Thumbs Up 1

NOW ONLINE...

CHAPTER V: END OF THE LINE

aos-banner600x200-2.png

“The final hour is at hand. Sonic prepares for his showdown with Robotnik’s ultimate creation, as the fate of Victoria hangs in the balance. It’s hedgehog versus machine – and only one can triumph. The time for answers has come, but is the villain of the piece who Sonic thinks it is?”

Click here to read Chapter V: End of the Line

It's finally here! Apologies for the delay but as you can see, this chapter turned out to be another bumper-length one due to have so much action to fit into it. Seeing as I've got a bigger uni workload than ever at the moment, I'm just relieved to have this out of the way! I hope it's up to the usual standard, I've tried to do it the best I can despite having other priorities on my mind at the moment.

Anyway, only one more chapter to go now guys! It'll be a shorter one so I think I'll be able to get it done before the end of the Sonic Relief campaign now. However, to buck my usual trend of revealing the next chapter title in advance, I'm going to hold off this time. Telling you what it is would spoil the ending! But if you want to look back on all the clues and hints in previous chapters, I'm sure you can guess where it might be heading... ;)

Enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 1