Awoo.

Sonic: The Age of Steam

Doctor MK

Huzzah! More steamy (not that kind) adventures! :D

Loved the tension of the countdown: that cheeky little extra bit of waiting! And everybody's personalities, I find myself wanting to say once again, were spot-on (especially Knuckles with his little "told you so" moment, and the theatricals of Dr. Eggman). Right down to the little touches, too, like the clock on Metal Sonic's stomach... perfect! Really all comes together to create a world right out of the best the franchise has to offer! Helps make the story authentic, above and beyond most fan fiction! Be proud!

The core of the challenge (no spoilers for those yet to read) was excellent, highly exciting and filled with yet more great references! And such drama, too! It definitely took a surprising twist there, and I don't mind admitting I was completely caught off-guard!

Oh, and the hat still rules...! :lol:

Definitely worth the wait, good sir, and a wonderfully meaningful conclusion to the encounter! I can't wait for the final chapter to neatly wrap this up: of course, a tad short, but oh-so-sweet! Thank you kindly for sharing!

Thank you again for your positive comments, Glenn! Glad you enjoyed it!

Really all comes together to create a world right out of the best the franchise has to offer! Helps make the story authentic, above and beyond most fan fiction! Be proud!

I am certainly amazed that The Age of Steam has gathered such a following despite it being my first foray into the world of fan-fiction (or indeed the world of any fully-fledged story writing). It's really encouraging to hear such praise, especially with things like character portrayal, as these characters mean a lot to me as I'm sure they mean a lot to you readers, too! If I can do that spiky blue 'hog justice, then that's me happy!

Definitely worth the wait, good sir, and a wonderfully meaningful conclusion to the encounter! I can't wait for the final chapter to neatly wrap this up: of course, a tad short, but oh-so-sweet! Thank you kindly for sharing!

Chapter VI will definitely tie up all the loose ends, and it will reward those who have been paying attention to small little references throughout the first five chapters. It will also give a reasonable explanation as to why the story was only a short one. Of course, there are real-life reasons for the length - as aforementioned, this is my first attempt at a big writing project like this, and so I didn't want to overstrech myself. I also wanted it to coincide with Sonic Relief 2011, starting and ending at roughly the same time. That and university work eats up so much of my time, as proven by the constant delays with releasing new chapters (and also the reason why I am calling quits on Sonic Relief after this year).

But as they say - always leave 'em wanting more, rather than outstay your welcome!

The Age of Steam has, and will continue to be in the final chapter, a test for me. It's showing me that, not only can I pull through the struggles of a proper writing process, but that I can do it well. Needless to say, that will encourage me in the future with any further projects. I'll just let you wait and see how this one ends first! ;)

Now, for all the budding detectives out there, here's an updated list of the teaser clues so you know what to expect from Chapter VI (spoilered for those who have not read Chapter V yet)...

1. It’s a storybook adventure. Or is it?

2. Some of the references might go ‘ova’ certain people’s heads. The President, Sara and Old Man Owl from the OVA all appear in the story.

3. He’s got a wrench! Tails has assumed the role of a steampunk inventor.

4. One of the most iconic objects in Sonic history makes its glorious, well overdue return. Knuckles' OVA hat is back at long last!

5. Old foes with new appearances await those who dare enter the Citadel. All hail the steamniks! And is that... Metal Sonic?

6. Hedgehog versus Machine – who will emerge triumphant? Sonic defeats Metal Sonic in the final showdown.

7. All is not quite as it seems.

So... #1 and #7 remain... speculate away!

• Thumbs Up 1

NOW ONLINE...

CHAPTER VI: ?????? ????????

aos-banner600x200-2.png

The final chapter of The Age of Steam is here (how's that for being on-schedule, eh)! Seeing as this is the chapter that brings the whole story together, I'm keeping everything to do with it in this topic a secret for the time being - I realise a lot of you may not have even read Chapter V yet!

But make sure you do read the first five chapters, and once you have, click on the image below and all will become clear.

Go into the light...

26-gorgeous-aurora-and-colour-spectrum-wallpapers.jpg

And now some closing comments from me:

Thank you to everyone who has made it through all six chapters, and to everyone who has shown support for the project during its course. It's been one hell of a ride and I can't quite believe I've finally reached the end of it. At last, I can rest...! :lol:

Your feedback and comments throughout have been greatly appreciated and I hope that you've been able to see the fruits of your input in the story itself - either through characters you designed, ideas you suggested, or just your general influence on my writing! It's been a thrill to be able to share this story with you, but for you all to have enjoyed it and given me so much of a positve reaction... well, I can't quite put into words how much it means to me! As my personal contribution to the final Sonic Relief campaign, I am proud. I feel I have done it justice and, most importantly, it's helped to bring some members of the community together to share in enjoying it. And that makes it all worthwhile.

Will I write another Sonic fan-fiction in the future? I wouldn't rule it out, though I'd make sure I had the time to be able to bring you a bigger, more regularly-released story before I did. This has been a taster of my talent, a brief showcase (to myself as much as to you!) of what I am capable of. If you want to see me tackle something like this again, then by all means, let me know!

Before I sign off for the night, seeing as this has all been for Sonic Relief, I am obliged to leave this here (especially as we're oh so close to the £1,000 milestone now):

sonicrelief2donate-1.png

As for the world of The Age of Steam... you may not have seen the last of it ;)

Choo choo!

• Thumbs Up 1

Since I've not had the time until now, I've only just gotten around to reading Chapter 5. It was nice that I could go straight into Chapter 6 too! :lol:

As usual, great writing, excellent telling of the atmosphere and I could picture it all in my head with ease. You've created a great story here, and your writing style complements it perfectly! I'd love to see you try and tackle another project someday, and definitely wouldn't pass up more on this world!

Now MK, go rest. You deserve it!

The rest of you, get donating! £30 left until the £1000 mark, let's see Sonic Relief go out with a bang, shall we? :D

Okay, first of all, target achieved. ;)

Of course, to everybody reading, please keep donating! If you've enjoyed this fan fiction project, at which Doctor MK has worked so hard and so heroically, then the least you can do is give what you can to a noble, helpful and heroic charity.

And congratulations to Sonic Relief... what an amazing fanbase we are, eh? :)

The final chapter (blue nose and everything) was excellent work as usual, Doctor! A perfect coda to the mysterious adventures, and a little more than the "it was all a dream" or "he was in the shower the entire time" which added a healthy dose of magic! Great to see the proper Tails back, too, and you captured his modern persona wonderfully (half walking dictionary, half awesome best friend)! And as I was reading that final scene, with the pipe and the storybook, I realised I was grinning from ear to ear.

That's a great power you've discovered about yourself, my friend. You can write... damn, you can write. :)

Outstanding stuff! Thank you so much!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just read it all and I have to say Congratulations. This genuinly feels like it would fit into the Storybook series. Especially the ending that the name appears in the book. Also, why do I find it quite cute that Tails says "Bless You" after Sonic sneezes?

• 2 months later...

Blimey, it's been a while since we had a post in this topic!

Anyway, this isn't an important update or anything like that, it's just to inform you of an interesting little tidbit I discovered during a recent readthrough of Sonic the Hedgehog in Robotnik's Laboratory, the first book in the series of old Sonic novels. Specifically, I refer to a quote at the bottom of page 39:

"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

Now, this is a quote from a classic Sherlock Holmes tale and those of you who have read Chapter 6 of The Age of Steam will recognise it as I used it as part of Tails' dialogue at one point. So when I came across this exact same quote in the old novel, I had to do a double take! It's even Tails who uses the quote, while speaking to Sonic! Pretty much the exact same context! For a second I thought I was actually reading my own story!

So yeah, that's a cool yet unintentional piece of continuity between the old novels and my fan-fiction! :D It sure is interesting to stumble upon things like this!

In other news, just so this topic bump isn't entirely pointless, I might put together a PDF or something in the near future consisting of The Age of Steam in its entirity - not just the story, but the entire project, with all the artwork and (of course) all six chapters put together like an actual book that, should you really wish to, you could print off and read! Or just keep it saved on your computer as a "collector's edition" or whatever. If anything thinks this is a good idea, let me know! Or indeed, if you'd like a copy of such an edition (as I imagine I'd just e-mail it out to people who wanted it), register your interest! :P

Edited by Doctor MK
  • Thumbs Up 3

That's...actually pretty spooky. O_o

On the PDFs...I think it's a great idea! A great way to commemorate all the effort everyone put into the project, especially you MK! I'll take 10*!

*Note: Only one copy would be needed, Although I could copy it 10 times, though what would be the need? 10 copies would be nice in case my PC blew up...though I'm sure I could back up just the one...or two...or hope for the best. 10 copies...OPEN AT ONCE! I'll stop now. :3

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic’s 20th anniversary is less than one week away, so it’s time for a whopping The Age of Steam announcement blow-out to celebrate!

Firstly, here's some photographic proof of that unintentional continuity from Sonic in Robotnik's Laboratory...

omgcontinuity.jpg

...and now onto the good stuff!

SONIC: THE AGE OF STEAM - COLLECTOR’S PDF

taos-dx1.jpgtaos-dx2.jpgtaos-dx3.jpgtaos-dx4.jpg

Think The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is the best re-imagining of a classic in 2011? Well, you’re probably right, but the Age of Steam: Collector’s PDF comes pretty close! Consisting of fifty – that’s right, fifty! – pages, this high quality PDF version of the story consists of all six chapters in a neat, easy-to-read format, plus pages of the artwork that you guys submitted to help make this a project to remember! Oh, and there’s a special foreword by me too. It’s everything from the Age of Steam project, crammed into one digital package! Simply get in touch with me if you’d like a copy and I shall e-mail it out to you so you can read/enjoy/deface it as you please!

SONIC: THE AGE OF STEAM 2

sonictaos2banner-1.png

Time for a slightly more unexpected announcement! I said after the completion of The Age of Steam that I’d be interested in writing another Sonic fan-fiction, and indeed one set in the same world. There’s still a lot of untapped potential in Victoria, so I am pleased to reveal I am considering such a sequel.

Emphasis is on the “considering” though. I am perhaps revealing this prematurely, partly to coincide with the 20th anniversary and partly because I have been itching to update my avatar and signature with the artwork I put together for it. But this is a project that I cannot put a date on, or even a format. Or even a definite confirmation, really. It’s no secret that writing The Age of Steam was a bit of a struggle due to having lots of things going on, and these will continue to take priority. The Age of Steam 2 (which probably won’t actually be called that) will see a more relaxed, leisurely approach to it. It won’t be constrained by strict deadlines and if I do anything special for it like with the first one, things will revolve around the fan-fic, rather than the fan-fic revolving around something else.

You could see something of this over the summer, or it could be next summer. I simply cannot say. I have plenty of other writing commitments going on at the moment, and I don’t wish to overload myself with too much of the same thing, so don’t expect anything much any time soon. It’ll be later rather than sooner. I just wanted you all to know that The Age of Steam 2, in concept at least, will hopefully be coming at some point in the future. It could take many different forms and, ultimately, the question of how much time I can put into it will determine which I decide upon.

I already have a good idea of what the story of a sequel would entail, but by all means feel free to chip in with any ideas of your own should you wish. It’d be interesting to hear what everyone would imagine an Age of Steam sequel being like.

Sherlock Sonic will return!

That’s all for now – gotta speed, keeds! ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

A return to Victoria, eh? I'd love that! You wrote the first 'Age of Steam' so well, it'd be a real shame to not see you do more!

Yes, yes and thrice, yes. :)

Excellent update, Doctor! Even the mention of the possibility of considering a sequel is enough to get me hyper-excited (that's x7 normal excitements, plus x7 Super Excitements and a cool glowing ghost effect when I move)! I wish you the very best of luck, and offer any assistance you may need!

• 2 weeks later...

Just another little update following SOS yesterday! Thanks to those of you who came up to me and made comments about either The Age of Steam or Sonic Relief, it's always great to hear nice things about stuff which I've put a lot of effort into :)

If nothing else, yesterday pretty much cemented my decision to do Sonic: The Age of Steam 2 (tentative title). The enthusiasm some of you showed for the first story... well, how could I possibly let you down now!

Again, I can't say when you'll actually be seeing this sequel. It all depends on when I find the time to not only write it, but think it all through first! I will reveal however that the story will continue to be (extremely loosely) influenced by the Sherlock Holmes tales, and that the inspiration for TAOS2 comes from this piece of Sonic Unleashed artwork...

Sonic_Unleashed_Artwork_-_Sonic_The_Hedgehog_And_Sonic_The_Werehog_Spagonia.png

Make of that what you will. But it's not necessarily as simple an idea as you may think ;)

Stay tuned, folks!

*chews end of pipe*

• Thumbs Up 1

To anybody who hasn't read this marvellous story yet, I highly reccommend the PDF for optimal viewing. It was also great seeing everyone's Steam Badnik entries again, my favourutes are still the Motobug and Sprite set. Excellent work by all though!

I'm definitely anticipating the sequel, hopefully the wait won't be too long! ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Following some great new artwork by the ever-talented Danfield - you can see a sneak peek of it in my new avatar! - I'm officially in an Age of Steam mood, which means it's time for a little something I like to call...

ugotsteampunkd-1.png

While I asked for input during the early production stages of the original story, namely with the steampunk badnik designs, I had already come up with the general plot outline and direction for the tale in advance of that. And while I have got the basic idea for the story of the sequel already in mind, I'm looking for you guys to get a bit more involved early on. Who knows, it might shape this next chapter in a whole different way!

One of the big draws of The Age of Steam II is going to be an expanded cast. The original was very much intended to feel like a "classic" adventure with only Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik having large roles, but this sequel will open things up a bit. So basically, what I want to know from you guys, is:

What characters from the Sonic universe - be it games, comics, or otherwise - do you think would fit into the world of The Age of Steam? And more specifically, how?

Most of the key characters from the first story will be back, so I'm looking for different suggestions. Be as outrageous, as obscure - or even as obvious - as you like!

I won't necessarily use all of your suggestions in the final story, and I've already got a few characters in mind, but regardless it'd be interesting to see what ideas you have of your own. Note: this isn't an artwork thing like with the steampunk badniks - yet - but if you feel like doing a little something to accompany your ideas, then be my guest! Anything and everything is welcome, as ever!

Get (steam)punkin' those Sonic characters! :P

Edited by Doctor MK
  • Thumbs Up 2

Blaze as a vigilante, inspired by Sonic's acts of heroism, fighting off thieves and such where Robotnik's robots cannot. No pyrokinesis, but she wears a gas tank on her back, which is connected to a mechanism on her wrists which shoots and ignites the gas, like Spiderman if Spiderman had fire instead of webs.

Hmm. Well we had a Steam Punk Extreme Gear in the last one. I can see Jet being a professional rider.

Why can I imagine it now that the story may have a "Hound of the Baskervilles" feel with the Unleashed pic?

I'd quite like to see Shadow as an arrogant nobleman who believes anything Sonic can do, he can do better- to the point he commissions a pair of steam powered rollerskates from Eggman so he can beat the blue blur in a test of speed.

Or maybe captain of the guards or something? Although, I'd prefer the nobleman thing! XD

Also, I had a thought that Silver could be a travelling magician? Just an idea. Or indeed, a peasant trying to woo the charming Lady Blaze? *shot*

Or better yet, both!

Quick edit- Re-reading that... God, I sound like a fanboy. Unintentional, I assure you!

Edited by ProfessorZolo

My suggestion is already on record, but I'm really fascinated by the other ideas being put forward above this post. It'll be an excellent showcase of certain characters, to see them from an alternate viewpoint in new surroundings, not to mention another great showcase of the writing talents of a particular Doctor!

Interesting to get two mentions of Blaze (or indeed Lady Blaze) already... nicely coupled with the idea of Silver, who I see fitting quite nicely into a Victorian timeframe/setting... but heck, whoever's along for the ride, it'll be awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

Very true, Glenn. Whoever we see, it'd no doubt be brilliant. In fact, the more obscure the character, the better perhaps? I suppose with an old, forgotten character, there are fewer notions of how the character should be.

But then again, with Age of Steam, the characters are completely different anyway, so...?

Eh, whatever.

Hm. If they are totally different, there's no reson for Shadow to even HAVE a rivalry with Sonic in it. Although, I still imagine him as some kind of noble.

Oh. Fang. I think he could look pretty badass with his bike redesigned for a steampunk setting.

Another quick edit: I did some quick doodles of how Shadow, Silver, Blaze and Jet might look. You, uh, wanna see?

Edited by ProfessorZolo

Another quick edit: I did some quick doodles of how Shadow, Silver, Blaze and Jet might look. You, uh, wanna see?

You bet I do! ;)

Cheers for all the suggestions so far, guys - rest assured I am taking them all on board!

Oh, uh, okay. I wasn't expecting that. Umm...Hang on, I'll put them up on DA first. It seems they're a little too large to upload on here.

EDIT: Okay, done. Here we go-

http://fav.me/d3l5yzk is Jet

http://fav.me/d3l5z5s is Shadow

http://fav.me/d3l5zdh is Silver

http://fav.me/d3l5ze1 and http://fav.me/d3l5zjr are Blaze (I couldn't pick one design, so I uploaded both).

I tried to keep as much of their original designs as possible. Also, sorry I couldn't add some colour- I don't have time right now. I can do so later though, if you'd like?

Edited by ProfessorZolo
  • Thumbs Up 2

EDIT: Okay, done. Here we go-

http://fav.me/d3l5yzk is Jet

http://fav.me/d3l5z5s is Shadow

http://fav.me/d3l5zdh is Silver

http://fav.me/d3l5ze1 and http://fav.me/d3l5zjr are Blaze (I couldn't pick one design, so I uploaded both).

Um... wow! Just... wow! You can draw! :) They're excellent!

I love your two versions of Blaze. I can totally picture a story mechanic working in both designs: maybe she's an upper class lady who sneaks out into the Victorian streets to encounter adventure and excitement, therefore meeting Sonic and his friends? Regardless, they're excellent drawings!

Shadow's sneakers are pure gold, too, absolutely pure gold! Great idea!

Was randomly playing five minutes of Sonic Unleashed, just for laughs, earlier and suddenly pictured Chip turning up as a wise-cracking street urchin, complete with flat cap and smudges of chimney soot on his cheeks. Given the picture of the Werehog above...?

Wow, Professor! Those designs look freakin' sweet!! :D

Awesome work. I like the ideas too, plus Blaze in a dress is totally kawaii. ^-^ (cute.)

I would love to draw them myself, but alas, I should wait. I'm drawing a couple more things for the first Age of Steam before moving up to the sequel. Although with no deadline there is less pressure to get things finished in a hurry. :P

I've already shared some ideas and am currently dry, atm. I figured I'd drop by and share the full picture of what Doc MK was referencing earlier. B)

sherlockthehedgehog2.th.png

If anybody else wants something Age of Steam related to be expressed through the medium of....drawing, I could give it a go. Assuming MK is okay with it, but why wouldn't he be? ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, those drawings are incredible Professor! I'm really awaiting news now, I'll maybe give some drawings a shot.

Also, Silver in a hat. This is so full of awesome.