Awoo.

Sonic: The Age of Steam

Doctor MK

Was randomly playing five minutes of Sonic Unleashed, just for laughs, earlier and suddenly pictured Chip turning up as a wise-cracking street urchin, complete with flat cap and smudges of chimney soot on his cheeks. Given the picture of the Werehog above...?

Your wish is my command! It will be done!

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I appreciate it!

I had a few more ideas, and I'll have sketches to go along with them soon- you see, going off the Werehog image, we're moving to Unleashed now (a Jekyll and Hyde type story?). As such, it seems fitting to bring a few Unleashed characters along for the ride, eh?

Here's what I thought- Professor Pickle is the, or at least a, bad guy this time. Along with his assistant, they form a Robotnik/ Snivelly type partnership. But naturally, it's been some time since Sonic last visited this place, so technology has moved on a little- Robotnik now has Unleashed style 'steamniks' at his command. For positive use, of course, including the Steam Assailant (Egg Fighter), the Rotator (Spinner) and his new flying facility, the Steam Basin (Egg Cauldron).

But that's not all! Sonic is a detective, like Sherlock Holmes, correct? But what is a detective without the police to do their footwork for them? I propose that Vector is the head of the police force (complete with gramophone instead of headphones) and Espio as an aspiring constable who takes his job very seriously (I was thinking about him being a 'mysterious warrior from an eastern land', but that's a little cliché). Charmy? I don't know. He's too young to be a member of the police- a street urchin that Vector feels sorry for and adopts?

And whatever the case, I'd like to see a NiGHTS cameo in there somewhere, even if it's just a tiny passing mention.

I am liking some of these ideas! Quite a few of them are close to certain things that I had in mind, actually, so that's pretty much cemented those into the story. I won't tell you which ones just yet though, got to keep you guessing after all! :P

I see a lot of you are picking up on the Werehog picture - so to confirm, the Werehog will be in the story. But how and why... well, that's a revelation for another time ;)

Keep your ideas coming!

• Thumbs Up 1

Your wish is my command! It will be done!

I wasn't saying it like that! :D Please don't go to any effort on my random account!

Hello, me again! Back with a few more doodly designs for things. I do HAVE designs for the Steam Assailant (Egg Fighter) and Steam Basin (Egg Cauldron), but they're nowhere near good enough yet. I'll upload them when they are.

But for now, here we go!

http://fav.me/d3ogxlr is Vector. I feel he'd suit the role as police chief, or something similar.

http://fav.me/d3oh4g0 is Espio. Again, a policeman, but a constable instead of the commanding role that Vector has. I was toying with him being a 'mystical eastern warrior', but this is basically Britain. We don't see many of those, do we?

http://fav.me/d3ohi0a is NiGHTS. I feel he/she would fit well as either a jester working for Shadow, or a member of Silver's travelling group, if he indeed HAS a group to travel with.

http://fav.me/d3ohs0d As requested (sort of), Chip the street urchin. It's a bit bad, but hey, most of my work is.

http://fav.me/d3oiaga is the first of Robotnik's new mechs, the Steam Rotator.

http://fav.me/d3oit70 And this is a little tenuous, but could be special if played right- Classic Sonic, as himself, on his very own mission around the streets of Victoria.

Thoughts? Requests? I'll happily draw almost any character in any gear, so ask away!

• Thumbs Up 3

A second one. :3

Will it have more pictures in it? Like illustrations maybe? I like it when stories have illustrations. :V

http://fav.me/d3ohs0d As requested (sort of), Chip the street urchin. It's a bit bad, but hey, most of my work is.

It's a bit genius, more like! That's exactly what I was thinking! :)

Thank you kindly for drawing my thoughts!

A second one. :3

Will it have more pictures in it? Like illustrations maybe? I like it when stories have illustrations. :V

If there's enough demand for illustrations - and of course, enough artists willing to draw them - then I shall certainly consider it!

I want to ramp up the "audience participation" levels for The Age of Steam II so you'll no doubt eventually see artwork of scenes from the story, be it when the actual chapters are released or otherwise. That and there'll be plenty of other ways to get involved art-wise, such as the current discussion of which characters would fit into the steampunk universe.

If anyone has any ideas for ways they'd like to be able to get involved, just let me know! ;)

Well, I know this is extremely late, but I finally had time to hurry up and finish my steampunk version of my favorite Badnik for the story. Sorry, that it took me so long, MK. One thing led to another, my projects kept piling up and I almost forgot about this. (No offense.)

But I'm moving back into it, full swing! Already started reading it, and loving it so far! I'll be sure to give you my full judgment once I complete all the chapters! But this has to be said now though... Dude, you have a amazing writing skill. Seriously, man. Keep it up!

Anyway, here's my Badnik! The Steampunk'd Egg Hammer.

steamegghammercopy.png

The Egg Hammer was one of my favorite enemies to take down in Sonic Heroes. They were big, look cool and open spinning can of whoopass. Decided not to color it in in order to finish it faster, and I made sure to make it resemble a steampunk design and artstyle the best I could without adding the classic sepia tone effects one would expect for this. I even gave it a top hat and monocle because... Quite. *rimshot.*

I'm might make another one. Been tinkering with an interesting idea for Coconuts. Anyway, hope you like!

Edited by YoshiUnity am not Drunk
  • Thumbs Up 2

YoshiUnity, your artwork may be late but it is most certainly worth the wait - seriously, wow, that's an astounding picture! Makes me wish I could go back and include your design into the first story... but what's to say I won't have the chance to use him in the upcoming sequel, eh? ;)

I am glad you are enjoying your readthrough so far, and many thanks for the compliments about my writing abilities. It means a great deal to me, and positive feedback is always welcome! :)

I had a small idea. If we have Shadow instigate a rivalry, what grounds does he have? Well I thought someone could manipulate him. A mentor or someone he trusts. Though he probably shouldn't. Enter Professor Mephiles.

professor_mephiles_design_by_dr_spudhead-d412dh8.jpg

I'm in a generous mood, so you know what that means... it's update time!

SONIC: THE AGE OF STEAM II

CURSE OF THE DAMNED

taos2-werehog1.png

A few months after the events of The Age of Steam, it is a prosperous time for the city of Victoria. Everything is running smoothly and a bright future can be seen for all. But no one could have foreseen the darkness that lurks in the shadows. When night falls, a foul creature begins to prowl the streets, threatening all those who stand in its way. The citizens must choose to fight myth with myth, and so call upon the help of a speedy hedgehog whose deeds have been passed down as legend... but is even Sonic a match for the mystical beast?

Sonic: The Age of Steam II - Curse of the Damned is coming late 2011. Be afraid, be very afraid.

To coincide with this announcement, I'm also launching a new official blog which will encompass both the first story and the new one in one neat, easy-to-enjoy package: http://sonictaos.blogspot.com/

And that's about all there is to say for the time being. There is no set 'schedule' as such for the story's release, it'll come as and when it's ready, so I can only ask for your patience when things finally get underway. Rest assured though, it will all be done eventually :P

Let the speculation commence!

• Thumbs Up 2

12 chapters?! Blimey, you're going to have your work cut out for you! Still, luckily there's no deadline to adhere to this time, so the best of luck to you and I look forward any future updates!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 chapters?! Blimey, you're going to have your work cut out for you! Still, luckily there's no deadline to adhere to this time, so the best of luck to you and I look forward any future updates!

I'll clarify - 12 chapters is just what I currently have pencilled in based on my general outline for the story. It may end up being less depending on how much I can develop certain plot points, and not all of the chapters will necessarily be the same length, so we'll just have to wait and see. I know I (and all of you guys, I'm sure) want it to be longer than the first one's 6 chapters, at the very least.

And you're right about the lack of a deadline. Which does unfortunately mean that there may be times when I have to leave you all hanging for a while, but this is a project I fully intend to see through to the end, however long it takes. Think of this as my replacement-of-sorts for Sonic Relief in 2012 - except it will be a lot less time-consuming and stressful on my end, hopefully. I mean, you guys don't realise it yet, but your input thus far has made things a heck of a lot easier for me to come up with ideas ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, sounds excellent! Really sounds like "Hound of the Baskervilles" which is good stuff, works well if you ask me. 12 chapters? Sounds good to me! Looking forward to seeing what you incorporate from fan ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

My oh my, it certainly feels like a fair ol' while since our last update, so here's another one for you all!

Having thought about it, my original plan to do twelve chapters was... a bit ambitious, shall we say. Especially as some of those chapters were basically just filler and padding, whereas they could just be reduced to smaller sections within other chapters or removed entirely. So my new plan is to do ten chapters. It may still be whittled down to nine depending on how it goes when I actually start writing, but I very much doubt it will sink any lower than nine and if I can stick to the current ten, then I will.

So, why am I blabbing on about chapters, you ask? Because today, I present to you a list of the tentative titles for each one, that's why!

Sonic: The Age of Steam II - Curse of the Damned

1. Creature in the Night

2. Return to Victoria

3. Myths and Legends

4. Call to Arms

5. To Catch a Werehog

6. Live and Learn

7. Just Call Me Sherlock

8. The Burning Truth

9. War on the Moor

10. The New Dawn

Feel free to make of those what you will, and I'll no doubt be providing even more teaser-ific updates for you in the coming weeks and months ;)

• Thumbs Up 6

Ah, a call to arms, you say?

You, sir, are awesome. biggrin.gif Those chapter titles sound incredible (I always loved coming up with episode/chapter titles)!

Glad to hear you're keeping the creative process fluid, too. I'm certain your natural approach will lead to a tidy pace throughout, something your professional writing style highlighted during The Age of Steam. The story comes first, and I've no doubt you've got it perfectly lined up... can't wait to read it!

Best of luck, and thanks for the teaser!

Ah, a call to arms, you say?

Yes indeed, there will be a call to arms. Of sorts. Let's just say that Sonic's got a much bigger mystery to solve this time around, one that threatens to change the very future of Victoria itself... expect some rather epic stuff ;)

In fact, thinking about it, this sequel is going to be quite a bit darker than the original. Not in a Shadow the Hedgehog kinda way where everyone starts swearing, but just in tone. As well as the aforementioned "call to arms", of course, which may or may not be as literal as it sounds. You'll have to wait and see on that. But from the opening of the first chapter, you'll know that this is a very different tale, for sure (though hopefully the title, Curse of the Damned, gave that impression already :lol:)

More in due course!

• Thumbs Up 1

Call to... arm... s...

Waaaaaaaaaaiiiiiit. The Werehog has arms you'd need a different phone book to be able to call!

/totallyreadingtoomuchintoverylittle

• Thumbs Up 3

Say...I am liking those titles, but I can't help wondering if the "Call to Arms" is referancing either the Werehog or someone else I happen to know about. Colour me intrigued. (Although I already was.)

On a slightly related note, I couldn't help but notice someone else drew you a Shelock The Hedgehog picture, should I be offended? It's even better than mine. *sniff* lol

Say...I am liking those titles, but I can't help wondering if the "Call to Arms" is referancing either the Werehog or someone else I happen to know about. Colour me intrigued. (Although I already was.)

No comment ;) Though I should probably reveal that particular somebody sometime soon, I guess. There's plenty more surprises to come yet!

On a slightly related note, I couldn't help but notice someone else drew you a Shelock The Hedgehog picture, should I be offended? It's even better than mine. *sniff* lol

Offended? Heavens, no. I still love your picture too - I just thought it would be cool to see what Sonic with a pipe looked like in Demofax's scribble style, as he was offering! You're still very much the main artist for The Age of Steam, fear not :)

• 2 months later...

Hello all! Gee, it sure has been a while since anyone last posted here. A good two months have passed and I think it's fair to say that I have been very busy with other things, so I've had to prioritise somewhat. As such, progress on Curse of the Damned is going quite a bit slower than I first intended, but don't worry, you'll get to see it one of these days. It might be a way off, but I'll get round to it eventually, a bit at a time.

However, I do have something special for you all this coming Monday seeing as it's Halloween... so be afraid, very afraid! (or rather: be excited, very excited!). Don't get expecting anything too huge, but it'll be a little something to whet your appetite, nevertheless - so be sure to look forward to it!

• Thumbs Up 2

:D I can't wait!

Seriously, never read such a well done Sonic fic that somehow, someway, used the steampunk theme (AND WORKED). Can't wait to read Curse!

Happy Halloween, everybody! Given the themes that are to be explored in the upcoming Curse of the Damned, it feels only right that on this particular holiday I should give you some special updates. And so, it's time for...

THE AGE OF STEAM 2 - TRICK OR TREAT!

Well, Trick and Treat to be precise. That's right, I'm so nice I'm giving you both! Two massively exciting updates to whet your appetites in preparation for the new tale.

TRICK

Perhaps "trick" is the wrong word. More "tease", but "tease and treat" just sounds... well, wrong, frankly. Anyway. Just like I gave you seven clues for the first Age of Steam, here's a new set of seven for Curse of the Damned. I warn you now, some of them are pretty cryptic...

1. There’s something that can only happen once in a blue moon. Or maybe twice.

2. Darkness lay in wait for those who bear an unfortunate name.

3. An ancient chant is the key to the gateway.

4. Mythology to one is reality to another.

5. Even the most unlikely can be damned.

6. Many a revelation can be found in the shadows.

7. Someone has been wanted for generations.

Feel free to speculate!

TREAT

Now, this really is a treat. This is something I originally had no intention of doing, but seeing as progress on Curse of the Damned is going far slower than I anticipated, I thought I ought to give you all a little something for your patience. And so my Halloween gift to you all is this, a "lost prologue" that introduces you to the second story. It's short but hopefully sweet, and with any luck it'll bring you right back up to speed in readiness for when the new chapters start rolling in! I hope you enjoy!

LOST PROLOGUE:

THE RUNAWAY TRAIN

A chill wind blew across the vast surface of the moor, its influence amplified by the dark and stillness of the surroundings that night. Hills and plains lay in shadow as far as the eye could see in every direction. The land would have sat in a shrill and perfect silence were it not for the clanking metal of a steam train’s wheels turning, echoing through the quiet. Softly but loudly, the proud and gleaming scarlet body of the Queen Aleena chugged along the rickety track built into the damp, grassy floor below it. Behind her, she carried a queue of carriages, each containing an array of materials – both large and small, from far and wide. It was this cargo, like many a similar cargo before it, that was to go towards furthering the city of Victoria’s prosperous age of steam by helping to build more of the great inventor Ivo Robotnik’s technological marvels, the Steamniks. In the months following their introduction, they had become a groundbreaking phenomenon, with the whole of the Spagonia continent in awe of Victoria’s industrial revolution. Given time, Robotnik’s creations would spread beyond the walls of the city and into the world outside so that it too could share in its glory, but for now, Victoria was to be the sole destination for these goods – and with the much celebrated Festival of the Moon upon the townsfolk, they were needed more than ever.

Clickety-clack she went.

Clickety-clack down the track.

A thin layer of fog began to gather around the train, not unusual for this time of night on the moor. The driver, conscious to double check he could see his route adequately, placed his head out of the window of the engine and into the cool dusk air. He could still make out the track ahead. All systems go. His mind reassured, he took the opportunity to gaze up at the glistening sky – the stars twinkling as they burned a million light years away, and the moon shining a distinct shade of blue, as it did for a certain time only once every fifty years. The colour was still in its early stages and so was only a light tint at this time, yet still perfectly noticeable. Gripping the peak of his cap, the driver let out a whistle of appreciation.

“I say, that’s one mighty fine spectacle!” he commented aloud, though no one was there to hear it besides him. In fact, the calm nothingness of the moor was the ideal complement to the dazzling celestial lights above. Tranquillity filled the atmosphere.

But not for long.

Just then, an unexpected shudder rocked the train, suspicious crashing noises coming from the carriages further back. The driver, caught off guard, was thrust back into the heart of the engine, landing with an uncomfortable thud. The noises continued to exert from the back of the train, thrashing and banging. Panicking, the driver leapt to his feet, not taking the time to pick up his cap which lay on the other side of the compartment having fallen from his head during the stumble. He dived for the brake lever. If he could stop the train, he could find out what on earth was going on. Slowly, with all his might, he pulled down on the heavy lever. Sparks began to fly from the wheels of the Queen Aleena as she let out a hideous screech, her momentum diminishing.

The effort was to be in vain, however. Just before he could bring the train to a halt, the driver felt an unwelcome presence with him in the compartment. At the precise moment it appeared, he could have sworn he saw a glint on the moon’s sapphire exterior out of the corner of his eye, lasting a mere split second or two. With a sense of duty, the driver took a deep breath and turned round to face his uninvited guest.

“Who goes there?!” he shouted.

A flash of fur was all he saw before being knocked unconscious. Out cold, he fell backwards, his hand inadvertently grasping the train’s whistle in the process. Steam exploded forth from the Queen Aleena’s funnel, accompanied by a thunderous bellowing that pierced the air.

An unknown hand returned the brake lever to its original position, and the train accumulated speed once more. The fog suddenly started to become thicker and denser, enough to shroud the engine and its carriages from plain sight. Coupled with the ever-erupting smoke from the train itself, within moments the Queen Aleena was lost to the hunger of the moor, swallowed up and concealed by a veil of impenetrable cloud.

Faintly, her cry could still be heard as she carried on her journey, at the mercy of her controller.

Clickety-clack she went.

Clickety-clack down the track.

And then, all of a sudden – silence.

The Queen Aleena cried no more.

That's all for now, folks!

• Thumbs Up 3