Awoo.

change something in a Sonic game's story

goodone121

That reminds me, someone drew a Sonic-proportioned Elise based on that same line of thought. That's one change that might benefit the series...if, instead of going straight to more or less realistic humans once we had more than just Eggman, they had gone more along the lines of that picture, with humans that match Sonic's style.

See, that's an Elise I could tolerate. More. Unleashed was a bit of a step that way in that the NPCs were more cartoony.

While it was not outright sexual contact, and thusly not bestiality by definition, it was still implied romantic contact between a human and an animal. And for most of us, that's a little unsettling. Pairings between animals of different species is already kind of a weird topic in the fandom, but seeing humans thrown into the mix might hit a little too close to home.

Thus, while not bestiality by definition, it is still kind of icky.

I wasn't really bothered by it. I mean, at least it wasn't a frog she kissed. *hint hint*

I know folks were disturbed by it, but there's a fine line between disturbing and exaggerating. And it's really stretching the scene calling it beastiality.

Even so, Sonic and the cast is more human than an animal. And as Diogenes described further:

It really doesn't seem much different than humans being with humanoid aliens or androids in sci-fi, or with elves and dwarves and such in fantasy, and so on.

In other forms of fiction, humans have been in far more disturbing situations than a simple kiss scene from you-know-what. Anime goes way out of this world once you look into the Hentai.

*grumble* I'm really getting tired of operating this machine...

After 10 years, I'd be, too. :lol:

Lack of story depth in Sonic Heroes. They just go from one zone to the other with no explanation at all. Funny thing is, that the script in Sonic Heroes was written by the same dude who wrote SA2's script. Man he must have gotten lazy or something.

Oh, and get rid of that Eggman Nega...... What kind of a stupid shit character is that. Did you hear his voice in Sonic Rivals 2? Holy crap.

Sonic Unleashed: Get rid of Chip. He is an embarassment. Corny, childish dialouge. And there a cutscene where he gets so scared or something and as he faints, you can see his ghost and....... it's just so unbelievably stupid.

Add Knuckles, Shadow, Chaotix, Omega, Rouge, President, and GUN into the story. Honestly, the whole world is blown to bits, you'd expect to see all these guys. Where's the military? And get rid of that light hearted tone the story has. It's too friendly for my tastes. I know sonic games are aimed at a younger audience, but this is too much. Also, Sonic could have used an edgy attitude as well. And get rid of useless cutscenes that are irrelevant to the story. coughicecreammancough.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Yeah, putting charm, wit, and silly characters in a game starring a blue cartoon hedgehog is stupid! Add more angst and edge, like in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic' 06! That'd be great! B)

Sonic Unleashed had the most charm and "homey" feeling the Sonic series has had since Sonic Adventure 1, I'd take "childishness" and "embarrassing characters" to the absolutely laughable angst that games such as Shadow and Sonic '06 had. Seriously, would you rather charming and funny characters over overdramatic and poorly written ones?

Yeah, putting charm, wit, and silly characters in a game starring a blue cartoon hedgehog is stupid! Add more angst and edge, like in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic' 06! That'd be great! B)
Anything that isn't as ridiculous as the characters in Unleashed. Seriously..... Professor Pickle... And so what if Sonic is a cartoonish hedgehog. Does that mean the human's have to look disproportional and cartoonish too? Does that mean the script has to be cartoony too?

Seriously, would you rather charming and funny characters over overdramatic and poorly written ones?
I actually like that overdramatic stuff. It's what makes the character development and stories interesting. I like these stories to have depth. Unleashed's story has virtually no depth. It doesn't pull me in or grasp me. And that's why I have a problem with it. And I don't have a problem with characters saying funny things, but the thing is, nothing the characters said in Unleashed was funny. Just uninteresting, mostly irrelevant dialouge.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

But both Shadow and Heroes were horribly written. It's not so much the tone for me as it is the delivery. They could be talking about pudding pops or doomsday weapons for all I care, as long as they don't sound like idiots. Unleashed was alright with the script, and Secret Rings wasn't bad either. SA2 stands out as the best spoken Sonic script for me. They also cut the lines pretty close to each other, so there wouldn't be strange pauses between one character and another, which makes for awful slow dialogue.

Edited by Badnikz
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anything that isn't as ridiculous as the characters in Unleashed. Seriously..... Professor Pickle... And so what if Sonic is a cartoonish hedgehog. Does that mean the human's have to look disproportional and cartoonish too? Does that mean the script has to be cartoony too?

I actually like that overdramatic stuff. It's what makes the character development and stories interesting. I like these stories to have depth. Unleashed's story has virtually no depth. It doesn't pull me in or grasp me. And that's why I have a problem with it. And I don't have a problem with characters saying funny things, but the thing is, nothing the characters said in Unleashed was funny. Just uninteresting, mostly irrelevant dialouge.

First of all, yes, it does. Sonic looking cartoony with humans looking realistic is just lazy and completely clashing art design. The characters in Unleashed, whether they were NPCs or main characters, were all developed nicely and had personality to them, unlike every NPC in any Sonic game ever, who were generic and boring. Realistic humans standing next to Sonic just looks stupid, the cartoony humans fit in Sonic's world much more.

Making things overdramatic doesn't make things interesting, it makes things laughable and stupid. When you have a character who's a super-sonic hedgehog who can run at the speed of sound, why would you be trying to create a gripping storyline? It's utterly innapropriate and makes your game, movie, comic, or whatever piece of art you're trying to make look awkward. No, Sonic's world shouldn't be devoid of plot and character development, but if you're going to make things serious at least make the writing decent. Every 3D Sonic game since Unleashed has been poorly written, except for maybe Sonic Adventure 2. Even that game I couldn't help but laugh during cutscenes due to how ridiculous situations got. I can't take a cartoon character seriously, it just doesn't work for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

First of all, yes, it does. Sonic looking cartoony with humans looking realistic is just lazy and completely clashing art design.
Well, I don't think they should look overly realistic, but I don't think it's good to make them overly cartoony. Because honestly, I find them ugly and disproportioned. Something along the lines of Merlina in the 2D cutscenes in Sonic and the Black Knight, is a good example of how humans should be displayed. It doesn't clash with the art style at all.

Making things overdramatic doesn't make things interesting.
There needs to be tension to pull the audience in.

When you have a character who's a super-sonic hedgehog who can run at the speed of sound, why would you be trying to create a gripping storyline?
To not bore the audience. At least that's what I assume Sonic Team has been doing. And it works. These characters are popular not only for their designs, but for the roles they play in these stories. How they act and how well they're fleshed out. What they did to overcome the obstacles in the plots is always remembered by fans and actually makes discussion interesting.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

They also cut the lines pretty close to each other, so there wouldn't be strange pauses between one character and another, which makes for awful slow dialogue.

That became sort of a problem sometimes. "You're not good enough to be my- I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS!"

Sonic Unleashed: Get rid of Chip. He is an embarassment. Corny, childish dialouge. And there a cutscene where he gets so scared or something and as he faints, you can see his ghost and....... it's just so unbelievably stupid.

Have you ever watched Looney Toons?

Add Knuckles, Shadow, Chaotix, Omega, Rouge, President, and GUN into the story. Honestly, the whole world is blown to bits, you'd expect to see all these guys. Where's the military?

I would argue if you didn't have a point about the world being blown up.

And get rid of that light hearted tone the story has. It's too friendly for my tastes. I know sonic games are aimed at a younger audience, but this is too much. Also, Sonic could have used an edgy attitude as well.

Whoa, time the hell out. Sonic can have an edgy attitude, but too much makes him act like the next Altair (Assassin's Creed).

There's nothing wrong with a friendly plot, and it was actually full of humor and even got edgy when Sonic arrived at Eggmanland. Sonic Unleashed's tone actually did some good.

And get rid of useless cutscenes that are irrelevant to the story. coughicecreammancough.

That wasn't...not every scene has to be about what the villian is planing and how the Character plans to stop him. We can have something deviate from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

That wasn't...not every scene has to be about what the villian is planing and how the Character plans to stop him. We can have something deviate from it.

Agreed. I liked Unleashed because not only did it have a mix of childish and epicness, but it had some elements, such as this short deviation from the main plot that made it feel... cinematic.

I liked that part, it made me laugh.

---

If I had to change something it would be get rid of those giant monster bosses and also Eggman from repeating his lines during every boss battle.

Anything that isn't as ridiculous as the characters in Unleashed. Seriously..... Professor Pickle...

Give me an explanation as to why Prof. Pickle is a ridiculous and poorly written character.

And so what if Sonic is a cartoonish hedgehog. Does that mean the human's have to look disproportional and cartoonish too? Does that mean the script has to be cartoony too?

No, but doesn't mean it's better off that way. It's painfully unfitting and it's as if a bunch of cartoons were brought into the real world. Not a lot of charm in that, if you ask me.

One thing I would not exactly change, but keep, is the cartoony look of the humans in Unleashed. It actually felt like they belonged there, rather than some guys in costumes talking to real life humans.

Also, I want to see Knuckles doing his job. A lack of appearance doesn't count, we haven't seen him defending the Master Emerald in any cinematic form since SA2.

• Thumbs Up 1

That scene is basically a pun: "I'd rather die" and then he dies.

thats_the_joke.jpg

It's fine if you liked it, but I'd expect something to be much more creative before I'm going to compare it to Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies.

Also, there was a distinct lack of comedic timing outside of VE's work.

Oh, and get rid of that Eggman Nega...... What kind of a stupid shit character is that. Did you hear his voice in Sonic Rivals 2? Holy crap.

WATCH IT. You are really pushing the envelope, and lording your opinion as truth. There are people like me who love the "Robotnik Recolour" and will disagree with you even if we were sent to the fiery pits of Hell for our choice.

I don't like Shadow, but you don't see me calling him a "stupid shit character."

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: ^ Holy shit that was a fierce responce.

Anyone who dislikes Chip has no sence of humor. NONE.

Also, I would love it if they showed what happenes to Eggman in '06 after the Egg Wyvern. The thing explodes, his ship breaks apart, and then the seat and Eggman sit there for a second and then fall. Did he die? Did he escape? Did he ALMOST die? WHAT HAPPENED?

Edited by Nathan Speed
  • Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: ^ Holy shit that was a fierce responce.

I know it seemed a little snappy, but that's the type of things that got people up in arms on the board last time. Also if memory fails me, I think it warranted a warning of some sorts last time.

• Thumbs Up 1

That scene is basically a pun: "I'd rather die" and then he dies.

thats_the_joke.jpg

It's fine if you liked it, but I'd expect something to be much more creative before I'm going to compare it to Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies.

Also, there was a distinct lack of comedic timing outside of VE's work.

Uh, Phos. Who were you talking to, me or Lounge? Your wording makes me unsure.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

While it was not outright sexual contact, and thusly not bestiality by definition, it was still implied romantic contact between a human and an animal. And for most of us, that's a little unsettling. Pairings between animals of different species is already kind of a weird topic in the fandom, but seeing humans thrown into the mix might hit a little too close to home.

Thus, while not bestiality by definition, it is still kind of icky.

Ironically, Sonic was originally supposed to have a human girlfriend named Madonna. Glad they scrapped that idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the level of seriousness should be the same as in Sa(maybe, Sa2). Sh was too childish, Shth was too dark, S06 was almost normal, but maybe a bit serious too..And SU was tooooooooooo childish and corny. And i think the best style of humans is also Sa's style. They're a bit cartoony and at the same time a bit realistic.

And yeah, SU's "humor" sucks. It is not laughable..AT ALL. Yes, Sonic is aimed at the younger audience, but i'm not from a kindergarten..I hope the next sonic game will be at least as serious as Sa was.

P.S.Dark Gaia sucks.

Edited by ArtFenix

I dislike Chip, he's funny, but it's forced humour. Maybe it could be more subtle, maybe it was the character design that put me off the funny, I don't know, but something was definitely missing.

I thought a lot of the genius in Chip's character was in the slapstick rather than the dialogue. Not to say the dialogue wasn't funny at times. I just loved how he was doing wacky things like pretending to swim in the background, trying to get a cup of tea, getting flicked away by Sonic, or just how he became a ghost to exaggerate his point. Classic cartoon comedy.

Anyone who dislikes Chip has no sence of humor. NONE.

I loved Chip too, but you shouldn't be so sharp about it. People have different kinds of humor.

Edited by SuperStingray

And SU was tooooooooooo childish and corny. And i think the best style of humans is also Sa's style. They're a bit cartoony and at the same time a bit realistic.

And yeah, SU's "humor" sucks. It is not laughable..AT ALL. Yes, Sonic is aimed at the younger audience, but i'm not from a kindergarten..I hope the next sonic game will be at least as serious as Sa was.

Agreed, especially on the forced humor. When my friends and I were watching the cutscenes, our reactions were like "....what the hell is this??" And just because I don't like Chip, or think he's funny doesn't mean I'm a mean old troll. I just find him to flat out suck.

P.S.Dark Gaia sucks.
LOL, True.

Give me an explanation as to why Prof. Pickle is a ridiculous and poorly written character.
His character design is already nauseating enough. His nose looks ridiculous. I already don't like that cartoonish human Unleashed style, so that's pretty much the main reason I think he sucks. There's also his name. Professor Pickle. That sounds like something they got out of the Powerpuff Girls. Then there's the way he acts. He's weak minded, slow, boring. He's trapped in a cell, and when they find him, all he can think about is sandwitches.... Again with that godawful forced humour. It's a turnoff when a cool guy like sonic interacts with a ridiculous character like Prof. Pickle.

And just my personal opinion, but those cartoonish humans actually makes Sonic seem less cool than he should be.

Sonic is not Looney Toons.

I would argue if you didn't have a point about the world being blown up.
Well, It's not like they have to be playable. Just there for support, story development, and fan service.

Whoa, time the hell out. Sonic can have an edgy attitude, but too much makes him act like the next Altair (Assassin's Creed).
What are you talking about? His attitude in Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic Adventure 2 was all the edgy I needed. I didn't say he had to go over the edge. I just said he was too soft in Unleashed.

There's nothing wrong with a friendly plot, and it was actually full of humor
each to their own. Edited by lounge
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1