Awoo.

What forgotten Sonic characters should be brought back

BlueBlur360

I'd love to see Mighty again, the only problem is that these days he'd just come off as a blatant Sonic clone. What set him apart from Sonic in Knuckles Chaotix was the wall jump, but now Sonic has that, too. So Mighty would need some sort of signature move, like what flying and wall-climbing are to Tails and Knuckles.

And I can't think of squat. Anyone else have ideas?

The basic consensus so far is that he absolutely has to have a defensive move involving his shell, no question about it. If you were to look at it from the standpoint of, oh say, a Genesis-style moveset, you could make him absorb all attacks that hit him from behind, make him invulnerable whilst crouching - hell, maybe even give him additional immunity to spikes while he's rolling, at the tradeoff of some momentum. In any other game, though, it'd be as simple as giving him a block button.

The other thing is that Mighty, in spite of his gameplay in Chaotix and Arcade, is generally perceived as a strong character for various reasons (ranging from naming conventions to alternate canons that gave him more representation than the games ever did), and catering to that side of his character would do a hell of a lot of good seperating him from his clonedom status. Personally I can't see him simply punching or smashing shit up like oh say, Knux, but if I had to give him a more unique ability I'd say give him the ability to pick up and throw objects and enemies at each other - slightly like he and nearly everyone else could in Chaotix, apon thinking about it in hindsight, and crossed over a bit with Silver's mechanics minus the telekinetic stuff. It'd at least show off the strength component without turning him into a generic brawler or something, and if ever Sonic Team wanted to expand on it, hell, you could turn him into a grappler instead. Lord knows more Zangief-alikes are never a bad thing.

I know some people say Nack(Fang) is the same as Rouge, but they are not the same because Rouge only had a car(kart) on Sonic Adventure 2, right? But Nack on the other hand owns the Marvelous Queen that was shown on Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Drift 2. And the Marvelous Queen can have attachments on it(play Sonic Triple Trouble to see what I mean), the same way Eggman have attachments and etc. on his Eggmobile. Also, two more differences between Nack and Rouge, One: Rouge can fly and Nack really cannot fly, and Two: Nack have guns(his pop shooters on Sonic T.T. and other kind of guns in the comics) and Rouge never been seen holding a gun in the games(can't remember if she did or didn't in the comics through).

Anyway, thats all I can say about Nack for right now, well for one thing I have say it be awsome to see Nack in his Mavrelous Queen while holding a sniper rifle and have a rocket launcher attached to the M.Q., now that be a cool boss battle against Nack(Nack).

Hey, heres a cool idea that Sega could make a game called, "Mighty and Ray" that you can play as Mighty or Ray and that Nack can be the main villain on it. What you guys think of this idea?

Edited by Clyde the Hedgehog

• 10 years later...

Do alternate/metal sonics count? If so, then I'd really like to see Mecha return. As far as we know, Mecha is the only metal sonic duplicate that successfully went super, as well as being able to absorb the master emerald's energy (and assuming the chaos emeralds by extension). Sonic Team seems to have a fear of bringing Super Sonic back for some odd reason, but Mecha could be a nice way to re-introduce the idea of multiple characters besides Sonic having the ability to go super.

All that, and I just think the much rougher and spikier design of Mecha looks a lot cooler compared to Metal's more slick design.

Its interesting how this thread came out in 2010, when the "shitty friends" wound was still relatively fresh. Fast forward 10 years and all the characters people were sick of seeing they now want back, and we have a whole new assortment of characters we want to never see again.

• Thumbs Up 4

53 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

Its interesting how this thread came out in 2010, when the "shitty friends" wound was still relatively fresh. Fast forward 10 years and all the characters people were sick of seeing they now want back, and we have a whole new assortment of characters we want to never see again.

To be fair, the characters I didn't like in 2010 are characters I still don't like now.

I'm less vocal about it because I care less today and because, well, they honestly did stop getting major appearances so I barely see them anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, BadBehavior said:

This gets me curious... in 10 years, will people want characters like Zavok  and Yacker back? Or will they still be hated? Or will they just end up forgotten?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Snowragnarok said:

This gets me curious... in 10 years, will people want characters like Zavok  and Yacker back? Or will they still be hated? Or will they just end up forgotten?

Yacker and Infinite maybe, Zavok & co I doubt... they really are just generic villains and I can't think of anything of them which can bring nostalgia feels to the future generations.

It's like Wendy Witchcart, just a generic witch that was ok as generic boss in a spin off but had nothing else to tell aside of that... not many people want her back.

The only thing in Zavok and the Zeti's favor is that they've been shoehorned in many games and have been playable in a few of them, so they are definitely in a better position, but I doubt they will leave enough good memories in people that in about 10 years from now people will ask for having them back.

They are unfitting in the franchise, we got used to them only because Sega pushed them so hard, but they will still look out of place in Sonic even in retrospect, nothing will change.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Iko said:

It's like Wendy Witchcart, just a generic witch that was ok as generic boss in a spin off but had nothing else to tell aside of that... not many people want her back.

I want her back - in part because she's so weird. A magic-using human in the Sonic series feels so incredibly mismatched with the rest of the series*, and that alone gives her some potential to be a shake-up to the formula if she were to appear in a more story-driven role.

She's a character that was created in the franchise's early days and ultimately didn't end up fitting the general vision for the series, but precisely because of that, I think she has a unique hook that at least has potential.

*Though not totally mismatched. Elise in 06 has that "energy field" power where she can prevent Sonic from sinking into water and quicksand. That's a more modern example of a "human with superpowers" in Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

7 hours ago, Iko said:

Yacker and Infinite maybe, Zavok & co I doubt... they really are just generic villains and I can't think of anything of them which can bring nostalgia feels to the future generations.

The only thing in Zavok and the Zeti's favor is that they've been shoehorned in many games and have been playable in a few of them, so they are definitely in a better position, but I doubt they will leave enough good memories in people that in about 10 years from now people will ask for having them back.

They are unfitting in the franchise, we got used to them only because Sega pushed them so hard, but they will still look out of place in Sonic even in retrospect, nothing will change.

To be fair, Witchcart was elucidated on in the comics near the end, whereas the Deadly Six have been less so. I wonder why Flynn never picked up on Lumina and Void, for that matter? 

Interesting characters always beat out “generic villains”; people want to see Iris back, while nobody really cares about the X-Hunters, Nightmare Police, Mac, Illumina, Hi-Max, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Marine the Raccoon. Yes I’m aware she has a reputation for being annoying, but if you tone down her troublemaking a little, you’d have a really adorable kid character. 

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Marine the Raccoon. Yes I’m aware she has a reputation for being annoying, but if you tone down her troublemaking a little, you’d have a really adorable kid character. 

She and Charmy would be an interesting combination, being somewhat similar.

Now I'm imagining a scenario where the two of them get into trouble and its up to the two responsible kid characters, Tail and Cream, to try to get them out of it. It's a sitcom scenario that writes itself!

I would actually like to see the younger Sonic characters go on an adventure or save the day.

Would be interesting to see them bounce off each other outside their usual groups.

21 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I would actually like to see the younger Sonic characters go on an adventure or save the day.

Would be interesting to see them bounce off each other outside their usual groups.

Interesting... would Amy count as one of the younger set? Or Sticks? This would also be a good opportunity to have new villains featured.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Snowragnarok said:

I probably shouldn't bother, but is Yacker really significant enough to be hated?

I know it became cool to dislike Colors, but Yacker is basically a no talking version of Chip that features less his own game, not to mention I don't recall him reappearing.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:57 AM, Iko said:

The only thing I can immediately think of is if Rangers does issue in another Dark Age tier of villainy that also gets out of hand.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:57 AM, Iko said:

To be fair, there are people who genuinely see Erazor Djinn as a high point.

Really, the Zeti have another issue in that they don't really do anything despite being made to appear so prominent. 

On 7/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, Snowragnarok said:

To be fair, Witchcart was elucidated on in the comics near the end, whereas the Deadly Six have been less so. I wonder why Flynn never picked up on Lumina and Void, for that matter? 

Probably because they're most likely considered dead, not to mention out of the way.

On 7/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, Snowragnarok said:

Interesting characters always beat out “generic villains”; people want to see Iris back, while nobody really cares about the X-Hunters, Nightmare Police, Mac, Illumina, Hi-Max, etc. 

Pardon me for falling into the joke, but who is Mac?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Pardon me for falling into the joke, but who is Mac?

Mac is a boss character in Megaman X3 who betrays the hunters and is slain by Zero. He noticeably has one eye. He’s another one of those generic side villains in the series, and seems to be forgotten even by their standards.

3 hours ago, Snowragnarok said:

Mac is a boss character in Megaman X3 who betrays the hunters and is slain by Zero. He noticeably has one eye. He’s another one of those generic side villains in the series, and seems to be forgotten even by their standards.

Oh yeah, Green Biker Dude except not cool.

Also, he's kinda dead anyway, so....

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, Green Biker Dude except not cool.

Also, he's kinda dead anyway, so....

And also actually has a name, and is (presumably) evil, even if TV Tropes seems to disagree. 

Anyways, on-topic, I think the return of Storm the Albatross is in order to keep the Babylon Rogues complete. He hasn’t been seen since like 2010 outside of print.

Are we only talking about games or Sonic media in general? If it is just the games, I personally would like to see Chip again. But more in the form of a cameo. Maybe a photo with him and Sonic would be enough. As for other media, I personally want to see Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts back. I started to watch AOSTH again, and yes, it didn't age well, it is still a guilty pleasure of my. 

23 hours ago, Snowragnarok said:

And also actually has a name, and is (presumably) evil, even if TV Tropes seems to disagree. 

Anyways, on-topic, I think the return of Storm the Albatross is in order to keep the Babylon Rogues complete. He hasn’t been seen since like 2010 outside of print.

He is in Sonic Speed Battle, aka the game with the most characters.

Professor Pickle.

A character like him could've been really useful in something like Lost World, where he gives info dumps on just what the heck the "Lost Hex" was and what Zeti are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where is scorage. like, sega, seriously. he is one of my FAVROTE sonic characters, and i kinda like him more than shadow. at least put him in idw.

Maria, but only if she counts as a forgotten character. I think she should actually stay as a character of Shadow's past. If they erase her tragic backstory, Shadow just comes off as an insensitive jerk. And since they are rumors surrounding Sonic having a human-like ghost girl as his new companion, I personally want to see all of Sonic's human or human like companions back: Elise, Merlina, Shahra, Maria, etc.    

• 2 weeks later...

Metal Knuckles I think would be cool to see again or even Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 & Knuckles I would love to see again