Awoo.

What forgotten Sonic characters should be brought back

BlueBlur360

Whoa, I sleep for most of the day and we get a psuedo-classicist argument in the thread. I hate missing that stuff.

Mainly because it just seems totally and absolutely pointless?

As is wondering why the names were changed, if not more so. Last I checked they wasn't much of a change to begin with.

Can this be the last thread that derails into arguing over Shadow in a lighthearted setting? Please?

Very slim chance of that happening unless Sonic Team decide to make another dark plot in the series, and then the argument will switch to something else to keep Shadow out of the game. :lol:

Of course, as long as I have something to say against such logic, there's always going to be some argument over it.

If each game had it's own new character for Sonic to have a Adventure with, then things would stay fresh.

But that's no guarantee of good quality. And this series has a large enough cast already, so I'd rather they expand upon all of the current cast for a while before making a newer character.

I think many are skeptical of shadow returning is becuase how bad Sega handled his story and attitude. I liked shadow in adventure 2 but I was like o_o in the other games. The character development and the ending in SA2 almost made me shed a tear so i'm devastated on how shadow turned out. I hate him more than any character now. I think Sega should have not made him return so fast. He could have been very mysterious and show up here and there causing sonic and the gang still wondering if he is still alive. He would still make all the cameos he made but story wise they are still wondering if he is alive or not of course they figure out eventually but Sega should make it suspenseful. This thread should have been about if shadow would return and how they should have done it. This is just in my opinion however. I also am getting tired of the shadow in a lighthearted plot situation its becuase how Sega handled shadows personality. If they reworked shadow to his former self shadow could have a very flexible personality that could be used in a range of games.

The last plot relevant game he was in was 06, what was wrong with him in there seriously, he didn't wangst about Maria, he didn't go on about his past.

It's good to be reminded how much of a controversial base-breaker Shadow has become. :lol:

If it's not Shadow it's Knuckles. Poor, poor Knuckles. I still love you. Tails gets a free pass, but Knuckles? Oh dear.

Poor guy just gets trampled on by people because of his 'obligation to protect the Master Emerald' and apparent 'shoehorning'. As if shoehorning the Master Emerald into the plot just so he'll have a 'reason' to appear isn't just as bad if not worse. I still don't get this logic, but it's littered all over these forums.

HE even has a distinct ability, BOMBS MOFO.

Fuck yes!

My link

Whoever puts this image in front of a massive explosion with the word, "EXPLOSIOONNNNNNZZZ!!!!!" gets 20 rings and an invincible power up. And please find a smaller picture.

Edited by turbojet

If it's not Shadow it's Knuckles. Poor, poor Knuckles. I still love you. Tails gets a free pass, but Knuckles? Oh dear.

There's kind of a big difference. Knuckles isn't particularly hated upon to the same extent as Shadow is, where as Shadow is always the love him hate him character. Knuckles would have to do a lot to reach that point.

Although they do have some good similarities, I'll admit. :lol:

Poor guy just gets trampled on by people because of his 'obligation to protect the Master Emerald' and apparent 'shoehorning'. As if shoehorning the Master Emerald into the plot just so he'll have a 'reason' to appear isn't just as bad if not worse. I still don't get this logic, but it's littered all over these forums.

This is actually more of a retailation in defense of Shadow if you really look at it closely.

In the past, there were people were all over trying to find out ways for why Shadow shouldn't appear in whatever game was comming out at the time. Those people fell behind the excuse that "His story is done, he isn't needed anymore" with other similar arguments such as the ones that focused on him being a dark character, a pointless character, or how he isn't a classic one.

Now over time, there were others who took those arguments and looked at how they fared with other characters and found that there were a few other well liked characters who were on a similar boat as Shadow. It's no doubt that Knuckles ended up at the top of the list due to people disregarding the same arguments they place on Shadow in comparison to Knuckles whom they like a lot more, and so the argument was brought up to equalize the characters, which had more impact due to the fact that said character was a Classic character, and one put on such a high pedestal.

In short, the argument follows this way: If you're going to be restrictive on how Shadow should appear, it's only fair for others to be restrictive on how Knuckles should appear. And the same would hold true if you're going to be unrestrictive on the characters. It's only fair, right? ;)

I like to think I was the one who came up with that idea on this forum in particular, but there may be many out there who would challenge that.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Whoever puts this image in front of a massive explosion with the word, "EXPLOSIOONNNNNNZZZ!!!!!" gets 20 rings and an invincible power up.

Gimme my loot.

157mzjo.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Knuckles would be an interesting character if they made a game based off him rather than Shadow. Mostly because they portray him in the games as an easily fooled retard who protects a magical gem instead of interpreting his life in the comics, which is a lot more complicated. They have a lot to work with, and frankly, with all the things that Knuckles does, including getting mixed up with Sonic's adventures, he has a lot more on his hands than anybody else, even Robotnik and the Freedom Fighters.

It would also be interesting developing stories of the old, forgotten characters that actually connect with the stories of the main ones, like touching upon the encounter Nack and Sonic had in Sonic The Hedgehog No. 40, and not just throwing them in there because "Herp derp he was looking for treasure". Adding to this, they should actually bring the personality he had in the comics and Sonic The Fighters into a new game. He's known for his joker-like tricky attitude, and they rarely ever give personality to the characters anymore. Which is dumb, considering the only personality they seem to have is based around the plot of the game, not giving time to show them in their regular, everyday situations/habitats. Sonic Adventure did this nicely, showing Knuckles protecting the Master Emerald, Big relaxing, Amy shopping, and Tails trying out his new invention. The only exceptions to this were Sonic, who was facing a crime scene, and E-102 Omega, who was just being activated.

Bark the Polar bear!!!

He's a bear with a hat! Really though, I just love the fact that he's a bear. Bears are awesome, there needs to be more of them. And since he doesn't really have any story about him, who knows what he could be used for...

I don't have anymore reasoning for him coming back other than he's a bear. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles would be an interesting character if they made a game based off him rather than Shadow. Mostly because they portray him in the games as an easily fooled retard who protects a magical gem instead of interpreting his life in the comics, which is a lot more complicated. They have a lot to work with, and frankly, with all the things that Knuckles does, including getting mixed up with Sonic's adventures, he has a lot more on his hands than anybody else, even Robotnik and the Freedom Fighters.

It would also be interesting developing stories of the old, forgotten characters that actually connect with the stories of the main ones, like touching upon the encounter Nack and Sonic had in Sonic The Hedgehog No. 40, and not just throwing them in there because "Herp derp he was looking for treasure". Adding to this, they should actually bring the personality he had in the comics and Sonic The Fighters into a new game. He's known for his joker-like tricky attitude, and they rarely ever give personality to the characters anymore. Which is dumb, considering the only personality they seem to have is based around the plot of the game, not giving time to show them in their regular, everyday situations/habitats. Sonic Adventure did this nicely, showing Knuckles protecting the Master Emerald, Big relaxing, Amy shopping, and Tails trying out his new invention. The only exceptions to this were Sonic, who was facing a crime scene, and E-102 Omega, who was just being activated.

Ok now this would be good, if it was the comics. I know Archie have better storytelling, but the games have their own charm, and have develop their own charm.

You gotta admit, having Wolverine claws is pretty badass.

I am not moved. Metal Knuckles can be left forgotten. My Knuckles hatred makes me not want to see him again.

Knuckles hatred! Is there such a thing?

But I agree on Metal Knuckles. A robot of the main character has more story potential, where copies of the others wouldn't have the room to shine. They would also feel like cheap imitations of any good Metal Sonic scenario.

Knuckles hatred! Is there such a thing?

But I agree on Metal Knuckles. A robot of the main character has more story potential, where copies of the others wouldn't have the room to shine. They would also feel like cheap imitations of any good Metal Sonic scenario.

I know! Who could hate Knuckles? He's so lovable!

I think if Knuckles ever gets his own game, that would be the perfect opprotunity to bring Metal Knuckles back. Otherwise, yeah, it'd probably not be a good idea/

Although it sounds generic, a game where the heroes fight their metal counterparts would be quite fun.

All you need is just a Metal Knuckles and Metal Shadow and watch them own just about everything. :P

Bah, nobody here's thinking big enough. What we really need is a Metal Espio: it could be a Terminator and a Predator at the same time!

As for "forgotten" characters coming back... I'm not particularly eager to see any of them back, but if I had to choose one to return it'd probably be either Fang or Bark. Fang strikes a nice balance of being cool while not being too serious, and that's perfect for the Sonic series. He's also got a fun design (more Sonic characters need hats) and his gun gives him an interesting gimmick that might be fun to play with. With Bark, we've seen polar bears of a similar size and shape in a Sonic Team game before (Rush Adventure's viking bears), and it's always nice to have a furry character who doesn't share Sonic's dimensions. He'd also probably get a wicked stereotypical Canadian accent and mannerisms, and there's nothing better than that. ...eh?

At my personal heck called the Sega Forums, we like to call mindless haters "Fan brats" and suck ups "Fan boys", believe it or not some people their are actually intelligent.

Then it seems we had a misunderstanding based on our definitions of the term "fanboy," so I apologize. It wasn't meant to be all that derogatory, just hint at a certain amount of closed-mindedness I was getting from you.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm pretty sure I stated the characters I liked and listed near ten characters(Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Blaze, Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot).

I may be confusing posts then, but I was sure from your attitude that you were alluding to Sonic being the only legitimate character. While I am still disappointed with the shortness of your list (and the fact that you have Orbot and Cubot yet not Espio or Shadow??? Especially Espio??? What's not to like about him?!?), I am at least please to find that I was incorrect about your beliefs. I must apologize once again for my misunderstanding.

If we were to compare Sonic to Mario and his colorful cast of characters, usually characters don't return, and when they do, their rolls are minor, and it's nice to see them again, like the Pink Bomb ombs in Mario 64 being in Galaxy 2. Ofcourse, as lighthearted as Sonic games may be now, they still have story and the characters have more personality, meaning you are more likely to like or hate a character more. If each game had it's own new character for Sonic to have a Adventure with, then things would stay fresh.

At the risk of getting off topic, Mario is teaching the lesson Sonic needs to learn: put out a bunch of filler games like Sonic Racing and Tennis etc to satiate the fanbase, all the while working on a new masterpiece that is actually a huge hit instead of a bug-ridden game that only 25% of the main fanbase actually enjoys (though I admit, I'm almost always a part of that 25%).

As far as introducing new characters...maybe if they made spin-offs with the old characters I'd be ok with that. But I hate seeing old characters forgotten. Oh, and the new characters would have to be good characters like Marine, not confusing and annoying ones like Silver.

And at the risk of getting off topic AGAIN...when I say spin-offs, I don't just mean Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing. To me, while it is part of the main storyline, Shadow the Hedgehog was a spin-off. If you take a side character and use that character to try out new gameplay elements, it's a spin-off in my book. I think that's part of why I'm so ok the that game. I didn't expect it to be anything like the other Sonic games. It was something entirely new using characters I already had an attachment to. I would love some sort of stealth game starring Espio, or perhaps a fighting game akin to the Werehog stages of Unleashed (but faster-paced) starring Knuckles. Hell, maybe even Knuckles AND Rouge...but delve into the backstory of Knuckles. We now know of Shade and her tribe, and we know a bit about Tikal and her tribe...I would love some more details on the various Echidna clans and the story behind Angel Island. I would love to see more treasure-hunting too, but I'm too tired to lift my flame shield so I won't go into that too much. Point being, they should use the characters in the Sonic universe that are NOT Sonic to create new experiences. As long as the fanbase gets their fill of Blue Hedgehog from the main titles, they should allow that without TOO much complaining...well, if this were a normal fanbase anyway.

I know! Who could hate Knuckles? He's so lovable!

I think if Knuckles ever gets his own game, that would be the perfect opprotunity to bring Metal Knuckles back. Otherwise, yeah, it'd probably not be a good idea/

Also, I've always wondered why he broke his own Master Emerald into pieces. Why would anyone do that?
Why? Well...

As far as being a gullible hotheaded doof, most people, even (maybe especially) his fans are going to agree. But most see that as something that's happened as time passed, and something that needs to be fixed, not a reason to outright hate him.

• Thumbs Up 2