Awoo.

What forgotten Sonic characters should be brought back

BlueBlur360

It's directly referenced in the Knux Chaotix manual.

Only in the American manual. Which simply doesn't count as canonical to the modern day interpretation of the series (honestly, these were the manuals that claimed the games took place on Mobius and that Amy was actually named Princess Sally...)

People, this is the SONIC Series we're talking about. If he wasn't supposed to have super strength, he wouldn't have been named Mighty.

Only in the American manual. Which simply doesn't count as canonical to the modern day interpretation of the series

Why the fuck does that matter if Mighty isn't even in the modern series yet? Hell, I'm just stunned that people are even trying to debate the strength of a character who is literally Mighty by fucking name. Have you people completely forgotten the bare basics of Sonic naming convention already? Guy who runs at supersonic speeds? Call him Sonic. Guy with an ass propeller a tailcopter? Call him Tails. Guy who prefers to use his fists? Call him Knuckles. Sure, there are a handful of chars that don't follow the naming rule to the letter (hi there Amy and Silver), but when someone in the franchise is specifically named Mighty, it's not because he enjoys tea and crumpets.

There's the comics to support it too. And before someone brings up the "nono but the comics aren't canon so that point doesn't count" point, I'm pretty sure the writers wouldn't do such a thing if they felt it was out of place, or indeed, if there was any evidence at all to suggest that he wasn't relatively strong. That's like saying it's not a reasonable indicator of how fast Sonic is.

EDIT: goddamned ninjas

Edited by Blacklightning
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sure, there are a handful of chars that don't follow the naming rule to the letter (hi there Amy and Silver), but when someone in the franchise is specifically named Mighty, it's not because he enjoys tea and crumpets.

Actually, both of those are color related. Amy's surname is Rose, which is a shade of pink. Silver is...well...I won't insult your intelligence by explaining that one =P

There's the comics to support it too. And before someone brings up the "nono but the comics aren't canon so that point doesn't count" point, I'm pretty sure the writers wouldn't do such a thing if they felt it was out of place, or indeed, if there was any evidence at all to suggest that he wasn't relatively strong. That's like saying it's not a reasonable indicator of how fast Sonic is.

There's also the fact that as of late, Sega's had Archie held by the balls in terms of writing. Granted, they've allowed a few liberties to be taken here and there, but if they weren't cool with Mighty being pretty much the strongest thing EVER in that canon, then he wouldn't be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mgihty,Fang,Bean.They seriosly need to become a major charactor now!They deserve the atttention! :angry:

Care to explain why?

Those forgotten Sonic characters are soo past cool.. Thats why they disappeared.. And that Mighty for example, only haved one game; Knuckles chaotix... Doring and past cool.

Sega want that Sonic series stays cool.. Nobody likes past cool hedgehogs.. Not even armadillos..laugh.gif

And who DARN is that Fang the sniper?huh.gif Someking of tresure hunter? Lol when Rouge came noboby need anone like him (Fang)

Just look;

Fang_the_Sniper_by_ShockRabbit.png

vs.

rouge.gif

tongue.gif NOBOBY NEEDS FANG AFTER THOSE VIEWS!

AUTS STOP ROUGE! I.. I.. ERRH...unsure.gif

Those forgotten Sonic characters are soo past cool.. Thats why they disappeared.. And that Mighty for example, only haved one game; Knuckles chaotix... Doring and past cool.

Sega want that Sonic series stays cool.. Nobody likes past cool hedgehogs.. Not even armadillos..laugh.gif

And who DARN is that Fang the sniper?huh.gif Someking of tresure hunter? Lol when Rouge came noboby need anone like him (Fang)

Just look;

Fang_the_Sniper_by_ShockRabbit.png

vs.

rouge.gif

tongue.gif NOBOBY NEEDS FANG AFTER THOSE VIEWS!

AUTS STOP ROUGE! I.. I.. ERRH...unsure.gif

Er.......what? :huh:

So from that I gather you mean we don't need Nack because we have Rouge and you think she's hot??

Rouge isn't Nack and Nack isn't Rouge. When she came along she did NOT usurp Nack's role. Hell she's practically a good guy now. She only displays mild selfish traits and is a treasure hunter/thief....but honestly how often have we seen her even do that? She's be show in game being a spy and pretty much working with the good guys way more often.

Nack is a wild card. He is ultimately and 100% in everything for himself. A guy for hire who will do just about anything for the right price. That kind of flexiblity allows him to 1. Be a villain in his own right. 2. Work as a sub-boss for villains 3. Be a pest, turning up to cause trouble set traps interfere with both hereos and villains plans (like in Sonic Triple Trouble) or 4. work for the heroes if they ever needed to begrudgingly hire him, for the right price of course.

Rouge's set of skills don't even come close to his, so I don't see why people are always comparing the two. Rouge uses her "charm" or seduction and is known for her female looks, pretty much the series "bad girl" or token "sexy" one if you have to get into those terms. Sure she is a bit selfish, but she uses her skills for spying and maybe some theivery on the side. Nack is a mercenary, a bounty hunter, a criminal and a sniper. He's got kidnapping, trapping, robbery, vanadlism, tracking, "whacking" people, sharp-shooting, blackmailing, and double crossing all under his belt.

He's such a versatile and unique character and in NO WAY just a pre-Rouge knock off. SEGA really need to realise this and get off their arses and bring him back!

• Thumbs Up 3

super-smash-bros-brawl-20061127022914090.jpg

This is Fox Mcloud. Before Smash Bros he had never set foot outside of an Arwing, and all we really knew is that he had a gun. Never stopped Sakurai. Now he's practically the most frequently used character in any Smash metagame.

Actually you could play as him outside of his Arwing in Starfox 64's multiplayer. :unsure:

Actually you could play as him outside of his Arwing in Starfox 64's multiplayer. :unsure:

Edited by LunarEdge

Doesn't leave much to the imagination, not to mention that you see them outside the arwing at the ending when they're running

For some reason, this makes me think that StarFox Assault would've been much better with its on foot missions had they been like this.

At any rate, I guess developing ideas out of a vacuum isn't too bad at all. But it would still take some serious execution to pull him off, however cautious I may be on the idea. I'd still keep a wary eye on hypocrites who may end up complaining about what they get even if it is in good quality, as they seem to pop up on radar much more common than we think.

Tails Doll has, in my mind, the most potential, but then my mind is a twisted place indeed. Playing up his creepy nature and playing on the whole fan-made 'Tails Doll Will Eat Your Soul' routine and turning into something akin to an Eldrich Abomination via that gem of his would make him a fantastic antagonist and boss battle.

Do you know why I like Mighty and Fang? Because I read the Fleetway and Archie comics and they were (are) both characterised well in both. Fang's a good design and would be a nice (and easy) addition to Sonic's very lacking Rogues Gallery in the games. Playing him off Rogue would lead to some good scenes and his offers the chance for a more precicion based gunplay closer to Gamma than the blow everythign up style Omega used (i've always felt that Gamma's place in Adventure should have gone to Fang, just like Big's should have gone to Bark). Mighty is interesting - being able to block is (someone said it about a page back) actually very rare in the series,using his strength (yes let's start that debate off again) he could give us a kind of interaction with the level, it would be pretty cool to be able to use the Palm Trees in a Green-Hill-Esque zone or throw Badniks at one another, also, as a point, i'm pretty sure Mighty is faster than Knuckles, isn't he?

I like Metal Knuckles design, but I'd like to see the Battle Kuku Army return, they were recently used in Sonic Universe (Archie Comics) and Sonic really IS lacking in recurring rogues, especially with enough members to be common enemies in levels, with the Kuku soldiers and thier mole-bots, as well as a fast, flying sub-boss, a mech using sub-boss and a big, grinning boss they would work well IMO.

Fang would be awesome to bring back. It would be glorious to first see him return in a Riders game with the Marvelous Queen. He could be a surprise character in the story that comes out of nowhere and proves to be almost as good with extreme gear as Sonic and Jet. And if they do the team thing again Bean and Bark would come along for the ride! *Insert possible Bean/Jet rivalry here too* As for Fang appearing in the main series, I'm not sure how well it would go having him use a real gun but if it can somehow be pulled off then I'm okay with it. If not, I have nothing against him doing the pew pew pew routine or being like Snake in Brawl.

A big YES to Metal Knuckles as well, as long as it doesn't involve most of the cast getting robot versions too. I never tire of fighting him in Advance and I have more fun playing as him than Super Sonic in Sonic R. Metal Knuckles could sort of compliment Metal Sonic in the way Cubot compliments Orbot, but he'd be badass in his own right and act independently from Metal Sonic because he's friggin' Metal KNUCKLES. I can't picture him as much of a team player unless it's one of those "desperate times, desperate measures" kind of things and Eggman threatens him to work with Metal Sonic or be deactivated. Metal Sonic would remain (mostly) loyal, while Metal Knuckles works for Eggman but refuses to work alongside Metal Sonic because it would bring back that Sonic/Knuckles rivalry without the real Sonic and Knuckles fighting again. Wow...I put way too much thought into this. :P

I'm not sure if Tails Doll can come back. Isn't he owned by Traveller's Tales? If he came back though, I am sure it would inspire more viral videos and YouTube poop. :lol:

I'm neutral about Mighty and Ray. I never cared much about them. If they're brought back and they mold them into great characters then I'll accept them with open arms.

Ray might be a good idea, if only to (re)introduce the "coward" archetype. I can't really think of any current character that can be called "cowardly" (well, apart from Tails, but that was only for one cutscene).

As much as I love the character, Diogenes has a fair point about Mighty. He's basically a mix of Knuckles and Cream if the Retro Wiki is anything to go by.

It would be great to see Ray and Fang return. I always thought Ray was an interesting looking character and he had alot of potential being a flying squirrel and all. Oh, and he's cute! :3

As for Fang, he's just awesome! =P I can imagine him and Rouge having a rivalry, or maybe the opposite, working together as a team.

Then there's Mighty. I dunno, I'm not really keen on him. He seems too much like Sonic to me, bar his strength. This could be though because his sprite in Knuckles Chaotix is just a recolour of Sonic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mighty does the same running motion and everything. >.>

If Mighty comes back he needs a built-in deflection gimmick with his shell, since he doesn't like to hurt people. Quick gameplay gimmick idea. Jumping on enemies with Mighty doesn't kill them. Instead he reflects shots to open doors and stuff. Not getting caught in another Mighty argument though. So I'm outta here.

There's no reason they'd need to keep Mighty as he was back then. Vector, Espio and Charmy were all changed quite a bit and reintroduced as new characters, after all.

I've thought for a while now that Mighty and Ray would work really well as alternates of Sonic and Tails from Blaze's dimension. But who knows if we'll ever see or hear about that place again.

I've thought for a while now that Mighty and Ray would work really well as alternates of Sonic and Tails from Blaze's dimension. But who knows if we'll ever see or hear about that place again.

Except you could make the argument that Blaze (and Marine) already fit that role.

I've always seen Blaze and Marine as being closer to Knuckles and Cream than anybody else.

He means their relationship is closer to that of Sonic and Tails. As in, Hero and sidekick buddy.

Alone, yeah Blaze is close to Knuckles' role, but Marine is always more of a Tails (Though I think Tails/Charmy fusion is more fitting)

Edited by MarcelloF

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... Marine isn't Blaze's sidekick, is she? It's been a while since I played, but the way I remember it, they had never met before the game and during it Blaze just treated Marine as an annoyance. There was some kind of hint towards it at the end, but that just reminded me of Blaze's last sidekick. Which was... Cream.

Plus Marine looks a hell of a lot like Cream. :P

I see a lot of people comparing her to Tails, but the only similarity I can see between them is that Marine has a jetski, which is kiiiind of like how Tails has a plane, only not really.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... Marine isn't Blaze's sidekick, is she? It's been a while since I played, but the way I remember it, they had never met before the game and during it Blaze just treated Marine as an annoyance. There was some kind of hint towards it at the end, but that just reminded me of Blaze's last sidekick. Which was... Cream.

Plus Marine looks a hell of a lot like Cream. :P

I see a lot of people comparing her to Tails, but the only similarity I can see between them is that Marine has a jetski, which is kiiiind of like how Tails has a plane, only not really.

It more out of convenience. In all 3 of Blaze's major appearances, Sega has felt the need to attach an dependent character to her with varied degrees of emotional instability (on a scale from Cream --> Silver --> Marine). Since Marine was the last, and since she is the only one with open access to Blaze's world, people will make that connection. Because she always has to work in tandem with Sonic (no matter how convoluted the circimstances) Blaze seems to always have a "Tails" tugging at her coattails.

Also, while this is a particular piece of topic related to the games, its hard to not look over to the comic series, where Marine has fallen into the tag-along role quite nicely for Blaze from time to time.

As for the connection between Marine and Tails, you really need to look no further than the "opposites" angle. Sonic and Blaze represent two extremes of the same goal, while Tails and Marine do the same as mechanics and sidekicks. Both are talented, but where Tails contributes to the mission with logic and an educated assessment, Marine is nearly always reckless, and doesn't necessarily know her place.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Is Marine a mechanic? Her Sonic Channel bio doesn't mention it... All I remember is her wanting to be a sailor, I thought Tails built everything that was used in the game while she just tagged along pretending to be the captain.

Is Marine a mechanic? Her Sonic Channel bio doesn't mention it... All I remember is her wanting to be a sailor, I thought Tails built everything that was used in the game while she just tagged along pretending to be the captain.

Marine built a few ships during the course of SRA. If I remember correctly, the first attempt at the SS Marine met its end at a rocky shoreline (no anchor or braking mechanism). She also custom built the waterbike she had at the end of the game, the SS Super Marine. I believe that is was implied that she constructed it overnight as well.

She won't be building fake chaos emeralds anytime soon, but for a kid her age (even in the Sonic series) picking up some material and crafting yourself some transportation is fairly impressive.

Edited by Sega DogTagz