Awoo.

Assassin's Creed 2

Patticus

So awesome...I'm sorry CSS.

I'm still renting the damn game just so I don't waste too much on disappointment. I advise you to do so too. ;)

I'm still renting the damn game just so I don't waste too much on disappointment. I advise you to do so too. ;)

Nope, getting my soundtrack and Ezio statue in my Collectors Edition. It looks fun, I never played the first one but who cares I want this game.

It looks fun, I never played the first one but who cares I want this game.

I've played the first one, and it got boring as soon as you got all the basic gear you needed. It's disappointment is leading me to rent the sequel as a measure of safety.

I've played the first one, and it got boring as soon as you got all the basic gear you needed. It's disappointment is leading me to rent the sequel as a measure of safety.

It can't be worse than Sonic 06... I'm just curious and the special edition was right up my alley with the 8 inch collectable figurine.

It can't be worse than Sonic 06... I'm just curious and the special edition was right up my alley with the 8 inch collectable figurine.

Hell no, AC1 is no where near as bad as Sonic 06. I played and beat it twice (on different accounts) just cuz. Yeah it does get kinda boring after getting all of the basic gear but whatever, all games are like that right?

Anyways, AC2 look 5x better than the original and so what if i start to get bored of the missions. I can go kill a random guy and from from the guards for a little while. And for a collectors edition that only cost $70... Can't beat that.

It can't be worse than Sonic 06...

Wrong topic, and bad comparison.

It's not the matter of how it fares to other games, it's the value in the game alone. It's repetitive, and that's the disappointing part of it.

You know, I don't get where the repetitive comments come from. If you actually plan out your assassinations it isn't repetitive. There are ways to pull them off efficiently or you can do it the repetitive way and just rush in and hope to be able to kill everyone long enough to get to the target.

You know, I don't get where the repetitive comments come from. If you actually plan out your assassinations it isn't repetitive. There are ways to pull them off efficiently or you can do it the repetitive way and just rush in and hope to be able to kill everyone long enough to get to the target.

Then you're a lot more accepting than I am.

But the whole point of the game is to be a stealthy assassin. If you rush in to kill your main target, you're likely to get into fights with other foes that will distract you from getting to your target and make things hell just to complete the mission. That essentially makes rushing towards you're foes as an unavailable option...except when they know you're after them before you even begin the chase and take off, and a lot of the targets did that.

And you don't even have that many ways to assassinate your foes as effiecently. You essentially have to be close enough to assassinate them without warning, or close enough to jump on them and kill them. Those are among your few options you have.

The game is repetitive, and that was the main complaint among many folks who played the game.

That's because people look at the wrong things. Sure the methods of murder are repetitive, just like about every other game out there. The interest is in finding better methods to pull off the assassinations. Scouting the area, finding new ways in without being noticed, finding better ways out without being caught, that's where the game shined. And it's also unfortunately often ignored in favor of just rushing things. The game is, after all, still a stealth game at heart.

And if you pay attention to the city layouts, each assassination can be pulled off radically different every time you play.

AC1 was repetitive because you had to do so much to properly prepare for the mission. You had to sit on the bench and eavesdrop. Beat up an informant. Steal information. Do stupid Assassin trials. The worst part of it was that you had to do it 9 times! There wasn't any variety and it became a chore instead of, I don't know, fun? Not to mention the idotic pedestrians that would screw you over at a moment's notice. It got ridiculous when an actual beggar became a pain in the ass and some drunk fuck would constantly keep pushing you. And god, lets not get started on the broken alert system. Thats my opinion of the first one.

I wasn't looking for anything wrong with AC1. I got that game because I was hyped on it.

I felt it was fun at first but I really ended up doing the same thing every mission. You eavesdrop, you pickpocket, you get more information, then you assassinate. After the 5 time it got repetitive, and I got sick of doing the same thing.

The game was repetitive as hell to me.

I loved the first game but I’m actually going to defend ChaosSupremeSonic as even I found the game repetitive towards the end. The latest Edge magazine has a good feature about it where it’s makers admit the first one was too formulaic. It wasn’t just the assassinations themselves but all of the legwork you had to do first; the small missions before you could actually go and kill your target. It was the same thing for all 9 of them and by the last two I was struggling to finish through the tedium.

The second one seems to have addressed this by offering a much wider variety of things to do and a much more unpredictable mission structure. Plus there’s reportedly much less messing around in the ‘real world’ which is a godsend.

Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed the first game but I can understand why people don’t.

The repetitive parts are the bits you have to do to gather information. Climb something tall to find places to get info, go do them, rinse, repeat. There are also only a few mission types each of which aren't that interesting on their own.

Am I the only one less than thrilled about the graphics? I know this'll be so much better than AC1 (which I loved, but wouldn't play it more than once)...but...

AC1 looked better, graphics wise. Perhaps it's just the videos, but the textures seem far from as clean, and the big one, the framerate, which looks below average. If I'm playing a game which is very much about moving fluidly (parkour aspects)...shouldn't the framerate be a very vital consideration in development?

I know it'll probably be fixed by the time it's released, and I'm pretty confident it will considering the other games using the same engine (AC1, PoP) were both gorgeous and had excellent framerate...but I guess the muddy look of some areas are just a turn off for me in this game.

Now...aside from that....I can not wait; it really seems they listened to the complaints and points against the first AC. Not sure how the health is going to tie in storywise (getting hurt more as a part of an upgrade to the Animus sounds more like a downgrade to me, logically), and I'll miss the more drawn out story elements delivered from each assassination (which will hopefully be made up from cutscenes explaining further what is going on), but the better fighting, more weapons, more options for targeting an assasination, Da Vinci and all his gadgets, and a big one for me, rewarded side-dungeons/missions (YES), makes me glad I have it preordered.

Edited by Roffles

Am I the only one less than thrilled about the graphics? I know this'll be so much better than AC1 (which I loved, but wouldn't play it more than once)...but...

AC1 looked better, graphics wise. Perhaps it's just the videos, but the textures seem far from as clean, and the big one, the framerate, which looks below average. If I'm playing a game which is very much about moving fluidly (parkour aspects)...shouldn't the framerate be a very vital consideration in development?

I know it'll probably be fixed by the time it's released, and I'm pretty confident it will considering the other games using the same engine (AC1, PoP) were both gorgeous and had excellent framerate...but I guess the muddy look of some areas are just a turn off for me in this game.

Now...aside from that....I can not wait; it really seems they listened to the complaints and points against the first AC. Not sure how the health is going to tie in storywise (getting hurt more as a part of an upgrade to the Animus sounds more like a downgrade to me, logically), and I'll miss the more drawn out story elements delivered from each assassination (which will hopefully be made up from cutscenes explaining further what is going on), but the better fighting, more weapons, more options for targeting an assasination, Da Vinci and all his gadgets, and a big one for me, rewarded side-dungeons/missions (YES), makes me glad I have it preordered.

It's hard to catch detail on your computer screen dude. You can only tell when it's actually in front of you.

It's hard to catch detail on your computer screen dude. You can only tell when it's actually in front of you.

"Perhaps it's just the videos..."

I'm not talking so much about the details, I know those'll take a downgrade, and the antialiasing, jaggies, and such will be much different...I'm just hoping that the video quality is the main reason for some of the low quality aspects (graphics-wise) I noticed. Still, the art style definitely seems better; sure, in some areas shown there's a little too much brown, but some look quite drop-dead gorgeous. I'm confident that it'll be a great looking game either way...I'm just feeling a tad bit "eh" bout some aspects that I thought to voice....

Anyways, new AC2 video out, an assassination. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it'll be as awesome as the last few trailers. ^__^

Edited by Roffles

I'm impressed by that new trailer that shows off the newer features.

Smoke bombs to get away from foes, a money system so that I can now buy weapons and armor for certain situations instead of getting them as the game moves on, hiring thieves to help lure guards away.

The air assassination move was long overdue in the first game tho, and if it was already somewhat in AC1 it must've been buggy or something, since it wasn't easy to pull off.

One thing I'm a little worried about is if that disarming scene was automated or not. If not, then no problems. But I don't want the game to pull the moves off for me. Though I don't think that's gonna happen, it's just something I want to be aware about.

I'm impressed by that new trailer that shows off the newer features.

Smoke bombs to get away from foes, a money system so that I can now buy weapons and armor for certain situations instead of getting them as the game moves on, hiring thieves to help lure guards away.

The air assassination move was long overdue in the first game tho, and if it was already somewhat in AC1 it must've been buggy or something, since it wasn't easy to pull off.

One thing I'm a little worried about is if that disarming scene was automated or not. If not, then no problems. But I don't want the game to pull the moves off for me. Though I don't think that's gonna happen, it's just something I want to be aware about.

Yeah, I remember doing those air assassinations quite often....but it was more of a dice roll in your timing than here...then again, there seems to be more architecture that lets you pounce on enemies as such than the first. The disarming scene, if they kept the same camera styles as the first, doesn't seem automatic, since the automatic scenes are usually zoomed in....that and the original only had the counter as automatic...

Just a theory, but these disarm/take weapon moves seem like a counter + grab, because I remember in another video where you can just take their weapon and keep it for a while before tossing it.

Also, I'm quite glad that the framerate seems much better in this recent video, because the animation in either of the AC games (or ones that use the Scimtar or whatever they're calling it engine) are absolutely gorgeous. I still gotta wonder how that 90 degree turn is pulled off, controls wise, almost makes me wish they left the HUD on in that video. :P

Edited by Roffles

• 3 weeks later...

This is really looking too damn good! Gun, Blades, Poison, Da Vinci, Pimps, Hos, Cars...this looks like it's gonna be better than I thought it would.

But I'm still renting the damn thing. <_<

This is really looking too damn good! Gun, Blades, Poison, Da Vinci, Pimps, Hos, Cars...this looks like it's gonna be better than I thought it would.

But I'm still renting the damn thing. <_<

Interesting info. I like how they showcase different types of armor and explain how this game is to take a very long course over the character. The cast looks a lot better as well, and I have to say that if it wasn't for the visuals of this game I wouldn't have been half-assed insterested in the Reniassance than I am now.

But I'm still renting the damn game. <_< UbiSoft got me twice with the latest Prince of Persia and AC1, so I'm gonna rent AC2 to make sure that the third time is the charm.

Interesting info. I like how they showcase different types of armor and explain how this game is to take a very long course over the character. The cast looks a lot better as well, and I have to say that if it wasn't for the visuals of this game I wouldn't have been half-assed insterested in the Reniassance than I am now.

But I'm still renting the damn game. <_< UbiSoft got me twice with the latest Prince of Persia and AC1, so I'm gonna rent AC2 to make sure that the third time is the charm.

Im not even gonna lie, POP 2008 was kinda a let down but it was still fun as hell. AC1 did all of what the developers said it was gonna do (during TGS and E3) And still came out under COD4 and (the most overrated game EVER) GTA4. Oh well rent the game. It's not like your missing out on anything (the master assassin edition *US version*).

Anyways Dev video 5 was great! I really love the ending.. "theres a hero on the roof"...SMACK! haha. I did not know about the long 30+ years you have to play through. That makes this game an even more RESERVE AND BUY 1ST DAY!

Assassin's Creed (Live Action) - Lineage - Part 1

It looked like a fan-film in trailers gone by, but this is so much better than any fan project, and it provides a good amount of background to this game.