Awoo.

Where do you think Sonic should go from here?

Gamenerd

Since when did Disney even bother with the franchise at all?

Edited by Vulpine
  • Bad Quality Post 3

I just got the idea that Sonic should go dimensional hopping. That's really the last frontier I can think of.

Sure Sonic's done it before, but not with such focus on actually hopping multiple dimensions unless Chronicles actually did that (and as far as I've read, they're all in ONE single dimension during the later part of the game.

It would be kind of interesting to see how something like that could be pulled off. Tho I'd say it's a bit more difficult to imagine for myself unless execution allows for completely random ideas that flow seamlessly into the set up Sonic has. We've already had aliens of three different kinds, one of the evil, one of the cute, and one of the oppressed/conquered yet powerful, so it wouldn't be too much of a bad thing if they went along that route for different dimensions.

And yeah, I kind of got the inspiration from Mario. Not that Mario should be the path that Sonic should follow, but I guess it doesn't hurt to get inspiration from it at the very least.

I hope that never happens, or else I will not be happy to see beloved video game brands owned by the same parent company as The Lion King (which I despise that movie).

Lion King?...wait, what?

Okay seriously man, I'm hardly seeing the issue here. Disney buying out Sega is probably the most random thing you brought up, and the last thing on anyone's mind. I doubt Disney has any kind of plans for that, but regardless this whole Disney thing you got going on is completely irrelevant. And it's barely even an issue to get worked up over.

Some game companies, like SEGA, Konami, Capcom and Square-Enix, have worked with Disney or made Disney games in the past. My worst nightmare would be that Disney buying one or even all of those companies in the future like they did with Marvel back in 2009. I hope that never happens, or else I will not be happy to see beloved video game brands owned by the same parent company as The Lion King (which I despise that movie).

It also disappoints me that some Sonic fans are also fans of Disney, and they think a crossover between Sonic and something like Kingdom Hearts is a wonderful idea (it's not. I personally find crossover fanfics and art quite disturbing). God forbid, I hope SEGA doesn't listen to those kinds of fans.

Disney is not the only entertainment giant or animation studio out there. There are many others, yet people ignore them for the sake of thinking that "(insert non-Disney movie here) sucks because (insert Disney movie here) is better", which is just disappointing. I wish people would be open-minded instead of thinking that every non-Disney movie they see is flops/box office bombs/atrocities/whatever. Not every movie is like that, and there are plenty out there that are successful (such as today's anime shows and movies).

Oh cmon, who doesn't want to see Sonic have a crossover with snow white? ;D

All jokes aside, I'm guessing you'd rather have Sonic's schoolhouse get re-released countless times instead of new Sonic games than a good Sonic Disney crossover(Not that I want one, I just want to see how you react).

Sonic should be lighthearted and not confusing. Also, canon/stories are getting overrated. How about some 3-D games without a story? That way you can get away with putting certain characters in the games.

If they are going to do a story... pleas make the character essential to the story. In Sonic Adventure... Big wasn't really needed :(

If they are going to do a story... pleas make the character essential to the story. In Sonic Adventure... Big wasn't really needed :(
Who would save Froggy, then? Clearly the whole game would fall apart without Big.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm only being half facetious. Characters shouldn't be shoved into the story without purpose, but "purpose" isn't a binary "has" or "has not". Big's role in SA is relatively small, but perfectly valid; he contributes to the overall story, and his story is proportional in size and value to the overall story.

Edited by Diogenes

Who would save Froggy, then? Clearly the whole game would fall apart without Big.

That, and the sixth Chaos Emerald wouldn't have have been hidden very well, however unintentional for the frog to have it.

And it wouldn't give the E-Series much purpose either, as Gamma was interconnected with Big if only slightly.

Now if we want to call out characters that weren't needed, may I give a shout out to Knuckles in Sonic 06 who barely did anything?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I'd like to see them give the '06 Sonic gameplay-format another try with today's knowledge.

Adventure-style section (more 3D platforming/skill-for-gaining-speed orientated) -> Unleashed/Colours-style section (more 2D platforming/3D reaction/skill-for-maintaining-speed orientated) -> Goal.

It doesn't necessarily have to be separated by load screen, though. Perhaps have a 'speed-up' checkpoint informing players of the style change.

It'd be interesting to have larger, more open areas for certain 'speed-up' bits too.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the original OP question:

Actually make Sonic work in 3D. Sorry Sega, but Unleashed just isn't going to cut it. I want to see you do a 3D game in a 3D environment. Unleashed is more a 3D game in a 1D environment. You can't hide behind 2D sections forever, they need to really buckle down and make Sonic TRULY work in 3D. I've already given my ideas for a 3D game way too many times and I couldn't be assed to post it again so copy-pasta powers go!

We've seen several different ways to enhance speed in Sonic games, but never ways to enhance platforming, and I am of the firm belief that parkour encompasses EVERYTHING that made the classics so fun. Platforming, flow, and the whole concept itself of nimbly leaping and climbing over obstacles to move through an area as fast as possible pretty much perfectly describes what the Genesis games were all about.

Somersaulting, wall-jumping, wall-running, climbing over ledges, rolling under tight spaces, etc etc, all these abilities greatly add more emphasis on platforming and expand it; enhance it.

From the second question:

No gimmicks, just gameplay and power-ups. The "gimmicks" should be isolated to specific levels themselves, as a slew of different obstacles for Sonic to interact with. Don't stop coming up with different gimmicks to litter the levels. The game shouldn't need a gimmick when the levels can be sufficient gimmicks in themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now if we want to call out characters that weren't needed, may I give a shout out to Knuckles in Sonic 06 who barely did anything?

Sure... Elise and Blaze were not needed as well.

Actually, they were. Sonic Rush and 06's stories would not have been able to go on without Blaze and Elise, I may hate Elise, but it's the truth. At least Blaze was a pretty average character that never got in the way and would even point out how stupid some characters are or how annoying.

• Bad Quality Post 2

That's why I disliked Blaze... she always thinks she's better... like she's perfect.. plus her fans on the other forums are now getting annoying. I now know how some people feel when I ramble about Silver XD

As for Elise.. yeah she WAS necessary somewhat... but her role... ehh...

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice question indeed. I've been wondering about this for so long, even though I've stepped out of the Sonic world for a year. I've been a Sonic fan since the old days, and a Sonic Cage Dome player, so, my gameplay style is based around the Genesis Sonic Games.

What I'd really like to see what Sonic 3 & Knuckles remade, or even a really nice sequel to it. What happened to the story after that? It kinda died, IMO. But there are a lot of specs I'd like to meet here.

• If SEGA keeps going with the Fans suggestions, things might go worse, so they should stop doing that in a certain way. They just need to listen to the valuable information, and squeeze everything out of it, the right way.
  • Secondly, one of the things that should really be done, is follow the aspect that the sequel should have multiple playable characters. Don't introduce new ones, use the ones that exist currently. With some of those characters, you can create the perfect story.
  • The story would be S3K's sequel, which would be based with something like.. An intro video with what happened before, and then keep on going with the story. Or maybe start, for instance when playing with Sonic, with a dream, and remake Sonic's battle with Knuckles at the Hidden Palace Zone. I dunno, something to continue the sequel, with Eggman searching to the Master Emerald insanely.
  • The new characters would appear in the story progressively, or be taken there. Like a remake, for instance. How did Amy meet Sonic? It was surely before Sonic CD, because they already knew each other in Sonic CD. Something like that, and include it in the story.
  • As for gameplay, S3K's gameplay renewed in 2D, and some 3D parts, like the special stages. The classic machine after beating eggman with the flickers, that would be amazing. The bonus stages too. Don't forget about the shields, fire, bolt and the bubble. Man, so classic.
  • Regarding zones, they could use old Sonic Zones, in Angel Island, or even use that hidden "Dust Hill Zone" that we all hear about so much, but was never really shown or remade.

That yes, would be a Sonic Game. Not something that would end so quickly BTW. And adding new features of course, but I leave that to Sega's imagination. =P

That's why I disliked Blaze... she always thinks she's better... like she's perfect.. plus her fans on the other forums are now getting annoying. I now know how some people feel when I ramble about Silver XD

As for Elise.. yeah she WAS necessary somewhat... but her role... ehh...

Well, Blaze is not that perfect, in any way. You can get it out of Sonic '06's Last Silver Cutscene. At least she can show some affection, yes?

PS: Sorry about the double post, I really wanted to say something to this. XD

First and foremost, Sonic needs a game plan. Tone doesn't change as bipolarly as it did between Heroes and Shadow unless you have no idea what you want to do with the series. They need to make each game work off of the momentum of the last rather than just bounce around inconsistently. It's fine to have a change of pace every now and again, but keep it subtle.

As for gameplay, I think Diogenes put it best- they need to find a way to make 3D work without relying on 2D. Honestly, I think that they should stick to the classic formula as well as they can for 2D but they need a different design philosophy for 3D. I just don't think pinball physics can work in a 3D platforming environment unless Marble Blast Ultra is the model you're looking for for a Sonic game. I think what the Adventure games and Secret Rings went for was great- a dynamic, linear environment over a steady, large one. Some exploration here and there is necessary to keep things interesting, but I don't think large environments drive the 3D games so much as ones that are consistently exciting. Hitching a ride on a missile or escaping the pull of an infernal tornado might not work in an environment that focuses on immediate challenges like Sonic 2 but it's a real thrill in a game that emphasizes progress and consistently fast pacing like SA2.

Definitely a tough question. At this point Sonic Colours seems to be bringing Sonic back to the good times again so now there's pressure of keeping that momentum going. If wisps or something like them get used in the next game everyone is most likely going to complain about receptivity and comparing it to Mario Galaxy 2 in more ways than one.

I'm okay with Sonic sticking with the 2D/3D transitions for another game or two, but yeah it probably will end up feeling repetitive too. Sonic doing more parkour sounds like a cool idea. I haven't played Mirror's Edge but I loved the parkour in Tony Hawk's American Wasteland so I'm definitely not opposed to more parkour goodness. I agree that the spin dash should be used again somehow. I loved doing a boost before a dash pad in Unleashed just to see the spin dash. It just made the speeding up process look more epic. Yes, shields should be brought back. It was great seeing the basic one in All-Stars, I'd like to see the rest of them come back too. The fire shield jump at least would easily fit in with the boosting mechanic. Super Sonic in regular levels, YES PLEASE.

There really need to be more playable characters again. I love the whole Sonic universe and all the different things each character brings to the table. I love how Tails can fly using his tails, I thought it was cute first time I saw it. I love how Silver can use telekinesis because it's a fun superpower to have. I love how Cubot has a variety of voice chips that make him act different, I could go on. Though not a big deal with this game, my biggest disappointment with Colours is that Tails wasn't playable at any point. As much as I love Sonic I like playing as someone else sometimes just to mix things up a bit. We can't have just Sonic forever because again that will be repetitive. Don't go overboard with all sorts of crazy styles (no more fishing please, save that for a mini-game in a Sonic Shuffle 2 or something like that), but a few styles that don't stray too far from the Sonic formula would be good. Shadow and Metal Sonic can fit with the 2D/3D formula since they're equally fast as Sonic. Tails could work too since he's almost as fast (at least in the classic games), he would just be slower but have his flight ability to make up for it like in SA except not as broken. Actually, maybe the parkour idea would work better for Espio than Sonic?

I love Sonic's personality in Colours. Without spoiling the cutscenes I'll say he's edgy and witty just like how I imagined he would be. This should stick around. It's like he's countering Mario's personality as if it's the 90's all over again, except Mario and Sonic seem to be on good terms and Sonic is more talkative now. :P

I'd like to see Tails in particular be more badass again. I loved how in SA2 he dealt with Eggman directly more than Sonic did. I'm not saying Sega should repeat the Tails/Eggman rivalry, but it would be cool to see Tails help Sonic fight if even just once. And not in a plane/mech/robot. A good old spin dash or tail attack will do just fine. How Tails occasionally stands up to Sonic in Colours is a baby step in the right direction.

If Knuckles comes back in another main series title I hope the Master Emerald is brought back in a way that doesn't involve treasure hunting. It was strange seeing Knux thrown into Heroes with no real reason to leave Angel Island. Doesn't matter in the spin-offs so much, but it should in the main games. If the Madworld writers are kept on for future games I'm confident they can pull off something great with him. Maybe he can even start interacting with the Chaotix regardless of whether their game was canon or not. It would be a good opportunity to have him socialize with characters other than Sonic and Tails while also making him a bit more independent at the same time.

Doing another character spin-off is probably not a good idea. I can picture Silver in a Force Unleashed kind of game but that may not turn out so great. We probably don't have to worry about a character spin-off considering the mostly bad reception from Shadow the Hedgehog. Thank goodness.

I'm not opposed to the occasional Mario sports kind of spin-off though. They're good excuses to shove in a lot of playable characters, plus they're good opportunities to fit Sonic into a good party experience without trying to figure out how to fit that into the main series as a separate mode. Sonic Riders is like the spiritual successor to Sonic R I never knew I wanted so I hope Free Riders isn't the last game of that series. I won't mind a Mario and Sonic 3 as long as it isn't tied to the Olympics, which according to rumours won't be.

In short keep the 2D/3D formula but not for too long, have a couple more characters playable, and keep the spin-offs but don't make any character based ones. And make Tails and Knuckles more awesome. Espio + Parkour = possibly good alternative to Sonic's levels.

Edited by Captain THPS4
  • Thumbs Up 1

More of the same. I want innovation (Colors), speed (Colors), platforming (COLORS), replay value (COLORS), etc.

Here's what I don't want: Sonic Adventure 3. Want to know why? Enjoy. I sure as hell didn't do that while reviewing these pieces of shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAC6hv0FuM

Way to advertise your videos.

PS: Do you want me to make a topic when we start the Sonic Adventure 2 commentary?

Way to advertise your videos.

PS: Do you want me to make a topic when we start the Sonic Adventure 2 commentary?

Yeah, that would be great.

We go on and one about how Sonic Adventure 3 would be a terrible Idea, but you never considered maybe they would tweak the stages to be more akin to the Colors style. I know people will argue that Sega needs to work on the 3D portions of Sonic, but they've been trying for over 10 years and frankly if they screw it up after an amazing game like Colors I'll be pretty pissed. Its like the Zelda and Mario series, Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario 64 pretty much established what those games would play like in 3D and Nintendo only expands on that formula, I know it may seem repetitive, but the games sell. Sonic has finally found his style, with the 2D/3D perspective It gives us awesome platforming and the speed Sonic is known for, Why change it?. I want them to expand of this formula, do what they did with Colors but on a much grander scale. I'm pretty sure they can find styles for the other characters as well.

I also want the Madworld writers to stay, seriously this script is pretty much the best in any game, and brings out the best in the character's personalities(I.e. Sonic's Cockiness) :D

Let me rephrase everything I said.

I wish for Sega to take Colors' gameplay and expand upon it more. Use less 2D and more 3D. Don't seperate the slopes and hills from the platforming segments. Make the 3D sections more expandable and open compared to the thin tracks that take up the majority of Colors' level design. Not use as much rainbow hoops and dash pads, and make the player rely on their own movement to traverse through the stages. Throw the retro fans a bone (as well as the continuity) and put rolling and the Spin dash somewhere in the gameplay (roll replaces slide, spin dash is crouch + boost? It'd also work like using the pink wisp without surface sticking).

As for other characters and balanced character diversity, every character should be able to run, jump, and roll / slide. For seperate moves, every character should have a different air move, and a move on the X button. Sonic's moves are the double jump / homing attack and the boost. Give Tails the green wisp's hover abilities for flight, maybe a sorta gimped version of the rocket wisp power as a sort of vertical boost, and an SA1-style tail swipe move. Give Knuckles the pink wisp's wall-stick abilities, rocket wisp's skydive-glide, and the drill power. Give Shadow the laser ability (known as Chaos Control for him) with a meshed together jump dash / light dash.

Besides all these things I listed, keep the same thing Segas been doing with Colors. There lies the key to the perfect Sonic game. Better flow, more characters, more 3D, more openness, less automation.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'd like to see them give the '06 Sonic gameplay-format another try with today's knowledge.

I agree. Taking the Sonic 06 format and using today's mechanics could work and just might make it way more improved.

I agree. Taking the Sonic 06 format and using today's mechanics could work and just might make it way more improved.

Am I the only one that does not get all the love that Sonic Colors is getting? It seems like a Super Mario Galaxy rip-off to me. Wasn't Sonic meant to not be like Mario?

I think that 3-D Sonic needs to be more like Sonic and less like a Mario rip-off.

One of the things that I really like about the Sonic series is how all the characters have personalities. So far for the last few games(I'm not counting multplayer games like Sonic Free Riders)Sonic has been the only playable character. I find Sonic kind of boring when he doesn't have Tails around.

In the long term people will want the other characters back.

• Bad Quality Post 2

Am I the only one that does not get all the love that Sonic Colors is getting? It seems like a Super Mario Galaxy rip-off to me. Wasn't Sonic meant to not be like Mario?

I think that 3-D Sonic needs to be more like Sonic and less like a Mario rip-off.

One of the things that I really like about the Sonic series is how all the characters have personalities. So far for the last few games(I'm not counting multplayer games like Sonic Free Riders)Sonic has been the only playable character. I find Sonic kind of boring when he doesn't have Tails around.

In the long term people will want the other characters back.

• Thumbs Up 2