Awoo.

The Lion King

Tailikku

Teaser1.jpg

So what are your fondest memories of the Lion King?

Mine was when this film came out (I was 2!) and I distinctly remember the scene where Simba returns to the Pridelands only to find that it's now wasted.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tailikku

• Eileanach

• Sean

• Gabz Girl

It's been a while since I've last seen The Lion King, but I think it's one of the best Disney classics ever made! The characters were loveable, the animation was grea,t and I loved the memorable soundtrack it had.

Tailikku: Can you add more history or development to your opening post? The information here is pretty shotty. First posts really need more than an average post. Weird I know. :0~

lol wait til Blur sees this topic. nvm, someone needs to make a Balto topic.

When I was little, my grandfather took me to see it on Broadway. We left during the intermission for the food. He asked if I wanted to see the rest. After I said "yes" I fell asleep. I regret not seeing the ending.

I also saw the movie but I never really liked it.

The Lion King is my absolute fave film next to Lady and the Tramp *0*. So much of it is so masterful, so memorable that picking a favourite part is hard. Infact, i'll list a few of them;

- Mufasa's death and Simba's discovery of his dead father. Ever since the first time I watched it I break down in tears of sorrow because it's so powerful. Hans Zimmerman is a musical genius especially in that scene, not to say his entire score isn't as impressive because it's sheer brilliance but the music made that scene so much more powerful. The imagery of the tiny Simba crawling under the paw of his comparitively massive dad gets me every time. The way he tries to rouse Mufasa is heartbreaking.

- Everything Timon and Pumbaa do. 'Nuff said. Actually, possibly the best moment is 'Hakuna Matata' and the part where Timon dances like a hula girl to distract the Hyenas :D

- 'Can you feel the love tonight'. Amongst my most favourite of romantic moments in ANY media. It's so goddamn beautiful.

- The climax, where Simba climbs Pride Rock during the rainfall to the totally epic swelling music. Chills ran down my spine. Especially when Simba roars and the other animals look in awe whilst the lionesses roar in tandem with their king. The cherry on the cake was Simba seeing his father's likeness again in the sky, telling him to remember who he is.

- Simba seeing his father's 'ghost' in the clouds. But before that, following Rafiki to the little pond after chasing said Mandrill through a jungle and then really seeing his father within him through the reflections on the water. It's as if Simba did soul searching after denying that the reflection was just his and his alone. You really really feel for Simba when his father's 'ghost' vanishes and he chases it fruitlessly, begging for him not to leave him T_T

- Mufasa's death and Simba's discovery of his dead father. Ever since the first time I watched it I break down in tears of sorrow because it's so powerful. Hans Zimmer is a musical genius especially in that scene, not to say his entire score isn't as impressive because it's sheer brilliance but the music made that scene so much more powerful. The imagery of the tiny Simba crawling under the paw of his comparitively massive dad gets me every time. The way he tries to rouse Mufasa is heartbreaking.

I feel sorry for the kid. I mean he is completely traumatized by the fact that he just saw his father plummet from the canyon wall and get trampeled on by gnu, and later get told by Scar that it was all his fault that Mufasa's dead.

- Everything Timon and Pumbaa do. 'Nuff said. Actually, possibly the best moment is 'Hakuna Matata' and the part where Timon dances like a hula girl to distract the Hyenas :D

|<1(|<@$$! But seriously, you can't pass up the "Hawaiian War Dance"!

- 'Can you feel the love tonight'. Amongst my most favourite of romantic moments in ANY media. It's so goddamn beautiful.

I love this scene to pieces since Simba and Nala have been reunited after a 10-month(?) span.

- The climax, where Simba climbs Pride Rock during the rainfall to the totally epic swelling music. Chills ran down my spine. Especially when Simba roars and the other animals look in awe whilst the lionesses roar in tandem with their king. The cherry on the cake was Simba seeing his father's likeness again in the sky, telling him to remember who he is.

Mufasa: Remeber...

- Simba seeing his father's 'ghost' in the clouds. But before that, following Rafiki to the little pond after chasing said Mandrill through a jungle and then really seeing his father within him through the reflections on the water. It's as if Simba did soul searching after denying that the reflection was just his and his alone. You really really feel for Simba when his father's 'ghost' vanishes and he chases it fruitlessly, begging for him not to leave him T_T

This does have similarities to "To Be or Not To Be".

I find it somewhat overrated. Sure it's really damn good etc but the latter half of it just flops down because Timon & Pumba steal the show completely which makes the rest of the film pale in comparison, and Simba is just plain dull as a main character.

Haven't seen the second one but 1 1/2 (or 3 if you call it that) is the best of the series.

Edited by Flint

Can you say the BEST DISNEY MOVIE EVER? I mean Damn It did it perfect! Nuff said.

Tailikku you were TWO... I feel anchient and Im only 21 XD.

This film was the last truly good Disney film for me. I seem to remember it all going a bit 3D after this anyway.

Also the sequal and (omg yes there was a) threequal were shit.

My all time favourite Disney Movies and the first film I saw at the cinemas I believe.

Personally I have always been a fan of Disney's more animal based films like Oliver and Company, Basil the Great Mouse Dective and Fox and the Hound etc.... I think the animal charracters always seem to be more human like; this something Disney is brilliant at doing.

Plus I like how they have drawn Simba's eye.

I still have my Simba plush toy he stits on my bed.

Blur is going to go crazy at this topic.... :D

Oh and has anyone Noticed that Disney have start selling more Lion King theme stuff?

Also is the film getting a rerelease?

and there gos my "Dark" reputation *does vimpire shirek and runs into the night*!!!! <_<

Edited by Bloodfetish

No doubt it will be an amazing SPECIAL edition, that recaptures from the original source bringing the vibrants and sharp colours etc etc etc etc...

...OH AND ON BLUE RAY FOR HI DEFINITION PUMBAA.

It's been a while since I've last seen The Lion King, but I think it's one of the best Disney classics ever made! The characters were loveable, the animation was great and I loved the memorable soundtrack it had.

As shocking as this is going to be... :unsure: The Lion King, in my opinion, is one of the most overrated Disney films. It has the same formula to most of the other Disney classics released. Has the same beautiful magic and catchy songs. Now don't get me wrong, I don't HATE the Lion King I just think there are ones that are better than it.

I went to the cinema with my mother to see it. I enjoyed it and so did she. How can you not love a Disney film? The thing is it sort of grinds me gears how well loved it is. It seems to a lot of people who take their love for the film too far that it's the only real Disney film.

There are plenty of films that could have the love and adoration that the Lion King has, catchier songs, even more sickeningly lovable characters and yet they don't get the love? Why? Can anyone explain that?

Now don't all get all "OMG YOU MUST BURN WITCH" on me, I have expressed this purely as MY opinion and I have a right to it. Plus it's good to throw some conflicting views into the mix.

I love this movie!

Oh how I remember how amazing it was... It was really good. It made me happy, made cry, made think, and made me enjoy it. I just like how Scar was killed by his own trickery. So kids... Lying will get you killed!

I've also seen the broadway version in New York. It was pretty brilliant. But it's kind off topic though...

Oh.. Fun fact... Lion King is based off Hamlet. But I think everybody knows already...

*long post* :0

I agree completely with you, Eil. I mean, I do love the Lion King (I first saw it when I was 3 but..I have very faint memory of it, and then it's not good memories either aka being scared of it and stuff D: ). Amazing songs, amazing characters and story, and a-MAZING animation, so it's obviously one of my favourites. But come on, it's not THE best Disney movie ever! There just isn't. Each Disney movie is good in their own way. Yes, even Home on the Range and Chicken Little! >.>

Hmm, the most memorable scenes for me are the extravagant opening which always makes my belly flutter for some reason, from the very moment that sun rises up from the horizon. XD Then there's the scene where Mufasa dies, which is just...heartbreaking. T_T And of course Can You Feel the Love Tonight, the whooole scene. It's just lovely~ <3

PS: Just remembered I saw the Lion King musical in West End too when it first started in '97. Bloody 'ell that was fantastic! Best musical ever!

Then there's the scene where Mufasa dies, which is just...heartbreaking.

This is True. I swear every time when I was a child (aww the memories of the 90's) I teared up everytime I saw this scene. Poor Simba loosing his Great daddy.

I always remember when Mufasa died... it was sad and scared me as a child. Oh yeah how the hyenas used to yell out "Mufasa!".

Ed was my favorite hyena with that insane laugh.

Edited by silencer226

I always remember when Mufasa died... it was sad and scared me as a child. Oh yeah how the hyenas used to yell out "Mufasa!".

Ed was my favorite hyena with that insane laugh.

Yeah, same here since he was stupid!

Zazu: {Aside, surreptitiously, to Tailikku} Ix-nay on the oopid-stay...

Banzai: Who you callin' "oopid-stay"?!?

Tailikku:{Harried} My, my, my. Look at the time. {starts to try to run} It's time to go!

Shenzi: What's the hurry? We'd looove you to stick around for dinner.

Banzai: Yeaaaah! We could have whatever's... "lion" around! {In the background} Get it? Lion around! {laughs}

Shenzi: Oh wait, wait, wait. I got one, I got one. Make mine a "cub" sandwich. Whatcha think?

Tailikku: Just SHUT-UP YOU TWO! {Runs}

{Peals of uncontrollable laughter. Ed jumps up and starts gesticulating and jabbering.}

Shenzi: What? Ed? What is it?

Banzai: {Looking where Ed is pointing} Hey, did we order this dinner to go?

Shenzi: No. Why?

Banzai: 'Cause there it goes!

Edited by Tailikku

I loved this movie so much! I got a stuffed lion and named it Simba he's my best friend at home. I don't remember a thing about it except some scene about Scar dropping Simba's dad or something. I mean I was really little.

I remember watching The Lion King when I was 10 years old. Young Simba was voiced by Jonathan Taylor Thomas and James Earl Jones was Mufassa. Those are the only two voice actors I remember from the animated film. The voice actors all did a good job providing the voices of whoever they provided. It was a really great Disney animated film, one of the best they made in the 1990's. I saw The Lion King on Broadway a few years back, that was a good production.

Ya know these are my fave bits of Dialouge in the movies;

LK 1

Rafiki: STOP!

{Rafiki motions to Simba near some reeds.}

Shhh.

{He parts the reeds and points past them with his staff.}

Look down there.

{Simba quietly and carefully works his way out. He looks

over the edge and sees his reflection in a pool of water

He first seems a bit startled, perhaps at his own mature

appearance, but then realizes what he's looking at.}

Simba: {Disappointed sigh} That's not my father. That's just my reflection.

Rafiki: Noo. Look harder.

{Rafiki motions over the pool. Ripples form, distorting Simba's

reflection; they resolve into Mufasa's face. A deep rumbling noise

is heard.}

You see, he lives in you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

{Buzzards are circling the cub's body. One descends, then

all. They circle around it. With a blast of music, Timon

riding Pumbaa appears and dives into the midst of the

buzzards. They slap and kick the buzzards all away.}

Timon: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaahh! Get out! Get out! Get outta here! Whoo!

Pumbaa: I love it! Bowling for buzzards!

Timon: {Laughing, dusting himself off} Gets 'em every time.

Pumbaa: {Looking at Simba} Uh-oh. Hey Timon. You better come look. I think it's still alive.

Timon: Ewww...

{Timon walks to the front of Simba. He is lying with his paw over his face.}

Timon: All righty, what have we got here? {he smells Simba}

{He tries to lift Simba's paw. He can't. He gets under it and with a great push gets it above his head. He sees

Simba's face.}

Timon: Jeez, it's a lion! {Jumping up on Pumbaa} Run, Pumbaa! Move it!

Pumbaa: Hey, Timon. It's just a little lion. Look at him. He's so cute, and all alone! Can we keep him?

Timon: {Yelling into Pumbaa's ear, which creates a reverberating effect}

Pumbaa, are you nuts? We're talking about a lion. Lions eat guys like us.

Pumbaa: But he's so little.

{He leans over to regard Simba, and accidentally dumps Timon from his head.}

Timon: He's gonna get bigger.

Pumbaa: {Seen from Timon's point of view on the ground, with a huge nose) Maybe he'll be on our side.

Timon: A--huh! That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Maybe he'll b-- ...Hey, I got it! What if he's on our side?

You know, having a lion around might not be such a bad idea.

Pumbaa: So we keeping 'im?

Timon: Of course. Who's the brains in this outfit?

{Pumbaa scoops Simba up on his tusks}

Pumbaa: Uhhh...

Timon: My point exactly. Jeez, I'm fried. Let's get out of here and find some shade.

Zazu:

Nobody knows

The trouble I've seen

Nobody knows

My sorrow...

Scar: Oh Zazu, do lighten up. {He tosses the bone at Zazu and it clatters against the cage} Sing something with a little... bounce in it.

Zazu: {Thinks a moment}

It's a small world after all...

Scar: {Interrupting, almost shouting} No! No. Anything but that!

Zazu: {Thinks, then holds up a feather as a tune comes to him.}

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts

(diddely-dee-dee)

There they are a-standing in a row...

{Scar is enjoying this and starts to join in}

Zazu and Scar: Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head...

Zazu: {While Scar continues} Oh... I would never have had to do this for Mufasa.

Scar: {Quick and angry} What? What did you say?

Zazu: Oh, nothing!

Scar: You know the law: Never, ever mention THAT name in my presence. I... am... the KING!

Timon: Gone back? What do you mean? {Looks where Rafiki was; Rafiki is now gone} Hey! What's goin' on here? Who's the monkey?

Nala: Simba's gone to challenge Scar.

Timon: Who?

Nala: Scar.

Pumbaa: Who's got a scar?

Nala: {Shaking head} No, no, no. It's his uncle.

Timon: The monkey's his uncle?

Nala: No! Simba's gone back to challenge his uncle to take his place as king.

Timon and Pumbaa: Ohhh.

If it weren't for Timon and Pumba, this would have been a lot better. When I think back to The Lion King, I recall how much I truly only enjoyed the first half of the film. The second half was very different in tone, and not for the better, and the way it tries to wrap everything up felt pretty rushed in itself.

It's still pretty good, don't get me wrong, but it's still overrated, and the second half was pretty immature and a stark contrast to the first half. It felt like two completely different movies slapped together in one.

...Seriously, why the fucking shit hell did they even put Timon and Pumba in the damned movie in the first place? inb4 "trying to make it appeal to kids" because Genie in Aladdin was made to appeal to kids but he was a damn good character because Robin Williams went all-out on him, and I don't see movies such as The Great Mouse Detective depending on dumb funnymen either. All I see with T&P are stupid flatulence jokes.

Edited by Jake

lol wait til Blur sees this topic. nvm, someone needs to make a Balto topic.

Blur is going to go crazy at this topic.... biggrin.gif

Come on, I don't like it that much, ^^"...

Ok, I do, XD. Like a lot of you, The Lion King has been one of, if not, my favorite Disney films ever. I used to watch it a ton of times to help me get through my mom's passing when I was little because I felt like I could fill Simba's shoes at the Mufasa dieing scene. Still can't watch that part without crying, =/. I do agree that the movie starts going downhill for the most part for the second half of the movie. Timon and Pumbaa were funny, but they kinda distracted from the show a little bit. My opinion anyways.

Along with the movie, I played an unhealthy amount time with the Sega Genesis game way back when, XD. So much that is still remains the only video game I could ever manage getting my dad into plus my Uncle Steve couldn't stand being in the same room as it, ^^. It is a really fun game though and I occasionally bust it out as a ROM just to play through it for nostalgic purposes. Highly recommend anyone to play it, Lion King fan or not.

I used to have a Simba stuff animal from when the movie came out, but I don't know where he's at anymore, =/. He could very well be hid away in storage with other awesome stuffed animals I had like Abu from Aladdin, but whatever, I'll find it someday.

It's funny that this topic just came up though, XD. I was really obsessed with it for a few months a few months ago (obviously some remember, XP), and just about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I picked up a copy of the album at Best Buy (along with an All Dogs Go To Heaven 1 & 2 DVD box 8D), and have been listening to it from time to time.

I'm a real big fan of animated animal movies though. Some of the big ones are The Lion King, Oliver and Company, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Bolt, and like Aoi said, Balto. There is just something about the idea of making animals with human behavior that's interesting to me. I don't think I'll ever go as far as the sexual furry road, but animals with human characteristics is charming to me.

Balls, I probably could say more, but I'm in a rush right now a little. Have to type a whole short story tonight, ^^". Coincidentally, it's about these dogs with human characteristics, go figure, =3.

-Blur

I'm a real big fan of animated animal movies though. Some of the big ones are The Lion King, Oliver and Company, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Bolt, and like Aoi said, Balto. There is just something about the idea of making animals with human behavior that's interesting to me. I don't think I'll ever go as far as the sexual furry road, but animals with human characteristics is charming to me.

Haha, yeah, I get what you're saying here. For some reason I really seem to adore animated movies where animals behave like humans and learn about ethic values. Sure, is nice to see people doing it but I think is much more appealing when animals do it ^-^

Anyway...

I think The Lion King is too overrated. However, , I really like how the story develops and how all the animal characters have an unique personality, just like the variety of personalities in humans.

The first time I saw this movie I was 4. Now I'm almost 19 and I still totally love it. It links with what I have been saying, the way these animals give us the message...it has no comparing.

About Timon & Pumba, I think they certainly added the humour touch, however I think it was kinda abused at some point.

And about the sequels...the second part is a story we have seen several times, a cliché about forbidden love, our families hate eachother, but in the end we stay together. The movie itself was not bad but it wasn't very good either, alotugh the message it gives is very good in my opinon. And the third movie...nope, I totally dislike it :x

I haven't seen this movie in like, eight years. I just remember bits of it, sadly. :C I really need to get a DVD of it or bring out the old VCR one of these days.

Surprisingly, I don't think Mufassa's death phased me too much when I was little. If I were to watch it now, I might shed a little tear on the inside, however. I also think I had a hard time telling Adult Simba apart from his dad. XD

Back when 1/2 came out on DVD, me and my family managed to get to see it (in a theater, nonetheless. They used some kind of DVD projection thingiemobober). I actually thought that was pretty good and funny at the time, especially considering it was a straight to DVD movie.

Edited by gunthetra

...Seriously, why the fucking shit hell did they even put Timon and Pumba in the damned movie in the first place?

Because Timon is awesome, the chemistry between the duo works and they figured they needed someone actually interesting in the good guys side of the film to save the film from being completely bogged down by the piece of dead wood they call Simba.

Srsly, all the Timon/Pumbaa spin-offs are the best thing to come out of the franchise: the cartoon series was great and 1 1/2 is the best film of the series and downright fantastic. Shame that every single Timon plush and the official Timon suit you see at Disneyworld etc looks like a fully stoned druggie.

Edited by Flint