Awoo.

Reviews Thread

Barry the Nomad

Is this really a bad thing, we only wanna hear the voices. Besides between this, Colors, and Sonic 4, something had to get the short end of the stick.

Yes, but i LOVED cutscenes in the first two riders games, especially CG ones. It's not enough for me to get these parodies of cutscenes only. If there was JUST one CG opening, it'd be so great.. The gameplay is a bit more important than the story and CG scenes, but i'm pretty disappointed.

Guess thats an alright score considering. hopefully more sequals of the riders series will have controller and kinect options and be multiplatform.
That's what i'm hoping for too.

Art no offence but you get really emotionally invested waaay too much into the little things.

I may get a bit too emotional, but i don't think the lack of CG and in-game cutscenes is not "little things". It's important for me whether they are in ANY Sonic game or not, that's why i'm so disappointed.

Edited by ArtFenix

This is a sign that Sega's improving guys, a Sonic game with a decent score even with a short development time; not too shabby.

Wow... and I thought I'd seen it all. I mean, 7.5 ain't exactly gold, but for a Sonic Riders game, that's pretty damn good. Especially given how frenetic the gameplay seemed, with people complaining how it was exhausting.

AND it's IGN. I can't imagine how well Sonic Colors is going to be received if this relative underdog of a game got such an... er, above average score from the guys who gave Sonic Unleashed a worse score than Sonic 2006.

• Thumbs Up 2

Got to hear Vector's and Knuckles voices more clearly as well as more Tails clips. I'm content.

I've been warming up slowly to this game, only because it looks like the only fun game out of a bunch of shabby launch titles. That's why Sega jumped on. I wonder if IGN is rating this in relation to the other launch games. But I find it hilarious that all the YouTube comments are accusing them of taking Microsoft's money for this score.

I've been warming up slowly to this game, only because it looks like the only fun game out of a bunch of shabby launch titles. That's why Sega jumped on. I wonder if IGN is rating this in relation to the other launch games. But I find it hilarious that all the YouTube comments are accusing them of taking Microsoft's money for this score.

The review sounded rather positive. It's nice to see, however I guess we should wait till we get more reviews...

I'm not too bothered by the static cutscenes; the story seems to be rather shallow and the cutscenes seems to be just dialogs with no action, so I don't think fully animated cutscenes are needed.

Granted, I would have preferred a full story with lots of action, development and humor, but when the game was first announced I thought there would be no story at all; it's better than nothing.

Nice. The game seems like one of the things to get if you want Kinect. Vector sounds like his Heroes VA, and Knuckles...sounds kinda like Travis Willingham. Nice. :lol:

Written review is up

Looks like it was IGN U.S. that reviewed it.

The basic plot for Sonic Free Riders goes something like: "Sonic and pals are straight chilling, but then the Babylon Rogues, a group of wack birds, start steppin' and Sonic has to utilize the power of Extreme Gear (a hoverboard) to teach those fools some respect." Somewhere along the way Dr. Eggman shows up and the Chaos Emeralds play in to the mix somehow, but the game is mostly just about this organized hoverboard competition. Disappointingly, the cutscenes are all talking head conversations. However, all of it is voice acted by a brand new cast. There are some key changes with this, as Tails finally sounds like a boy, and Jet manages to sound more annoying than ever (which I guess is fine because he's a jerk).

Chaos Emeralds are in the story.

Just watched the video review. Metal Sonic's icon is literally a recolour of Sonic's one. Lazy lol.

16 tracks:

Each of the 16 tracks has numerous shortcuts and secrets, so there are multiple strategies to perfect. They're all well designed, they feel unique, and they're all large and vibrant. There's a lot going on onscreen, from dolphins jumping over the track to temples collapsing, and the game runs beautifully without any slowdown.

No slowdown? SEGA have improved since Unleashed :D

No slowdown? SEGA have improved since Unleashed :D

Because the graphics in this game are demanding enough for slowdown to be expected, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Because the graphics in this game are demanding enough for slowdown to be expected, right?

Oh god yes.

Unleashed had so much shit going on at all times, that the engine just collapsed.

This is especially true in Adabat, where each leaf in the jungle was individually rendered in real-time (or something like that), which just fucked the framerate over completely.

This looks pretty, but doesn't have nearly as much stuff going on, on screen.

I know the graphics aren't as high quality as Unleashed, but what I was really referring to was all of the stuff that's on screen, combined with all of the boosting, which is something else that slowed down Unleashed.

More about story mode:

Free Riders' story mode is broken up in a variety of missions. Each team has their own set of missions, though they're all very similar to each other. They're sort of extended tutorials. Players learn the various skills the rider has before building up to full races. It's broken up in a way that works for this game. Instead of just doing race after race I got to do more specific challenges between them, like collecting rings, or using the special moves.