Awoo.

Wii or DS for Sonic Colors?

Vulpine

Wii version. I won't even be getting it the day it comes out. I have to wait a while because I don't have the money, but when I get it I'm running to the closest Gamestop and buying it.

I'm still not sure about the DS version. I played the demo at the skating event, and it really comes of as Sonic Rush without tricks (I loved the tricks T___T) and powers. Not as appealing as the Wii version...

Preordered the Wii version from Argos this week. I'm looking forward to both versions but I think I'll wait til Chirstmas or til the price drops a bit for the DS version.

I'll be going for the Wii version day one. Not to say that the DS version looks bad, but I've grown tired of the Rush styled games.

Gotta be the Wii version. Who knows though? This might end up being the first game I get both versions of, given that the DS one is different.

I've got it on pre-order from GAME- with any luck, they'll have it to me on Thursday. They usually deliver a bit early, even if the prices are a tad high...

Colours isn't the sequel to anything.

You sure???

I'm sure I can remember it getting mentioned not long after the game was announced....

You sure???

I'm sure I can remember it getting mentioned not long after the game was announced....

It was theorised by the fans cause spiritually it is Unleashed 2 on Wii and Rush 3 on DS, but it's actually its own thing.

It was theorised by the fans cause spiritually it is Unleashed 2 on Wii and Rush 3 on DS, but it's actually its own thing.

You have to admit it feels about as close to a sequel as you can get though. I mean it obviously builds off of the day time SU stages, it has Ergo, Tails has his Miles Electric thing. Then there is the fact that it is the next main Sonic game, literally making it a sequel. :P (I know that's not how you meant it.)

You have to admit it feels about as close to a sequel as you can get though. I mean it obviously builds off of the day time SU stages, it has Ergo, Tails has his Miles Electric thing. Then there is the fact that it is the next main Sonic game, literally making it a sequel. :P (I know that's not how you meant it.)

Pretty much, yeah. It's not like we're gonna have the Werehog back for SU2 anytime soon.

Edited by Blue Blood

The Wii version is probably the one I'm going to see about purchasing when I have the extra money to spend on it, but I'll be renting both of them to try first (thank God for GameFly).

Nintendo DS for me. Already pre-ordered. :)

There is a Nintendo Wii in the house but it isn't mine and so it wouldn't feel right buying a copy for myself to play on it.

Not only that, but I'm a huge fan of Sonic Rush. Moreso than Sonic Unleashed.

• 4 weeks later...

MrBump.gif

Okay guys, now that the game has been out a good couple of weeks which version do you prefer? The Wii or the DS? Both have their strengths- the fantastic visuals on Wii and proper Sonic-style platforming on DS -and both have their weaknesses- it's terribly short no matter the platform. I think I might actually prefer the DS version. As far as gameplay goes all the acts and missions are fun, the bosses aren't total rehashes of each other, the special stages look and play great and on the whole it's a very solid improvement on the Rush formula. The Wii gameplay on the other hand is like... kind of dull? I dunno. It's a huge improvement over Unleashed Wii but such a massive step back from Unleashed HD. It's good, but not as good as the DS one. On the upside it has Super Sonic and those fantastic cutscenes. And Starlight Carnival. It's the worst stage on both versions, but it really is absolute pants on on the DS one. Bloody hideous (especially act 1) whereas on the Wii version it's absolute eye sex. The Wii one also has the better OM NOM NOM Wisp. Void is cool but controls absolutely horribly.

So, which do all you guys prefer?

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I prefer the DS version. While I don't think the boost boost boost formula is the way to go for Sonic, at least I'm having more fun with it than with the Wii version, which is rather bland.

Also I think I'm more at ease with the flat and dull script of the DS version, rather than the script of the Wii version which is funny sometimes but too often cringe-worthy. Plus I like having a cutscene *before* the first level, so that I know what I'm doing there.

Graphically, the DS version is not that great though, while the Wii version may be one of the prettiest games on that console.

I like em both, I really can't decide on this one compare to Unleashed.

NINTENDO WII VERSION

-The Wii got lots of stuff going on in the stage, its not all static, its like a REAL amusement park even tho they contain friendly Eggpawn that will try to kill you on the background environment.

-The handling is an improvement of Unleashed tho I had some troubles in the beggining cause I was confusing boost =/= shake the wiimote and double A for homming attack but after a good gaming time it was really enjoyble.

-The massive environment is sublime and colorful without it being epileptic.

-1 or 2 bosses were a bit disapointing cause they were too easy or I practiced a bit too much before fighting them but they were still original.

-Motorbug FTW.

SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE SUPER SONIC IN ALL STAGE

------------

NINTENDO DS VERSION

-On the DS side... my one and only complain... is the lack of the trick moves when taking the springs and ground propellers they were awesome but oh well, I'll live with it.

-Is it just me? or was the LAZAAAAAAAR Wisp controlled far better then on the Wii? Maybe it was because of the lack of 3D depth so it was just up-down targeting but anyway the wisps were far easier to control then on the Wii wich made the power-ups more fun to use.

-I found that the midi version of the Wii BGM are more catchy since Aquarium Park is my favorite.

-Seeing plenty of cameo characters in the game was a nice touch and I liked it. I mean its an amusement park made by Eggman it shoulnd be wierd that Sonic would bump on a few nostalgic faces from place to place, cmon.

After collecting all emeralds, fighting the Nega Mother Wisp as Super Sonic in space was the BOOOOMB

Last but not least:

-Thanks SEGA for showing me how to use and practice each wisp before using them on an actual stage, your friend, Unholy.

So um yeah when i'm at home I play the Wii version and once I put a step outside, the DS version is in my hands. Before sleeping I play the DS, after work I play the Wii. It's really 6 hours Wii/DS everyday.:lol:

Edited by Unholy Sønic

The Wii one also has the better OM NOM NOM Wisp. Void is cool but controls absolutely horribly.

The Void wisp may well be my favorite one in the franchise. One you figure out how to control the thing (the key is not to oversteer sections, then it handles like a dream) it really is a novel way to blow through shortcuts. Its like the hover wisp on steroids. There is actually one section in Asteroid Coaster where

if you get your Void big enough, fast enough, you can actually absorb that T-Rex skeleton head that chases you throughout the stage. When was that last time we were able to glass one of those 1-hit kill mechinisims?

Coming off of the Frenzy wisp, I'd dare say that the Void is an improvement.

Comparing the two versions.... I don't know. The DS version certainly plays like Rush, but it is not. The lack of a trick system really makes you depend on wisps a bit more and that makes boost a little bit harder to come by. Even that slight reduction in tension gauge has a big impact on gameplay, making wisp usage the key. Its, Rush 3, but then it isnt. Colors Wii brings solid platforming back to the series, and is pure eye candy.

By comparison standards alone, Colors DS doesn't recapture the magic of the original Rush (which is both good and bad). Colors Wii outshines recent endeavors on the consoles, so I think that one gets the nod.

• Thumbs Up 2

The more I play the DS version the less fun I have with it. Single player is the most important part to me, so it's sad that some of the best gimmicks and challenges have been put into missions and VS mode stages. Tropical Resort was a nice opening stage and Asteroid Coaster was cool, but these are the only stages that I enjoyed to replay.

Dimps also seems to get worse at making 2d graphics with every game. The Advance games had some nice backgrounds and some good sense of depth, the Rush games already looked pretty flat, and now this game has dropped much of the contrast (characters<->background). A shame as the unlockable concept art looks really high quality.

I wouldn't call it a bad game. Not with the bosses and the special stages, both were more enoyable than the Wii's counterparts. Wisp intergration was also good (esp. the Rocket). But I think this should have been given more time in the oven & a bigger budget, or should been reworked into a true Sonic Rush 3.

Unfortunately, both games suffer from length issues, alas. Having played through the Nintendo Wii version once, I've no drive to go back and play through it again. As soon as I'd finished watching (and playing with) the end credits, there was almost a sense of "Okay, what's next? Move on?" and not the usual addictive joy I have, rushing back to my favourite zones for one more go. Collecting red rings ranges from tedium to insanity, from what I've seen/heard, too.

The Nintendo DS version suffers the same fate, and is only really saved by the additional side missions featuring different objective types (rather than the Wii version just asking you to speed to the goal). But these objective types are, themselves, rehashed from Sonic Rush Adventure. Not only that, but the hype surrounding the expanded cast of characters proved quite unfounded when they each "said" two lines, grunted a couple of times and had absolutely no bearing on the storyline whatsoever.

While they last, they're both brilliant. After you've finished them, however, there's little to keep you going back and that is true of both versions. So I'm going to be forced into saying the DS version is better, simply for having a little bit more variety thrown into the mix and bringing up some fresh faces (if only for several seconds of random shoehorning... no, that isn't as dirty as it sounds).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Collecting red rings ranges from tedium to insanity, from what I've seen/heard, too.

Not true. Collecting red rings is neither tedious nor insane. It's actually easier and more fun than collecting all of Wii Unleashed's items.

On your first story playthrough, you should easily be able to pick up about half of the 180 red rings. Some can only be picked up once you've unlocked all wisps. They're never hidden unfairly but almost predictably once you get into it. Some of the larger levels (eg. Aquarium Park) can be a bit tricky, however. Anyway, they're well worth collecting, not only because of the reward but also because the hunt for them can show you cool places and paths in the levels that you might miss otherwise.

Collecting the rings is piss-easy in the DS version and they're hardest to find in that one. On the Wii one there's a couple of stinkers (AP2, ring 5) but only because the platforming is tough or because you only get one chance per run-through.

the wii version should be better, has more levels, maybe harder, easier controls, ect. blah blah blah. DS stinks, btw. its a cheap piece of plastic. The only good thing about it (the DSI) is flipnote and pictochat. no games are fun with the ds. AVOID THE DS

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 7

Yeah... no. They're totally different games for totally different systems. We don't need your anti-DS fanboy attitude. Lots of us like the system and the game.

SPOILERS

I loved the Wii version, and am currently making my way through the DS version. I'm impressed with how the DS version is more than just a cash-in, but instead has just as much effort put into it as the Wii version. One thing that kind of annoyed me in the Wii version was how Yacker disappeared and then reappeared at the end with no explanation. Is this elaborated on in the DS version? I already know about the final boss so there's no need to hold back on spoilers.

Edited by Icecoldfrieza

I didn't nother getting the Red Rings until I found out about

Super Sonic available in all stages

After that, 3 hours of search and it wasn't that hard.

You just needed to pay attention to your surroundings, mostly in Asteroid Coaster Act 6 (Wii): Right. At. The. Beggining.

Also, use the wisp wisely.