Awoo.

Wii or DS for Sonic Colors?

Vulpine

SPOILERS

I loved the Wii version, and am currently making my way through the DS version. I'm impressed with how the DS version is more than just a cash-in, but instead has just as much effort put into it as the Wii version. One thing that kind of annoyed me in the Wii version was how Yacker disappeared and then reappeared at the end with no explanation. Is this elaborated on in the DS version? I already know about the final boss so there's no need to hold back on spoilers.

It is sort of. It seems like Yacker had gone off to look for his mother. It's almost like the story was written, put it on the DS version and then dumbed it down for the Wii.

Am I the only one who wishes there was some sort of connectivity between both versions?

I mean, it's the first time 'the same game' has come out on both Wii and DS (save for Superstars Tennis and All-Stars Racing), after all. Would have been nice, even if it was just a small unlockable something you'd get for linking both versions.

Am I the only one who wishes there was some sort of connectivity between both versions?

I mean, it's the first time 'the same game' has come out on both Wii and DS (save for Superstars Tennis and All-Stars Racing), after all. Would have been nice, even if it was just a small unlockable something you'd get for linking both versions.

The ability to unlock one of the version exclusive Wisps from the other game, to play a couple of the Sonic Simlulator stages on the DS or a couple of the DS stages on Wii would have been great.

if you liked Sonic Rush/Unleashed day time stages, get Sonic Colors for the DS.

if you liked Sonic 1,2,3,knuckles,sonic 3&k then Get Sonic Colors for The Wii.

Sonic Colors Wii has speed,platforming and explorations more like the classics (specially sonic 3&1).

Sonic colors DS Has thrilling speed and High Speed wisps but not much platforming at all like unleashed day time stages and sonic rush/rush adventure.

so it all depends if you prefer rush or the classics styled games.

both have an equal length, i don't think the games has length issues.

RPG/JRPG Games are the ones are suppose to take a month, Platformers shouldn't take a long.

Colors on Wii :

takes 5 hours to complete the main story line, it takes 2 days to unlock every thing.

Finally after that, you could speed run through each stage and that is a lot of fun, because their is a lot of multiple paths in each levels.

and it has also a Nice surprise by collecting all red rings that i won't spoil it for you, but you will love it if you are a fan of the genesis sonic games.

'Got Colors DS thinking I wouldn't be getting the Wii anytime soon, then, low and behold, a week later I randomly got that Wii, and Colors.

So yeah, I have both.

Not true. Collecting red rings is neither tedious nor insane. It's actually easier and more fun than collecting all of Wii Unleashed's items.

On your first story playthrough, you should easily be able to pick up about half of the 180 red rings. Some can only be picked up once you've unlocked all wisps. They're never hidden unfairly but almost predictably once you get into it. Some of the larger levels (eg. Aquarium Park) can be a bit tricky, however. Anyway, they're well worth collecting, not only because of the reward but also because the hunt for them can show you cool places and paths in the levels that you might miss otherwise.

I agree. Rather like finding all the star coins in New Super Mario Bros, it's fun searching rather than tedious searching.

Aquarium Park is diabolical, though.

I still don't get whats so difficult in searching the red rings in aquaruim park...

Is it because its the first huge water AND ground stage we ever played or what?

Yes the water area is large and yes the ground/aerial is also vast but its not that hard to find them once you search carefully... oh well...

I still don't get whats so difficult in searching the red rings in aquaruim park...

Is it because its the first huge water AND ground stage we ever played or what?

Yes the water area is large and yes the ground/aerial is also vast but its not that hard to find them once you search carefully... oh well...

Well, now that you mention it, Unholy Soenic, nothing is hard to find when you know where to look, but Aquatic Park is the level where you're most likely to have no clue whatsoever where you've failed to search.

If you, Unholy Soenic, didn't have a hard time finding the rings and never had to resort to online help, then clearly you're one of the lucky ones. Hurrah for you, Unholy Soenic.

(I'm sorry, your username is just really funny to those of us who know how to pronounce scandinavian letters.)

I got all the red rings by myself as well. Can I get a hurrah too? :unsure:

Edit: Nah but with all jokes aside, the red rings in aquarium park did take me the most effort in finding them. Especially that one in aquarium park act 6

Edited by Jaouad

I had pre-ordered the Wii version, but since I still don't have a Wii, I changed my order to the DS version. It's an O-Kaaayy game so far-- but I will be buying the Wii version soon to get the total experience.

Well, now that you mention it, Unholy Soenic, nothing is hard to find when you know where to look, but Aquatic Park is the level where you're most likely to have no clue whatsoever where you've failed to search.

If you, Unholy Soenic, didn't have a hard time finding the rings and never had to resort to online help, then clearly you're one of the lucky ones. Hurrah for you, Unholy Soenic.

(I'm sorry, your username is just really funny to those of us who know how to pronounce scandinavian letters.)

Helpful Tip: when your about to fall into a pit or just about to die, restart before dying as restarting a stage doesn't take out any life unlike the previous games.

Unholy Sonic, its just that someone, strangly (unless the system made a mistake), already have the same name as me so I had to use ø instead of o.

No, that's because the board won't allow members to use "Sonic" in their usernames.

Strange... I remember having Sonic available in my name as well as other people using it too until this year...

Oh well, thanks for the info.

By the way speaking of lives, why did was the previous games removes lives when we restart a game?

I mean, in this one, its so easy to get lives, mostly when you abuse of your most easiest stage and S rank it all the time AND get the other life out of the ranking.

Bar SA2 and don't count SatBK+SatSR, the other games weren't that easy to get lots of lives in a single stage.

On top of it all restarting some stages in those games, for example: Mystic Mansion of Sonic Heroes, was a nightmare to do, mostly when you were near the end but because you lost that bonus stage key, you had to restart.

I won't derail from the main subject anymore then this, so i'll stop at that.

• 5 weeks later...

DS version, hands down. Ok sure it's not fantastic by any means, however I'm a huge fan of 2D games, so naturally the DS version wins my vote at being the best :) I like how it's closely similar to the Rush games, which were pretty good themselves, and Colours DS has some great level designs, nice and colourful : )

The Wii version however? God, I had this game with a passion. Had no enjoyment whatsoever out of it- The level designs are boring, the music's absolutely hideous, cutscenes are cheesy, gameplay bores me to death and there seems to be no back light, whether it's a fault with my game I do not know (took my 1st one back because of it, got a replacement and it's just the same). But hey, of course this is just my opinion, I'm by no means a fan of modern games so I'm not the best judge ^^ *is a retro gamer*

Edit: Omg, some people sooo can't accept an opinion, made me laugh so much this morning xDD Haha, love it. Well that's ok, I just got my friends to +rep me again , because I've done nothing wrong and I know it xP

Edited by S o n i c
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

Wii version, no contest. Many more levels, 3D sections, music that isn't awful, Eggman's glorious PA announcements. Only gripe I have is having to hear Sonic's voice. The combination of his voice and arrogance REALLY rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, the DS version isn't BAD. It's just not as good. By a long shot. In my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wii version however? God, I had this game with a passion. Had no enjoyment whatsoever out of it- The level designs are boring, the music's absolutely hideous, cutscenes are cheesy, gameplay bores me to death and there seems to be no back light, whether it's a fault with my game I do not know (took my 1st one back because of it, got a replacement and it's just the same). But hey, of course this is just my opinion, I'm by no means a fan of modern games so I'm not the best judge ^^ *is a retro gamer*

• Thumbs Up 3

DS version, hands down. Ok sure it's not fantastic by any means, however I'm a huge fan of 2D games, so naturally the DS version wins my vote at being the best :) I like how it's closely similar to the Rush games, which were pretty good themselves, and Colours DS has some great level designs, nice and colourful : )

Edited by Blue Blood

the music's absolutely hideous

What?

It's the same music in bother versions.

Anyways, the Wii version was awesome. Fun, quick, huge areas to explore, awesome visuals, and the wisps are super fucking fun.

The DS version is not fun, too quick, more linear, sub-par visuals and horrible models, and the wisps seem out of place. Also without the trick system the Rush style is pretty shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wii version is the best 3D Sonic game to play in this day and age. Not to say that 3D Sonic games before this were bad or objectively worse, but really:

Sonic Adventure has aged fucking horribly. It's a good game, but more than a decade later it's hard to ignore that.

Sonic Heroes is a hit or miss depending on who you talk to. Personally, I hated it because it took an amazing concept and executed it terribly.

Shadow the Hedgehog does quite well making a somewhat enjoyable game out of a fucking terrible concept but overall it ranges from okay to mediocre.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 is the unfinished foundation of what would have been an absolutely amazing game, but I already said the key word; unfinsihed.

Most people will tell you that only half of Sonic Unleashed is good. I really like it because one half is amazing and the other half is basically Shadow the Hedgehog done better. I.E. terribad concept, done quite well.

Colors takes the really good half of Unleashed, tweaks and expands upon it and then adds a gimmick that doesn't feel like a gimmick. Good level design, fantastic soundtrack. It looks and feels.. epic and modern, to say the least.

You'll probably notice that I didn't mention Sonic Adventure 2 because I'm not really sure what to say about it. I can't make the same argument that it's aged horribly, because it definitely feels less 'outdated' that its predecessor, but I personally feel like it's a little too linear and that the original Adventure's level design was stronger.

On the other hand, the DS version of Colors to me feels like a Rush game that's trying really (really) hard to not be a Rush game and ends up being sub-par in comparison to a real Rush game as a result. The audio quality on the DS version is the equivalent of my hot sweaty ass too. Not very nice. I got the DS version of Sonic Colors a good 10 days or so before I got a Wii and said console's version.

Guess which one I beat first. Guess which one I'm just now actually bothering to play beyond the second level.

I will say that the way all the other Sonic characters crop up absolutely fucking randomly in DS is hilarious tho'. I'm pretty much playing through it just for that.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

Guess which one I beat first. Guess which one I'm just now actually bothering to play beyond the second level.

Hmm, you outta know by now that both tittles are slow starters. Both games are kinda bland for the first hour or so until you get a small variety of wisps and the more complex layouts of later stages. How can you have such a negative outlook on the DS variant if you never bothered to push pass the first level?

Most games will look like crap if you never go farther than the training wheel stages with 90% of the game mechanics locked away.

By the time I finished Sweet Mountain Act 1 in the Wii version I was already convinced that I loved the game. By the time I had gotten to Starlight Carnival in the DS version I wasn't impressed. It didn't start getting decent until Planet Wisp and by that time you're basically at the halfway point of the game.

The DS version is an enjoyable experience but as I said before, it's "Rush that tries to hide the fact that it's Rush and isn't as fun as a result". I also cannot excuse the audio quality. It seriously just bugs the hell out of me listening to the horribly compressed MIDI versions of all the Colors tunes.

Edited by Chooch

But yet you think S4 is the best Sonic game that came out since SA2...?

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The DS version is an enjoyable experience but as I said before, it's "Rush that tries to hide the fact that it's Rush and isn't as fun as a result". I also cannot excuse the audio quality. It seriously just bugs the hell out of me listening to the horribly compressed MIDI versions of all the Colors tunes.

Truth be told, I can put up with the music. Most of it's pretty good, Sweet Mountain in particular sounds great. Planet Wisp on the other hand is an abomination. The real stinker as far as sound goes is the sound effects. They've been using these same, awful and indistinct sound effects for ages now and they're really annoying. Everything sounds like static.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

But yet you think S4 is the best Sonic game that came out since SA2...?

Too right I do, it's a damn sight better than the shit what is Sonic Colours Wii (IMO). At least the music's actually catchy and the gameplay's actually fun : ) Sonic Colours Wii however, is the complete opposite, if I say so myself >.< Although the DS version is pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1