Awoo.

Wii or DS for Sonic Colors?

Vulpine

I enjoyed the DS version a lot.

Then I played the Wii version.

The Wii version is imo MUCH better, but the DS version isn't bad too. It seems comparatively half-assed compared to the Wii version (maybe being it's own game may have helped rather than a tie in, I think that's what let it down) and isn't as good as Rush Adventure (though the levels are much bigger and have less bottomless pits, which is nice). It's certainly not as bad as people are saying.

It's just the Wii version just has so much more - more levels, better graphics, better quality music, more wisps, more exploration, more effort.

If anything it was most annoying because Unleashed before it had the exact same ending.

Unleashed had Sonic faint after fighting Dark Gaia, and Chip sent him back to the surface. After the fight, Sonic isn't really in any sort of dying situation unless he's trapped in the Earth when it seals up. He was fine, just tired.

Colors has Sonic being enveloped by a black hole type thing that more than likely WOULD have killed him (possibly by tearing him to shreds, eugh) if it wasn't for the Wisps.

Not really the same.

DS version, hands down. Ok sure it's not fantastic by any means, however I'm a huge fan of 2D games, so naturally the DS version wins my vote at being the best :) I like how it's closely similar to the Rush games, which were pretty good themselves, and Colours DS has some great level designs, nice and colourful : )

The Wii version however? God, I had this game with a passion. Had no enjoyment whatsoever out of it- The level designs are boring, the music's absolutely hideous, cutscenes are cheesy, gameplay bores me to death and there seems to be no back light, whether it's a fault with my game I do not know (took my 1st one back because of it, got a replacement and it's just the same). But hey, of course this is just my opinion, I'm by no means a fan of modern games so I'm not the best judge ^^ *is a retro gamer*

Edit: Omg, some people sooo can't accept an opinion, made me laugh so much this morning xDD Haha, love it. Well that's ok, I just got my friends to +rep me again , because I've done nothing wrong and I know it xP

Your opinion is valid, but your argument makes no sense.

For a start, the music is the same between both the Wii and DS versions- the DS versions are just lower-quality versions of the exact same tunes, scaled down to fit the handheld. How can you call up the Wii version for 'absolutely hideous' music', when the DS version uses an inferior version of the same soundtrack?

Again, level design, cutscenes and gameplay are all down to personal preference, but what on earth do you mean by 'no back light'?

Unleashed had Sonic faint after fighting Dark Gaia, and Chip sent him back to the surface. After the fight, Sonic isn't really in any sort of dying situation unless he's trapped in the Earth when it seals up. He was fine, just tired.

Colors has Sonic being enveloped by a black hole type thing that more than likely WOULD have killed him (possibly by tearing him to shreds, eugh) if it wasn't for the Wisps.

Not really the same.

He would have plummeted into the lava if Chip wasn't jonny-on-the-spot to catch him. That Hedgehog's goose was cooked either way.

Possibly landing in lava but being caught isn't the same thing as being INSIDE a vortex of death and being pulled out.

Thematically, your right. But he is dead either way.

Kinda interesting when you think about it. Tails saves Sonic's bacon. Sonic saves Tails's and then the Wisps come to the Hedgehogs rescue. The entire game was focused on repaying favors and bailing out your buddies...... who says Colors wasn't deep :D

Thematically, your right. But he is dead either way.

It's still like saying a gunshot to the head from a stalker and a knife to your heart from your best friend are the same because you die either way. Different scenarios, different objects, different areas, the only factor they share is the death,

Sonic is left weakened and almost meets his death until his little friends manage to take him back to the surface.

Edited by Blue Blood

Haha, when I saw that cutscene I thought Sonic was dead and that the Wisps would use their color powers to revive him. xD When he woke up , I felt so stupid.

Haha, when I saw that cutscene I thought Sonic was dead and that the Wisps would use their color powers to revive him. xD When he woke up , I felt so stupid.

While that is a good thought, I think it would be too simular to the Chaos Emeralds and how they were used to bring him back to life in 06'.

*Now has an image of Yakker kissing Sonic* :blink:

Yacker doesn't have a mouth, so it would have to be one of the Nega Wisps, or even Tails.

Anyway, I won't hesitate to say that the DS versions special stages are beter than the Sonic Simulator levels. The simulator is crap. Sonic doesn't control right for those levels, and a good deal of the time their layouts are pants..The special stage, while the easiest ever, are still fun to replay.

The Special Stages have great music, as always (except for Sonic 4). Such a shame it didn't appear on the OST - the one DS-exclusive song that mattered.

I agree that I don't quite "get" the Sonic simulator stages. They're fun enough, but most of them seem to be very openly laid out as if they expect you to make your own fun by just messing around with the random pointless bits and pieces on offer. Even in multiplayer this feels somewhat pointless.

A few are good, but nothing compared to Unleashed's far more intricate, challenging and... for lack of a better description, specifically designed unlockable/DLC levels.

But yes the special stage music was awesome. Would have loved a high quality version (am also sad they didn't include that intense ambience music for the loading screen at the start of Terminal Velocity Act 2).

Also damn, not a single extended opening and only about a handful of endings. Far too many fade-outs on this soundtrack. So boring. Tomoya Ohtani makes damn fine final boss themes, but when will he realise that we don't want to hear the thing loop and then fade out during the boring un-built-up part.

Edited by JezMM

I prefer my video game music to have fade-outs. I don't like how Sonic OSTs go about ending songs on an abrupt note and calling that an "ending," the only one I can recall that actually concludes a tune satisfyingly is Metal Harbor. Everything else is "MUSIC MUSIC stop".

Oh I can agree with that. In fact Colours was pretty notorious for it's non fade-outs ending at not just sudden points but outright CUTS with no brief echo of instrumentation (as in, for example, the hover wisp theme, or Sonic Simulator menu).

This is another reason why Secret Rings is one of my fave soundtracks... hardly any fade-outs on that one as far as I remember. Proper endings all around, even if the need to show the looping point in each song meant they ended on slightly lackluster versions of the choruses.

I prefer my video game music to have fade-outs. I don't like how Sonic OSTs go about ending songs on an abrupt note and calling that an "ending," the only one I can recall that actually concludes a tune satisfyingly is Metal Harbor. Everything else is "MUSIC MUSIC stop".

I'm referring to game rips and OST releases. As in when I'm listening to the music while not playing the game.

I do not like the Wii version. I considered selling it back, but the last time I did that I bought the game again. I could see myself saying, "Oh, I MISS Sonic Colors!!" and forking up the money to buy it again. I actually dreamed and obsessed about this game and after spending four days beating it I felt so disappointed. "Best Sonic game in years" and "Better than SA2" were titles given that made absolutely no sense to me.

Wisps were fun, but the level design was outright boring. Starlight Carnival was extremely mediocre and the yellow spring was executed TERRIBLY. You can have platforming, but have platforming that fits into a Sonic game, it should never slow down the game play in a level where the objective is being fast. Nor, I can't be bothered to use the wisps to discover multiple pathways because it comes off as a chore. Also sometimes it's, "Either do it RIGHT or FAIL." That one act in Sweet Mountain was the epitome of this. I went nuts using Rocket and Spikes to get the Red Rings and many times I fell to my demise. Frustration is fine in video games, but this came off as a bother. I have 152, but I don't know if I can get the others.

The music was simply lackluster, granted it's not bad (Secret Rings has awful music), but it's mediocre at best. Planet Wisp (excluding act 3) and Aquarium Park are the only two themes that are some what nice and I still can be bothered to listen to them outside of the game. I have always found "Reach for the Stars" to be a terrible song and I seeing Cash Cash perform it live, made me think even less of it. Then I heard that other ending song and thought my ears were going to bleed. Please... no more synth-pop. I can't see how anyone can say Unleashed's OST is worse than Colors! It's just a ludicrous statement to me! However, these things are merely opinionated and I can respect that.

Also, this AMAZING humor that I had been hearing about was utterly cheesy and lame. "Baldy McNosehair" isn't that funny. Very few things said were actually funny.

Also, the 2P was horrid. I really don't think Sonic can do co-op... but the homage to the old levels was cool. It had Spring Yard Zone and I ADORE Spring Yard Zone.

So in short, I really don't like the Wii version. It made me really consider my love of Sonic. However I then watched a video of JezMM play Unleashed and I remembered how awesome it was! Not to mention I recently played Sonic 2 with a friend and I'm rethinking my negative opinion of Sonic 2. :)

I'd love to try the DS version, I'll burrow from someone.