Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

dancingyacker.gif

shrinkingyacker.gif

(I despise crappy video converters)

I didn't know where else to put this. Also after playing Colors from beginning to end 3 times. I can say without a doubt that I really enjoyed this game (and people complaining that the game is short, remember o=....)

Edited by Jetronic

^ Lol I love how pointless those loading screens are. Well, outside of Wifi connection I guess. They might as well have done away with them for how well optimised the loading was in this game. Bravo for that Sonic Team, incidentally.

Have you noticed that the loading screens don't show up all the time? In actual gameplay they only show up when you're sent a long way back, which gives the impression that the stages are built in chunks and loaded as you go along.

Exactly right. Unleashed did the same. Die far away from the last checkpoint and you'll get a significantly longer load.

Exactly right. Unleashed did the same. Die far away from the last checkpoint and you'll get a significantly longer load.

Yup. It's better to get a slightly longer loading screen when you die than to get the 06 method.

Except Colors does a far worse job at hiding it by putting up invisible barriers at otherwise back-trackable areas. With SU there was at least a legit visible obstacle to prevent back-tracking.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't what you are talking about.

In Colors i don't see Objects popping out of no where (I barley see those)

In Unleashed I See objects popping out of no where Way more.

when i pick a level to start in sonic colors , i wait 3 to 5 seconds to start the level and i don't see objects popping out of no where at all. and when i lose, i can come back to an older place without seeing objects popping out of no where.

Edited by speedduelist
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Except Colors does a far worse job at hiding it by putting up invisible barriers at otherwise back-trackable areas. With SU there was at least a legit visible obstacle to prevent back-tracking.

Not always. There's plenty of areas in Unleashed 360/PS3 (not sure about Wii) where you simply get hit by an invisible wall. Probably not as bad as Colours but it still happens. Funny thing is the number or invisible walls they added in the various updates and DLC packs.

I don't what you are talking about.

In Colors i don't see Objects popping out of no where (I barley see those)

In Unleashed I See objects popping out of no where Way more.

when i pick a level to start in sonic colors , i wait 3 to 5 seconds to start the level and i don't see objects popping out of no where at all. and when i lose, i can come back to an older place without seeing objects popping out of no where.

I don't get what you're trying to say. We're not talking about pop-up here. We're talking about the stages loading in individual parts.

I haven't been playing it, but watching it more or less.

I don't much care for the gameplay and level designs so that is pretty much why I won't be buying this. My main concern was the cutscenes because in this day and age any little shred of "like" I have for Sonic comes down to the character himself.

The cut-scenes are beautifully animated and have a wonderful cartoon feeling to them. I love the orchestrated music to accompany them as well. The voice acting is wonderful as well. All of the characters fit and even Mike Pollock who I originally didn't care too much for, but now with the right direction he fits the role perfectly.

The bad news is that I really REALLY can't stand Roger as Sonic. Like Griffith before him he comes off as a fake, predictable, and flat voice. He brings no life to Sonic in anyway to my ears. He sounds more like hes forcing himself to sound cool. This is really unfortunate because I enjoy all of the other voice cast besides him.

I tell you one thing, had they brought Ryan Drummond back Sega would get a regular sum of my paycheck.

Also, focusing on Sonic & Tails is what this franchise needs.

I just purchased this game and started playing. It's a really beautifully created and fun! I also MUST agree with you that I too HATE Roger as Sonic. His voice is flat and a bit hard on the edges. Ryan's interpretation of Sonic was "cool attitude, but with a smooth heroic voice" Is there a voice option on this game? I like to hear the Japanese actors more. But other than that, I am enjoying this game.

Drummond sounded like a hyped up 5 year old, and while I do think he did a good job, I don't miss him at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryan Drummond is way too over rated. He had the right kind of voice (in Sonic Adventure anyway. In SA2 and Heroes he sounds too high pitched and hyper) but really crap acting.

Edited by sonfan1984

I liked Drummond as much as the rest of them, but Smith runs circles around him. Since the turnaround time seems to be six years, I hope these next six go very slowly.

Drummond couldn't act for shit. Go watch SA1 and SA2 and Heroes cutscenes.

It was actually embarassing how bad he was an actor.

Sometimes I just think people want him back for nostalgia's sake. He ain't coming back, nor should he.

We have a vastly more impressive cast with us now. Once we get a story which isn't the bare minimum, and doesn't have too many childish jokes(I like Colours' humour as much as the next guy, but some jokes just weren't funny), I'm sure it'll bring out the best in the actors.

Now let's be fair, every single voice actor in the Adventure games acted poorly due to basically no direction whatsoever. You can tell that every single person is reading lines off a script and guessing wildly at what their emotion is supposed to be.

Now let's be fair, every single voice actor in the Adventure games acted poorly due to basically no direction whatsoever. You can tell that every single person is reading lines off a script and guessing wildly at what their emotion is supposed to be.

Yeah Tails, Rouge and Kunckles voice actors in SA2 makes it very obvious that they're reading their lines in the script more then acting.

Drummond couldn't act for shit. Go watch SA1 and SA2 and Heroes cutscenes.

It was actually embarrassing how bad he was an actor.

Now I have to disagree here. He was at the top of his game in SA2. However for some reason in Heroes he was always yelling, and even MORE so as Super Sonic.

SA1 was bad on all acting fronts though, the voices themselves weren't all that bad.

No they couldn't act.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

No they couldn't act.

No, that would mean they'd suck on all fronts. Even Deem Bristow didn't feel quite right in SA1, but SA2 made him a fucking legend. And Sonic went from "You're going to crash- ah!" to "You've turned into a BIG time villain, doctor!"

No, that would mean they'd suck on all fronts. Even Deem Bristow didn't feel quite right in SA1, but SA2 made him a fucking legend. And Sonic went from "You're going to crash- ah!" to "You've turned into a BIG time villain, doctor!"

Yes, they improved. But that doesn't mean that poor direction the only/main reason the VAing was so bad. Some of them genuinely were bad actors.

No amount of impossibly good acting direction would make the likes of Keanu Reeves or Ben Affleck good actors.

The same can be said for the majority of the Adventure-era voice actors.

No amount of impossibly good acting direction would make the likes of Keanu Reeves or Ben Affleck good actors.

The same can be said for the majority of the Adventure-era voice actors.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to say, the Wii version looks amazing, especially that carnival level and sweet mountain. The whisps seemed like an awesome idea from the power ups you can earn.

I have to say, the Wii version looks amazing, especially that carnival level and sweet mountain. The whisps seemed like an awesome idea from the power ups you can earn.

Well if you can enjoy Shadow of all games, you'll sure as hell enjoy this. Way more.