Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

IVE GOT ALL 180 RED RINGS! HERE I COME LAST EMERALD!

And so, on the morn of 10th November 2010, the internet stood still, waiting for the mighty Jetronic to bring unto them their reward.

HERE WE COME SUPER SONIC WOOOOOOO

• Thumbs Up 2

And so, on the morn of 10th November 2010, the internet stood still, waiting for the mighty Jetronic to bring unto them their reward.

HERE WE COME SUPER SONIC WOOOOOOO

And to think tomorrow is the relese date for the first region. :lol:

God I love this fanbase.

Just played the game for a few hours. I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone.

This game is fantastic.

For reference, this is coming from a guy who despises SA2, Heroes, Shadow, and 06, while disliking Unleashed and SA1.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, I'm 9 Red Rings from 180. I am getting tired so may sleep soon but I am missing Red Ring 1 & 4 in Planet Wisp Act 6. Any idea where either of those two might be?

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

I SO should have pre-ordered the game. I didn't think it would make a difference since I didn't know it would come early :( You guys are so lucky....

Oh and by the way, are there really any of these "floaty physics" and "difficulty spikes" and "moments of pure frustration" that some reviews claimed? And I honestly want a balanced opinion here with good reasoning.

I FINALLY played it. And all I can say is that they really got it right this time.

The game isn't the best 2D or 3D Sonic game. It is one cohesive experience that mixes everything into one amazing package. The 2D platforming is at times reminescent of the platforming segments of Sonic 1, while others harken back to the Sonic Rush titles. The 3D sections also vary between being on-rails a la Secret Rings, to feeling a lot like the original Sonic Adventure in how open they are.

The controls are tight as hell. Gametrailers don't know what the hell they're talking about, controls have never been better implemented in a Sonic game. And the amount of content is staggaring. I have yet to reach a point in the game where the difficulty spikes, but right now, the game's sorta easy. I'll welcome it with open arms.

My only gripes, again, are some cheesy jokes that mar an otherwise excellent and cleverly written story with great humor, and the shameless reusal of 3 or so bosses over and over again, as well as a final boss that leaves you begging for more. Plus, where the hell is Eggman's speech about how, this time, he ain't playing second banana to some giant monster, or something?

Overall, this is the game Sonic fans have been waiting for. It's what we should have gotten ages ago, and it's the game we deserve. It's a fusion of countless past Sonic games blended with some new concepts, and it's a blast.

Why the hell did it take Sonic Team so long?

Edited by EXshad

Oh and by the way, are there really any of these "floaty physics" and "difficulty spikes" and "moments of pure frustration" that some reviews claimed? And I honestly want a balanced opinion here with good reasoning.

The floaty physics bit is untrue. The only reason it could be floaty is because of the double jump you have, so if you hold A Sonic does the second jump anyway (although it's barely noticeable). Other than that, they're not floaty... they're just right for this title (though Sonic shouldn't be so slidey from a standing jump... imo). As far as difficulty goes, I would agree to some extent, but not completely. See, the last area (before the final boss) is only "hard" because you don't realize what you have to look out for. Looking out for what's ahead (more like behind but w/e) really helps you complete Final Terminal Act 1. Probably the reason they say it's hard is because they don't give you a plentiful amount of rings at the last part of the act so if you get hit once and again before you reach the spot where the rings are you start from the beginning. The act itself is 2 minutes long and there are no checkpoints, which is another reason why it would be considered "hard" but it's definitely not impossible to beat nor impossible to enjoy.

Then there's the final boss which without trying to spoil anything, is mostly luck based because during it the boss some times doesn't use the same weapons all the time and the pattern isn't entirely consistent. However I will say that the boss itself is a lot harder than SMG2 Final Bowser only because the rings on this boss bounce in a weird way thus you miss them and if you got hit you won't get any rings until you hit Eggman again.

Frustration? Yes, it's there, mostly in only like 1 or 2 acts and to me it's always when you're getting Red Rings. If you don't focus on those, you might not have a lot of deaths and less frustration in the long run. (Oh and of course the final boss but that's because of the whole rings issue...)

Edited by smk

The floaty physics bit is untrue. The only reason it could be floaty is because of the double jump you have, so if you hold A Sonic does the second jump anyway (although it's barely noticeable). Other than that, they're not floaty... they're just right for this title (though Sonic shouldn't be so slidey from a standing jump... imo). As far as difficulty goes, I would agree to some extent, but not completely. See, the last area (before the final boss) is only "hard" because you don't realize what you have to look out for. Looking out for what's ahead (more like behind but w/e) really helps you complete Final Terminal Act 1. Probably the reason they say it's hard is because they don't give you a plentiful amount of rings at the last part of the act so if you get hit once and again before you reach the spot where the rings are you start from the beginning. The act itself is 2 minutes long and there are no checkpoints, which is another reason why it would be considered "hard" but it's definitely not impossible to beat nor impossible to enjoy.

Then there's the final boss which without trying to spoil anything, is mostly luck based because during it the boss some times doesn't use the same weapons all the time and the pattern isn't entirely consistent. However I will say that the boss itself is a lot harder than SMG2 Final Bowser only because the rings on this boss bounce in a weird way thus you miss them and if you got hit you won't get any rings until you hit Eggman again.

Frustration? Yes, it's there, mostly in only like 1 or 2 acts and to me it's always when you're getting Red Rings. If you don't focus on those, you might not have a lot of deaths and less frustration in the long run.

Thank you for the reply (and to you too EXShad). I was really wondering about the physics thing. I even put videos of Sonic 3 and Knuckles next to Sonic Colours and the single jump periods were exactly the same. And even if the double jump did feel a tad floaty surely you can just use the stomp to make a rapid descent?

And I don't think the frustration will bother me too much, especially when you said it mainly concerns the Red Rings. It's a bit like the Green Stars of Super Mario Galaxy 2. You only need to get them for 100% completion and they take are pretty dang tough (though most of them I felt were really cheap and were put in places where the camera itself cannot stretch, therefore meaning you had to lucky guess and hope that you nail your jump flawlessly).

Thank you for the reply (and to you too EXShad). I was really wondering about the physics thing. I even put videos of Sonic 3 and Knuckles next to Sonic Colours and the single jump periods were exactly the same. And even if the double jump did feel a tad floaty surely you can just use the stomp to make a rapid descent?

And I don't think the frustration will bother me too much, especially when you said it mainly concerns the Red Rings. It's a bit like the Green Stars of Super Mario Galaxy 2. You only need to get them for 100% completion and they take are pretty dang tough (though most of them I felt were really cheap and were put in places where the camera itself cannot stretch, therefore meaning you had to lucky guess and hope that you nail your jump flawlessly).

No prob.. didn't intend to reply though xD That said, the physics are actually pretty well done. Vastly better than Sonic 4's. They feel like polished Sonic Unleashed HD physics, just not nearly as floaty, as smk said.

I just hope the game keeps being this good, but like I said, I'll welcome a spike in difficulty. It's refreshing that, for once, an entire Sonic game is a joy to play through. This is by far the best main console Sonic game since Adventure. Hell, maybe better (and yes, that's taking into account the console gap).

Edited by EXshad

So, to bring up my concern that never got addressed earlier, this game looks like 80% platforming, 20% speed. Am I just watching the wrong videos, or is the game really that "slow?"

So, to bring up my concern that never got addressed earlier, this game looks like 80% platforming, 20% speed. Am I just watching the wrong videos, or is the game really that "slow?"

I think there is a fair amount of speed as well, it's just that (not to sound cliché or anything) the speed sections go by so fast o.O There is a fair amount of level design there, it's just that they blitz by super fast. And no Sonic game has really been that slow (except for 06 excluding the Mach Speed monstrocities).

So far, there's plenty of speed. There's a lot more platforming than usual for a 3D Sonic game, but I think that just makes the speed feel more...rewarding. Especially when, at times, it almost matches Sonic Unleashed. The tempo really mirrors that of the Genesis titles.

In short, that's a bullshit ratio :D

Some of the later levels don't have a whole lot of speed but it is evenly distributed throughout the game. You'll definitely want to boost when you know it's going to be a straight path with no concern of platforming. There are times though where you will think the path will require no jumping and boost anyway but then you do have to jump to get to the other side and because you're going faster than normal your reaction time isn't on par so you miss the jump because you weren't anticipating it. There are also moments in the game that do require you to move fast with your platforming (like falling platforms) but that aside there's a plentiful amount of both speed and platforming that they blend really well together.

I wouldn't worry about speed not being there, because it definitely is, especially in some acts that require you to boost.

Managed to get both versions of the game today. Spent hours with the Wii version. I simply love this game! It's hands down the best 3D Sonic game I've ever played. Great graphics, great level design, really fun gameplay, outstanding soundtrack, fun story with good humor, a well done script and a great amount of content. So far, this is the best Sonic game I've played since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I really enjoy this game that much. It's not just good, it's great, awsome, outstanding and simply amazing!

Still yet to play the DS version, but I look forward to it as I'm about to give it a go.

Edited by BlueEagle21

Glad to hear. ^^ I must've picked the wrong videos to watch.

All I can say is, you never know until you play it. Video's don't justify the whole game. When you play it, its a totally different feeling then just watching a video.

Its finally time that Sega Team got it right, blending all the right parts from past games, and took out all the bad. With good controls with it. B) Keep it up Sega, and don't loose your touch into Sonic's birthday next year.

If I can say from my experience it's like the older games often where speed is rewarded for playing well.

Just a quick question to those who have played the Wii version of the game. Is there a like sound test, Art Gallery and cutscene section of the game much like Sonic Unleashed did and 06 ? I know the DS version of this in the game when I played the rom but just curious if it's in the Wii version since I got let down by Sonic 4 not having any Soundtest or art gallery I like looking at stuff like that when I was bored heh.

Also I've been playing the DS version of this game for a 2 hours now and it's the most fun I've had with a 2D handheld Sonic game since Sonic Advance 3 it's so much fun too play which is keeping me busy till the Wii release of the game on Friday (yes some of us still go to the shops on release days XDDD)

Just a quick question to those who have played the Wii version of the game. Is there a like sound test, Art Gallery and cutscene section of the game much like Sonic Unleashed did and 06 ?

I've seen a cutscene section in the wii version...not sure about the sound test and art gallery.

No sound test or art gallery but there is a movie theater in the options menu. Leaderboards are there as well.

Hey, just popping in to ask if anyone was reminded of anythng in particular with those numbered balls in the Sonic Simulator? Maybe something from an early version of Sonic 1? Something that would end up as part of one of the most iconic bosses in Sonic history? ;)

No sound test or art gallery but there is a movie theater in the options menu. Leaderboards are there as well.

Aww that sucks I like looking the art gallerys that what I'm doing now on the DS version of the game which has concept art of the Burrotbots/Mole,other badniks,Wisps and levels pretty neat stuff =) shame that the Wii version doesn't have it =|.

Edited by Shaddix

Aww that sucks I like looking the art gallerys that what I'm doing now on the DS version of the game which has concept art of the Burrotbots/Mole,other badniks,Wisps and levels pretty neat stuff =) shame that the Wii version doesn't have it =|.

Is the Sonic Simulator in the Ds version?