Awoo.

The Paper Mario series.

Scorch

I love the Paper Mario series. In my opinion, they're some of the greatest games of all time (and that's coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of RPG games). They all had good graphics, epic storylines (along with some very interesting, memorable characters), good sound/music, and most importantly, the gameplay. At one point, I couldn't have cared less about them. I don't remember whether or not it was the "papery" graphic style that threw me off, or if it was some other reason. Either way, I ended up getting hooked it, mainly in 2007 when I purchased Super Paper Mario.

Paper Mario- This, of course, is the first game in the series (excluding Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, of course, which is also a good game by the way). I didn't play this until 2004, which was three years after the game was released. I first played it through the Project 64 emulator and didn't get very far on it. I only managed to defeat the Goomba King, and get to the cutscene where the Koopa Brothers showed Bowser their "special attack". I didn't play the game any further after that, though. For some reason, which I can't exactly remember, I never played the game again until three years later when I brought it on the Virtual Console. That time, I actually continued playing pass the Prologue chapter and eventually, I ended up completing the game. Ironically, I actually ended up beating this game after the next two, even though I played this one first. My favorite things about this game would have to be the cutscenes and the boss fights. Especially the ones that were considered to be truly tough, like Anti-Guy, Kent C. Koopa, The Master, and Jr. Troopa (sixth fight). I also like how this game had many reused elements from Super Mario RPG.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door: I didn't play this game until about three years ago, when it was released as a "Player's Choice" title. It wasn't until November 2007, however, that I actually beat it (as I had stopped playing for a certain period of time, due to the fact that I got stuck after Chapter 1. Yeah, I sucked at the game back then). I think this game, for the most part, was a major improvement over the first game. The updated graphics, the improved battle system, you name it. I also like how this game had more replay-value than the first one, where you could continue playing the game after it's been beaten. I actually managed to beat this game before the first one, as I already stated.

Super Paper Mario: I first picked this game up in September 2007, and it was the second Wii game I ever brought (with Sonic Wildfire/Secret Rings being the first). When I first saw this game during E3 2006, I thought it was going to a full-fledged platformer (similar to the NES and SNES games) with Paper Mario-style graphics. But then, when I actually played the game, I found that it was a little more than that. I was somewhat disappointed, but I still loved the game, anyway. For some reason, this game gets a lot of hate, with people claiming that it's the worse in the series, just because it wasn't entirely an RPG like the other two (instead, it was a combination of the two). I honestly don't see how it's even possible to be a Mario fan and hate this game, especially if you're one of the people (like myself) who grew up playing the platformers. I'm amazed as to how much hate there is for the game whenever I look at Youtube comments concerning it, and I have YET to see anyone come up with a solid argument as to why it sucks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JezMM

• Scorch

• Sega DogTagz

• ChaosMiles07

Top Posters In This Topic

I havn't actually played them (shocking I know) but I've watched JezMM play them and think they look really fun. I should get round to playing them.

Absoloutely love the Paper Mario games. I don't know if it's the battle system, the mixture of platforming and puzzle style gameplay, or the mere fact that it's Mario and chock-full of fanservice for the series, but the games breathe life into a genre I usually find to be absoloute drivel.

Adore the first two games, but Super Paper Mario was a bit dull. A lot of the levels were just fetch-quests with too many vague solutions to puzzles. It's a good thing the Wiimote is wireless too. I held down the d-pad and went and watched TV for a while to save up the initial money you need in that one chapter where you get enslaved. I like the concept but 10 minutes worth or so is a bit ridiculous.

Super Paper Mario is still a good game... really enjoyed the story and the humour was on top-form as usual. But I haven't had an urge to play it since beating it, whereas the other two games I've probably played through about 5 or so times each minimum.

I'm amazed as to how much hate there is for the game whenever I look at Youtube comments concerning it, and I have YET to see anyone come up with a solid argument as to why it sucks.
The RPG gets in the way of the platforming, and the platforming gets in the way of the RPG. They're kind of opposing genres, trying to force the two together ends up hurting both. The earlier PMs (heck, all the other Mario RPGs, I'd say) worked because they toned down the platforming into just basic transportation and simple puzzles, which let them put their full attention on the RPG part, with the platforming just being a comforting familiarity. SPM sacrifices some of the RPG in favor of platforming, so you get half-fulfilled RPG+half-fulfilled platforming, and it just doesn't work.

Also too many goddamn words. Especially at the very start.

Still, tho', the first two PMs are brilliant, and are among the few RPGs that I play. Great writing, a solid combat system that's more interactive than just menus, and a fair amount of strategy without being overwhelming.

I love the Paper Mario games! Great gameplay, music, and the humor in the game's dialogue was well done. If I had to pick a favorite from the three Paper Mario games, it'd be the first one. Simple storyline mixed with gameplay elements from Super Mario RPG was well done. I thought the art style of the series was pretty cool as well.

Mollfie, you should definitely play the games when you get the chance. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by Kevin

I chose Olympic Games over Super Paper Mario around Christmas 07. I'm beginning to regret my choice. T~T

Edited by Spicylicious

I grabbed Thousand Year Door awhile back; it was an amusing little RPG. I really liked the combat input systems, and crowd interaction was amusing as well. Lots of reading though. Seriously, some of those text walls were ridiculous. (I almost killed Luigi like six times because he wouldn’t shut up).

I think my opinion of that game has been completely obliterated by the original Tales of Symphonia though. Blows Paper Mario out of the water.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I think my opinion of that game has been completely obliterated by the original Tales of Symphonia though. Blows Paper Mario out of the water.
You don't play many RPGs, huh?

Err, I've only played Thousand Year Door, but I found that it dragged a little in the mid point, nothing really made me want to continue with it. Sure the gameplay was sort of fun, but I really, really wasn't feeling the plot or world and just couldn't bring myself to go on.

Props to Nintendo for trying though? It wasn't bad. Just not for me.

You don't play many RPGs, huh?

I play a good few, but it’s not my favorite genre. I just happened to enjoy the way TOS was “set-up” (not-so-much for its sequel, dawn of the new world)

My opinion of Thousand Year Door still matches up well with yours though. It was cool, but there was nothing really there to set it apart as something special. I got my monies worth, but not much beyond that.

I did get bored of those fetch quests you were forced to do where enemies kept respawning every time you went through the thin areas required, mainly in Chapter 4 and 5 (the spooky and desert island themed ones respectively). Very grating. I was hooked on the game storyline-wise the moment it was revealed that behind the 1000 year door was

the spirit of a 1000 year old demon spirit

. And the fact that they did it during a lighthearted quiz show minigame just made the impact even more: "Aha... WAIT WHAT!?" for me. Devious people them Paper Mario making folks.

I like the PM games a lot.

I think it must be the friendly monsters or something.

Mario's world fleshed out, beyond a straight forward platformer, with very few friendly characters... even if it is just a spinoff of the main series ( although a few children really like to think that it's not a spinoff... )

I didn't have many problems with Super Paper Mario, although there are parts that are a drag... Mimi's Mansion, and Outer space come to mind. I still have yet to beat flopsides pit of 100 trials and world...uh... the one with the dark blue door... the one that got destroyed, ya know?

But the best so far has to be Paper Mario 2.

Paper Mario was enjoyable and I saw it through to the end. Originally played it on Emulator, bought it on VC when it came out.

Paper Mario 2 (TYD) was the first one I played, and I must say it's one of the more enjoyable RPGs I've found due to the interactivity and unique ideas such as the background and stage falling and being affected by your moves. I still regularly go back to it for inspiration when designing odd bits here and there.

My personal opinion on Super Paper Mario was that it was awful. It was playable, and it saw me through to the end (although being stupidly easy), but I can't say I ever enjoyed it, and I played it more out of sheer boredom and nothing else to do. So glad I only paid a £5 for it. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with the other Paper Mario's except name and graphic style, so if you've missed it, my personal opinion is you've not missed anything major. I'd suggest renting it, you can finish it in a good 5 hours if you are a half competent gamer.

I grabbed Thousand Year Door awhile back; it was an amusing little RPG. I really liked the combat input systems, and crowd interaction was amusing as well. Lots of reading though. Seriously, some of those text walls were ridiculous. (I almost killed Luigi like six times because he wouldn’t shut up).

I never played Tales of Symphonia, but I want to because I got Tales of Vesperia for Christmas and I like it so far. I like how the battle system is like a fighting game, and I love all the sexual humor and toilet humor. It's almost like an RPG version of Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I never played Paper Mario 1 or 2 either, but I played Super Paper Mario. It was OK, but I'd like to try Paper Mario 1 or 2. Which one should I start off with? I'm thinking of Paper Mario 1 since I've heard mixed things about PM2, some people say it's good and others say it sucks.

I really liked Super Paper Mario. I've never played any of the others though. *BANBANBAN*

The original Paper Mario is the best Mario RPG that I've played, and is also one of my favorite Mario games (along with Super Mario Bros. 3 and Yoshi's Island). I used to rent the shit out of this when I was a kid and couldn't find it in stores. Every time I rented it again, I always find some jerkass had deleted my save file, but I would keep going. Eventually, though, I actually managed to beat the entirety of the game within a five day interval before having to return it. I recently beat it via emulator again, and it's really quite charming.

1. Never played Paper Mario N64 all the way through, but it does seem like a fun little game.

2. I managed to get 100% in Thousand Year Door, and then my memory card died on me. BUT IT'S THE BEST OF THE THREE. Seriously, the dialogue and all other callback jokes are HILARIOUS. Plus, the battle-system is one of a -- well, actually, one of two in a kind, but you get the picture. This game is an always-playable, any-day-of-the-week game for me.

3. SPM was meh compared to TYD. I mean, yeah it seemed kinda corny that Mario and the gang had to chase down "Pure Hearts" and "use the power of love" to defeat the Chaos Heart, but there were some high points (Fracktail, for instance -- one of the best dialogues in the game). Perhaps we'll see more of this universe in the near future?

I've played through and loved the first Paper Mario plenty of times over the years, and I have it downloaded from the Virtual Console as well. I've only played through a bit of the second game, which is a shame because I remember it being even better than the first. I need to pick it up sometime.

Super Mario RPG is still my favorite Mario RPG, though.

I never played Paper Mario 1 or 2 either, but I played Super Paper Mario. It was OK, but I'd like to try Paper Mario 1 or 2. Which one should I start off with? I'm thinking of Paper Mario 1 since I've heard mixed things about PM2, some people say it's good and others say it sucks.

I'd start with the first one. They're both as good as each other, but PM1 is much more consistant with fun-ness. PM2 zips from great highs to lows, although the battle system is more advanced. So... yeah, as good as each other. PM1 is better to play first anyway though of course, since PM2 has a fair few jokes referencing it.

Seriously, some of those text walls were ridiculous. (I almost killed Luigi like six times because he wouldn’t shut up).

You didn't actually HAVE to pick "yes" when he asks if you want to hear his story, you know.

You didn't actually HAVE to pick "yes" when he asks if you want to hear his story, you know.

I thought I would ether

a.) Get something good for acknowledging him

b.) It was information I might need to know to reach hidden stuff later in the game.

For the most part, I was sorely mistaken. Still, Luigi was not the only culprit up for the "shut up-a your face" award.

Yeah, that was nothing compared to the part where Frankie had to say, "I love you!" a hundred times, causing you to have to press the A or B buttons that amount of times, as well.

Eh? The Luigi parts are not only optional but funny, and the I Love You thing was funny because... well at first I was like "...They're not actually going to do this are they?" And then they did. Made me chuckle, and it only takes like 1 minute to scroll through.

I think the funniest scene in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was when

Grodus tried bossing the Shadow Queen at the end of the game.

I also happen to find Grodus' maniacal laughter to be extremely hilarious ("GAAACK ACK ACK ACK ACK!"). To me, it "sounds" as if he's choking. I'm surprised none of the characters acknowledged that.

Edited by Scorch

I really liked the second one (almost got to the end, but I rented it) and I do remember really wanting to play the first one. ( I would always go to a friend's house and only get to play the prologue) But Super Paper Mario didn't impress me at all, and looked quite pointless. I got the Mario and Luigi game for the GBA, and that reminded me of Paper mario. Is it by the same team?

Loved all three.

The Paper Mario games have some of the best stories and dialog in the Mario franchise, if not the best. The series really fleshes out the universe and its characters, and I love it for that.