Sign in to follow this  
Azure

Sonic with charm?

1.Out of all the sonic shows and comics out there which one has the most charm and is most like the games?

I tried reading the archie comics but i found there were too many characters and it was too serious.

2. Is there any sonic manga translated out there?

I hear and seen things about archie and fleetway but I've never once seen anything about a sonic manga.

Sonic X...?

...Well, it has the most similarities with the games, and people hate it.

Though SatAM only has Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik, all else is not from the games, and people love it...

Hmm...

I don't think the archie comics and the show like it are bad. i read a few and enjoyed it but it seems like there is too much action and drama in the series.... I'm not really a big fan of the whole freedom fighters thing. I was hoping for something that's simpler. Kind of like the shorts of sonic and chip in unleashed or i guess the way they act in sonic colors.

Sonic X...?

...Well, it has the most similarities with the games, and people hate it.

Though SatAM only has Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik, all else is not from the games, and people love it...

Hmm...

Reason's why X was bad:

1. X has really bad animation for its time

2. It Flanderized characters lik Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman into what most people see them as now(Though eggman is recovering, greatly).

3. Adding uninteresting human characters with the personality of a brick

4. A plot device that came out of nowhere

5. Making Sonic & Shadow(especially Shadow) god mods who can one shot almost anything, and anyone they go up against.

And this is not even going into the whole 4Kids fiasco. Just because its truer to the games doesn't make it better.

I guess I like the AOSTH the best. maybe because it was batshit insane, and it worked. SATAM while having a good story, was too dark for me to see as Sonic, and seemed to fouces more on Sally than Sonic himself.

Underground was......meh.

And I've listed my opinon on X.

I can't say anything about comics because I've not read enough of the Archie series (though I would like to) to judge, but as far as cartoons go, I find SatAM to be the most charming. I don't know. Maybe it's just because I can tell there was a genuine effort put into it. The characters are all unique in their own right and very complex. It's a kid's show, but it doesn't feel like they just pulled it out of their pants knowing that kids would buy it no matter what they did. It writes in such a way where even as an adult, you can look back and say "This was a really great show," and feel the fond memories of watching it. The other Sonic shows, whilst not bad, tend to have this easily-forgettable nature to them. They're not bad but don't have as much of an impact. Aside from maybe Sonic X, but only because of all the hate it receives.

(But like I suggested earlier, I enjoyed all the Sonic shows and find them all charming in their own unique way)

Sonic OVA has the most charm out of all these cartoons combined, and also contains the most vibes resembling the video games, even though technically the game's universe and the OVA's universe are completely. The badniks, Metal Sonic, the SCD-styled designs, the laid back and smug Sonic that has a tight brotherly bond with Tails, Knuckles being an adventurer and troublemaker, Robotnik being as threatening as ever, the story ever-so-slightly inspired by Sonic CD, and the overall presentation just screams "Sonic", moreso than SatAM, AoSTH, Underground and even Sonic X could do.

Only thing above it in terms of oozing quality and that Sonic charm is that "Man of the Year" short. <3

I prefer, personally Sonic SatAM and Sonic the Comic - for their art quality, dialogue and strong story-telling. StC is based almost exclusively off of the pre-Adventure games with only a few additional original characters (like Shortfuse, Tekno and Grimmer) and Eggman's look being based of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog after 20 or so issues - being focused on Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Amy with Johnny & Porker being retooled versions of the Johnny & Porker from Sonic the Hedgehog 1-to-Knuckles - the little pig and bunny your free from the Badniks.