Awoo.

Unused & Beta Sonic Colors Material

Agent York

Some more things hacked from the Retro guys. Unused springs:

AhzqV.png

Also apparently someone has found a lot of unused Sonic one-liners, including ones that he would use after each boss just for some reason... he didn't... And some unused in-game banter between Sonic and Eggman, and some scrapped things like things Sonic would say during stages but were cut when they decided to not make him talk in stages. Hope to get these soon.

I took a look at the thread and I'm looking foward to hear those dialogues :)

I'm glad the spike springs were cut. Hated the friggin things in Unleashed. Though I wonder what that thing is at the bottom. I do wonder why they cut some of the lines though...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm guessing Sega removed Sonic's in-game dialogue due to people complaining that Sonic should be silent (or at least not talk to himself) during gameplay. Although I wonder why they didn't just go the SatBK route and include them in the game with the option to turn them off...

As for the Sonic vs. Eggman dialogue... kinda hard to tell why that would be cut without actually listening to it. It was probably used in an unused cutscene or something.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realized you said "in-game" banter between Sonic and Eggman, which probably rules out my scraped cutscene theory... Yeah, I'm gonna have to wait and see where that could fit into the game. I'm guessing

the final boss

, but I could be wrong.

Also, anyone have a link to the part of the Retro topic that talks about the dialogue? I've been occasionally dropping in on the Retro topic and do remember seeing the beta springs a while ago, but I don't remember seeing the beta dialogue mentioned at all.

Though I wonder what that thing is at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure that thing is one of the QTE panels from Unleashed (you'd land on them after bouncing off a blue spring and have to press the button displayed on it). Makes sense, considering the blue spring was also apparently cut.

Edited by gamerguy21

Actually, it's a button. You stand on it to activate it. Those were in Unleashed too.

In any case, holy fuck I'm glad they took those bloody spike springs out. Knowing their habits, they probably would've put them above death pits again just to be complete pricks about it.

Actually, it's a button. You stand on it to activate it. Those were in Unleashed too.

Aren't the Unleashed-styled buttons already in the game, though? Not to mention that thing looks pretty much identical to the QTE panels in Unleashed I was talking about:

jumppanel.png

Um, you don't mean "textures", it's the entire stage. And this clear from just playing the game. In many cases there's one big level split into multiple act by goal rings. It's especially obvious in SM1/2, AC1/2 and AP1/4. What you're looking isn't beta content or leftovers.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ We concluded long ago every act takes place on the same map and blocks off the other areas (or at most there are only 1-2 maps per zone that are re-arranged).

Still a cool video though. Ugh I'm so annoyed we never got any 3D underwater areas...

EDIT: Speeded.

Edited by JezMM

Um, you don't mean "textures", it's the entire stage. And this clear from just playing the game. In many cases there's one big level split into multiple act by goal rings. It's especially obvious in SM1/2, AC1/2 and AP1/4. What you're looking isn't beta content or leftovers.

I do realize that, but isn't it weird that Act 2 had its textures in Act 1 but behind the Goal?

I haven't found sweet mountain act 3 or act 4 or act 6, it seems like sweet mountain act 1 and 2 were going to be 1 Large level.

Edited by speedduelist
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

^ We concluded long ago every act takes place on the same map and blocks off the other areas (or at most there are only 1-2 maps per zone that are re-arranged).

Still a cool video though. Ugh I'm so annoyed we never got any 3D underwater areas...

EDIT: Speeded.

You Concluded that some zones uses the same textures as the others, that is correct.

but no one concluded that sweet mountain act 2 was in act 1 but hidden.

I do realize that, but isn't it weird that Act 2 had its textures in Act 1 but behind the Goal?

I haven't found sweet mountain act 3 or act 4 or act 6, it seems like sweet mountain act 1 and 2 were going to be 1 Large level.

You Concluded that some zones uses the same textures as the others, that is correct.

but no one concluded that sweet mountain act 2 was in act 1 but hidden.

Stop saying textures, that's not the right term. The entire level is there. And no, it doesn't seem like the SM 1 and 2 were going to be one full stage. It's easier if they keep the levels altogether like that considering how Colours (and Unleashed on the Wii/PS2 as well) handles different acts.

For the record though, Jez is right. We could all tell that "Sweet Mountain act 2 was in act 1 but hidden" as you put it. We could tell in a lot of levels.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stop saying textures, that's not the right term. The entire level is there. And no, it doesn't seem like the SM 1 and 2 were going to be one full stage. It's easier if they keep the levels altogether like that considering how Colours (and Unleashed on the Wii/PS2 as well) handles different acts.

For the record though, Jez is right. We could all tell that "Sweet Mountain act 2 was in act 1 but hidden" as you put it. We could tell in a lot of levels.

Listen. all what i am saying sweet mountain act 2 Mountain textures and its rails was their after sweet mountain act 1, but the Red capsule prevented the player from entering it.

but the whole mountain textures including the rails were their But hidden behind the Capsule. other levels only modifies internal parts.

Sweet mountain act 1 and 2 might have been 1 stage in my opinion.

Edited by speedduelist
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Listen. all what i am saying sweet mountain act 2 Mountain textures and its rails was their after sweet mountain act 1, but the Red capsule prevented the player from entering it.

but the whole mountain textures including the rails were their But hidden behind the Capsule. other levels only modifies internal parts.

Sweet mountain act 1 and 2 might have been 1 stage in my opinion.

Textures and rails? What? Textures are what are overlayed on models. Look at this picture. No.1 is an untextured model and No.2 is the same model with textures. And by rails, don't tell me you mean the rails you grind on.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nope, I was wrong. I made a quick Google search on it (Pata Bata is a song!? :blink: ) and compared it to the photo you had and to the wasp-badnik. I can confirm that you were right, but it looks like they gave it a redesign for Colors.

The Buzzbomber badnik was present as far back as the E3 build, so no, I don't think anything was "redesigned". Pata-Bata was just flat-out scrapped, apparently.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me EXACTLY where that shot of Pata-Bata came from? Which video, and when does it appear? I've looked through old footage and I don't recall ever seeing it.

Textures and rails? What? Textures are what are overlayed on models. Look at this picture. No.1 is an untextured model and No.2 is the same model with textures. And by rails, don't tell me you mean the rails you grind on.

It seems that ALL of the Objects (call them what you want) Except the Wisps and Boxes in Sweet mountain act 2 are in Sweet mountain act 1.

Even Sweet mountain act 2 Feels like an extended version of act 1 (Like it started where Sweet mountain act 1 left of), which gives me the conclusion that both sweet mountain act 1 and 2 were going to be 1 Large level, seeing that the Whole mountain was their in Act 1 behind the capsule.

And yes i mean rails that you grind on, Almost every Sonic fan calls them that.

Edited by speedduelist
  • Bad Quality Post 3

That's because all the level geometry exists (including rails), and object data is stored separately.

One thing I noticed from the E3 video is that the sound clip for the red rings are different than from the final. At one point, they used the same sound as the 10-rings.

Hey, They uploaded those unused voice clips at Retro

Lol, some clips remind me of the Scout :P

Edited by Vec

Hey, They uploaded those unused voice clips at Retro
Most of these are just corny and/or unnecessary (so I'm kind of glad they were cut), but one is interesting; Eggman saying "they're (presumably the wisps, or his nega wisps) even more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds". Kind of surprising to hear about anything outclassing the emeralds...

Also here's the link.

• Thumbs Up 2