Awoo.

So now that you have played sonic colo(u)rs

Djawed

Has anyone played sonic unleashed after spending all their time on sonic colours the last few days?

Well.. I have and to be honest, I hated it.

I never felt about the game this way before because it was the best thing we had, but after playing colours, I got bored playing it. I mean how do you get bored when so much is happening on screen? Lol I forgot how fastpaced it was and that running/boosting was the only thing you'd be doing most of the time. I just didn't like it. It didn't look cool to me at all and I was just looking at my tv, pressing boost, sidestepping and steering a little bit, thinking to myself. I am not really enjoying this.

My favourite stage cool edge act 1 got boring pretty quick and I switched of my 360 with a rather frustrated feeling after doing eggmanland.

Than I started colors and it all felt good again.

So yeah, anybody else ? :P

Edited by Jwiwo

Has anyone played sonic unleashed after spending all their time on sonic colours the last few days?

Well.. I have and to be honest, I hated it.

I never felt about the game this way before because it was the best thing we had, but after playing colours, I got bored playing it. I mean how do you get bored when so much is happening on screen? Lol I forgot how fastpaced it was and that running/boosting was the only thing you'd be doing most of the time. I just didn't like it. It didn't look cool to me at all and I was just looking at my tv, pressing boost, sidestepping and steering a little bit, thinking to myself. I am not really enjoying this.

My favourite stage cool edge act 1 got boring pretty quick and I switched of my 360 with a rather frustrated feeling after doing eggmanland.

Than I started colors and it all felt good again.

So yeah, anybody else ? :P

I know, but this is not an impression topic. This is about what people think of unleashed, how it felt playing it now after sonic colo(u)rs.

Edited by Jwiwo

The lack of double jump and the different homing attack button made me crazy. D8 I think I need to wait a bit before I try playing it again.

I've kind of covered my opinion of this in my "Wisps In My Unleashed?" topic, lol.

I think colors kind of varies a lot more than unleashed. you have to do tons of things to do to S Rank and their is variety of multiple paths and explorable sections of each stage,

sonic colors just has more actions to do and more focus on platforming and explorations that led to the genesis sonic game to all the praise they had.

Sonic Unleashed day time feels kind of a linear racing game compared with limited actions to do and minimum button mashing (not counting tapping the boost button from the start to the end of each stage).

Colors feels is a Platformer with explorations like the classic titles with lots of things to do and lots paths to explore and get into.

Edited by speedduelist

I think colors kind of varies a lot more than unleashed. you have to do tons of things to do to S Rank and their is variety of multiple paths and explorable sections of each stage,

sonic colors just has more actions to do and more focus on platforming and explorations that led to the genesis sonic game to all the praise they had.

Sonic Unleashed day time feels kind of linear compared.

The alterate paths in colors really differ from each other. You could have 2 playthroughs in the same act not looking like each other at all(especially in aquarium park).

In sonic unleashed an alternate path is just a little shortcut most of the time and one mistake throughout most of the game can be fatal.

My biggest gripe tbh is how sonic unleashed feels so much like a sonic rush in 3d. Fast uncontrollable sonic game. A game where dying in first playthrough even if you gained a lot of skill throughout the game is totally normal. I don't want that to be the gameplay style for the main games.

In sonic colors when I mastered the controls everything just went naturally and most of the deaths were either result of me not paying attention or me not playing good enough, most of the time at least.

Edited by Jwiwo

The lack of double jump and the different homing attack button made me crazy

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest Jordan4K6

In my opinion Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3) is much better because Sonic Colours stage design is more linear compared to Unleashed's and a lot of the time in the 2D sections in Sonic Colours you can't go backwards (invisible barriers) and Sonic Colours just feels more like a spin off than a main series game to me.

Edit:

Neg repped for my opinion? Trolls.

Edited by Jordan4K6
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 4

In my opinion Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3) is much better because Sonic Colours stage design is more linear compared to Unleashed's and a lot of the time in the 2D sections in Sonic Colours you can't go backwards (invisible barriers) and Sonic Colours just feels more like a spin off than a main series game to me.

Edited by Jwiwo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest Jordan4K6

Wait, What? :huh: You can't be serious

I can agree with the invisable walls but going back is only needed when hunting for them red medals.

But what does it make it feel like a spin off exactly? The name? the platform?

Edited by Jordan4K6
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 5

Claiming Colors is more linear than Unleashed is... almost denial of fact, but the perception can be pretty apparent and understandable considering Colors utilizes most out its 2.5D sections instead of 3D. Unleashed is alot more linear though, it doesnt present nearly as many paths and possibilities until the much, much later levels.

I preffer Colors more, Unleashed still feels like a relatively good game but if I'd have to choose one over the other then Colors would be it. It feels like it takes the things that made Unleashed a mostly good game and turns it into something that works with its classic formula of multiple paths, possibilities to choose from and alot more control. Its like a modern-day Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unleashed is way more linear , colors isn't even close..

Unleashed at the most part is always Telling you to 'think or sink'.

to Explain more : sonic unleashed day stages are like you are you always boosting and you are always running,

you are like on a roller coaster worrying about what it would lead you to and worrying about if you won't have much time to react to what ever the Roller coaster surprises you with.

Sonic Colors has Short Cuts Paths. and the game has platforming, the game is Calm, the game doesn't drive you to 'run or die'.

it gives you time to think what path you should chose to finish the stage faster.

'Hmm... where to fire the laser? , do I go under water to Drill and go into the pipes? Do I leave the Drill wisp or i could need it later in the stage?'.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's most telling that getting good ranks in Colors is more a matter of finding secrets than getting to the goal really fast. The time remaining bonus is usually insignificant compared to the points earned using wisps and reaching bonus areas.

I like that. Harkens back to the days of Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, where you could totally just go for the goal as fast as possible, but finding alternate paths and secret areas was so much more rewarding. It's a far cry from the rushed tightrope marathons of Sonic Heroes.

I still love the sense of speed and the graphics/set pieces of it, to this day. Maybe it is a bit shallow,but I like the reacttion-based gameplay.It works well for Sonic IMO. It's comparable to Guitar Heroes where you have you have your favourite Songs played back to you,on hitting the right notes.

However it's unpolished , the flaws become espacially are very appereant in the extra acts. Some Actions like the Light-Dash are too unresponsive at times,You Air-boost right of the stage at times,drifting is flawed,jumping doesn't necesairly feel good,Exploration is encouraged and when you specifically do explore to get Items do it's just akward to move around and aggravating most of the time etc.

I can understand someone thinking Colours is more linear than Unleashed.

A lot of the paths are so tucked away for Wisp users only, it's easy to think there aren't many routes through if you're playing traditionally. You have to embrace the Wisps to get the most out of the levels. Unleashed's routes however are much easier to slip in and out of. It's a millisecond decision "shall I jump to hit that optional rainbow ring or keep going on this grind pole... oh I jumped. Rainbow ring it is."

Whereas Colours you really do have to decide for a second whether you're in the mood for some spikes-based wallclimbing platforming or whether you just wanna blast through and be Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

In sonic colors, an act can feel like a whole different act on second playthrough when taking a different route. For sonic unleashed I cannot remember that *thinks about it deeply&*

No, sonic unleashed is more linear in every possible way for a fact.

It's most telling that getting good ranks in Colors is more a matter of finding secrets than getting to the goal really fast. The time remaining bonus is usually insignificant compared to the points earned using wisps and reaching bonus areas.

I like that. Harkens back to the days of Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, where you could totally just go for the goal as fast as possible, but finding alternate paths and secret areas was so much more rewarding. It's a far cry from the rushed tightrope marathons of Sonic Heroes.

Edited by Jwiwo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unleashed can suck a big floppy donkey dick compared to Colors.

I gotta say, I was not expecting the controls to be as tight as they were by comparison. Sonic is like a cheetah, after a few seconds he's at full speed (bar the boost).

I died a few times, because there were a few things I weren't expecting, like when I trounced a few flying bats and it looked as if they were still in the air. I tried to attack them again, but they were already dead, and I ended up going with them.

No biggie tho. This game is really good so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, I've only played up to Aquarium Park, but my current stance is a bit controversial. Please respect this is my opinion and I'm not forcing it down on anyone.

I've so far had more fun with Unleashed's day stages than with all of Colors so far. Funnily enough, the one stage I played in Aquarium Park WAS quite fun! I love the underwater areas in this game.

I hated the entirety of Starlight Carnival, I consider it mostly filler and automated. As some people have pointed out in their statuses, it isn't even a PLANET. Eggman sure loves false advertising.

However, simply because Colors does not have a leveling system, the werehog, or QTES and is a bit easier to manage since it's slower, I do prefer to play it over Unleashed! Unleashed has this strange learning curve where, if you haven't played it for a long time, it takes a while to really get good at it again. Especially the drifting and QTEs, for me.

But I suck at using the drift in Colors too, though it does seem a lot easier to manage. I know there's a way to do it right, because I accidentally did it once, but most of the time I slide very slowly and it makes the pace of the game get messed up. But I KNOW that you can do it better and faster, since I have.

Maybe it's because I've been using Wiimote+Nunchuck? I'll try either GCN or Classic Controller next time I play. If my impressions change on the matter of Unleashed vs Colors, I'll let you guys know.

Edited by Shade Vortex

I feel the Unleashed is the better game(the PS3 and Xbox version)

Colors just isn't as much fun as unleashed is to me.

I feel the Unleashed is the better game(the PS3 and Xbox version)

Colors just isn't as much fun as unleashed is to me.

Personally I think people like Unleashed better because it looks prettier, because no one mentioned the Wii version of the game being they're favorite :P

After getting a second opinion, I changed my view on the game. While I do still love it to death, the platforming is kinda generic, but it doesn't take away from the experience though, some levels are too short making them feel unneeded, and the camera zooms too far away from Sonic in the 2D sections, this isn't a problem in the more brighter levels, but in levels like Starlight Carnival, and Asteroid Coaster it can be hard to keep an eye on Sonic. Though the last part was also a problem in Unleashed, so I can forgive it. I wouldn't say its the game that restores Sonic to his former glory, but we're definitely in the right track with this direction of gameplay.

Personally I think people like Unleashed better because it looks prettier, because no one mentioned the Wii version of the game being they're favorite :P

Sonic Unleashed needs more platforming (arguably the more intense platforming was isolated to the Werehog stages, but forget those), Sonic Colours needs better platforming.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic Unleashed needs more platforming (arguably the more intense platforming was isolated to the Werehog stages, but forget those), Sonic Colours needs better platforming.

Lol Sonic Unleashed needs better all together...although I'm sure there is a way to combine the best aspects of Unleashed and Colors together, but I don't think it can be done on a Wii Console.

I think the platforming in Colors could use work (nothing perfect) but at least Colors had PLATFORMING...or more less correct platforming and not bullshit filler. Unleashed is not a better game as an over all package....everyone keeps forgetting about the jarring flaws unleashed has....if I recommended either game to anyone else...it be colors first.

Anyway not that Colors is out the way I look forward to Sega next Unleahsed Style installment....gonna be interesting hmmm....

• Thumbs Up 3