Awoo.

So now that you have played sonic colo(u)rs

Djawed

There are literally only three buttons you have to use. 1, 2, and B.

I use the Gamecube controller. I avoid Wiimote whenever possible.

Which sucks for quicksteppping and drifting.

Quickstepping is barely ever a problem since 80% of the time it appears its in purely automated sections where holding forward only results in Sonic going slightly faster.

Also I have no idea how drifting is any worse than it was in Unleashed. In Unleashed it was plain abysmal where drifting too early or too late would fuck up your forward motion with that terribad traction, especially in Empire City. I never got around using it unless I was deliberately running without the boost because it was just that bad. In Colors you can hold the drift to a direction as hard as you can and it works flawlessly, that and you usually don't have a needless amount of speed to worry about when doing it. It's simply there for the sections it should work in and it works on the only way Unleashed would allow you to use it without cocking up. In fact I've once managed to glitch the game and boost myself at the same time while drifting and it still worked.

Edited by Carbo

Quickstepping is barely ever a problem since 80% of the time it appears its in purely automated sections where holding forward only results in Sonic going slightly faster.

This. In fact, even if the section is not automated, Colours' engine does a great job with handling momentum. If you let go of forward for a split second to press right or left, you will still be going at about 95%-99% of the speed you were going at before you released forward because Sonic's forward momentum is large enough to keep him moving. Not to mention that if you're boosting you don't even need to hold forward at all.

Okay, hands on your hearts, did ANYONE beat the Mazuri stage where you have to make dozens of succesful drifts to complete 3 laps in a time limit without dying at least six times due to overshooting or undershooting a drift?

And how many times did you die due to a bad drift in Colors?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

...CAN you die during any drifting sections in Colours? They were all so pointlessly self-contained there was no challenge to them at all unless you were going for an S rank and thus needed to maximise the amount of drift bonus you got throughout them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Okay, hands on your hearts, did ANYONE beat the Mazuri stage where you have to make dozens of succesful drifts to complete 3 laps in a time limit without dying at least six times due to overshooting or undershooting a drift?

You're comparing an optional stage that's purposely hard and risky, with mandatory stages. That's not fair.

...I think the drift sucks in both games, personally.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, as a whole, I like how they did quick-stepping in the on-rails segments, but it felt awkward as hell when you had to move forward yourself and quick-step at the same time. In the future, I hope the quick-step is only relegated to the on-rail areas.

As for the drift, I hope the opposite. I don't wanna see it only limited to being used in these stupidly curved areas where it's the only move available for you to proceed, while you can't use it anywhere else. It should be used in the same way as it was in Sonic Unleashed.

Edited by EXshad

I do have to say it seems a waste that they improved the drift so much yet never actually challenged us with it. All the hated moments in Unleashed would have been fine with Colours' drift.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fun Fact: You can actually beat that level without drifting!!! I did it! I almost failed, but it can be done! Nonetheless it is still stupidly hard. I find it hard to drift in Colors, but maybe I'll try playing with the gamecube controller. It just might change my opinion of the game! Or maybe I'm drifting challenged!

Also, I've never died due to drifting in Colors (because I don't think you can), but when I failed to drift on a turn and decided to just run it out, the camera became quite problematic.

See I like the idea behind Colours' 3D Control scheme. It plays to the whole "momentum" thing because when you're going fast, you generally can't change directions on a dime. The only problem is, Sonic has the turning circle of a car. They should keep the idea that Sonic's turning circle increases in size, depending on speed, but they shouldn't make it so goddamn huge and cumbersome. Also add in an "Auto-drift" feature whereby if you tilt the analogue stick really far then Sonic leans over like he's drifting and turns more sharply.

...CAN you die during any drifting sections in Colours? They were all so pointlessly self-contained there was no challenge to them at all unless you were going for an S rank and thus needed to maximise the amount of drift bonus you got throughout them.

There's one of the Planet Wisp Acts in which I drifted too much and died, so yeah, I guess you can die.

Maybe I just suck at drifting. =(

60 more red rings to go. =D

As for the drift, I hope the opposite. I don't wanna see it only limited to being used in these stupidly curved areas where it's the only move available for you to proceed, while you can't use it anywhere else. It should be used in the same way as it was in Sonic Unleashed.

As long as it doesn't use Unleashed's terribad drift mechanic I'm all for this idea. I was disappointed by Colors' lack of drifting areas when it this time actually became more useful and fun to use.

There's one of the Planet Wisp Acts in which I drifted too much and died, so yeah, I guess you can die.

There are a few spots in the game where over-drifting or under-drifting will get you killed. They are few and far between though, and for the most part even these sections are quite generous with the amount of real estate you get to work with.

Actually, I thought both drifting and quick-stepping were improved in Colors. In Unleashed, when boosting, quick-stepping barely moved you at all, whereas in Colors you actually go a distance in which it would actually be useful. Also, the drift in Unleashed was an absolute nightmare. I S ranked all major stages and played the hell out of them even after that, but I never really figured out how to get the damn thing to do what I wanted. <_<

Personally, I think the only control issue the next game could improve on is making the quick step mapped to shoulder buttons again, and even that didn't bother me too much.

Wow! Interesting. I actually liked Unleashed's drifting more and found Colors drifting to be a nightmare. XD

I've played alot and still can't get the hang of it.

I agree that the Quick Step should be mapped to the shoulder buttons and not the Control Stick.

How many drifting sections in colors actually have an obstacle/pit to avoid?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

How many drifting sections in colors actually have an obstacle/pit to avoid?

TR3, PW1... I dunno. Drifitng in Colours is pants. I prefer the Unleashed HD drifting where it's quite thrilling. The Unleashed Wii and Colours drifting is just... boring.

• Thumbs Up 2

Colors' drift is silly, and I mean that in a good way. It allows you far more guidance over Sonic's lines. Try making an 'S' in Unleashed without getting thrown into a wall or off the level; I don't think it can be done. But with that said, I can see why it's less thrilling-- It's impossible to drift at any decent speeds since the designated sections disable the boost. I mean, if I'm not mistaken, aren't the boost and drift mapped to the same button?

• Thumbs Up 3

Colors' drift is silly, and I mean that in a good way. It allows you far more guidance over Sonic's lines. Try making an 'S' in Unleashed without getting thrown into a wall or off the level; I don't think it can be done. But with that said, I can see why it's less thrilling-- It's impossible to drift at any decent speeds since the designated sections disable the boost. I mean, if I'm not mistaken, aren't the boost and drift mapped to the same button?

They are.

I'd like the next game (preferably on an HD console) to allow us to drift at high speed, but with the control Colors gave us. Unleashed felt thrilling, sure, but the controls were balls.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're comparing an optional stage that's purposely hard and risky, with mandatory stages. That's not fair.

...I think the drift sucks in both games, personally.

Like most of Unleashed drift is a skill that tastes a while to master, but when it does it's oh-so-satisfying. Much like holding B to grab stuff as the Werehog, the intricacies of it were not elaborated on nearly enough in the tutorial messages.

It's been made evidently clear Sonic games that are hard to master are not the general opinion's cup of tea though, so I'm not defending this aspect in the slightest. Riders was disliked for the same reason.

Fuck the drifting. In Colours is more controlled, but its so damn slow. In Unleashed its fast but barely controllable.

Thing is though, Sonic only has the drift because his turning circle is so fucking huge.

They should just make it "Autodrift" where if you try to turn a corner sharply, Sonic automatically goes into his drifting animation, whilst maintaining his speed.

Personally, I think the only control issue the next game could improve on is making the quick step mapped to shoulder buttons again...

This, this, and more of this.

My god, I think the controls are flawless minus this one thing. I find it a hassle to speedily move forward and quick step with only the analog. The shoulder buttons make it so much easier to do. Hell, I don't even need shoulder buttons, I just need a separate one that's not the same as the button to move!

And, now that I've beat the game, which took a whole four days, I still say that I liked Unleashed more. Colors just doesn't hold me the same way Unleashed did. It's a fun game and I'm happy that I bought it (and now I got some medals to collect! I think I have like 119 now...), but Unleashed was just a little more fun.

*reads the above comments about Riders*

Why is the game only great when mastered? Shouldn't a racing game (or any game for that matter) be enjoyable the moment you play it? I still haven't mastered Mario Kart Double Dash after all of these years, but it's still a blast to play. Riders is simply dull from start to finish for me. I can't say to myself, "Well, I'll really like this game once I get better at it!"

Why is the game only great when mastered? Shouldn't a racing game (or any game for that matter) be enjoyable the moment you play it? I still haven't mastered Mario Kart Double Dash after all of these years, but it's still a blast to play. Riders is simply dull from start to finish for me. I can't say to myself, "Well, I'll really like this game once I get better at it!"

The majority of complaints against it were that it was too fiddley and complicated in comparison to most racers. I once attempted to play it at a party with friends, and they didn't know wtf was going on because by the end of the race I was still explaining every little bit of how the game worked to them (of course, the split-screen didn't help). It is not pick-up-and-play at all. The story mode has a pretty steep learning curve too. When I first played it took me several attempts to beat almost every mission involved.

I love Riders though, just to clarify. I'm just recalling what everyone else seemed to think of it.