Awoo.

So now that you have played sonic colo(u)rs

Djawed

Something I really appreciated in Unleashed were the landmarks that you actually went up close to or how you clearly went through different areas in the same level. The clock tower in Rooftop Run, whales in Cool Edge, drawing in ever closer to the temples in Jungle Joyride. And then how you start in a city in Arid Sands but end up in the desert, or how in Cool Edge you go from ice caps to a frozen cave (Unleashed Wii). It was so cool. For the most part in Colours this really doesn't happen. It's not a bad thing that it doesn't happen, just lesser in comparison. So much less. Plus seeing how alive the actual towns were in Unleashed, with people wandering about the levels and the immense amount of detail that was actually close up to the paths Sonic was on just made for a much more satisfying feel. I suppose that last one isn't helped in Colours by the wide, motorway-esque 3D areas.

Yeah, well said. Most of Colours levels just lack that sense of progression. A few exceptions would prolly be the hamburger tower stage in Sweet Mountain and a fair bit of Planet Wisp. I think they could have evaded this had they had fewer but bigger levels, letting us see the whole of each map in one go rather than spliced up with bits barred off and cut out for the act system they did use.

EDIT: Jez, I refuse to watch that video. I've always known you're a dude, but your avatars have always said otherwise and you're supposed to have a girls voice as a result. >=(

I feel pretty. C=

• Thumbs Up 1

Though I still far prefer Colors over Unleashed, you have some very good points here. There were moments where Unleashed had great platforming segments that surpassed what we had in Colors. The problem is that while Unleashed shined when it came to platforming, it didn't have enough of it. If they were to make the next game be as platform heavy as Colors, but keep it as interesting as Unleashed, I think a lot more people would be satisfied.

As it is now, I love Colors because though it's 3D portions were lackluster and the platforming wasn't thrilling (I still found it to be tons of fun), it didn't really do much wrong. I liked the story, I was satisfied with the length of the game, I was satisfied with the replay value, I liked all of the new characters' personalities, and I had fun with almost all of the levels, even the "filler" ones.

Unleashed, on the other hand, shined in some places, but did terribly in others. The werehog, the hubs, Chip, the final boss, etc. There were just so many things wrong with Unleashed that it makes the good parts not nearly as significant. Also, I wasn't at all happy when I found out I had to pay extra money to get the really interesting levels.

Unleashed had good platforming, it just didn't have enough.

That said, I like both directions the games took with the Sonic levels. They're both fun, they're just different kinds of fun, and I love both of them to death.

• Thumbs Up 2

Responding to the Video,there is a section where you get rewarded with scenery in Colors similar to Unleashed's clock tower moment in Sweet Mountain Act 2.

But anyway, anyone else find Sweet Mountain the worst level in the game? Besides personnaly not liking the theme of the levels, it's even worst that the Theme doesn't carry through gameplay,and it's not as memorable as other Levels in the game to me. And the plattforming scetions where you wait on the switches...are just meh.

See, that's the thing. There's like a section where you're "rewarded with scenery" in Colours, compared to just about every level in Unleashed. And what more is that it can happen more than once per level too. Colours even has the gall to show you all this amazing scenery in Starlight Carnival and then once you actually get to play for yourself you're in some lame, grey room.

See, that's the thing. There's like a section where you're "rewarded with scenery" in Colours, compared to just about every level in Unleashed. And what more is that it can happen more than once per level too. Colours even has the gall to show you all this amazing scenery in Starlight Carnival and then once you actually get to play for yourself you're in some lame, grey room.

That was the problem. It was really intricate level design, but it consisted of square blocks, floating above a gorgeous background.

In Unleashed you saw a really epic looking background, then you actually went and did some platforming on the background.

Thing is though, I think it would have been problematic to have so much variety in terms of 3D alternate routes, because it means you have to render a larger level. That would probably cause the framerate to chug a lot. Who knows, maybe they did have some Unleashed-style alternate routes planned for places like Planet Wisp, but then restricted those alternate routes to seperate acts, because otherwise the Wii would probably have died from trying to render all the shit in the level.

I can agree with all the above points, especially the "Unleashed and Colours are both good directions, but fun for different reasons". I just personally prefer Unleashed's direction, so I consider my arguement sucessful since you could understand my reasons Dissident, and I can certainly understand the arguement of "for every amazing thing Unleashed did an awful thing", but then I liked the Werehog (only liked mind you, in comparison to loving the daytime stages) so I didn't find the bad stuff anywhere near as offensive.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can agree with all the above points, especially the "Unleashed and Colours are both good directions, but fun for different reasons". I just personally prefer Unleashed's direction, so I consider my arguement sucessful since you could understand my reasons Dissident, and I can certainly understand the arguement of "for every amazing thing Unleashed did an awful thing", but then I liked the Werehog (only liked mind you, in comparison to loving the daytime stages) so I didn't find the bad stuff anywhere near as offensive.

I have to say, some of your points in that video are rather intriguing and insightful. It also further backs up my conclusion of Unleashed and Colors being, in many ways, ying and yang. While Colors contained more platforming, surreal levels, and balance, Unleashed excelled in its thrill factor in level progression, as well as its more open 3D sections and exotic locations based off real world culture. Neither able to outdue the other, but both provide an experience that is almost the polar opposite in satisfaction.

What Sonic Team really needs to do, and hopefully have in mind for the next game, is learned what worked in both games(not just the types of stages that resulted in Colors, the elements too). Gather insight in both game's flow, and find a consensus to make the next game better. I personally would suggest some insight from a certain other game as well, but that is for another day, and rather off topic in context, so for now just Unleashed and Colors: a combination of the best from both worlds.

and of course, keep the extras in the back corner. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Iam Just about done with Sonic Colors, for the time being, I am on planet Wisp boss, but from what played, seen, and read from the story lines and actual game play, I like it. I really enjoy it, and this is coming from someone who would preferably play the old games from back when i believe Sonic was truly Sonic. But these new games are growing on me, and I hope like Colors, and Sonic 4, they continue their fine work. (P.S. Bring back sonic's way past cool attitude.) not this cocky arrogance he has now.

green2tails

I liked Sonic Colours too. Although that probably doesn't say much considering I'm kinda a big "yes man" anyway. I liked both Sonic Unleashed versions, SatBK, SatSR, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Battle and even Sonic Shuffle. But I do dislike Shadow (the game) and Rivals 1 & 2.

Anyway.....

Some of the things that have been pointed out here are stuff I never really noticed myself. I'd like to think that theirs more positive stuff about the game then negative, like the writing, it's very funny and some Sonic games have tried to be funny before and failed, imo. On the Wii version,

the fact that Eggman is back to being the final boss. Robotnik fans would like that, I certainly do. You don't have to be bored during the end credits, just jump around and smash people’s names. lol Not to mention the fact that you can unlock Super Sonic to play as during the normal levels, like back in the day.

Plus, since the DS version is like Sonic Rush that's a good thing to me too. :)