Awoo.

Watchmen (2009)

Kevin

watchmengalleryteaser2.jpg

In an alternate 1985 America, costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed-up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who is watching the watchmen?

Official Trailer

Release dates:

US: March 6, 2009

UK: March 6, 2009

I'm planning to see this tomorrow, and I'm really excited about this movie! I haven't read the book, but I'd love to give it a read sometime. There's also a motion version of the comic for those interested.

Anyone else planning to see this movie? I'll give my thoughts on the it when I come back from it tomorrow.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Patticus

• Aoi

• Kevin

• Wyde

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY DID I KEEP FORGETTING THE RELEASE DATE?

I'm eventually going to have to go see this, not opening weekend, sadly. I guess it gives me a tiny bit more time to finish up the last few chapters of the novel. :\

Edited by gunthetra

Wyde's Journal. March 6th, 2009:

Have to say brother was quickly drawn into Watchmen after hearing about it before Christmas. So much he bought complete compilation of the comic. Hence had opportunity to read through it myself. Always find something of interest I miss every time I read it. Heard movie being made about it has had good reception. Must investigate further.

Edited by Wyde

Which will be fully integrated into the Watchmen movie exactly as it was in the graphic novel. That will be the version to buy, folks, don't go for any of this separate DVD bullshit.

Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter featurette...

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/watch...hter-featurette

This is actually brilliant.

Saw that about an hour ago actually. To call it epic would be an understatement. And it's funny because I get some of the jokes.

"Friends to the animals". LAWL

Just got back from seeing the midnight showing, =D. And I gotta say, even though I had really no knowledge of the series, I think this remains one of my favorite superhero movies. Hell, I think I like it better than the famous Dark Knight.

I'm not going to say anything about the story since it's 3:33am right now with school happening in less than 5 hours, XD. However, I must say that every character was very interesting, especially Dr. Manhattan. His god like power and thoughts are always so, I don't know, well, interesting is all I can put it. Too me, he's just a very likable character.

I'll comment a little more on it tomorrow. I'm literally drooling now, I gotta get some rest.

-Blur

WHY DID I KEEP FORGETTING THE RELEASE DATE?

Ditto.

I somehow got it into my head it was another couple of weeks. Well...can't go tonight, mate's birthday...tomorrow I'm in the pub all day because of the FA Cup (Coventry!!!)...might be busy Sunday...

...can't even do Orange Wednesday because I'm already bloody busy...

Dammit, I might not get a chance to see this until next week anyway. And I'm going to do my best not to over-criticise it just because of my pre-conceptions.

My friends and I are seeing it on Sunday. It looks really awesome, even though I haven't read any of the graphic novels. I'll be sure to post here again with my thoughts on it. ;)

I just got back from watching the movie. While the movie itself was very good, it had some flaws:

-The background music for certain scenes were very unfitting. For example,

In the opening scene, "Unforgettable" was played. It's supposed to be a happy kind of song, not one that fits a murder scene.

-

It's a shame that some scenes from the comic were cut out. Although the ending was changed, I felt it wasn't too bad. I'd love to see the director's cut of the film when it comes out.

-

I felt they focused a little too much on the sex scenes. They could of used the dragged out times to give some background story on the characters.

The film has been getting mixed reviews, so it looks like it will come down to a matter of one's own taste.

I saw that earlier. That was epic and hilarious!

Edited by Kevin

-

It's a shame that some scenes from the comic were cut out. Although the ending was changed, I felt it wasn't too bad. I'd love to see the director's cut of the film when it comes out.

Comics aren't movies, it is literally impossible to be 100% faithful to Watchmen and have a good film. Things have to be changed and cut, like the falling watch sequence - that's great in the comic panels, but it'd be simply awful on-screen.

I thought the casting was wonderful, now that I think about it. It seems like they were really those characters; they fit them really well. I also felt like the movie was full even with pieces cut out. With any other thing cut out (besides the sex scene), it would have felt incomplete.

I advertised for this movie heavily at school today, because in my opinion, I actually found this movie more enjoyable than The Dark Knight. (DON'T KILL ME.)

Offically the most, Epic, Funny and disturbing movies of all time. Just got back from seing it and although I don't have much Book knowlege of it apparently it follows the book really well. It has the funniest sex scenes (Just generally because of the music) and the Gore is pumped up a bit, then a bit more, then increased 10 fold.

Just a word of warning, Hope you like your penises blue

:P

Just a word of warning, Hope you like your penises blue

:P

That wasn't even that bad, I actually thought they did that in a tasteful way. I mean they get a close-up or whatever. It was usually at a distance. So yeah.

I like penis.

;)

No surprise, but Christian groups are already shitting themselves about the content of the movie:

MOVIEGUIDE® Protests Rating for
Edited by Kevin

Most of the customers at Movie Tavern (where I work) booed the movie after seeing it.

And here I thought it was gonna be a hit over here. :blink:

Seems to be doing fine with you guys tho.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSawnik

"This kind of content used to be rated X or NC-17," Dr. Baehr added. "The motion picture industry keeps changing its standards. No wonder the MPAA's rating system confuses parents."

The motion picture industry's standards keeps changing because society's standards keep changing, and they are never static. Should we ban any skirt or dress that comes above the ankles too, because society's standards found that unacceptable for a few centuries? It's the same thing.

Christian TV and film lobby groups... can kindly get lost. We don't need them, or their prudish views.

I'm sure all the Christan's and such that are against this movie hate the very idea of Dr. Manhattan, XD. From his god like powers to his smurf dick, he just doesn't seem like the type of character to rub well with religion stiffs. I knew this was going to happen as soon as I was done watching it, XP.

People really need to learn how to loosen their ties, ^^".

-Blur

So the general nerd consensus is that it kicks ass, but the general populace hate it riiight?

and it's a bit a dude movie. Sounds good. I've always been interested in the book, but it's a pain in the ass to obtain graphic novels where I live so I've never read it. Thinking of seeing this movie first, then looking for the com next time I'm in Melbourne

It was released today. Hmm... I might rent this or order it on PPV. I saw a trailer of this movie before The Dark Knight. It looks pretty good. I'm not really much into superhero movies, but I liked what I saw in the trailer.

Oooo, what a good film! I’ll try not to litter the post with spoilers but I was very happy with how closely it stuck to the story… well, until towards the end. Lets just say the ending is ore streamlined than in the comic but still gets to the same ultimate conclusion. Very good though, everyone played their parts well with Nite Owl and Rorschach being the best. I had a fear they would make Nite Owl too young looking but they nailed him. Rorschach too is the best they were ever going to make him. Greatness.

Damn, I really want to see this film, having loved the graphic novel. Probelem is it's an 18. Well I say problem, that just means I can't see it at the cinema, though it does also mean that they didn't tone it down at all, which I think is great.

I'll either wait or try and sneak in, I really want to see how they did Rorschach, he's such a brilliant character.

I'm also curious as to see what they did with the ending...

~SpeedKnux

Heard really good things about this film gonna try and see it with my mate tomorrow that is if he can ge the time off work for it, still if he pulls out i'll go see it anyway. His loss the lazy old sod.

So would people recommend reading the graphic novel first or seeing the movie first? Both look interesting to me but I don't know if I should try to catch the movie or wait until I can read it first. I actually wonder if I even have any friends I could con into seeing it with me, they really aren't into movies like this.

Uh, if you read the graphic novel there'll be symbols from the story you'll understand more easily. Also, if you're a TOTAL newcomer to the plot, you can be overwhelmed and a bit confused, but not too bad. Some of mine and my brother's favorite parts were ripped out of the movie, so there's the downside.

It's pretty interchangeable in my opinion, but I do push you to both at some point in time. They're both really good.