Awoo.

Watchmen (2009)

Kevin

I don’t think you have to read the comic to ‘get’ the film. Sure some bits have been left out but that’s more to do with the side stories and background to the universe the Watchmen is set. The movies ending might even go down better with someone who’s not read the comic. Like I said, it all ends the same but how it gets there is slightly different. The comics version of events are extremely ‘out there’ while the film makes it simpler, quicker anyway, but with the same results.

On, and it deserves its 18 rating. There’s a bit of sex but it’s mostly thanks to some visceral violence. I know it got an R rating in America but what does that mean?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Patticus

• Aoi

• Kevin

• Wyde

Top Posters In This Topic

Rated R: RESTRICTED—Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.

Though I don't know how much they actually enforce it, I've never once had a problem getting in to an R movie without ID/an adult.

The reason that Zack Snyder and co dropped certain sequences is that they simply would not work in film form. Comics, books and films are all different media and all therefore work differently; what goes over well in one media does not necessarily work well in another.

Does Rorschach still butcher the two dogs? I heard they might've changed that to making them eat the guy.

Holy crap, that’s insane. I mean, it’s up to the parents to judge if the film is ok for their kids/teenagers but just the fact that kids could watch this if their parents were with them blows my mind. We’ve got some pretty explicit violence, an attempted rape scene and a sex scene. Two actually. Lovely, just the sort of sort of stuff I wouldn’t want my kids seeing… if I had any.

Yes, the bit with the dogs is still in and exactly like the comic. I read the different version was in an earlier draft of the film script but Rorschach still sees the image of the dogs head split open when shown the Rorschach card and then tells the story. Oddly, it misses the bit where he explains how he got the mask.

Apparently, if the film is a big enough hit (money-wise, I expect), there are plans afoot to release the Full Edition of the film (complete with news stand scenes and correctly placed Black Freighter animation segments) in theatres as a proper theatre release, however the plans so far only extend across America. If it were to do well there however, one could conceive of that going global.

Apparently, if the film is a big enough hit (money-wise, I expect), there are plans afoot to release the Full Edition of the film (complete with news stand scenes and correctly placed Black Freighter animation segments) in theatres as a proper theatre release, however the plans so far only extend across America. If it were to do well there however, one could conceive of that going global.

I've heard about that, and I hope it come true since I certainly wouldn't mind giving the film another watch to catch anything I missed the first time around.

I saw the midnight showing thursday and I have to say I think it was the best comic movie\geek movie to come since a new hope. It just goes to show you that all those years of fans saying it was unfilmable was wrong. I like how most of the lines were ripped right out from the pages of the comic.

I've liked some of the other movies based off Alan Moore's works so I'm definitely going to see Watchmen. I'll probably wait for the Blu-ray release though since I rather dislike theaters. I'm reading the graphic novel in the meantime and it's easily the best graphic novel I've ever read; I can't believe how long I've put off reading it. I just hope the film turns out as good, but from what I'm reading it will be.

Dr. Manhatten has blue balls lolololololololol

But really, good movie. I went with my mom, (neither of us looked up anything on the movie) and I was almost dragged out of the theater once she saw teh smex, let alone The Blue Nude. XD

Edited by Nathan Speed

I've just come back from finishing watching the film about 1 and a half hours ago. Long story short, <3

I personally think the producers did a good job with snipping out parts of the story in a clean and efficient way. I found it slightly saddening that the side stories involving the newsstand and the characters revolving around it, but considering the time constraints I find it forgivable. It's removal didn't leave big gaping holes in the story itself, so I'm quite pleased with that. Besides, it'll get put into the directors cut anyway, right?

Anyways, onto sniping at other people's comments:

-The background music for certain scenes were very unfitting. For example,

In the opening scene, "Unforgettable" was played. It's supposed to be a happy kind of song, not one that fits a murder scene.

I think it was supposed t represent a vague hint as to who was invading the Comedian's household. While it's not explicitly mentioned in the movie from what I remember, Adrian runs a cosmetics line called "Nostalgia", and the music that was playing for it and the rest of the scene (imo) would be typical of such an advert revolving around a cosmetics line appealing to the market through memories of past times, the good ol' days etc. With that in mind I think it was entirely appropriate, Viedt killing foo's with his own advert playing away, but that can always be contested. ^^

-

I felt they focused a little too much on the sex scenes. They could of used the dragged out times to give some background story on the characters.

Having read the graphic novel, and thus knowing what the graphic novel said about the backstories, I can argue it was actually rather close to what was already there. That seemed to be a third of the movie anyway, so I don't reckon I should complain. XD Rorschach and Laurie could have been drawn out a little more I guess, but I can understand that this movie was keen to play up on its action (including sexual action) sequences. The graphic novel sure didn't, so yeah. Compensation is fun sometimes.

http://motionographer.com/theater/yuco-the-watchmen-titles/

These are the best title screens in the history of cinematography. By an absolute bloody mile. There are no actual spoilers, although you will see in several minutes into the film.

I honestly liked them too. Nothing like a nice general summary of the Minutemen's sordid timeline condensed into around 5 minutes, as well as other bits and bobs of interest. However, you link doesn't work, though that's probably because the website took it down. Here's another one.

Also, in the graphic novel, I believe the lyrics of the song playing were used for one of Adrian's "Nostalgia" ads. I'll have to see what more I find. 'Tis fun.

Also, I liked the change to the ending. It made complete sense to me considering the lack of plot elements that were necessary for the original. So yeah, good film. Luv it 4eva.

Edited by Wyde

I found this to be quite interesting...

http://io9.com/5160960/how-911-changed-watchmen

Snyder uses gratuitous violence the whole way through the film yet pulls the punch when it comes to the one scene where violence is the most needed. I understand that the 9/11 comparisons would eventually come, but considering how brave the producers and studios were in making an R-rated comicbook movie, you think they could have pushed through and shown the real consequences of Veidt's plan.

Damn, I really want to see this film, having loved the graphic novel. Problem is it's an 18. When I say problem, that just means I can't see it at the cinema, though it does also mean that they didn't tone it down at all, which I think is great.

~SpeedKnux

Yeah, I'm in the same predicament. I just finished reading the comic, and now my desire to see the movie is overwhelming.

This isn't very related, but this is what the OPPOSITE of Watchmen is.

Edited by Aoi

This isn't very related, but this is what the OPPOSITE of Watchmen is.

D'harhan already linked to that on the first page. It's still epic though, so it certainly deserves multi-linking. Which reminds me:

"Jon can give you cancer and can turn into a car!"

I lol'd.

Edited by Wyde

I know it might be the opposite of what Watchmen is, but I still yearn for a Watchmen animated cartoon as well done as those intro/outro credits sequences. Tongue-in-cheek, with glorious references to the graphic novel greats, every Saturday morning (or weekday after school).

I have deliberately not read through ALL of this topic because I am frightened to read over a spoiler, I have heard this film is great and is 99% accurate to the comics so I am going to go and see it at some point during the week as I think it will be well worth the money to see on the big screen as opposed to wait until the DVD release.

D'harhan already linked to that on the first page.
lol probably should have read the first post.

*edit: damn me and my missing words syndrome.

Edited by Aoi

Don't worry Aoi I kind of have a habit of ignoring a few posts here and there and it comes back to bite me on the ass on occasion! ;)

Motion Comic =/= Awesome fan-made Flash animation. ;)

I know it might be the opposite of what Watchmen is, but I still yearn for a Watchmen animated cartoon as well done as those intro/outro credits sequences. Tongue-in-cheek, with glorious references to the graphic novel greats, every Saturday morning (or weekday after school).

While I couldn't help but laugh at the animation you linked to, I'm not sure if an animated series of that kind would work out, since the last thing of the series to be done is for it to be milked.

But Kevin milking a good thing is what film makers and directors do best. It would not surprise me if this does well that it will get milked for every penny it is worth. Which would be VERY sad indeed as the comics were amazing and I'd hate to see such a good thing go to waste or become rubbish because they over do it.

Motion Comic =/= Awesome fan-made Flash animation. ;)

Take that Wyde! I win. >:0

It seems I've been misread. I said first PAGE. NOT first POST. I was well aware the link was on post #4, so nyeh.

Also, check out my bitchin' Comedian avatar. Gotta lurve that flamethrower.

Edited by Wyde