Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

UPDATE - 1/06/2012 E3 TRAILER WITH RELEASE DATE

[media=]

original post - 06/12/2010

Sorry for the lack of links or anything but I'm on my Wii at the moment

Game Informer today released there latest cover to the front revealing a brand new Tomb Raider game simply called "Tomb Raider". From what I can remember that it will be a origin story of Lara Croft and a reboot to the franchise and that their will be 10 pages of Tomb Raider (2011) information once Subscribers get there copies.

Totally hyped when I saw the image of Lara she looks wayy past real I didn't think it was her at first until I looked at the front cover again XDD. (again sorry for lack of links due to being on Wii Web Browser I'll fix that up once I'm on a PC.

Edited by Shaddix

Let me help you with the links

jan2011_cover_b.jpg

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 6, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix, Inc., is excited today to announce TOMB RAIDER®, the new game from Redwood City based studio Crystal Dynamics®.

'After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive'

Here begins the first adventure for a young and inexperienced Lara Croft in a story which charts the journey of an ordinary woman who finds out just how far she must go in order to stay alive.

"Forget everything you knew about TOMB RAIDER," said Darrell Gallagher, Head of Studio, Crystal Dynamics. "This is an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other."

TOMB RAIDER makes its worldwide debut in the January issue of Game Informer® magazine. The cover story features 10 pages of exclusive content and is available beginning today for subscribers and on newsstands December 11. Follow Game Informer on Twitter @GameInformer.

Follow TOMB RAIDER on Twitter @TombRaider. For more information on TOMB RAIDER please visit www.TombRaider.com.

Edited by Dobkeratops
  • Thumbs Up 2

...OH. this explains SO MUCH. Earlier I made a topic on this, like half a year ago or more, and I thought the concept was scrapped for Tomb Raider Guardian of Light. It seems the concept wasn't scrapped, it was just a different game all-together. Makes sense, the boat crashing and horror-aspects version is whatever this game is.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

Yes. :)

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of dark, gritty reboots (in my opinion, Christian Bale has a lot to answer for, curse him). But anything Tomb Raider is, in my book, a winner and I'll definitely be getting this.

I've yet to play Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Underworld, too. I might see if I can grab a copy, seeing as that was the third in another reboot storyline. Should finish one before starting another!

Also, the third film in the series will be a Jolie-less reboot. Wonder if they'll tie in?

Excited. :)

When things regarding a well-known franchise is followed by "Forget everything you knew about *insert series here*", it usually doesn't end good.

I wonder if they're gonna keep on using the designs behind the horror-based aspects. It's turning out this mature take on Tomb Raider may be necessary for this series, even though I'm not a fan of this horror stuff that's to be included. Isn't that a little bit ridiculous?

Granted, I'm not a huge fan of dark, gritty reboots (in my opinion, Christian Bale has a lot to answer for, curse him).

Edited by Azukara

Hey, although Christian Bale does a WAYYY better Clint Eastwood than Batman, the Nolan Batman series are gold; so stop hatin. :V

And this is what the magazine says, copypasted from GAF.

*information on gory deaths and stuff to that matter*

Edited by Azukara

I think it sounds great, survival titles are fewer these days and this has potential to be something very interesting. If done right that is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Besides the blood and added grit, I think it sounds amazing. Like, this is the next-gen Lara Croft I have been waiting for, by the sound of it.

Though, isn't this like the third time the franchise has been "rebooted"? Eh... I don't like how they're ditching the established character we've come to know and love. I wish this was just a one-time thing. That, or they at least continue the "Lara Croft and..." series, so the original Lara isn't gone for good.

I'm eager to see what comes of this. I just hope some of the tone from the original titles is here, so this game doesn't turn into another DmC, or something..... <_<

Third time it's been rebooted? Legend, the sequel/prequel to Legend (Anniversary) and now this. lol. Thing is, both of those past reboots have been my two favourite TR games. I can only hope the trend continues.

Also fucking hell this looks/sounds AMAZING.

It just sounds like Fallout: Lara Croft Edition to me.

I don't get why they're so determined to make the Tomb Raider franchise so dark, surely with Uncharted being as amazing and successful as it is it'd make them want to improve the traditional style of Tomb Raider gameplay to try and better it? Not just throw in the towel and start from scratch.

I fucking hate drastic change ;_;

I wish this stupid fad of naming a series' newest installment after the original would wear the fuck off.

• Thumbs Up 7

I wish this stupid fad of naming a series' newest installment after the original would wear the fuck off.

Good God, where's a fucking medal when you need it? You'll have to settle for rep+1.

This name, while crappy, would be better:

TRLCR.png

Edited by Blue Blood

I agree and wrote the same thing in the article I wrote for ROH, but whatever. The title is even more confusing since it's not like she's raiding tombs in this title anyways as she's instead surviving on an island. I mean I'm sure you can raid tombs if you want but that doesn't seem to be the focus, so without a subtitle the game is simply Tomb Raider, which doesn't make much sense with the context of this game.

It's funny how the designer mentions you can 'go wherever you want', when I bet in reality you can still only go where the game lets you, until you upgrade your jump and climbing ability sufficiently, at which point the new routes are effectively the next level in a linear progression anyway.

It's funny how the designer mentions you can 'go wherever you want', when I bet in reality you can still only go where the game lets you, until you upgrade your jump and climbing ability sufficiently, at which point the new routes are effectively the next level in a linear progression anyway.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

Perhaps the game, being an origin story, explains how Lara Croft became known as the "Tomb Raider"? Maybe the island will be one giant tomb.... should I wrap that in spoiler tags? :mellow:

Perhaps the game, being an origin story, explains how Lara Croft became known as the "Tomb Raider"? Maybe the island will be one giant tomb.... should I wrap that in spoiler tags? :mellow:

Well it's not an origin story more so a reboot, which while I'm sure will help her grow means it doesn't relate to the other games in the franchise.

Well it's not an origin story more so a reboot, which while I'm sure will help her grow means it doesn't relate to the other games in the franchise.

Yeah, but even so, the name of the game, and franchise, rebooted or otherwise, is called "Tomb Raider". Besides, they said this will essentially be Lara's first adventure, so I think it'd be kinda dumb to ignore that oh-so-inconvenient plot-point.

Edited by EXshad

I know, I was messing around anyways. :P

Sorry, my bad! Didn't mean to get preachy! :)

Though, isn't this like the third time the franchise has been "rebooted"?

Third time it's been rebooted? Legend, the sequel/prequel to Legend (Anniversary) and now this.

Actually, 'tis three, but not those three. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness, back in the days of hype, was considered a reboot as Lara was redesigned to fit more naturally alongside her cinematic counterpart. Of course, it was a car crash and everybody cried (the only game of the franchise I've yet to even play). For a long time, the series went dark, and then the second reboot came along with Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend, which was as the name suggests... legendary.

Contrary to popular belief, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary was not a reboot. It was part of the new trilogy storyline that was concluded in Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Underworld, and started with the aforementioned Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend. The most obvious example of this was the appearance of the newly-designed Natla, having survived the end of Anniversary somehow, in one of the earlier levels of Underworld. I've yet to complete Underworld, and so yet to understand the storyline fully, but ordered a copy for £4.99 last night. Bargain.

The third reboot was the DLC earlier this year, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, although that could be connected to this new videogame somehow. They look to be going along the same path, so whether 2011 is the fourth reboot or merely a continuation of the third, we'll have to wait and see.

I've never played AoD, but Anniversary most definitely was a reboot of some description. It rewrote a few things. GoL on the other hand wasn't. It's a spin-off. Not even a TR game.

Whoa...I just came into the topic and saw a dirty and bruised Lara Croft.

So much for beauty is never tarnished...then again, I've hardly played the Tomb Raider series in my life. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic