Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

Even Conan O'Brien has been subjected to the horror that is the Lara face impalement.

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider

(This video probably is not available in all regions)

Now excuse me while I make a joke just to try and get that image out of my head again.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even Conan O'Brien has been subjected to the horror that is the Lara face impalement.

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider

(This video probably is not available in all regions)

Now excuse me while I make a joke just to try and get that image out of my head again.

I just saw the segment on his show, the crowd reaction was the same as mine when I saw it for the first time.

It's kind of funny how he made the same mistake several times.

It's like the developers WANT you to see that by purposely making it easy to mess up.

Edited by Autosaver

Did anyone catch that part when Conan was playing when Lara said, "I hate tombs?"

Confused-GIF.gif

I mean I get it that the reason they put the line is because "this is Lara before she started tomb raiding so naturally she doesn't like tombs yet".....but it was just silly. Like Conan said, "why are you called Tomb Raider then?!"

Still buying it though =)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Lara at least came from a background of exploration within her family? And she doesn't like tombs or raiding them?... Now I'm wondering how this game is going to develop her in such a way that all of these horrific survival experiences somehow manifest into a consistent desire to continue putting herself in said situations, because that seems kind of stupid on the surface. This game must have one hell of a happy ending, or magical "this fate is yours to bear" element- something- because going through what she's going through would not make me want to go back. :/

• Thumbs Up 6

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Lara at least came from a background of exploration within her family? And she doesn't like tombs or raiding them?... Now I'm wondering how this game is going to develop her in such a way that all of these horrific survival experiences somehow manifest into a consistent desire to continue putting herself in said situations, because that seems kind of stupid on the surface. This game must have one hell of a happy ending, or magical "this fate is yours to bear" element- something- because going through what she's going through would not make me want to go back. :/
Yeah the old Lara had a background of exploration, I don't know if the new Lara has the same background though. She can still have experience and not like tombs, kind of like "I didn't like when dad made me do it but now that he is gone I have to carry the legacy." Still you're right, they really put themselves on a pickle on how they are going to explain that she eventually took on tomb raiding.

The legacy thing would be such a cop-out, unless of course she wasn't already intending on carrying his legacy in the first place regardless of her preferences. After all, she was on a plane somewhere to do something important before her trip went south, was she not? Or maybe she'll just always hate tombs. Without greater context it's difficult to judge, but damn if it's not coming off that this game needs some hell of a finale to trump both her dislike of tombs and the shit that comes with surviving an in enemy-occupied jungle. (My guess is that such an ending will not come because sequel-bait).

Yeah the old Lara had a background of exploration, I don't know if the new Lara has the same background though. She can still have experience and not like tombs, kind of like "I didn't like when dad made me do it but now that he is gone I have to carry the legacy." Still you're right, they really put themselves on a pickle on how they are going to explain that she eventually took on tomb raiding.

Basically this game completely re-writes and recons everything. So all the backstory from Legend where she survived a plane crash as a child has now been retconned. It's a completely new and unrelated story.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, new Lara: has no connections to the previous one, has no exploration experience, doesn't like tombs, goes through hell and near-penetration to survive a plane crash in an occupied jungle, probably has some friends die along the way, yet is undoubtedly going to become the eponymous Tomb Raider anyway? I don't like it, Bob.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 6

So, new Lara: has no connections to the previous one, has no exploration experience, doesn't like tombs, goes through hell and near-penetration to survive a plane crash and an occupied jungle, probably has some friends die along the way, yet is undoubtedly going to become the eponymous Tomb Raider anyway? I don't like it, Bob.

Yep, and that's half of what I don't like. The other half is the darker, 'more mature' nature of the game. It's a shame they've completely forgone original stylings of the series that were intentionally campy. It wasn't as if you couldn't take the games seriously because there were some interesting storylines by way of her mother, Amanda and Natla in the Legend series. Oh well...

Basically this game completely re-writes and recons everything. So all the backstory from Legend where she survived a plane crash as a child has now been retconned. It's a completely new and unrelated story.

Legends nothing. The plane crash and Lara's sole survivor adventure down a mountain is her origin story from way back in the first game. That's why this game also starts with a plane crash in the wilderness. It's mandatory. You take away the plane crash and Lara having to learn to survive in a hostile uncivilised environment on her own, and you may as well take away Batman's parents getting gunned down by a mugger, or Krypton exploding after chucking a baby offworld.

• Thumbs Up 6

The annoying thing is, they could have a much more believable premise by just giving her a love of exploration and tombs and leaving everything else the same. Just make it a "Your dream job is not what you thought it was, and now you'll have to work to maintain it" story, but with more blood and guns.

• Thumbs Up 4

On a more positive note, this is certainly impressive- PC version gets real time hair rendering.

Tomb Raider will feature better hair on PC thanks to AMD's Tressfx Hair technology.

AMD worked with developer Crystal Dynamics to produce "the world's first realtime hair rendering' in a playable game.

gaming-tomb-raider-tressfx-hair-4.jpg

gaming-tomb-raider-tressfx-hair-2.jpg

The technology treats each hair as a chain with dozens of links that can be affected by gravity, wind and rain, as well as the movement of the head.

Hair styles - such as Lara's trademark ponytail - are achieved by "gradually pulling" strands back towards their original shape after they've been moved by one of the outside forces listed above.

"Realistic hair is one of the most complex and challenging materials to accurately reproduce in real-time," read a blog post.

"Convincingly recreating a head of lively hair involves drawing tens of thousands of tiny and individual semi-transparent strands, each of which casts complex shadows and requires anti-aliasing.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

I genuinely didn't think this game was going to live up to the hype. Tomb Raider has always been a series that, in my opinion, has had huge potential and is for the most part enjoyable but never really quite nails it entirely. Legend has been my favourite entry up til this point but it was still marred by technical issues. And I suppose the same can be said here, with even the most positive of reviews listing a few negatives, but for it to be receiving unanimous scores of 8 and 9 is unprecedented. I am seriously impressed, and even tempted to check the game out now. It's nice to see an iconic name like Lara Croft getting thrust back into the spotlight where she belongs.

Also... dayum at dat hair rendering!

Did anyone catch that part when Conan was playing when Lara said, "I hate tombs?"

Confused-GIF.gif

I mean I get it that the reason they put the line is because "this is Lara before she started tomb raiding so naturally she doesn't like tombs yet".....but it was just silly. Like Conan said, "why are you called Tomb Raider then?!"

Confused-GIF.gif

Okay, I'll explain this in the most civil way possible.

She's a fucking anthropologist!

This is a personal pet peeve of mine because it is crazy how people misinterpret an entire field and assume that it's all about treasure hunting based on media. Anthropology and by extension, archaeology, is a study that excavates sites(legally with permission from the country that you are excavating in) thus studying previous civilizations. They don't look forward to studying trapped field tombs and don't love just being at risk at everything that you are completely safe with it. Yes, the field allows for much exploration and adventure, but it is not that exotic and you usually only study one field of civilization. In reality, people who do actual tomb raiding are pretty much pirates of third world civilization history. Think about what you are implying here and why I couldn't fucking stand the previous characterization of the series. Lara Croft, a white woman, raids tombs of foreign countries thus systematically stealing from cultural historic sites and keeps artifacts for herself, sells it to the black market, and/or destroys the previous ancient site in her wake to collect some shiny thing.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

The thing about her dad being in love with adventure just reeks of unfortunate implications in of itself. So to say that her dad raided tombs for a living, got rich off of it, and made it the family motto is something that would make the Crofts something of international criminals. Lara would not be allowed a fucking passport in any country with majority non-white populace let alone anywhere near their treasures or historic sites. At least Nathan Drake and Uncharted acknowledges that yes, you are playing a thief. You are a bad person. Thank you for playing the game and enjoy. So in reality, she would not be looking forward to raiding tombs in a modern world where that act is taken pretty fucking seriously(look up Egypt demanding their artifacts back from the United Kingdom) unless she was willing give up her comfortable life and be forever branded as a criminal. In other words, no one in their right fucking mind who spent years of university being preached about international procedure and customs of the field, taught just how dangerous these tombs are and that yes, pirates will be around and are willing to ruin your shit if you are in their way, and if you so much as remotely tarnish a historic site with a countries permission to excavate there, you will be reprimanded and possible stripped of your position and profession goes and  says, "I love raiding tombs."

So, how much of the Tomb Raider stories do you actually know? Lara loves adventure and danger, and futhermore has very good reasons for all of her tomb raiding.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got a £10 gift card for Curry's and with the price they're listing online at £31.99, then I'll get it for £21.99. Hopefully they'll open click and collect reserving soon, so I can get it for the online price. I'll probably get it on Xbox 360, if only for the upcoming timed exclusive DLC. 

Both console versions look near enough the same.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393289/tomb-raider-ps3-vs-360-gameplay-comparison-video/

I've got a £10 gift card for Curry's and with the price they're listing online at £31.99, then I'll get it for £21.99. Hopefully they'll open click and collect reserving soon, so I can get it for the online price. I'll probably get it on Xbox 360, if only for the upcoming timed exclusive DLC. 

Both console versions look near enough the same.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393289/tomb-raider-ps3-vs-360-gameplay-comparison-video/

I ordered my copy from Amazon for £33.00. Damn you Shadzter! tongue.png

The game really looks great. Only six days until it's release. 5/3 can't come soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would appreciate it if people picking up this game will post their impressions as they play through it. In spoilers tags, naturally. I trust you guys significantly more than I trust serious paid reviewers at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I'll explain this in the most civil way possible.

She's a fucking anthropologist!

This is a personal pet peeve of mine because it is crazy how people misinterpret an entire field and assume that it's all about treasure hunting based on media. Anthropology and by extension, archaeology, is a study that excavates sites(legally with permission from the country that you are excavating in) thus studying previous civilizations. They don't look forward to studying trapped field tombs and don't love just being at risk at everything that you are completely safe with it. Yes, the field allows for much exploration and adventure, but it is not that exotic and you usually only study one field of civilization. In reality, people who do actual tomb raiding are pretty much pirates of third world civilization history. Think about what you are implying here and why I couldn't fucking stand the previous characterization of the series. Lara Croft, a white woman, raids tombs of foreign countries thus systematically stealing from cultural historic sites and keeps artifacts for herself, sells it to the black market, and/or destroys the previous ancient site in her wake to collect some shiny thing.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

The thing about her dad being in love with adventure just reeks of unfortunate implications in of itself. So to say that her dad raided tombs for a living, got rich off of it, and made it the family motto is something that would make the Crofts something of international criminals. Lara would not be allowed a fucking passport in any country with majority non-white populace let alone anywhere near their treasures or historic sites. At least Nathan Drake and Uncharted acknowledges that yes, you are playing a thief. You are a bad person. Thank you for playing the game and enjoy. So in reality, she would not be looking forward to raiding tombs in a modern world where that act is taken pretty fucking seriously(look up Egypt demanding their artifacts back from the United Kingdom) unless she was willing give up her comfortable life and be forever branded as a criminal. In other words, no one in their right fucking mind who spent years of university being preached about international procedure and customs of the field, taught just how dangerous these tombs are and that yes, pirates will be around and are willing to ruin your shit if you are in their way, and if you so much as remotely tarnish a historic site with a countries permission to excavate there, you will be reprimanded and possible stripped of your position and profession goes and  says, "I love raiding tombs."

While I am sure the old and the new Lara have a background on anthropology she is mainly a archaeologist. Sure, here in the U.S. is a branch of anthropology but it is still a completely different beast (and places like Europe it is considered a separate discipline).

Now about the whole tomb raiding business, I believe that is why she was always described as a archaeologist and a treasure hunter, which to my knowledge is not something that is condoned in the modern age. Since I played the original games back in the day the "treasure hunter" title made me realize that "hey she might be a archaeologist but she steals too!"

Now about how the Crofts didn't get labeled as criminals and where able to access countries and expeditions etc etc. Well that's because they/her used their /her fortune and influence to get away with stuff,it helps that Lara has underworld connections too. Plus if I remember correctly Lara does seem to have sort of a bad rep at least with some of the people that try to get her on quests.

Which brings me back to my original point of why the "I hate tombs" was just silly. You have a good point that of course she is not going to say "I love tombs" with everyone around her....except she said that line when there was no one around. That line was intended solely for the player to be like "well she is not like the old Lara" but like people have already said she will become a tomb raider eventually, unless they take her in a completely different location which brings us to the problem of why naming the game Tomb Raider in the first place.