Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

There's little wrong in making a conclusion about a game based on its marketing. That's the entire point: to display the features of an unreleased product so the public can make a determination on whether they'll buy it or not. One has as much right to call a game "cool" based on a trailer as one has the right to be turned off by it. Was some of the marketing misleading? Yes if what turbojet is saying is true, and frankly I think we should all be relieved to some extent as a result that it's not that bad at all. But at the same time, I don't think being turned off to a product by something like a potential rape scene is inherently overreacting or wrong. By throwing something in a trailer, you are inherently saying "this is representative of the product," and subsequently everyone's free to make a value judgement off of the trailer as a result.

This, like fucking seriously this. This is the exact sentiment I feel right now. I haven't seen the final game for myself, but you want to know how I feel about the possibility that this game is not as bad as everything up to this point has tried to make us believe? I'd be really fucking happy if that were to be the case. I don't want this to be as misogynistic as I and others have been led to perceive it, and if this turns out to be a solid game with a solid narrative with a solid female lead then all the more power to it. Good. I'm glad this game apparently hasn't gone down that route.

And telling me that I overreacted is just enough to piss me off. I put a considerable amount of effort into my posts to articulate how the game truly made me feel at the time, while also trying to use everything at our disposal to come to those judgments, considering there was nothing else to focus on. My reactions were genuine and this was something that meant a great fucking deal to me, and that's why I spent so much time arguing for it. If I could go and say something differently back then assuming nothing about what we knew about the game had changed, would I change how I reacted? No, I wouldn't. =/

Frankly I'm about ready to step out of this topic, there's really nothing else I see going on here other than people trying to rile up other people and everyone pushing each others' buttons. I'd love to be able to continue discussing with you guys but the environment here is extremely stressful and this isn't how I want to spend my time discussing these issues. I'm totally all for respecting the other side's arguments as well as those who simply want to enjoy the game, but I really do not enjoy the attitude here that's basically trying to corner us by having us admit we were overreacting.

As much as I think you're cool and all Sean, and I respect the fuck out of you for standing up for your beliefs, that's not the full story here because we AREN'T pointing fingers at just those complaining about it, but also the way it made the genuine people looking forward to the game feel like total and utter shit for actually looking forward to this game when it had such a controversial cloud of judgement looming over it, some of the things YOU and OTHERS said made me feel like some sort of masochist for looking forward to this game, and you clearly let your emotions run high, which is a good thing as I was getting your feelings on the matter exactly how I would if you were talking to my face in front of me, but it's also a BAD thing since some of the things you said in your defence was cripplingly patronizing and felt like you were shoving your opinion as fact down our throats for being bad people who enjoyed what we were seeing to some extent.

I admit I haven't been following this topic from the start, and had no idea about this rape thing, all I seen was some gory death scenes which honestly tingled the gore fan in me, but also struck some emotional nerves seeing Lara traverse such a gruesome scene, but hell I've been a fan from the beginning so this isn't new to me, it's same old with a new HD lick of paint, what got me riled was the whole "Player wanting to protect the innocent girl trope because she's weak and defenceless", which isn't the case because Lara has always been hard as nails and I can honestly see her dominating the brutes in this when she gets her head in the game.

The only thing I don't agree with is the marketing behind the game, has shed it in poor light which they will ultimately suffer for in the long run, just like DmC did.

I think we all need to take a deep breathe and just let bygones be bygones and just start discussion on the game now since it's not as bad as the marketing made it out to be.

Edited by Miss Lightning Bolt
  • Thumbs Up 5

Um...shit?

I was just pointing out something I thought was inconsistent, not antagonize anyone for it...geez.

As much as I think you're cool and all Sean, and I respect the fuck out of you for standing up for your beliefs, that's not the full story here because we AREN'T pointing fingers at just those complaining about it, but also the way it made the genuine people looking forward to the game feel like total and utter shit for actually looking forward to this game when it had such a controversial cloud of judgement looming over it, some of the things YOU and OTHERS said made me feel like some sort of masochist for looking forward to this game, and you clearly let your emotions run high, which is a good thing as I was getting your feelings on the matter exactly how I would if you were talking to my face in front of me, but it's also a BAD thing since some of the things you said in your defence was cripplingly patronizing and felt like you were shoving your opinion as fact down our throats for being bad people who enjoyed what we were seeing to some extent.

I admit I haven't been following this topic from the start, and had no idea about this rape thing, all I seen was some gory death scenes which honestly tingled the gore fan in me, but also struck some emotional nerves seeing Lara traverse such a gruesome scene, but hell I've been a fan from the beginning so this isn't new to me, it's same old with a new HD lick of paint, what got me riled was the whole "Player wanting to protect the innocent girl trope because she's weak and defenceless", which isn't the case because Lara has always been hard as nails and I can honestly see her dominating the brutes in this when she gets her head in the game.

The only thing I don't agree with is the marketing behind the game, has shed it in poor light which they will ultimately suffer for in the long run, just like DmC did.

I think we all need to take a deep breathe and just let bygones be bygones and just start discussion on the game now since it's not as bad as the marketing made it out to be.

Couldn't agree more.

I am betting that the game will sell really well despite the marketing. Personally I wasn't offended by the content in the original trailer. It just made me curious as to what the game would be like. I hope it's good. 

Edited by -Bender-

Well I was antagonizing because he did get fucking testy with me and he did fucking undermine me. So yeah, it's whatever.

Great...now I feel bad for adding to it.

I think it would be fair to say that both sides of this particular argument have been antagonistic and dismissive of each other which has fueled emotions running high. I think it would also be fair to say that no one honestly means anything personal towards those who either are or are not looking forward to the game, and that one should not feel like crap for placing a stake on either side of the fence. No hard feelings?

• Thumbs Up 5

I guess feeling like crap was the events of my emotions running high, especially with the hate train that was the DmC thread, so yes definitely no hard feelings or hate/disrespect to anyone here. xx

At this point we're gonna be arguing for the sake of arguing....

I'm actually laughing right now, it's pretty damn funny to see how badly the PR fucked us all over.

Well now that that's all over, I'd like to pick up this game soon, but it probably won't be this month. Too much stuff on my backlog.

Considering how this ended up, I'm kind of glad I stuck to my decision of staying out of the discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it would be fair to say that both sides of this particular argument have been antagonistic and dismissive of each other which has fueled emotions running high. I think it would also be fair to say that no one honestly means anything personal towards those who either are or are not looking forward to the game, and that one should not feel like crap for placing a stake on either side of the fence. No hard feelings?

That, and How about both sides take this as a lesson of what not to freaking do next time? Hysteria and patronizing only adds fuel to the fire, and it's sad how both sides went rampant on each other.

Kinda thought we were better than that.

That, and How about both sides take this as a lesson of what not to freaking do next time? Hysteria and patronizing only adds fuel to the fire, and it's sad how both sides went rampant on each other.

Kinda thought we were better than that.

Well, when you have a sensitive and controversial topic like Feminism, then emotions will run high no matter what you do.................

Well, when you have a sensitive and controversial topic like Feminism, then emotions will run high no matter what you do.................

Hey, if you make a statement, be prepared for the consequences that come with it. When you come off as insulting, adding to it is not going to convince them otherwise.

I have no idea why we're arguing about the debate concerning the game other than to argue about arguing but....

Blatant misrepresentation of what people were arguing is going to get people as upset as any other antagonistic behavior. The very fact that I'm coming into this topic and seeing people say 'Well now that this game got good game scores means the everyone jumped on the hate bandwagon' really leads me to assume people are either deliberately or not missing the point of what the other side was debating. It's a point worth touching on in itself, but it seems clear people are rather ok with letting the debate finish where it's at. 

I stand by almost every point I argued for, I'm glad the game turned out better than the marketing made it out to be like but I still feel like the underlying issue is still there (namely the whole role of women and how they are presented in gaming). If anything, right now I'm a bit more perplexed as to why they felt the need to present it as they did other than because of said underlying issue as well as to drum up controversy. I'm glad the game turned out to have a different narrative than the one that while the marketing team seemed like it was trying to combat, quite of a few of the things presented ran contrary too.

Regardless, people who post on a forum need to be prepared to discussion and debate, because that's an integral part of the experience. Yes it can get heated and sometimes it's good to step back sometimes, but it's not something that you're going to be able to readily avoid. It was the right of both sides to state their positions (and unfortunately yes, sometimes it does get flamey/antagonistic), as it is the right of people to express their opinions on a forum. Quite a few people actually thanked me for my posts in this topic as they were interested in the discussion, so while I'm sorry that people are upset but I think that while we should move on from the specifics of this debate perhaps for the general well being of the people involved.......I think undermine the whole debate itself is just another way to get people upset all over again.

• Thumbs Up 7

If it's any consolation, all these arguements have made me want to buy the game. Great advertisement skills everyone!

Edited by Elseb
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I played this game for like 2 hours in, and I am heavily disappointed with this game and I am close to giving up.

If you ask me, "Does Tomb Raider (2013) play more like the old Tomb Raider games or more like Uncharted?" I'll say it plays more like Uncharted. This reboot separates itself from what actually makes Tomb Raider, one of the best franchises in to an almost mirror copy of Uncharted with sparkles of Far Cry 3. I'm not saying this is bad, but from a Tomb Raider fan this is disappointing. It's like I'm playing a different game.

Remember the times when you see a stone door and you have to spend an hour solving puzzles and clues in to opening that stone door? Or when you walk by and you unexpectedly trigger a trap? Or even visiting the Croft Manor? These things have either disappeared from this reboot or have been dumbed down. 

They replaced it with more action, shooting sequences like you see in Uncharted games. I mean, do you even shoot deadly tigers in this game? Or just humans? Not a happy bunny. 

My verdict, if you like Uncharted, you'll love this Tomb Raider reboot. If you are not a fan of Uncharted's gameplay, then this game isn't for you. You can call this game Uncharted: Tomb Raider. I'm dead serious.

So I played this game for like 2 hours in, and I am heavily disappointed with this game and I am close to giving up.

If you ask me, "Does Tomb Raider (2013) play more like the old Tomb Raider games or more like Uncharted?" I'll say it plays more like Uncharted. This reboot separates itself from what actually makes Tomb Raider, one of the best franchises in to an almost mirror copy of Uncharted with sparkles of Far Cry 3. I'm not saying this is bad, but from a Tomb Raider fan this is disappointing. It's like I'm playing a different game.

Remember the times when you see a stone door and you have to spend an hour solving puzzles and clues in to opening that stone door? Or when you walk by and you unexpectedly trigger a trap? Or even visiting the Croft Manor? These things have either disappeared from this reboot or have been dumbed down. 

They replaced it with more action, shooting sequences like you see in Uncharted games. I mean, do you even shoot deadly tigers in this game? Or just humans? Not a happy bunny. 

My verdict, if you like Uncharted, you'll love this Tomb Raider reboot. If you are not a fan of Uncharted's gameplay, then this game isn't for you. You can call this game Uncharted: Tomb Raider. I'm dead serious.

Well, considering the staggering amount of people Lara kill in Tomb Raider 2, I'm perfectly fine with lengthy shooter parts, provided (and this is important) it gets balanced with proper-length tomb delving perils requiring lots of platforming skills later on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seems some UK shops still aren't used to how the odd Tuesday game releases work. Just been down to the Merry Hill shopping centre and went in every store that sells games. 

Currys PC World: Nowhere in sight.

Currys Digital: Nowhere in sight. Asked staff and they said they probably won't get it in until Thursday.

Toys R Us: Nowhere in sight.

ASDA: Nowhere in sight.

Sainsbury's: £34.99

Argos: £34.99

HMV: £37.99

GAME: £39.99 (Exclusive Explorer Edition with 2 pieces of DLC)

I know GAME doesn't price match supermarkets, but I'm sure they used to price match other shops. I asked them if they price match Argos, and they said they only do it with trade-ins. Decided to ask my wife to get it for me from the Sainsbury's where she works after she finishes her shift tonight, so I can get it for £31.50 with our 10% staff discount and Nectar points. I'll post my impressions after I've had some time with it.

Seems some UK shops still aren't used to how the odd Tuesday game releases work. Just been down to the Merry Hill shopping centre and went in every store that sells games. 

Currys PC World: Nowhere in sight.

Currys Digital: Nowhere in sight. Asked staff and they said they probably won't get it in until Thursday.

Toys R Us: Nowhere in sight.

ASDA: Nowhere in sight.

Sainsbury's: £34.99

Argos: £34.99

HMV: £37.99

GAME: £39.99 (Exclusive Explorer Edition with 2 pieces of DLC)

I know GAME doesn't price match supermarkets, but I'm sure they used to price match other shops. I asked them if they price match Argos, and they said they only do it with trade-ins. Decided to ask my wife to get it for me from the Sainsbury's where she works after she finishes her shift tonight, so I can get it for £31.50 with our 10% staff discount and Nectar points. I'll post my impressions after I've had some time with it.

Just to add to this for everyone else Zavvi are doing the game for £31 so it's probably worth getting it there, though no extra content like dlc with this version but the price is worth it.

Oh and as I type this I just realised amazon have dropped their price slightly to £31.90 with free postage of course, again no extra content apart from the pre-order multiplayer map which obviously has now been removed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to add to this for everyone else Zavvi are doing the game for £31 so it's probably worth getting it there, though no extra content like dlc with this version but the price is worth it.

If you can wait an extra 1-2 weeks for it, go ahead. Zavvi's delivery times/reliability lately is utterly shocking.

If you can wait an extra 1-2 weeks for it, go ahead. Zavvi's delivery times/reliability lately is utterly shocking.

Really? I ordered Rayman Origins off of there in 2011 and they were pretty speedy with it. Considering Amazon are pretty much equal on price now and with their free and usually fast delivery I'll be getting it from there.

Just started playing Tomb Raider. The graphics look absolutely fantastic. The interactive cutscenes are really imaginative and the atmosphere is impressive, very dramatic. I like this game already. 

Edited by -Bender-

Wife forgot to get the game for me even though I called and reminded her when she finished work :( Going to go get it early in the morning tomorrow if I can get up XD

I have to say. That moment where I started making my way through that little bit of forest/river, taking bow in hand and scoping out for deer, without a health bar and minimap in sight... I felt a huge engaging sense of liberation.

It's a shame it eventually went down the path of Uncharted. I was really looking forward to a game that would really set itself apart in a realer-than-real, moment-by-moment kind of way. Where every step you take is consciously made, where you HAVE to observe the subtle aspects of the environment to make progress, just like that one guy said at the river segment.