Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

Shadzter it's in Tesco for £32 WITH the DLC as well, so that's your best bets.

Shadzter it's in Tesco for £32 WITH the DLC as well, so that's your best bets.

Aw, nuts! Went and got it from Sainsbury's this morning. Hopefully all of the DLC will be released at a later date anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems some UK shops still aren't used to how the odd Tuesday game releases work. Just been down to the Merry Hill shopping centre and went in every store that sells games. 

Currys PC World: Nowhere in sight.

Currys Digital: Nowhere in sight. Asked staff and they said they probably won't get it in until Thursday.

Toys R Us: Nowhere in sight.

ASDA: Nowhere in sight.

Sainsbury's: £34.99

Argos: £34.99

HMV: £37.99

GAME: £39.99 (Exclusive Explorer Edition with 2 pieces of DLC)

I know GAME doesn't price match supermarkets, but I'm sure they used to price match other shops. I asked them if they price match Argos, and they said they only do it with trade-ins. Decided to ask my wife to get it for me from the Sainsbury's where she works after she finishes her shift tonight, so I can get it for £31.50 with our 10% staff discount and Nectar points. I'll post my impressions after I've had some time with it.

They should never have rid of the store at the top, i think it was called Best Buy? anyway the game would have probably cost £25-£29 or something has it still been there. I live like a mile away from Merry Hill. tongue.png

Edited by Elseb

They should never have rid of the store at the top, i think it was called Best Buy? anyway the game would have probably cost £25-£29 or something has it still been there. I live like a mile away from Merry Hill. tongue.png

Hey, nice to see someone who lives nearby smile.png Yeah, it was Best Buy. I used to get some of my games and Blu-Rays from there because they were so cheap. Was gutted when they closed down.

Ok, so i was watching the Video Games Awesome playthrough of this game and i had to post this because it might just be the greatest thing I have ever seen in a videogame - The story of an ambitious little bottle that inspired everybody who saw it all:

Seriously that was like one of the best accidental things ever. So far i find the game to just be a generic Uncharted clone, as for the story, it's still too early to tell. I'll say this though: When so far the most interesting character in your game is a walking bottle there's a problem.

R.I.P Bottley. You will forever be missedsad.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I never had a nightmare for almost a year, and after playing this game I had a nightmare. =/

Anyway I'm beginning to take back what I said earlier. Sure I'm still a bit disappointed and it's an Uncharted-like clone, but the direction they took certainly isn't bad. Maybe because I'm playing it on the PC. The graphics are stunning. It's even better with 60FPS. The exploration is still there even though it's no Tomb Raider III.

I'm also still not happy with Lara's deaths. They are way too dramatic for my liking. No Tomb Raider game before this reboot had dramatic deaths like these. 

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

I'm also still not happy with Lara's deaths. They are way too dramatic for my liking. No Tomb Raider game before this reboot had dramatic deaths like these. 

Really? I didn't find to be that bad but then again I mostly fell off cliffs. I didn't find them that different from some of the earlier games.

I actually prefer the jumping parts in this game than Uncharted there is more to it than just keep moving along you have to use your axe time your jumps just right like the old Tomb Raider games. I also like how useful the bow was I found myself mostly using it to kill enemies until the final parts where guns became a bit more mandatory.

I also found the game was inspired by other games then just Uncharted like Assassin's Creed (Hunting, Stealth), Batman Arkham Games (Exploring  semi open areas and the way you unlocks weapons and tools as you progress through the game). Quick time events also play a big part as well. smile.png

I really enjoyed best game I have played that has come out so far this year.

Edited by BW199148

Just completed Tomb Raider. What a fantastic reboot.

My thoughts:

I like the following things about this game:

• Graphics are gorgeous.
  • The landscapes look amazing as you transition to different areas.
  • There are often multiple paths to your destination, and paths that lead to hidden tombs and secrets.
  • The map of the island looks really nice (including the zoom in and out function).
  • The fast travel idea works great.
  • Bucket loads of collectables.
  • The weapons and skill upgrade systems works really well.
  • The hint button is very subtle as it does not slow you down. 
  • The range of weapons and their additional usage, such as climbing walls and using a bow with rope on the end to travel from area to area, works great. A tremendous amount of thought has obviously gone into making moving through the landscape as imaginative as posssible.
  • The interactive 'Uncharted' inspired cutscenes work really well.
  • Lara both looks and sounds fantastic.
  • The camera constantly moving as Lara runs along the ground has a great effect.
  • The game has excellent music and sound effects.
  • Some really cool combat upgrades.
  • Not too heavy on boss battles. 
  • An engaging story.

I could go on....

It's true that Lara pants and groans a lot, but this is a good thing as it really adds to the atmosphere as Lara goes through hell. The camera sways slightly when Lara moves which gives the game a really natural feel. The climbing and combat feels seemless. The weapons are very easy to use and combat can be very enjoyable (although sometimes they over do the combat sequences). There is also an element of stealth. In some situations taking out the guards silently makes your journey a little bit easier. 

The dialogue in this game is top notch. I love listening to Lara talk. Even some of the subtle lines, like; "oh god" or "die you bastards", didn't feel over done. This game has a very realistic and real life feel to it. The death scenes can seem brutal, but they are trying to be as realistic as possible. If you don't like them, then don't die!

The game is massive. The sheer size of the island is so impressive. The areas are often open with multiple paths. It certainly can get quite dramatic at times as the landscape collapses around you. It never felt over done. It's like they found the right balance with the interactive cutscenes and normal gameplay. The puzzles that you need to solve in the hidden tomb locations are very nicely done. Some really well thought out ideas. 

In my first playthrough I finished with 69% complete. I will definitely be replaying this game to get 100%.

I know this game takes a nod from the Uncharted series with regards to the interactive cutscenes and cinematic sequences, but that's fair because a lot of Uncharted's exploration gameplay is based on the original Tomb Raider games.

I don't really like the Uncharted games, and yet I love this Lara Croft reboot. I think I just prefer the atmosphere and feel of this game. Also, I think it's more awesome playing as Lara Croft than Nathan Drake. 

Whatever you might think of the marketing campaign and the whole possible rape scene (which lasts for few seconds - and then Lara kills the man - and really wasn't worth all the fuss that was made), there is no denying that this game is an impressive package. I hope we get a sequel on next gen consoles. I note that they delayed releasing Tomb Raider, and I am glad they did because this game is all the better for it. An easy 9.5/10 for me. 

The girl done good

tomb-raider-2013-pc-screenshot.jpg

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

And now it's this game's turn to be torn to shreds by Yahtzee. Long story long, he thinks Lara's character arc is badly written, plays too much like Uncharted (a series he consistently dislikes, btw), and there's no central mechanic that actually gets focus, instead it introduces a whole bunch of mechanics that barely get any use after their introduction.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I wouldn't have considered that deer hunting thing a mechanic. It was just bow practice.

He also seemed to perceive Lara as turning automatically badass after killing the Russian. If I remember correctly, the first couple of subsequent battles after that had her desperately pleading with her attackers to stop trying to kill her, or at least explain why.

In fact, at first she couldn't even hurt her enemies without guns, sans the stealth takedowns. She could only bump into them with her shoulder to throw them off for a moment.

Edited by Jayhawker30
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just completed 'Normal' mode in Tomb Raider, which just leaves Hard mode to beat. Normal mode didn't really seem any more difficult than Easy mode. As long as you get enough weapon/skill upgrades, the combat is still straightforward. 

100%ing a playthrough is tricky, because some of the collectables are very hard to find and don't appear on the game map even when you have found the treasure map for each location. Not complaining though. This is still arguably the most enjoyable Tomb Raider I have ever played.

Edited by -Bender-

Only challenges are not in the treasure map. Everything else you can find them there.

I think it's more annoying upgrade all the weapons (In Hard Mode it's surely less tedious though).

• 2 weeks later...

"Crystal Dynamics: Tomb Raider has “Been the Biggest Week one Sales in Franchise History.”

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/03/29/crystal-dynamics-tomb-raider-has-been-the-biggest-week-one-sales-in-franchise-history/

This news may seem a little weird considering that Square Enix called out Tomb Raider for its “weak sales” of 3.4 million at retail during Fiscal Year 2013, but Darrell Gallagher, Studio Head at Crystal Dynamics, called Tomb Raider not only the best launch in the franchise, but also of 2013:

"It’s been the biggest week one sales in franchise history, and we’re only a few weeks into that launch right now, and it’s been the biggest opening so far in 2013. So, we’re happy with the outcome. It’s certainly in a place where we feel like we’re on the road to achieving everything we wanted to."

Joystiq then talked to Gallagher directly about how Tomb Raider failed to meet Square Enix’s expectations, yet Crystal Dynamics is happy:

"Actuals and expectations, I guess, are two slightly different things. What I’m telling you is the actuals, and they’re communicating expectations."

- - - - -

Looks like Tomb Raider has sold really well. Hopefully a next-gen sequel is on the cards.

Edited by -Bender-

I've played it now (right near the end) and it's a good game. The gameplay is fantastic, but fuck there's so much combat. And that's not what I want out of Tomb Raider. That's the real focus of it and sadly the platforming plays second fiddle. The combat is really well done, don't get me wrong. I can only guess that there's so much of it because that's the sort of thing that's cool these days. The platforming and puzzle solving though (the parts that aren't scripted set pieces) is equally well-made and is also so much more fun. More, please.

Atmospherically this is an interesting approach for a one off. As we're playing though, my sister and I are both finding the lack of undisturbed ancient sites to be really, really boring. At every turn there's metal sheets, tyres, wooden fences etc etc... it's all part of theme of the game which admittedly is pulled off so much better than I'd expected. Cause seriously, I was wrong about a lot of things with this game. But not this. It makes the game very unappealing visually, and I sorely miss the beautiful vistas that all the previous games aimed to show off. So really, I hope the next game will do away with the horror motifs. Interesting approach for a off one, better not become the mainstay.

Pleeeeeeeeeease do away with so much of the combat next time, Crystal Dynamics. I thought Legend had enough shoot outs as it was. Also Lara needs her boobs back.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've finished the game but fancy going back over the island to finish raiding the tombs..... Only I can't, because the game reloads at the last check point before the ending and there's no way to backtrack. I noticed that after the credits, the game tells me that I've finished 71% of the game, but after I've quit (because I'm stuck at the end) it goes back to 69% as if I haven't yet. I've tried completing it again but the same thing happens. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm playing the PC version.

Sounds like a glitch to me. I completed the game this afternoon, skipped the credits (not by exiting the game) and when I loaded my save file I was put back at the first base camp with 86% progress and free to do as I pleased.

Oh and out of curiosity, which areas of the game is it not possible to revisit?

Sounds like a glitch to me. I completed the game this afternoon, skipped the credits (not by exiting the game) and when I loaded my save file I was put back at the first base camp with 86% progress and free to do as I pleased.

Oh and out of curiosity, which areas of the game is it not possible to revisit?

It'll likely be impossible to visit anywhere, if he's where I think he is then the option to fast travel is removed (as warned by an on-screen prompt) and only becomes usable again when you beat the game and are put back into the earlier parts.

It'll likely be impossible to visit anywhere, if he's where I think he is then the option to fast travel is removed (as warned by an on-screen prompt) and only becomes usable again when you beat the game and are put back into the earlier parts.

I meant which areas in general is it not possible to visit after completing the game, not Pawn's specific problem. As far as I can tell, you can go anywhere except before the first base camp, and through some exits (such as the connecting point because the mountain base and base exterior).

Just dropping in to say I really enjoyed this game, and I hope it set's the sail for more games in the future, but please, less combat and more parkour/climbing and puzzle solving :3.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Square-Enix Gouging JP PC Players - $30 for JP Language Pack

Something pretty incredible is happening with the Japanese PC version of Tomb Raider. The game is "officially" coming out on the April 25th here in Japan, after being released earlier last month in the US and EU... and in Japan for Steam (only, I think).

Thing is, the Steam PC version of the game disposed, at launch, of Japanese voices and subtitles, despite being priced at a lower price point than the physical release: 50$ against what amounts to 76$, according to today's exchange rate (which is exceptionally bad for the yen). It was a pretty nice, and a weird move...

So what did Square-Enix do? They patched the Steam version some time ago to take out the Japanese language support and just announced that this Japanese option would be offered as DLC for 30 dollars.

How fucked up is this? I know how terrible Japan is with games prices and how PC doesn't matter much here outside of MMOs, but still, that's plain robbery. How can they get away with removing freaking language support some time after release to sell it as a 30$ DLC?

Source for the pack info:
http://www.sqex-ee.jp/2013/04/-japan...uage-pack.html

Charging people a substantial amount of money just to let them play the game in their native language? That's low, Squenix, even for you.

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 8

Square-Enix Gouging JP PC Players - $30 for JP Language Pack

Charging people a substantial amount of money just to let them play the game in their native language? That's low, Squenix, even for you.

Well, if I can read this correctly, this only happens to the western copies of the game. The JPN versions (Steam/PS3/360) will have JPN language support included.

And if you think about it, it's the Japanese that cheated Square-Enix in the first place. Bought the western PC version of the game to save them money. The DLC is there to even things out.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Well, if I can read this correctly, this only happens to the western copies of the game. The JPN versions (Steam/PS3/360) will have JPN language support included.

And if you think about it, it's the Japanese that cheated Square-Enix in the first place. Bought the western PC version of the game to save them money. The DLC is there to even things out.

... How is paying the same amount of money as American and European players "cheating" Square? It's not specifically Square's fault for game prices there being so fucked up, but they should at least leave them be if they got it early.

If my assumption is correct, Square still gets some of the money off of these imports because they published the game, so some of the money is going to them in first sales no matter where those sales take place. Even if I did concede that this is factually wrong and thus they're trying to price match, making me pay $30 for a language option is fucking highway robbery.

• Thumbs Up 1