Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

They are not obligated to buy into it, nor are they obligated to keep silent when they feel a deal is a rip-off.

And I said, Square isn't forcing them to purchase the language pack. They bought the western version, it has English and the game still works. The western version is suppose to only have the English and other EU language/subtitles. It was never advertized on the box, manuals, in announcements or anywhere it will have Japanese. If they want the Japanese pack, they have to buy it. Or get the JPN version of the game.

Yes, they can be angry about it. I never said they shouldn't be angry about it. I definitely would have. But I understood why Square done this. That's all. Sure they can be kind and leave it be, but they didn't want to. And from a business side of things, I don't think that is evil. It was never intentional, and if they think this is going to hurt them then they should patch it.

If it was intentional though, then what they did is evil.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

I'm not entirely concerned with the ethics of the business decision (but it's still a rip-off). I'm targeting two of the initial arguments you made:

1.) Japanese gamers are morally wrong to import as they have been cheating Square out of money they rightfully deserve. 

2.) Law-abiding consumers are the ones at fault for anti-consumer practices like DRM and region-locking instead of the corporations who enact these practices in the first place.

Thus far, you haven't supported either of these arguments as being rational beyond reiterating that Square has lost money off of Tomb Raider, but this supports nothing anyway. It's merely a statement. Okay, Square has lost money off of Tomb Raider. Why does that make it okay to guilt-trip Japanese gamers into supporting this patch, why does that justify anti-consumer practices from Square and elsewhere, and how does that even support the notion that every single theoretical dollar that could be made off of Tomb Raider belong to Square? And ultimately, at what point is Square responsible for getting their ass in gear and enacting business practices that don't run the high risk of losing money?

Nothing you've said cuts it for me. Game companies theoretically lose money all the time when I borrow a game from a friend or buy a used copy. Are you now going to support criminalizing borrowing copies and revoking the first-sale doctrine? What makes these things okay and not importing?

• Thumbs Up 4

Well I finished the game this week and all I have to say is that it was a good game, but it had potential to be more. I really felt that when I reached the end it felt like the game was finally really starting. In other words the game was too short.

I don't mind that it felt more like a shooter sometimes because I felt that is a naturally progression from previous entries in the series, but saying that, I do think it needed more/better platforming.

Another thing I didn't like was that there wasn't really a connection with the Endurance crew. Like, I think the game needed more interaction with them in order to care about them.

Sure, you could collect the journals that gave you an insight to each crew member, but at least to me that wasn't enough.

Also I felt hard mode was just too easy. Though, I'm looking forward to a sequel and I hope it turns out better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just beat it.

tumblr_m5fns61bkm1qe3yjd.gif

That was glorious. Christ. Didn't expect to like it that much at all, haha. The story was great (I got caught in the "Shit, I have school tomorrow but... let me just see what happens next" loop yesterday), the characters were all likeable and interesting (loved reading their journal entries), and the gameplay was top notch. I really enjoyed the shooting as well as the platforming, and some of the setpieces blew me away.

Storming the palace to save Sam was fucking amazing all the way through. The river of blood, the crazy psychopaths in the cave, the escape... just... holy shit. That was amazing.

And then Roth's death was handled so well, too. I really liked the guy. Was sad to see him die.

It's all very different from the gung-ho B-Movie vibe I got watching the other games, and I love it for that. I like new Lara better, I really appreciate the tonal shift, etc. Old Tomb Raider isn't really for me at all (watching Lara fight a giant glowing lizard monster while flipping around like a trapeze artist was one of the silliest things I've seen all week; no thanks), but this game was right up my alley.

I'm pretty sure this has been said a million times, but I'll say for myself that the "Protect Lara" thing was a load of shit. Lara's a very capable protagonist, and I actually really liked her.

So yeah. Tomb Raider. Deserves all the acclaim it got. Fucking love it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Tomb Raider is currently 50% off on Steam, for this weekend only. It's £14.99 for the normal addition, and £17.49 for the survival addition.

Also, the Tomb Raider collection (which consists of: TR Legend, Anniversary, Underworld, TR 1, TR2, TR3, Last Revelation, Chornicles and Angel of Darkness is 50% this weekend. £22.49 which is an excellent deal. 

There is about 32 hours left to purchase the game at the reduced price as at the time of this post.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the game last week and I loved it. The characters were all likeable, the areas all had their own 'feel' to them and I loved finding all the hidden items such as the journals and artefacts. Lara was actually believable in this game, and luckily, she wasn't an idiot because she was young (Charlie from Revolution is an example). I played some of the Multiplayer, and it was okay. The multiplayer wasn't the reason I bought it, so I'm not annoyed. It just... lacked what the single player had. I would have preferred a co-op mode to be honest.

One problem I have is that you can't tell which tombs you have done and haven't done, it would have been nice if they had some way of telling you.

However, for £25 pounds, I'm glad I got it, despite the minor nitpicks I have.

One problem I have is that you can't tell which tombs you have done and haven't done, it would have been nice if they had some way of telling you.

I'm pretty sure you can tell. On the map unfinished tombs are an outline, while the the ones you have done are coloured in. Something like that. Or hovering over the icon will say it's completed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Interesting bit of news. By the sound of it we might be getting a sequel to the Tomb Raider 2013 reboot.

New Tomb Raider comic 'will lead directly into the sequel' to Crystal Dynamics' well-received 2013 series reboot, according to veteran writer Gail Simone.

Announced by publisher Dark Horse Comics at San Diego Comic-Con and due for release in February 2014, the comic is set shortly after the events of the game and will take Lara on a globetrotting adventure, Simone told Kotaku.

"I chose to do this series solely because I loved the game so much, so we're definitely keeping the tone of the game," she said.

"I've always loved the classic, cool Lara Croft, but this feels like her origin story, like we're seeing her before she becomes the icon, and it's very compelling to me. The storytelling in the game hooked me instantly.

"The biggest difference is, the game told a claustrophobic story in an isolated setting. We are going globetrotting," Simone continued.

"We start just a few weeks after the end of the game, and this is all in continuity, it will be Tomb Raider canon, and lead directly into the sequel. This is what got me excited; we get to be part of Lara Croft history."

If we do get a Tomb Raider sequel on next-gen consoles then i'm all for that. TR 2013 was a very enjoyable game. 

Edited by -Bender-

Interesting bit of news. By the sound of it we might be getting a sequel to the Tomb Raider 2013 reboot.

New Tomb Raider comic 'will lead directly into the sequel' to Crystal Dynamics' well-received 2013 series reboot, according to veteran writer Gail Simone.

Announced by publisher Dark Horse Comics at San Diego Comic-Con and due for release in February 2014, the comic is set shortly after the events of the game and will take Lara on a globetrotting adventure, Simone told Kotaku.

"I chose to do this series solely because I loved the game so much, so we're definitely keeping the tone of the game," she said.

"I've always loved the classic, cool Lara Croft, but this feels like her origin story, like we're seeing her before she becomes the icon, and it's very compelling to me. The storytelling in the game hooked me instantly.

"The biggest difference is, the game told a claustrophobic story in an isolated setting. We are going globetrotting," Simone continued.

"We start just a few weeks after the end of the game, and this is all in continuity, it will be Tomb Raider canon, and lead directly into the sequel. This is what got me excited; we get to be part of Lara Croft history."

If we do get a Tomb Raider sequel on next-gen consoles then i'm all for that. TR 2013 was a very enjoyable game. 

There's a sequel coming?

God help me. IMO this reboot takes the franchise in a much too serious direction. Sure big boobed wise-cracking Laura wasn't the best character in the world but it was a lot more fun and charming to me then the more generic-dark-survival horror direction of the reboot, and she did have decent meat to her character in games like Tomb Raider Legend. I just miss the more light-hearted feel, it's one of the reasons I love Tomb Raider. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Let's hope it adds more puzzles/mysteries to the mix instead of combat taking up the entire game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say that I hope the sequel is less gory and sinister, with a bigger focus on exploration instead of shooting and see the full return of Lara's action-girl self. But I know that none of that is likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say that I hope the sequel is less gory and sinister,

More death impalement scenes!

• Thumbs Up 1

It wasn't the gore or death scenes that bothered me, I'm a gore fan so they just added to the brutal nature of the game, it was the whole walking 5 steps from battle, to another when you just want to explore, even areas that you previously cleared out and go back to pick up the items you missed, enemies are everywhere and it just became tedious in the end, Lara isn't a brutal murderer, she's a survivor and an archaeologist so some of the game where she just went through areas slaying people who could have been avoided, you were just boxed into a fight scene until you cleared the enemy wave, it honestly felt more like brawler than an actual action puzzle game.

The tomb's were laughably short too, just mini games with no real challenge, I'd like to see fans of the newer games go back and play Tomb Raider 1-3 before telling me what I should have in a Tomb Raider game.

• Thumbs Up 1

It wasn't the gore or death scenes that bothered me, I'm a gore fan so they just added to the brutal nature of the game, it was the whole walking 5 steps from battle, to another when you just want to explore, even areas that you previously cleared out and go back to pick up the items you missed, enemies are everywhere and it just became tedious in the end, Lara isn't a brutal murderer, she's a survivor and an archaeologist so some of the game where she just went through areas slaying people who could have been avoided, you were just boxed into a fight scene until you cleared the enemy wave, it honestly felt more like brawler than an actual action puzzle game.

I think the worst part about that is how it affects the game storywise because the "there are no good guys here" card was played.  Oh yeah, they're survivors just like Lara and company... except there's too many for that to seem plausible / for me to actually care.  Just how many ships crashed on that island in the past X years anyways?  

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah the scavengers aren't bad people, they have no choice but to believe in Mathias' ways otherwise he killed them, but the fact that the game didn't really explain this, nor did the game present any form of mercy in situations where combat could be avoided, it automatically made every person you encountered, a threat and effectively a bad guy when all they really want is to get off the island, but even for me there were points in the game where enough should have been enough, but the fact that the game never really raised any reason for me to care for these people just made me think they were all big fucking cunts that just wanted to kill and maim.

Either way as fun as it was, it definitely wasn't Lara that I was playing as, and I refuse to believe this continuity, it simply just wasn't a Tomb Raider game, it was a third person shooter with gore and quick time events with a bit of parkour/platforming. 

The only thing that felt Tomb Raider like to me was the story, but the actual gameplay was not what I was expecting from this game.

Edited by Super Soniko

...So is the game great or is it shit? I'm getting confused.

Anyways I'm waiting till I have a Gaming PC to play this.

That's the problem, it's really, REALLY fucking good, the story, the voice acting, the combat, it's all fucking glorious.

But it's NOT a Tomb Raider game, it's alright as it's own thing personally, but carrying the TR name just isn't fitting at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

TR received critical acclaim. I loved it. It might be a slightly different take on the traditional 'nothing but tombs-puzzles' gameplay, but it was all the better for it. Whilst Legend and Anniversary were a return to form, TR Underworld was a large mess. So a fresh take/reboot was a good move, and the game looks, feels and plays extremely well.

Edited by -Bender-

Alright. I've never played a Tomb Raider game for more than 2 minutes, so I don't think that'll be a problem for me personally.

I've heard it being renamed to Uncharted: Lara Croft. Sounds like a good game to me.

Alright. I've never played a Tomb Raider game for more than 2 minutes, so I don't think that'll be a problem for me personally.

I have no interest in the Tomb Raider franchise, so this game suited my tastes a lot more than the others did. Just look at my post above to see what I thought. 

I love the reboot. I like the new direction and I am really looking forward to the sequel on next-gen consoles:

Tomb Raider Origins tongue.png

Crystal Dynamics have done an excellent job with this franchise. 

Edited by -Bender-

Sorry to double post. 

Buffy writer and exec producer scripting Tomb Raider movie reboot

Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV scribe and executive producer Marti Noxon has been named as the new writer of the upcoming Tomb Raider movie.

The film is expected to reboot the big-screen adventures of heroine Lara Croft and provide her with a fresh origin story, following in the footsteps of Crystal Dynamics' game.

The storyline may differ, although the game's dark and grittier tone will remain - as will the new, younger version of Lara.

Noxon rose from writer to producer and later co-showrunner on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Joss Whedon's cult TV show, although was sometimes a controversial figure within the show's rabid fanbase.

During her six year tenure she wrote more than 20 episodes, and also contributed to its spin-off, Angel.

Noxon's other work includes stints on Glee, Mad Men, Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice.

This is Marti Noxon:

marti_noxon_2011_a_p.jpg

She wrote some really good scripts for Buffy.

So a new Tomb Raider movie. Cool. Who could play the lead role, as Angelina Jolie is now too old for the part? Jennifer Lawrence, maybe? 

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

• 3 months later...

Update: On tonight's VGX, the details of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition were revealed. The physics have been improved, Lara's head has been completely redesigned, and the vaunted TressFX that power Lara's hair physics will come to consoles.

Redesigned head?

what