Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

I watched a complete blind let's play of the new Tomb Raider. Honestly, it didn't look the least bit appealing to me. The new Lara isn't as bad as the new Samus of Other M infamy, and this game at least has the legitimate excuse of being a prequel, but it's not a person I want to play as. I especially can't sympathise with her for her suffering when she at the same time is murdering literally hundreds of people with barely a shrug once she gets over the novelty of it. That's the problem of making your protagonist realistically human WITHOUT dropping the completely unrealistic prospect of killing dozens of dudes every ten minutes without any effort towards finding an alternate means of reaching the goal.

I didn't like the shift towards third-person shooter focus way back in Tomb Raider 2, but that game didn't have any illusions of being a realistic story, so I didn't give it any thought. That just doesn't work here. Even the more recent Tomb Raider Legends went for the action movie angle, with badassery over personality, so I could appreciate it at the same level as watching Willis or Schwartzenegger plow through bad guys.

Honestly, if the next Tomb Raider keeps the trend of Kill X Guys To Reach Next Checkpoint between every platform segment, then I'd rather they just revert her back to her badass stereotype roots and keep it mindless.

Oh, and the story was kind of stupid. Peter Jackson's King Kong directed by M Night Shyamalan stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

*Bump*

More information about the PS4 & Xbox One 'Definitive' edition of Tomb Raider.

"Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition launches for PS4 and Xbox One in North America on 28th January and in Europe on 31st January. It includes the pre-order bonus tomb; The Tomb of the Lost Adventurer, plus a bunch of the game's multiplayer add-ons - eight DLC maps, six weapons and four characters.

Six extra Lara outfits are also included, plus digital copies of the Dark Horse comic Tomb Raider: The Beginning, Brady Games' art book Tomb Raider: The Art of Survival plus Zachary Levi's The Final Hours of Tomb Raider documentary series.

Voice commands are supported on both consoles. On PS4 the DualShock 4 lights up when you use the torch.

But it's the graphical improvements most are concerned about. Definitive Edition, which was built in a year by Crystal Dynamics, Sleeping Dogs developer United Front Games and Nixxes, has had a graphical lick of paint and features a tweaked version of Lara Croft's face. It also has the previously PC-only next-gen hair for Lara Croft, made possible via AMD's TressFX technology.

Other work done to the game includes up-rezzed geometry and textures, but it's clear Lara has enjoyed the most attention. Special materials were added that dynamically change when she wades through mud, gets blood on her, and when it rains or she is wet. The TressFX tech was "custom written and optimised for Lara this first-time out for us on next-gen as we hadn't ever done it before on consoles", Amos explained.

There's no word on a PC release for the Definitive Edition. Both versions run at full 1080p resolution."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK2WobxDXb8

So is anyone here planning on picking up this version when it's released?

nope since there is STILL no wii-u version

I really don't mean to stir up anything here, but what would even be the point of that? The biggest sell here is the redone graphics optimized for more current hardware, rendering a Wii U version redundant to boot.

Unless you meant the game in general not being on Wii U, of course.

I really don't mean to stir up anything here, but what would even be the point of that? The biggest sell here is the redone graphics optimized for more current hardware, rendering a Wii U version redundant to boot.

Unless you meant the game in general not being on Wii U, of course.

in general

No offense, but that's what happens to Nintendo. They get the shit end of the 3rd party games. Except the typical COD crap.

Not this again rolleyes.gif

Anyways, it's be cool if it came to PC, but I won't lose sleep over it.

the game is on my Steam wishlist, hopefully I'll be able to get it soon.

This game will never be on Wii U. Get over it. Square declared Tomb Raider 9 a sales failure despite it being one of the highest rated and best selling games of the year. When a budget is bloated enough to result in that, you can rest assured that they won't be porting any version of it to a platform where sales would be minimal.

I'm still hoping that Tomb Raider 10 is even just a bit more traditional that this one. I really dislike a lot of the rebooted story, and how it's almost a different universe.

I honestly don't get why they're even releasing it on PS4/Xbone when they declared it a "failure". I'm pretty sure everyone who wants it has it by now.

It's easy to take the source material, add shit, and repackage it on a new console. I doubt it will cost them much.

Precisely that. It's less that a year old. Some people will have yet to play it, while others will have upgraded to the next-gen already (or will be doing so soon) and won't be able to play it. Easy way to milk money. Some people will upgrade for the sheer fact that they can get a better looking version of the game even if they'd still be happy to play it on an older system.

Only just picked this up for PS3. (Yes I have a PS3 now! :D)

I don't mind it, although I think I preferred Legend-Anniversary-Underworld Lara in terms of character, voice acting, general sassyness etc. This Lara is certainly different! I get the impression this game is trying to say "yeah, all that adventure shit, climbing over blocks, sliding down stuff etc? This is what it would be really like!".

It still feels Tomb Raidery to me, but there is a lot of combat and it is starting to piss me off a bit. (Shanty Town, oh geez!) The story makes me think of Lost. I'm half expecting to fall into a Dharma Initiative bunker or bump into a polar bear!

So yeah, I'm late to the party but so far I'm liking it.

Haha I can't believe they're charging $60 for this.

This is exactly why I don't tnink it will sell many copies. Almost everyone has the game now, so why bother!

Why why WHY would you charge 60 dollars for a game which is exactly the same as the original bar a graphical update?

It's not even that. It's just a port of the PC version with extra shit thrown in. They aren't doing any re-rendering or anything; the PC version had it from the start.

Essentially, this is just them trying to make up for the "losses" they "suffered" from "not selling enough copies"

It's not even 60FPS. PC version is still better and can get for cheap.

Disappointed Square Enix Europe.

It's not 60FPS?

DA HELL?

on a serious note, the TressFX takes a hard hit on GPUs. Though, I'd prefer 60fps over unrealistic crazy hair.

I thought the point of the hair was to be realistic?

It's not the most realistic hair and it does end up looking a bit silly at times, but I guess it's a bit better than static hair.

I just don't see it worth it to have her hair flop all over the place (unrealistically too) while cutting game performance by 1/3rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, looks like the game will be 1080p and run at 30fps on both Xbone and PS4. =I

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-17-tomb-raider-finally-achieved-profitability-by-the-end-of-last-year

Again, why even bother releasing it on a next gen console when it runs worse than the PC version? Not to mention the ridiculously high price tag.

Yep, looks like the game will be 1080p and run at 30fps on both Xbone and PS4. =I

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-17-tomb-raider-finally-achieved-profitability-by-the-end-of-last-year

Again, why even bother releasing it on a next gen console when it runs worse than the PC version? Not to mention the ridiculously high price tag.

What if you bought a next-gen console, don't care for PC gaming, and didn't buy the game before?

I would buy it on PC but my rig can't run it and I've never played the game before so next-gen version it is. 

What if you bought a next-gen console, don't care for PC gaming, and didn't buy the game before?

I know there are some people out there who haven't played Tomb Raider yet (including me!), that's fine. But even so paying $60 for a game which is not only a year old already but also runs much better on PC is just ludicrous.

I know for a fact that if I owned a PS4 or Xbone right now I would NOT buy this game unless it was considerably lower in price.

So it has been confirmed that the PS4 version will run at 60FPS, while XONE will run at 30FPS.

Because the PS4 runs @ 60 with these magnificent upgrades, it is truly a 'definitive version'. Will grab a copy when I get my PS4 (although I already played it on PC)

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/tomb_raider_definitive_edition/news/tomb_raider_definitive_edition_runs_at_60fps_on_ps4_crystal_confirms.html