Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

I'm actually shocked they got TressFX running at 60FPS. Color me impressed.

It really shows how awesome the price/performance ratio is with the PS4.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-runs-at-60fps-on-ps4

Square Enix have said the following:

"Both platforms offer the same outstanding Tomb Raider experience. Delivering the core Tomb Raider gameplay at native 1080p and running at 30fps was always our primary goal given the type of experience Tomb Raider is and the exploration we want players to do. Anything beyond 30fps for this version is gravy."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-runs-at-60fps-on-ps4

Square Enix have said the following:

"Both platforms offer the same outstanding Tomb Raider experience. Delivering the core Tomb Raider gameplay at native 1080p and running at 30fps was always our primary goal given the type of experience Tomb Raider is and the exploration we want players to do. Anything beyond 30fps for this version is gravy."

This type of game is perfectly fine at 30fps, BUT 60fps is always better and if you can have that instead then why not.

So who should we believe? Crystal Dynamics, the developers who actually created the game - or Square Enix who just publishes the game and most likely lie to us so they won't see their XONE sales drop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who should we believe? Crystal Dynamics, the developers who actually created the game - or Square Enix who just publishes the game and most likely lie to us so they won't see their XONE sales drop?

They're not contradicting each other. Square's just downplaying the benefit of 60 FPS because they don't want to discourage Xbox owners from buying. Even then, they're not lying. The primarily goal probably was 1080p/30FPS - 60FPS is a bonus, not a necessity.

On a side note, reading this page from top to bottom is now rather amusing. Not as hilarious as GAF, though, where a bunch of people were snarking about being willing to pay $1 per frame and had to eat crow last night. :P

So does that make the Xbox One version merely

*image*

Seems that way. 

The feel of definitive.

Anyways, yeah, 60fps is awesome.  That $60 price however, is still awful.  I'm definitely going to grab this when it drops to $20.

Is this what started the whole 1080p vs 60FPS debate?

Honestly the appeal of the rerelease doesn't even apply to either of them. Resolution aside, the polygon count and textures of the console versions looked like shit compared to the PC ones. Now console owners can have the PC graphics too, with resolution and framerate being some toppings.

Is this what started the whole 1080p vs 60FPS debate?

Honestly the appeal of the rerelease doesn't even apply to either of them. Resolution aside, the polygon count and textures of the console versions looked like shit compared to the PC ones. Now console owners can have the PC graphics too, with resolution and framerate being some toppings.

The only things it's missing are tesselation and upscaling crazy high resolutions, actually. Apart from that the textures actually are much better in this version (they've been boosted to 4K resolution), as well as the lighting, Lara's character model itself, and the physics/animations. 

I mean, crazy rigs are crazy rigs but from what we've seen so far it really does look like it'll be best on PS4 provided your PC isn't worth upwards of $1200 in parts. It's not a crazy difference but at this point it is fair to call it "definitive" for the time being. 

Whether or not it's worth $60 is up to the eyes of the beholder, though. I can at least say it was a smart business move, even if it wasn't the nicest. Early adopters are hungry for software and that's what they're providing.

The news of 60FPS was the final push I needed, personally. I'll pick it up later this month, maybe next.

Was there ever any doubt that the PS4 version was going to be the better version?

Most people expected forced parity between the two versions, or at the most a small difference.

Everyone knows the PS4 is stronger, but god damn, I had no idea it was this huge of a difference. Seems almost PS2 vs Xbox-esque.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the Tomb Rader Port is going to be that much better on PS4? ....Man, that's just crazy, I mean, we all know that the PS4 is the stronger system compared to the X1 but the PS4 version having a almost 40-50% preformance boost over it is just....wow. It really is going to be like the Xbox vs. PS2 days where the stronger hardware got the best version and the weaker ones got the "okay" versions (Splinter Cell series for example).....man how could Microsoft mess up that badly?

At least PS4 owners will be able to enjoy the smoothness that 60FPS (or close to it) provides along with having really great looking visuals for this good game :). Might get it whenever I get my PS4 latter this year happy.png.

It seems kind of fishy to me that the only solution they had was to flat-out cut the framerate in half. I can't imagine the Xbone being that much weaker.

It seems kind of fishy to me that the only solution they had was to flat-out cut the framerate in half. I can't imagine the Xbone being that much weaker.

They're both unlocked but capped at 30. Xbone averages at roughly 30-35 while the PS4 is around 55-60. At the very most, the Xbone has reached a max of 45. 

It really is that big of a difference, amazingly.

AMENDMENT (24/01): There appears to be a little bit of confusion of the framerates reported, and the fault is our own and our poor wording. We inaccurately used the term “average” when the math, in reality, does not add up. Logistically saying the average is ~30fps implies it exceeds and dips below 30fps, averaging at the number. That is not the case. What our sources have reported is that the listed FPS are roughly the most common targets during performance. So while the Xbox One version can reach ~45fps, for a majority of play it will sit around the ~30fps market, give a few frames. Same goes for the PlayStation 4 build, which in most cases hits around 60fps, take a few frames. Our sources have not confirmed exactly, but our own extrapolation of the information suggests you might say the average (accurate use of the term) Xbox One performance could be ~35fps, meanwhile the average PlayStation 4 performance may be ~55fps. Actual, concrete performance benchmarks will need to wait until the game is out for everyone, as we certainly don’t have them.

We apologise for any confusion from misuse of the term “average”, and hope this amendment better clarifies performance on both systems.

Well, they could have pulled a BF4 and lower the resolution to 720p/900p to get the frame rate higher but they chose to keep both versions at 1080p instead. Either way, both versions are going to run on an unlocked frame rate, so who knows how much of the time the PS4 or X1 versions will maintain a high frame rate (the game on super powerful PC's with the hair physics ran at average 30FPS.

I guess they figured that it would be easier to just port the PC version to the PS4/X1 rather than optimize both versions of the game.

The X1 isn't the easest to develop for (as shown with many 3rd party games being better on PS4), so that could be it to unsure.png.

The craziest thing is that this isn't even a full on next gen game, just an up-port of a PS3/360 game released early last year. Can't imagine what games like Mad Max, FF XV, KH III, Ailen Isolation, Destiny and other 3rd party games are going to be like on the next gen systems; will this trend continue or will it die down?

Most people expected forced parity between the two versions, or at the most a small difference.

Everyone knows the PS4 is stronger, but god damn, I had no idea it was this huge of a difference. Seems almost PS2 vs Xbox-esque.

I could have sworn the Xbox was was stronger tech-wise than the PS2. Or is that what you were implying?

I could have sworn the Xbox was was stronger tech-wise than the PS2. Or is that what you were implying?

It is, yeah. Big difference, too. I mean, they were comparable (this isn't a Wii or Wii U type difference or anything), but it was noticeable. The PS4 is the new Xbox in this regard.

Edit -

30 FPS is closer to 24 FPS which is the standard for movies.

DID SOMEBODY SAY MOVIIIIEEEEE~?

tombraider2xie3m.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Here's a comparison with GIFs.

PC Version (running in Ultra Settings with TressFX off).

ku-xlarge.gif

Acceptable Edition (Xbox One version).

ku-xlarge.gif

The Definitive Edition unfortunately could not be recorded because of the PS4's stupid HDCP....

PS4: Definitive Edition

Xbox One: Cinematic Edition

Wii U: Powerpoint Edition

Hey, hey hey, if there was a Wii-U version it would be Home Edition XD

Here's a review of the definitive edition of TR.

"The PC version has been gorgeous to behold since its release a year ago and even with their marginally inferior visuals, the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are fantastic value for money at their current prices. The DLC extras don't significantly add to Tomb Raider's brilliance, so unless the only gaming platforms you own are either an Xbox One or a PS4 (or both), this feels like a lot of money to shell out on a game that's nearly a year old."

Pretty much what we expected. Great, but the price is too high.