Awoo.

Bastard Hard Moments in Sonic

Cortez

Yeah, I tried to get into Sonic Battle just to enjoy the story, but because of those damn double (and I swear once or twice TRIPLE) battles, I just got bored of the padding and couldn't be bothered. I think I got as far as Rouge's story.

Getting gold medals in SatSR is hell. I went back to the game a while back with the intention of 100%ing it again, but I decided to stop after getting all silver medals; I did not need that sort of stress.

Also, missions 53 and 54 (I believe) in SADX. The two Ice Cap snowboarding missions. The former, Sonic's mission, is basically down to luck; you have to super-jump off the last ramp at the very end of the level, but I know of absolutely no way to do this intentionally (hell I wouldn't be surprised if it was some odd glitch). If you fail (and you will, repeatedly), there's nothing you can do but go through the whole snowboarding section again for another chance. Tails' mission has you collecting flags, which are small, and doubly hard to hit with the snowboard's controls, and you can't go back for them (the snowboard does not like going uphill, and even if not for that, Sonic will finish the level if you aren't quick). And they're all at the very end of the level, so if you fail (and again, you will, repeatedly), once again, you have to go through the whole snowboarding section for another chance. Another 100% run died because of those two missions (as well as not having any decent chao on hand and not wanting to raise one from scratch, but that's just tedious, not hard).

@ Sean: Didn't have any problem as I found out that once you had your KO bar filled up, just jump on the opponent and RIGHT BEFORE LANDING use the broken Aerial Sonic Boom move and you K.O.ed your opponent and still keep the K.O bar to the max.

But to fill it up was my only problem, after that it was a cake walk.

EDIT:

Almost forgot Sonic Advance 2 to get those speacial Stage rings AND completing them... curse those Stalking Robots....

Edited by Unholy Sønic

@ Sean: Didn't have any problem as I found out that once you had your KO bar filled up, just jump on the opponent and RIGHT BEFORE LANDING use the broken Aerial Sonic Boom move and you K.O.ed your opponent and still keep the K.O bar to the max.

But to fill it up was my only problem, after that it was a cake walk.

Hahahaha you cheating bastard =P

The later special stages of Sonic 2. I can't beat them without using SMC's save states. Also, the Death Egg Zone. Silver Sonic wouldn't be that hard if you didn't have to fight him with no rings. And as soon as you beat him, you have to beat the final boss, whose claws are deadly and you may just jump into them when trying to attack. You have no rings during either fight, and if you die, you have to start from the beginning.

Nope, since Emerl was broken already, his health, moves, and K.O. bar were also broken. I simply used him at my advantage.

The cheat was the ultimate cards from the SEGA Studio right in front of the Bank that you could gain when you entered the passwords.

Besides, blocking a K.O. move that fills yours completely to counter back with your move to K.O. your opponent... isn't that cheating even tho it was part of the game set?

The later special stages of Sonic 2. I can't beat them without using SMC's save states. Also, the Death Egg Zone. Silver Sonic wouldn't be that hard if you didn't have to fight him with no rings. And as soon as you beat him, you have to beat the final boss, whose claws are deadly and you may just jump into them when trying to attack. You have no rings during either fight, and if you die, you have to start from the beginning.

Before he lands... go all the way to the right and you'll be.. lol facing his ass and that part is also vulnerable.. meaning you simply jump on it (lol again) until he dies.

Edited by Unholy Sønic

How to beat Sonic Battle:

1) Heavy Attack opponent into wall

2) Repeat Step 1

3) Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until opponent is dead

4) ???

5) PROFIT!

As for my hard moments:

- Sonic 1's special stages

- Sonic 2's later special stages (before I memorized them =3)

- Death Egg Act 1's mini boss (I rarely EVER beat that boss WITHOUT Super Sonic)

- Sonic 2 GG's first boss (omgshocker)

- Sonic Labyrinth (yes I BEAT that game, it was hard)

- Getting that DAMN 7th Chaos Emerald in any of the handheld games

- Getting the Special Rings in SAdv 2 (I just made a map for every stage)

- (some of) SADX's Missions, such as the ones Dio described

- Beating the later Chao Races in SADX (I'm dead serious when I say that getting that VERY LAST Chao Race emblem was PURE LUCK)

- Getting an A rank in Cosmic Wall Hard Mode (the score requirement is probably the largest in the GAME)

- Getting a CHAOS CHAO! (Managed TWO (Angel and Devil), one was a long time Chao I had which became an Angel Chao, appropriately named 'Angel', then my Memory Card got wiped D'=)

- Mad Space (except Hard Mode, then it's easy)

- Getting Super Sonic in Sonic Riders 1/2

- Getting 5 star rank in every level in SaTBK

- Shadow's 2nd boss fight in SaTBK

And as soon as you beat him, you have to beat the final boss, whose claws are deadly and you may just jump into them when trying to attack. You have no rings during either fight, and if you die, you have to start from the beginning.

Protip: Attack him from the back. Stand at the very right of the boss before he first comes up. When he's gonna drop down on you, two pillars away from the far left end of the stage. When he's lock on to you, just move to the left end of the stage. His little bombs will never be able to hit you. Then it's all a matter of timing your jumps right to jump OVER the flame coming from his jetpack.

It's honestly a lot easier this way since I've always had the incident of glitching through him and landing on his claws. =/

Edited by Black Spy

2) Repeat Step 1

4) ???

5) PROFIT!

ORLY?

I tought it was:

1) Run far to fill the K.O bar

2) Use special (ground or aerial) on opponent

4) ???

5) PROFIT!

Oh well, its the same in the end.

Sonic Riders is the only game Sonic game I have screamed at. Am I the only completist who is totally frustrated at not being able to earn the Gold Medals in either Grand Prix? Goodness, things start easy but it becomes plainly impossible to capitalize on the strengths in every race of the character you are stuck with. Usually for me, I take challenges in stride and, with enough practice, can overcome any of them, conquering the frustration in the process. However, this seems to be an exception, an impassable obstacle.

Another completist challenge is earning the Platinum Medals in Sonic Pocket Adventure - the way some stages are set up, I would have to see it done at The Sonic Center just to believe that it is possible (in particular, Aquatic Relix Act 2).

2) Repeat Step 1

4) ???

5) PROFIT!

It's harder to not want to kill yourself after hours of doing this nonstop.

See, this is the funny thing. All you guys coming up with ways to beat the game easily, it doesn't matter. It still means that you're playing the game. Even if you beat Sonic Battle, you can never win Sonic Battle.

Scrambled Egg's Act 2 Puzzle in Sonic 2 on the gamegear/master system..., lose site of the platform at the end of the level or take a wrong tube and you are stuck, unless you kill yourself with the spikes below.

I'll second the Untouchable trophy one. I still haven't figured out how to deal with the "haters gonna hate" walk yet. Additionally, Sonic 4 has that damn 4th Chaos Emerald. Those bumpers made that the hardest special stage bar none.

I usually stay on one side and go near him when he comes by, right when he does his walk. I went all the way to the side of the stage running away from him, the second he's about to stomp you, spindash and he'll turn around and do his walk towards you again. But he doesn't finish it and just flies up. See if that works.

Sonic Shuffler's AI.... <_<

You mean how it goes from piss easy to Super Smash brothers cruel melee hard? Pretty much D=

CarnivalNightZone.jpg

/thread

I never found this one too hard, although i restarted the game about 7 times until I hit up by accident and saw the barrel move. (i thank my sister for that one, she stepped on the control at one point)

Trying to earn a Gold Medal for Gymnastics on the bouncing trampoline thing in Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games...

I've tried using characters of all types and sizes. From the skinny and tiny ones such Amy and Daisy to the heavy-weights such as Eggman and Bowser. And I can never get lucky with either type.

And also, I could never defeat Knuckles with Emerl in Sonic Battle. The controls in that game are absolutely horrible.

Edited by DarkJedi188

Eh...I might as well put my frustrations in:

Final Rush from SA2,When I got there for the first time...Which when I was a kid, it was frustrating.

The last boss in Riders Zero gravity....I swear! Maybe you might of had a fight that was like a walk in the park, but the CPU for me was always on the edge to make me look like a complete air head.

Sonic shuffles CPU, Yes, Tails was a smarty in the game, Amy was a cheater, and Knuckles always thinks he can climb up to the finish line, and Sonic thinks he's some ace.

Sonic Rushes final boss, I give every last bit until my thumb gains pain, and still eggman manages to keep that robot hitting the surface of the area, making jumping over them a PAIN.

Sonic Advance 2's boss in..I forgot, but it takes place in a Cyber like world full of holograms..Eggman you cheat!

And up next are the more longer explanations of my frustrations (Eh? That rhymes!)

Medals In unleashed: You had this, I had this, almost everyone here...Had this, and no one could escape the dire need of those medals who try to turn the game upside down. The main point in unleashed at daytime is to go to the end of the stage, but you know what? Before doing so, you need to collect enough medals...What medals? Sun medals and Night medals, you want to go to a Day stage, but you need the required amount of sun medals, and sun medals can only be found at night (Hubs and Stages) its possible to find a sun medals I think at day time but I forgot a little bit about that. But some night stages that may have plenty of sun medals will ask you for Night medals, which can be found at Daytime stages and hubs, but at daytime, you are running at the speed of light, the best way to see them is too memorize the layout of the stages, once you do, you are ready to get yourself a medal (Or you got it cause you where lucky, or you had a hunch). To me, this bothers me allot, its not like I wouldn't enjoy a fun challenge...It just seems a bit mandatory...And that way, you are forced to find those scattered demon things Medals..

I think that was the only long frustration explanation :V

Edited by Alex2Chr15TM45

As for my hard moments:

- Sonic 1's special stages

- Sonic 2's later special stages (before I memorized them =3)

- Death Egg Act 1's mini boss (I rarely EVER beat that boss WITHOUT Super Sonic)

- Sonic 2 GG's first boss (omgshocker)

- Sonic Labyrinth (yes I BEAT that game, it was hard)

- Getting that DAMN 7th Chaos Emerald in any of the handheld games

- Getting the Special Rings in SAdv 2 (I just made a map for every stage)

- (some of) SADX's Missions, such as the ones Dio described

- Beating the later Chao Races in SADX (I'm dead serious when I say that getting that VERY LAST Chao Race emblem was PURE LUCK)

- Getting an A rank in Cosmic Wall Hard Mode (the score requirement is probably the largest in the GAME)

- Getting a CHAOS CHAO! (Managed TWO (Angel and Devil), one was a long time Chao I had which became an Angel Chao, appropriately named 'Angel', then my Memory Card got wiped D'=)

- Mad Space (except Hard Mode, then it's easy)

- Getting Super Sonic in Sonic Riders 1/2

- Getting 5 star rank in every level in SaTBK

- Shadow's 2nd boss fight in SaTBK

Wow Black Spy, you actually mentioned a lot of hard parts I intended to post as well...Especially Cosmic Wall's Hard Mode A Rank. I remember getting especially frustrated on the mission because my guide book specifically told me that I only needed to get 50,000 points where really, 100,000 points were required for an A Rank.

Other "Bastard Hard Moments" that come to mind for me and that (I don't think) have been mentioned yet:

Sonic 1-2 and/or with Knuckles: I think getting ALL of the Chaos Emeralds, not just in the handlhelds is hard enough to be considered "Bastard Hard". But then, maybe that's just because I haven't played Sonic 1 and 2's Special Stage in a while and am relying on harsh childhood memories for this one...

Sonic CD: Activating those split second cheat codes at the Title Screen. I HATE IT SO MUCH! Sega, I just want to listen to the music you have made for us. Why do you have to make it so hard to do that?

Sonic 2 (GameGear...Sonic Gems Port): This is FRESH in my mind seeing as to how I Just played the game a few days ago. I was playing Sky High Zone, and the level involves gaps for the player to jump accros. "So it's suppose to be a platformer, no sweat right?" Well, screen was too small for me to see what exactally I was suppose to land on, making the part of the mission luck based. But then again, it wasn't nearly as bad as trying to get those freakin' hangliders to work...

Sonic Fighters/Championship: Fighting games ALWAYS seem to have impossibly hard fights and the fight against Metal Sonic is no exception. Honestly, I have to rely on luck just to beat Metal Sonic. Not only that, but if you want to unlock Super Sonic, you have to play through the ENTIRE campaign as Sonic (although IMO, I think he's the best character in the entire game so it doesn't matter too much) without losing a single round. Not only that, but you MUST win the first round against Metal Sonic or else you wasted your time and have to start over. Lots of rage and disappointment was to had, I never got to play as Super Sonic...Maybe I'll try again one of these days, now that I have played Guilty Gear and am able to sucessfully perform half/quarter moons on fighting games.

Sonic Spinball (Genesis): I could never beat the final stage, even when Sonic Gems starts you out on the final stage after unlocking the game and gives you unlimited continues.

Sonic Heroes: Team Chaotix, the stage when you have to blow out EVERY SINGLE tourch. Maybe not exactally the Hardest moment in Sonic's games, but it's most certainly tedious, ESPECIALLY if you missed a single tourch and have to backtrack/replay the ENTIRE level multiple times. Not Fun.

Also for Sonic Heroes: Those special stages...I hated them SO MUCH. I'll be glad that I will never have to do those EVER again in my life. That is a true "Bastard Hard" moment that I perfer to leave in the dark corner in my mind.

Shadow the Hedgehog: Lost Colony. Ya know, the one hero mission where you had to find EVERY. SINGLE. Artifical Chaos out of 25 in a Huge freakin' level where every room looks Exactally the same. Like the Team Chaotix one, maybe not exctally "Bastard Hard", but it most certainly is a test of one's patience and definantly a scrappy level.

Soinc The Hedghehog (2006): I would say the "High Speed" Sections altogher, while a great idea for the game's play style, it wasn't executed particularly well and resulted in some, rather, unfair deaths and game overs. Particulary Kingdom Valley's Speed Section, which resulted in both my friend's and my own rage quiting to be had.

The Fight against Silver (IT'S NO USE!!1!!) could also become imposible to beat because the game will often glitch and Silver will constantly throw you into a wall with his psychic (THIS WILL END IT!!!!!) powers and not allow you to regain control unless you restart the stage/game or quit.

I also found certain sections in 2006's Last Story to be "Bastard Hard" as well (Silver's section comes to mind). In fact, my friend rage quitted because he simply wasn't having fun anymore and I had to beat the Last Story for him.

Sonic and the Secret Rings: I remember going through the game and progressively getting all of the Gold Medals except for ONE that was on a Evil Foundary side mission (like another user on here). I was constantly stuck on the mission and absolutely refused to get anymore Gold Medals until had got the mission's own Gold Medal. Over time however, I lost interested and simply quit. Unfortunately, I can't remember which mission is was because it's been so long since I have played the game. Maybe I have a reason to return to SatSR now? Hrm...

Sonic Unleashed (Wii Edition): Finally, the last "Bastard Hard" moment I can think of for now, is of course, the infameous Eggmanland. While it's not NEARLY as bad as what I hear about in the HD version, I still found getting an S Rank to be really hard. Ultimately, after endless tries, I finally made that S Rank...and then I never played the level ever again.

...wow, when I entered this topic, I initally thought "Sonic's Way Past Easy, he doesn't have "Bastard Hard Moments"...". I never would have thought of how many memories that this post would have brought up from the dark corner of my mind...Thanks TSS (not sarcasm).

Edited by Goldenlink64

I recommend if anyone has the cash to spare and wants to like Sonic 2 8-bit, download the Master System version off the Wii Virtual Console. A way more fair and enjoyable game waits within. 8D

Eggmanland (Wii)in it's entirety. Especially that night level. It look me literally an hour, not counting the times I died!

Sonic 1 and 4 and Advance 2 Special Stages. I seriously suck at these.

Anything with "collecting all the _______".

I'm going to skip past the commonplace bastard hard moments such as Eggmanland and Chemical Plant and jump to some more obscure ones.

The Blizland Dry Bowser boss battle (second to last boss, y u so hard) from Mario & Sonic 2 wasted so much of my time and so many of my freaking lives (~30). Having Waluigi on your team by that point was a godsend, because Silver was no uuuussseeee to me against that skeletal abomination and his curling bowling prowess. If you didn't bowl anything but strikes, you were pretty much fucked by those last few frames. Those last few frames man. THOSE LAST FEW FRAMES. Watching him totally bomb his last shot once he realizes that it's impossible to catch up to you was so satisfying. It was just....yeeeessssssss. But then you had to face off against Eggman and Bowser. ffff-

The Blue Coin challenge in Egg Factory was also a tad difficult seeing as you didn't have many tries to try and recollect one if you missed it on the first go around. And the expert staff Ghost missions were also are also a total pain. Oh shit son. These motherfuckers are hardcore. Sheesh. The Rivals from the Adventure Tours/Festival are complete pushovers in comparison to these guys. Never have I seen contestants as speedy and agile as them - I've never even come close to defeating one. They flawlessly pull off every trick, turn, and miscellaneous manoeuvre and are completely impervious to any and all course obstacles and attacks by weapons. I've tried besting them as Sonic and the rest of the Speed Types (...and even my Mii in his Omochao Jersey stat boosts) but to no avail. One of these days, expert Ghosts. ONE OF THESE DAYS.

Oh, and an honourable mention goes to Team Dry Bones once they get on a roll. Because once they get on a roll...they get on a roll. Also, Gold Ranking some of the Adventure Tours missions is damn near impossible.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have I mentioned S ranking the second mission in Final Race in Free Riders yet? Cause it's KILLING me X_X

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 1: Scrap Brain´s act.3 long route.

Sonic Unleashed: Eggmanland´s time attack mission.

Sonic CD: Metallic Madness. It took me a long time to beat this level.

Sonic Adventure 2: Security Hall. Also Crazy Gadget, Final Rush,Final Chase, and Cannon´s Core (which i haven´t even beaten)

As others have mostly said...

Mission 42 (Bonanza Bros.) in All-Stars Racing.

Sonic 4 last boss (I got the iPod version first, that was part of the reason it was so hard).

EggmanLand HD.

Most of the Sonic Unleashed DLC (crazy evil shit right there, seriously).

That goddamned snowboard jumping mission in SADX.

Getting a Gold/ Five Star rating on lot of the extra missions in Secret Rings and Black Knight was just plain masochism, too.

End of the World in Sonic 06 was horrific, although most of that was artificial difficulty due to the general stage just being broken.

Have I mentioned S ranking the second mission in Final Race in Free Riders yet? Cause it's KILLING me X_X

I managed to S-Rank everything in Free Riders pretty easily. D: The only ones I had trouble with were the missions where you had to punch X amount of objects.

Edited by Mahzes

Sonic 2 for the game gear just makes me have a seizure out of pure frustration. Not just the last boss, but the whole game itself!

This all over. It is fun but my god, half the game is ridiculous, especially with the difficulty being so RANDOM, and almost all the boss levels being exercises in frustration (oddly, AQUA LAKE was the exception, and that was a tough but cool water level).

Also things like Chemical Plant and the final boss of that game as a kid.

Parts of the fucking SADX fishing levels of course too. Especially the A rank missions.

And Sonic Spinball. The last 2 levels. I never beat Showdown. I mean the first 2 levels were fun, tolerable, and had awesome music, but the rest was ASS starting from the third level.

And getting all the emeralds in Advance 2. And the Sky Canyon boss was gruelling too. Infact, Advance 2 was significantly harder than most Sonic games, often for bad reasons. And I've never got all the emeralds in Chaos or Triple Trouble either. Those special stages are like ten times harder than the rest of the entire game(s).

And most of Heroes's later levels, and then in Shadow, Cosmic Fall/Fail! Like seriously, the camera just goes at the worst possible moments. Central City is also notable in that you CAN'T JUST SIMPLY TAKE THE NEUTRAL ROUTE TO GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE!

Edited by Semi-colon e

Never had too many problems with the classics or handheld series (except when I was younger, for obvious reasons), but it's more with the recent games that tend to be rage-worthy. Things like Eggmanland's Hot Dog Missions (360) and SA2's Crazy Gadget and similar levels easily go on the 'hardest things in Sonic history' list for me.