Awoo.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Patticus

The release date at the end of the trailer says 11/11/11.

Fans of the series are going to be so happy, but as I myself have never played an Elder Scrolls game, I don't know what to think other than that was a really nice trailer.

Here's a map to show where the next game takes place:

1g20w3.jpg

And a much bigger one below:

x1ha1k.jpg

There should be plenty of snow in this one. :)

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OMG freaking yes!!!!!

I've wanted an Elderscrolls V for sooooo long, cant believe its now official!!!! this is definetly the best Sunday ever :D

I frankly don't care about Fallout, but Elderscrolls is something else :P

So buying it on release!

The release date at the end of the trailer says 11/11/11.

Fans of the series are going to be so happy, but as I myself have never played an Elder Scrolls game, I don't know what to think other than that was a really nice trailer.

As a fan of the series, as well as other similar Bethesda games, you can expect a really fun RPG, with an enormous interactive world and story.

Unfortunately, however, Bethesda's games aren't polished, and since it's going to be using the Gamebyro engine like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I'm expecting it to be pretty damn buggy and unrefined. I still recommend you try out some of these games though, because the glitches are usually more funny than they are problematic.

Take for example, this glitch in the beginning of FO:NV.

Amazing.

Anyway, I'm excited for Skyrim and hope it lives up to Oblivion.

lol when everyone cheered and the chat room beside the screen exploded I instantly thought.

"You shmucks, have you not seen what this studio does to their games? Fallout NV is the most buggy and glitched game to be released this console generation, Fallout 3 was also a terrible mess, some of the Fallout 3 DLC packs are so buggy at times it's near unplayable. Oblivion still has serious issues that they never patched out... and you think this title is going to be good?"

Sorry but this studio is a complete joke, their games are always filled with bugs and it's down to their own lazy incompetance that they are, most of the time they just copy the old code from Oblivion into their products, hence why so many glitches carry over.

I'm sure it'll look nice, but I bet it'll be one of the most buggy games you'll ever play.

• Thumbs Up 1

New engine confirmed!

http://twitter.com/#!/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929

And that applies to both console and PC versions.

Wait, something I read on the internet is wrong? IMPOSSIBLE.

Either way, I still have to expect a somewhat buggy experience considering the developers, but it's a relief to know they won't be recycling the engine again.

I swear to god, I don't even care if the game is good overall - if I see that the same bloody infinite 100% Chameleon exploit from Oblivion is still possible with enchanted clothes, I'm not even gonna fuckin' touch it. It's down my natural skill path in these games and it just makes things too gamebreakingly easy for me.

Here's to hoping their supposed new engine shits all over their old ones though. It's a shame all those massive environments are used for such amazingly buggy and unpolished gameplay all the time.

Oblivion was one of the bigger disappointments of my gaming career since I choked myself to death on hype, but in hindsight it was still a fairly good game. Now that I've got a more reasonable idea of what to expect, I expect I'll pick up Skyrim eventually and have a good time with it. I'll be following it with mild interest, I guess.

Edited by Octarine

Fans of the series are going to be so happy,

You sure about that? Fans who started with Oblivion, maybe, but Oblivion was basically a contested sequel when it came to Morrowind fans, many who hated it. There is going to be a massive rift in the fanbase over this game yet again, I'm sure.

But, really, even with a new engine, I am not touching this game with a ten-foot-pole until Bethesda actually gets a decent Q&A department, because their games are notoriously buggy, a reputation they've held since Daggerfall. And even then, I'm on the fence, I didn't really enjoy Oblivion or Fallout 3 much.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

You sure about that? Fans who started with Oblivion, maybe, but Oblivion was basically a contested sequel when it came to Morrowind fans, many who hated it. There is going to be a massive rift in the fanbase over this game yet again, I'm sure.

But, really, even with a new engine, I am not touching this game with a ten-foot-pole until Bethesda actually gets a decent Q&A department, because their games are notoriously buggy, a reputation they've held since Daggerfall. And even then, I'm on the fence, I didn't really enjoy Oblivion or Fallout 3 much.

Really?

I'm just about the biggest Morrowind fan ever. I've logged over 3500 hours playing it and it's expansions, collecting every possible unique item in the game visiting (to the best of my knowledge) every cave, daedric shrine, house etc, reading every book and just plain walking about admiring the shear awesomeness of the scenery and everything in the game, it is,I think, my favourite game ever and this is coming from a guy who is obsessed with Sonic games - but I don't hate Oblivion.

Sure it had nothing on Morrowind when it comes to immersion and depth, I mean you could spend hours upon hours walking from one side of the map to the other in Morrowind yet in Oblivion it would take you maybe what half an hour? Yet Cyrodiil is massively larger than Vvardenfell?!

The voice acting got tedious and alot of the missions were repeatative, I disliked the less imaginative approach to magic (especially taking out my levitate spell! How am I supposed to be a cowardly mage hovering over rats and blasting them now!)

However I do really like Oblivion.

The pure graphics alone make it astounding and a wonder to behold, it really is a beautiful game. Some of the missions are epic like the (thieves guild one?) where you sneak into the imperial palace and the resulting awesomeness that you get when you finally get the Gray cowl! When you go through the oblivion gates you get a real sense on fear and intimdation. I love Oblivion, Knights of the Nine, and everything in the shivering isles right up until the point of

ruining Sheogorath for me

That being said I wouldn't mind a game made similarly to it only with nice new locations, however I would have liked to have gone to Summerset or Valenwood and seen more of the Altmer or Bosmer culture rather than more humans. I am still super hyped for TES:Skyrim though!

Edited by The-Master-Board

Note that I didn't say ALL Morrowind fans hated Oblivion. I said MANY of them do, you're obviously not one of them, haha. Oblivion caused a rather nasty rift in the fanbase, you see.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Note that I didn't say ALL Morrowind fans hated Oblivion. I said MANY of them do, you're obviously not one of them, haha. Oblivion caused a rather nasty rift in the fanbase, you see.

True. I guess it is kinda similar to the Sonic series then hey!

There is pretty much nothing I dislike in the Elder Scrolls series except how they made Sheogorath not Sheogorath, that pissed me off.

It'd be nice to see some gameplay of TES V though. The trailer seems to suggest.....some dragon that breathes dead people awake?? That's all I got.

I forget exactly how I got Oblivion, I think someone got it for me as a gift, but going in not expecting much of anything I really enjoyed it, not in a "BEST GAME EVER!" way but it wasted a lot of hours and was a lot of fun. Interested to see where this one goes. Also while it's not happening any time soon, I still think the Oblivion games would be great for a multiplayer series. >_>

• 2 months later...

This game looks freaking fantastic. I spent 160 or so hours playing Oblivion, I really can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

Looks amazing. I don't know if I'll try it though, since I've never finished Oblivion. But it does look like a great game.

I also like how they added choir to Morrowind's theme.

• 8 months later...

This needs to be brought back up now!

The game is coming out in 2 more days!

And it looks amazing! Who here has been able to buy it already, and any interesting or recent news?

Skyrim was made available for preload on Steam last night, which I have done.

In other news,

Edited by pooshoes

Never played an Elder Scrolls game before; I've barely read, watched or played anything related to Tolkien in my life, but apparently this game is supposed to be the greatest thing ever, so I caved and bought it. Wise? Probably not, but I have a fairly empty weekend ahead of me and a dime to spare. I'm not really that into Bethesda, but something with this level of hype is worth a study at least. I just finished the first chapter, so its far too soon for me to hold any final judgements, but I'm impressesd in some ways and left wanting by others. My mediocre computer might skew my judgement a little, as the graphics engine doesn't seem to like it. Its most annoying infraction on my machine is stretching polygons into humongous, flickery planes across the sky in open environments. But barring my issues, I already have a strong open-world feel from this game, which is nice. And the opening sequence with the dragon was pretty kick ass. But as I should have expected, remembering my Fallout 3 experience, the voice acting and character animation is atrocious. Really, I don't know how a game that revolves around deep, immerssive environments should be allowed to get away with such shallow character presentation. It feels like this world was meant to be appreciated from above and afar, not up close. Again, this is only the beginning of the game so I still should reserve some judgement, but one thing I doubt will change is the UI. Look developers, just because your UI is intuitive on consoles doesn't mean it will feel right on PCs. Yeah, in retrospect, I probably should have bought it for Xbox.

In my friend's excitment for Skyrim I made this wallpaper:

379975_2138563427564_1350504313_31775065_369445520_n.jpg

I may get this since my laptop can run it

• Thumbs Up 2