Awoo.

Mass Effect 3

Patticus

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Fingers crossed that some Paragon decisions come back to bite Shepard in the ass. Since this is the conclusion to the story, they can actually have huge things like...maybe curing the Genophage leads to the Krogan taking over the galaxy, or maybe the Rachni get indoctrinated all over again since the Reapers just need to control the queen to control the whole species, or maybe brainwashing the Heretic Geth leads to the decimation of the Quarians.

I like Paragon Shepard, but s/he's very short-sighted and idealistic. Renegade Shepard is an asshole who's already made the galaxy a nastier place to live in in Mass Effect 2, but surely some Renegade choices will pay off. I don't want to believe Bioware is going to play off Paragon as Good and Renegade as Evil - having Shephard be a hero either way was one of the defining elements of this morality system as opposed to the black-and-white Jedi/Sith system of Mass Effect's spiritual prequel.

Naturally, I'll be boycotting all Mass Effect related threads and news come November sixth. Gotta shun those spoilers like the plague, man.

Goddamn, dat trailer... I was total Renegade in the first one, Paragon in the second... 3rd, guess I'll just be a bipolar asshole.

I was on the fence but it looks like I'm going to be preloading this sometime later today.

Edited by Silencer226

Very few video games out there can depict a typical genre to be so hellish, so intense, so exciting, and so brilliant.

Okay, so I'm gasming here. I just can't wait to play this game. That Turian councilor better be ready to kiss my ass when I save him from the reapers.

That Turian councilor better be ready to kiss my ass when I save him from the reapers.

If you get hailed by the Turian Councilor, and he asks you to save him from the Reapers, then I really, REALLY hope there's a Renegade interrupt that makes Shepard respond with air-quotes.

Speaking of which, in terms of the Paragon actions biting you in the ass, we kinda got a bit of that in ME2.

For example, if you saved the Council from the attack, yeah they're grateful and they give humanity a spot on the Council with them, but they offer no more help and flat out dismiss the blatant Reaper that came and nearly killed them as a Geth. Bonus points for having a Geth flat out tell them that there's no way they could have made Sovereign despite how advance they are, and yet they claim its words as "suspect".

So no help from the Council.

If there's ANYTHING paragon that should bite me in the ass in ME3, it should be the destruction of the Collector Base at the end of 2. With Cerberus seemingly working with the Reapers (regardless of whether or not you destroyed the base), that completely made me second guess whether I should let the Illusive Man have the base. If they want to really get me by the balls, make it to where that base actually WOULD have helped the war, but without it it's that much harder to win.

• Thumbs Up 1

I caved and got the Digital Deluxe Edition, can't wait to preload this later tonight. I've never used Origin before so I hope it's not a bad service.

I caved and got the Digital Deluxe Edition, can't wait to preload this later tonight. I've never used Origin before so I hope it's not a bad service.

Eh, Origin isn't terrible, but it compared to Steam, it's shit.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Fingers crossed that some Paragon decisions come back to bite Shepard in the ass. Since this is the conclusion to the story, they can actually have huge things like...maybe curing the Genophage leads to the Krogan taking over the galaxy, or maybe the Rachni get indoctrinated all over again since the Reapers just need to control the queen to control the whole species, or maybe brainwashing the Heretic Geth leads to the decimation of the Quarians.

I like Paragon Shepard, but s/he's very short-sighted and idealistic. Renegade Shepard is an asshole who's already made the galaxy a nastier place to live in in Mass Effect 2, but surely some Renegade choices will pay off. I don't want to believe Bioware is going to play off Paragon as Good and Renegade as Evil - having Shephard be a hero either way was one of the defining elements of this morality system as opposed to the black-and-white Jedi/Sith system of Mass Effect's spiritual prequel.

I'll say the opposite and hope that the Renegade decisions better severely bite you in the ass.

As long as both options allow you to win and survive the fight against the Reapers, I don't think there's much of a problem. I doubt Bioware would be THAT simple regarding the Paragon/Renegade paths.

Here's another part of Paragon that might bite you in the ass. Do you remember that Asari Eclipse mercenary who was hiding in another room while you were searching for Thane? You had a Renegade QTE that could have you kill her right then and there, despite her saying that she didn't know about how cruel Eclipse was.

If you let her lived, it turns out that she was lying just so she could get away and was just as cruel as the mercenary unit she signed up in. So being paragon here turned out to be the mistake, as you probably should have killed her.

Who knows what would happen if you actually let her live despite her crime.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Allowing a single rookie asari mercenary is not as detrimental as a choice of 2 genocides of creatures that were not responsible for the disruption. Look, Kant's philosophy won over the Renegade's Ubermensche. For once, being good is not so stupid since killing off the Rachni took away a valuable ally, killing Wrex thus having his incompetent brother as the king of the Krogan took away the most physically powerful race in the galaxy as an invaluable asset, provoking the geth and the quarians to go to war with each other during an inopportune time will cost you, and giving the collector base to a human interest terrorist group ran by a hypocritical despot with the same eyes as the Reaper controlled Saren is just poor judgement.

Allowing a single rookie asari mercenary is not as detrimental as a choice of 2 genocides of creatures that were not responsible for the disruption.

Not saying it is. But I wouldn't be so quick to judge that letting her live wouldn't matter much. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't matter one way if I was, but I'm just providing more examples of where Paragon doesn't get you where you want.

Look, Kant's philosophy won over the Renegade's Ubermensche. For once, being good is not so stupid since killing off the Rachni took away a valuable ally,

Or to play devil's advocate, it inadvertedly repeats the problem that happened centuries before humanity achieved space flight by having the Reapers take control of them.

killing Wrex thus having his incompetent brother as the king of the Krogan took away the most physically powerful race in the galaxy as an invaluable asset,

I'd point that to a careless player not putting points towards his Paragon or Renegade. Doesn't both options allow Wrex to live?

provoking the geth and the quarians to go to war with each other during an inopportune time will cost you,

This would be the player being careless or just being a dick or wanting to see how the Reapers will win in the end.

and giving the collector base to a human interest terrorist group ran by a hypocritical despot with the same eyes as the Reaper controlled Saren is just poor judgement.

Now this is where I'm hoping it conflicting instead of being so one-sided. The Illusive Man's eyes seem to almost blow any sense of him being mysterious if giving him the collector base so obviously makes it a bad choice, because unless their is an option for the player to side with the Illusive Man in the end (and there might), I just find it to be too obvious from a hundred miles away.

Of course, no telling until we play the game...tho I've seen what looks to be concept art that tells me I'm wrong on this part.

There's also the fact that following the pure Renegade philosophy, meaning to ignore anything that isn't integral to your main mission, meant your Shepard would end up dead at the end of Mass Effect 2. Then again I can't personally sympathize. I'm in the vein that being a complete asshole and not making nice with your "allies" isn't going to save the universe from an army of sentient machines. It's a choice, not neccessarily a "smart" choice. The fact that failure is an option makes it much more fulfilling than every dialouge branch being an auto win.

I was a bit worried my save didn't carry over after seeing Udina on the council, then found out he's there regardless. So hopefully all is well, I do know my paragon stats are high from stuff I did in the previous game so yeah, everything is good I suppose. *shrug*

Origin sucks, and this game crashed on me twice, other than that, its been awesome... not like I like the game or anything though.

EDIT: AND HOW THEY FUCKED UP IMPORTING YOUR CHARACTER I'LL NEVER KNOW! *Starts new game*

Edited by Silencer(Tsundere Edition)

EDIT: AND HOW THEY FUCKED UP IMPORTING YOUR CHARACTER I'LL NEVER KNOW! *Starts new game*

And I thought that was just me.

Dammit Bioware, how did this happen! I was lucky I could remember my main features of my character.

EDIT: Just got to the council....I'm still waiting on the Turian Councilor to KISS MY ASS! He just now realized that the threat is real, and I still haven't gotten a smooch on my ass-cheek yet!

Shouldn't Bioware have tested the file importing, like, a million times before the game was released? None of them encountered this problem? Anyway I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have the issue once I pick up the game in the next few hours. Though at this point I doubt it. And I really have no memory about how I set the sliders the last time I did it.

I'm pretty sure it's only the PC version right now though, I could be wrong. There's an issue with trying to import the look of a ME1 Shep too ME3. If you recreated Shep in 2, then you shouldn't have any issues.

I'm pretty sure it's only the PC version right now though, I could be wrong. There's an issue with trying to import the look of a ME1 Shep too ME3. If you recreated Shep in 2, then you shouldn't have any issues.

There's been reported cases on the 360 version.

Oh, well then sucks. I got the PC version, despite the fact that I had the other 2 on 360. Found some site dedicated to ME saves that have the exact same choices I made anyway. I also just go with generic Shep on my first playthrough because, whenever I use the character creator I tend to make abominations. I save that for the second playthrough where I play as Sheperd Kong, gorilla faced war hero.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

Too much bullshit really put me off the title. For one thing, the nickle and dime DLC stuff is retarded, from the random weapon preorder crap to the From Ashes stuff which was obviously cut from the whole game (we knew about it via leaks last year...so that art team crap is junk). I will enjoy getting all that jargon for free thanks to the internet if I ever manage to buy the game.

Demo felt all kinds of stupid and felt regressive from ME2. Animations and Facial features are laughable for a 2012 game. After watching my friend play the game, the dialogue seems better, but Shepard says most of the stuff on his own. When you are prompted you get about two choices, which is backwards.

Oh and since I was pretty pissed a good number of your choices really don't matter in the long run. I spoiled myself that much. The stupid recon endings end up as a total ass save for continuity problems.

It's not an awful game by any means. It's hardly the strongest shooter though, and I expected more improvements elsewhere. Too much junk just adds up for me to give a damn about finishing it.

Bioware saying the Prothean is not detrimental to the game... well playing that mission, I beg to differ...

Not like I wanted to have a Prothean squadmate or anything...

Edited by Silencer(Tsundere Edition)

Bioware saying the Prothean is not detrimental to the game... well playing that mission, I beg to differ...

He's pretty damn integral. Moreso than other squadmates. It's why the DLC stuff is pretty much bullshit. He was cut so EA can make $10 off your ass because they know you'll pay for it. I imagine more of this kind of stuff is going to surface later down the line bundled with more multiplayer stuff, which is honestly not that meaty in the first place.

Okay, so far so good. Regarding the Renegade and Paragon, the choices are a HELL of a lot more gray. I'm not exactly talking about any Charm or Intimidating here, but the more simpler choices.

Aria asked me to help unite the 3 top mercenary forces under her and I figured we could use as much help as possible in trying to stop the Reapers. I agreed without hesitiation, and that turned out to be a renegade choice. Refusing them seems like a paragon choice, but that seemed incredibly stupid when we had a nigh-unstoppable force raging at several of the galaxy's doorsteps. No doubt my decision is going to come with some difficulty, but I have yet to find out how.

In later news, I was was being an instigating idiot again by going to a Reaper controlled system and pressing the scan button to see how the Reapers would come at me. Boy, they came in pretty fast, and somewhat scary when you hear their foghorn from hell as they approach you...I'm thinking about doing that again for the hell of it. laugh.png

Still waiting to get my ass kissed, but I'm torn on having the Turian councilor kiss it or the Asari councilor. After 2 games, the Turian is finally giving me some help, but now the Asari councilor wants to be the bitch and drop out of a summit that could help. I'm sorry, but we have million year old Eldritch Abominations that are out their killing billions of people galaxywide and when we could all stand together and fight you want to drop out? Ho ho, maybe me and the Turian councilor can settle on a drink while you suck my balls. :P

He's pretty damn integral. Moreso than other squadmates. It's why the DLC stuff is pretty much bullshit. He was cut so EA can make $10 off your ass because they know you'll pay for it. I imagine more of this kind of stuff is going to surface later down the line bundled with more multiplayer stuff, which is honestly not that meaty in the first place.

I'd have to disagree. While yes, both the locale and the squadmate are a big treat for anyone that's followed the series from the start, in the "grand scheme" of things it doesn't look like the squadmate has anything to offer in terms of war effort aside from his ability to shoot enemies, at least at the early point of the game I'm at.

Javik makes it clear he's a soldier, not a scientist, and has no idea how to complete the Prothean device.