Awoo.

The Derailment of Knuckles the Echidna

Kuzu

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but the Master Emerald hasn't been mentioned or alluded to in almost ten years.

LOLWUT

It was Knuckles's primary reason for being in both Rivals games, which were in 2006 and 2007. I THINK it was a key player in Chronicles, but I haven't played it so I don't know. If you really wanna reach, it was the basis of Knuckles's special move in All Stars Racing, which was this year.

Speaking of, that's probably why the M.E. won't ever really be kept on Knuckles's person, because it's the equivalent of having Sonic have the Chaos Emeralds right from the start of the plot...and keeping them for a change.

Master Emerald: Second rate Mac Guffin primary to the lore of a side character, based on seven preexisting Mac Guffins that already pretty much do whatever the plot needs them to do.

Second rate or not, I always thought it was a pretty good idea to have a Mac Guffin token capable of canceling out the series primary Mac Guffin's. It makes the Chaos Emeralds that much more flexible.

LOLWUT

It was Knuckles's primary reason for being in both Rivals games, which were in 2006 and 2007. I THINK it was a key player in Chronicles, but I haven't played it so I don't know. If you really wanna reach, it was the basis of Knuckles's special move in All Stars Racing, which was this year.

I suppose whether spinoffs count or not is just a matter of preference and opinion. Although, interestingly... Iizuka wrote for both of the Rivals games.

That throws my argument up into the air more than anything. Now I don't know what not to expect.

HERE'S A SIMPLE SOLUTION

Chaotix 2. Have Knuckles go on an adventure or something with the Chaotix. Reveal he's been paying them in antiques from the Island for them to protect the Emerald when needed.

Saw that one coming.

Metal Sonic: Robotic foil and doppelganger of the hero and general fan favorite, brought back to action for surprising effect as not only a returning nemesis but the true mastermind behind a generally predictable plot.

Chaotix: A quirky bunch of misfits returning to add some variety and another team to help round out preexisting ones. Why make new characters* for another team when we can just snatch some of the old ones and call it a day? Besides, they're cool as shit.

Very good.

Now let's look at something else: their absence in a the games since 2004 and 05 respectively, bar any spin-off titles (because I can guarantee including them would shoot down your whole argument regarding the ME as Aquaslash called out).

It's going on six to seven years since they've made any appearance with barely any allusion or reference. Going by your claim that M.E. has been retconned out of the series, wouldn't these character's absence be seen in the same way despite being 4 years behind or are they still around in the series?

By the way, let me add one other thing. Has everyone noticed just how different Colors and Unleashed are to the other main games? Not only in their thematic elements, but with their focuses being on the plot at hand rather than the events of the past, whether it be the old school, new school, or Iizuka's own school.

Have you also noticed how much it doesn't use the other characters like Knuckles, and thus barring itself from involving in the old school material outside gameplay, while continuing to further make up plot elements that they've been doing for who knows how long as opposed to using the material it already has from the start to achieve a plot that could be just as dynamic?

And furthermore, how would a mere reference of the M.E. be something that focuses on the past? You mean to tell me that it can't make itself useful in something involving the present?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Very good.

Now let's look at something else: their absence in a the games since 2004 and 05 respectively, bar any spin-off titles (because I can guarantee including them would shoot down your whole argument regarding the ME as Aquaslash called out).useful in something involving the present?

My argument's already gone. I didn't know Iizuka was still recognizing the material that Yuji had established before him, I was just going off by how his take on the main series seemed to preclude ties to the old lore.

But knowing what I do now, the possibility has become a lot less unrealistic.

You win, and I fail at life. Good game.

You win, and I fail at life. Good game.

While appreciate this little "victory", that bold part was flat out unnecessary, dude.

I don't engage in debates here to belittle anyone just to better myself. You're not stupid just because you lose an argument.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

While appreciate this little "victory", that bold part was flat out unnecessary, dude.

I don't engage in debates here to belittle anyone just to better myself. You're not stupid just because you lose an argument.

No worries, I'm just funnin'. ;)

Looking into Iizuka some more, I found out he himself has been chartering the lore ever since (probably)S3&K, and up to today. Naka didn't have shit to do with it, contrary to what I thought before.

Hooyah lack-of-research. I've been hunting for the white whale even though I've been riding him the whole time; I guess you can call me "Captain Asshab".

No worries, I'm just funnin'. ;)

Looking into Iizuka some more, I found out he himself has been chartering the lore ever since (probably)S3&K, and up to today. Naka didn't have shit to do with it, contrary to what I thought before.

Hooyah lack-of-research. I've been hunting for the white whale even though I've been riding him the whole time; I guess you can call me "Captain Asshab".

Its alright afro we got nothing but respek.

Anywho now that we've sorted out the M.E. situtation, and that Iizuka is aware of its existence, its just a matter of when, rather than how, because this is Iizuka we're talking about he can do anything.

In anycase back to one of my ideas from before, Knuckles having other rivals besides Sonic.

Knux has the rivals, just needs the application.

Rouge makes a perfect foil to Knuckles; sly, manipulating and has a tendency to go rogue when it comes to doing her job if something shiny catches her eye, where as Knuckles is more headstrong, though easily manipulated, but is firm on doing his duty no matter what.

Sonic, while not a rival per-say, but is also sort of a foil to Knuckles, even if not directly.

There aren't really a whole lot of characters that Knux tends to butt heads with, but then again, it's not like he NEEDS any, since Sonic and Rouge kinda fit well into his character scheme.

I agree with the tone of the majority of replies.

Knuckles isn't knuckles without the whole "Angel Island and the Master Emeralds" theme. It did do my head in a lot when they took that element away from him in some games and instead he just turned into a stubborn little sillybilly that was just out to get people...and rouge >_>

So yeah, if they allowed him to have that element of being a Guardian of the Master Emerald rather than just an echidna then that would be great.

Perhaps a storyline where the Master Emeralds powers are used in some kind of dark scheme or perhaps used against Knuckles to make him go against his job? Iunno, but something along those lines would be off a great help me thinks.

Chaotix 2;

What if one day the M.E. suddenly disappears and Knuckles just doesn't know what the fuck, so as a matter of redeeming his "you all owe me a life debt" coupon he enlists the aid of the Chaotix to track down the top five most likely suspects to help clue him in on the gem's whereabouts.

It'd be heavily exploration based with an extra focus on the simultaneous use of each member's different abilities to progress through areas where fisticuffs alone won't cut it, making it a game that makes you think tactically and intuitively as you figure out where to apply each character's skill set to each facet of the situation.

Chaotix 2;

What if one day the M.E. suddenly disappears and Knuckles just doesn't know what the fuck, so as a matter of redeeming his "you all owe me a life debt" coupon he enlists the aid of the Chaotix to track down the top five most likely suspects to help clue him in on the gem's whereabouts.

It'd be heavily exploration based with an extra focus on the simultaneous use of each member's different abilities to progress through areas where fisticuffs alone won't cut it, making it a game that makes you think tactically and intuitively as you figure out where to apply each character's skill set to each facet of the situation.

Depends, Considering Mighty isn't coming back(I heard some shiz about his designer owning the rights), that leaves Vector, Espio, and Charmy. I already have an idea how Espio would play, but would Knux and Vec be different?

Depends, Considering Mighty isn't coming back(I heard some shiz about his designer owning the rights)

Mighty is a SEGA property and SEGA very much owns his rights. He makes semi regular appearances in the US comics.

Depends, Considering Mighty isn't coming back(I heard some shiz about his designer owning the rights), that leaves Vector, Espio, and Charmy. I already have an idea how Espio would play, but would Knux and Vec be different?

Hmm, I'm thinking maybe some abilities to do with music and distraction. Maybe his voice could shatter windows, overload electrical equipment and stun enemies?

In the end he'd prolly be a bruiser too, but more of the "tank" variety while Knux is the one who brings the real damage.

Mighty is a SEGA property and SEGA very much owns his rights. He makes semi regular appearances in the US comics.

Well theres some reason why he hasn't been around.

Depends, Considering Mighty isn't coming back(I heard some shiz about his designer owning the rights)
Sega owns the rights to Mighty, otherwise Archie would not be able to use Mighty in the Sonic comic.