Awoo.

The Dreamcast Collection

Badnik Mechanic

A few weeks ago, a listing appeared on Gamestop simply entitled "Dreamcast Collection" at the time, Sega wouldn't comment on what it was or even if it was official.

However, it turns out that the Dreamcast Collection is indeed real! It's due out February 11th (according to the listing) will be priced at around $30 (again according to the listing) and will be on PS3 and Xbox 360.

But it wasn't official, until now. In the new issue of Game Infomer, Sega VP Alan Pritchard has confirmed that it is real and will be released very soon.

Now for the big question... what is going to be on it?

Oh urm.. well... How much do you want to bet that it's DC games already on the PSN/XBL? Reason being, we've not had a snippet of any 'new' DC title in the works, but a Feb release? Should have seen or heard something by now.

Source

Edited by Hogfather

Sounds like Sega secretly has a plan. A plan that will involve the resurrection of the Dreamcast so they can finally take over the world and destroy all the next gen consoles just for being petty and dull next to the Dreamcast. And offer us cookies for some reason.

Sillyness aside (:P) I really hope it is a full Dreamcast collection. I would want to play a lot of Dreamcast games after all. I never got the chance to play much of them in the first place. D: So this will be a nice thing to come out. :)

I have a few ideas of games that will be released on the collection.

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Shuffle probably not unfortunately

Shenmue

Crazy Taxi

and Space Channel 5 just to name a few

Please SEGA, give us a Move and Kinect controlled Samba De Amigo experience!

Also, just like the old Genesis/Mega Drive collection, why the heck is this not on the Wii? I'm sure the console could probably handle this one on two discs if storage is an issue. I'm going to get it on the PS3 but it does seem a little unfair, and this may be shooting my expectations too high, but wouldn't the 3DS be able to handle this as well?

Now we wait for fans to complain about another collection

If true I wanna see Jet Grind Radio, Skies of Arcadia and a Kinect enabled port of the original Milo, Seaman.

If it has any mix of the following I will be happy:

-Sonic Adventure 2 (the original Dreamcast version, yes I never have owned it so I'd buy it. >_>)

-Sonic Shuffle (with some loading time fixes it could be quite fun)

-Shenmue 1 & 2 (only played one, need to play 2, these NEED to be on this)

-Jet Set Radio (NEEDS to be on too)

-Illbleed (*puppy dog face*)

-Crazy Taxi (it's likely I know)

-Phantasy Star Online (not going to happen but it would be AMAZING)

-Skies of Arcadia Legends (...I would love them forever)

-Seaman (DO IT)

-Virtua Tennis (any of them is fine, though the best is 3)

-Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram (likely won't happen, but I can dream)

-Cosmic Smash (won't happen but would be amazing if they did)

-Chu Chu Rocket! (Addicting!)

-Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of the Future (a bit flawed but would love to have it again)

-Puyo Puyo Fever (it originally came out on Dreamcast)

And though they never would, if they could go into the really obscure stuff...

-Napple Tale: Arsia in DayDream (one of the least known best platformers to ever exist, published by SEGA)

-Rent a Hero No. 1 (a great Adventure game SEGA developed for Dreamcast almost no one knows about)

Some other things, but some I don't know if SEGA has the rights too.

-

Holy shit I would pay like a million dollars for a U.S. release of Segagaga. In all seriousness, I will view this with cautious optimism. Sega could do something really awesome with this, porting the best versions of each game and upgrading it for the hardware. They could also go all Sonic Adventure DX on us. The verdict is still out.

Illbleed probably wouldn't be on the cards, though. It was published and developed by two companies that both went out of business (sorta. The situation with Jaleco is complicated) within the past 5 years or so.

Edited by Tornado

Holy shit I would pay like a million dollars for a U.S. release of Segagaga.

Edited by SuperStingray

Part of me would find it very teasing if PSO was included... simply because if it was the DC version it'd only be episode 1 presumebly. D8

But yes, even though I'd rather have a port of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle because that's the one I know, I would love to have a less aging copy of Sonic Adventure 2 in general. I would buy this just for that, anything else is a bonus.

Part of me would find it very teasing if PSO was included... simply because if it was the DC version it'd only be episode 1 presumebly. D8

If I were a bigger gamer back in the day there's be loads of Dreamcast games I want to play. However as it stands there's only three. Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Crazy Taxi.

I reckon this compilation will come with Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi (two games already re-released on PSN and that), and not come with Sonic Adventure 2 (which hasn't been released on PSN and that). First they've already been ported but not yet available to those who have no internet connection, second if Sonic Adventure 2 was to appear on this compilation, we would have heard something behind the scenes by now. News of Sonic Adventure's port to XBLA and PSN came roughly 5 months before it was eventually released, and it's less than two months before this alledged collection is to be launched.

It may well happen as reported, but with so little time to go and how we only just knew about it, it's either a red-herring or it was a pretty well-kept secret, and Sonic Adventure 2 might also be a well-kept secret, though I'll be surprised if someone from any big Sonic website hadn't somehow found out about it and subsequently getting reported here. On the other hand it isn't happening and I won't be spending my £20-£30 on this. No other game apart from the three I mentioned wins the Dreamcast over for me.

Seeing this DC compilation finally making it, is just simply sweet.

I just hope Sega can work something out with other parties to mix it up.

did anyone even play ep. 2? from my brief experiance with blue burst everyone seemed to be just doing towards the future runs like always

I know I spent far too much time on ep 1 simply levelling up so I could comfortably play ep2 and ep4 because they were so much cooler looking (then around that time got bored of the core gameplay and didn't play it again until Schthack - which meant starting on ep 1 again lol).

I think ep2's complexity in comparison was a bit weird though... wouldn't surprise me if most people played ep1 out of nostalgia for it's simple quick-fix gameplay.

Given the price point of only $30, then it will indeed just what they're already putting online (Sonic Adevnture, Crazy Taxi, Bass Fishing, Space Channel 5).

Just put Jet Set Radio up on PSN already, Sega. Thrown in Skies of Arcadia and Chu Chu Rockect, and I'll even rebuy the Sonic games.

No need to buy this when all the games are probably online.

In fact, unless it has SA2(battle) or Sonic Shuffle or RUSH 2049 with added online features it's a no go for me.

So I guess it's a no go for me XD

No need to buy this when all the games are probably online.

In fact, unless it has SA2(battle) or Sonic Shuffle or RUSH 2049 with added online features it's a no go for me.

So I guess it's a no go for me XD

Well, if you don't already have any of them, this is the cheapest way to get them.

Which is good for me. :)

Here's a more positive outlook: Maybe it's some games that certainly AREN'T DLC on 360 and PS3? They've decided there are Dreamcast games popular enough by word of mouth to be enjoyed but don't think there'll be enough profit from putting them online seperately so... they're putting them in a compilation and charging for the lot to make sure they get profit?

Gimme Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 2, Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Shuffle and Skies of Arcadia... and man, I'd eat this collection up.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's real

It contains Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5: Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing, and it's coming to Xbox 360, PC and PC Download. No PS3 version is listed. It's out February 25th 2011 in Europe and February 22nd in North America, February 24th in Australia and February 25th in New Zealand. Was seriously hoping they wouldn't just stick the XBLA and PSN titles onto a disc. I was hoping for more games than these :(

SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that a packaged compilation of classic titles from SEGA’s popular Dreamcast™ console will hit retail shelves on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and the PC. The Dreamcast Collection will be available on February 25th 2011 in Europe and February 22nd in North America, February 24th in Australia and February 25th in New Zealand.

The Dreamcast Collection includes the fan favourites Sonic Adventure™, Crazy Taxi™, SEGA Bass Fishing™ and Space Channel 5™: Part 2. Players will get to enjoy four very different Dreamcast experiences, from hopping behind the steering wheel of Crazy Taxi, to taking things a little slower by luring in their fish before catching them hook, line and sinker with SEGA Bass Fishing. Alternatively, take over as intergalactic news reporter Ulala in Space Channel 5: Part 2 and dance your way past the evil Rhythm Rogues, or make it all about speed in Sonic's first Dreamcast outing, Sonic Adventure!

SEGA’s Dreamcast Collection features enhanced graphics for both platforms versions, providing an even more engaging experience. In addition to this, achievements and online leader boards will be available for each game providing a competitive edge and allowing players to prove their skills!

“The Dreamcast console is still remembered as a pioneering console for online gaming,” commented Gary Knight, VP of Marketing at SEGA of America and SEGA Europe “We are delighted to be able to offer to our large community of dedicated fans a collection such as Dreamcast Collection for them to enjoy old favourites on this generation of consoles”.

Dreamcast Collection will be available in Europe in February 2011 for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PC and PC digital download.

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/entertainment/44364-sega-dreamcast-collection-for-pc-and-xbox-360

It's real

It contains Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5: Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing, and it's coming to Xbox 360, PC and PC Download. No PS3 version is listed. It's out February 25th 2011 in Europe and February 22nd in North America, February 24th in Australia and February 25th in New Zealand. Was seriously hoping they wouldn't just stick the XBLA and PSN titles onto a disc. I was hoping for more games than these :(

http://www.itwire.co...pc-and-xbox-360

I thought something with the world "collection" would normally have more than 5 titles. Especially titles that were already re-released =P

Edited by Jetronic