Awoo.

The Dreamcast Collection

Badnik Mechanic

I thought something with the world "collection" would normally have more than 5 titles. Especially titles that were already re-released =P

And it's only 4 titles. Pathetic. But hey, at least I guessed right. And I think I'll actually buy this. I hate digital releases.

EDIT: Oh hahahahahahaha! I just realised something! This will be the PC version of SADX being re-released on PC but being called the Dreamcast version. Oh SEGA, you so silly funny lazy as shit.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sega, stop whoring out SA1 and actually make a game that can live up to it's name/fix all the problems that was wrong with it.

Sega, stop whoring out SA1 and actually make a game that can live up to it's name/fix all the problems that was wrong with it.

Sonic Colors?

Sonic Colors?

Despite the many good things about it, it's still more of an Unleashed 2 rather than a SA styled game. That and there seems to be a disturbing lack of 3D in that game.

Eh, I'll still get it. I've grown an addiction to Sega collections. That and achievements. :P

But man, my KINGDOM for a Saturn collection.

...and there's no PlayStation3 version, because? :huh:

Oh well. At least I won't be tempted into spending money I don't have. While I absolutely hate digital releases, just like Blue Blood said, it looks as though my only option is to get decent internet and a PlayStation3 with a bigger HDD. Because otherwise there's no way for me to own and complete Sonic Adventure.

The other games, I'm not that fussed. I've played Space Channel 5 - Part Two, and being a fisherman and/or taxi driver holds no appeal.

Still, how come SEGA hates the PlayStation3 so much lately?

I'm worried for the 20th Anniversary now. :(

Damn, I'm torn on this.

I'll admit, I was sort of toying with the idea of getting the XBLA version of Sonic Adventure, but that was because it's much quicker and easier to load up a downloaded game from the HDD than it it to open a case, take out a disc, put the disc in, close the tray, etc etc. If I'm going to be getting it on a disc anyway, the only convenience factor would be a wireless controller (saving me having to get and plug a GC controller into my Wii.

I doubt I'll bother with this, realistically. Even if they actually added widescreen support to SADX... actually, they might have me sold if they did that. Only might. Crazy Taxi will no doubt have the lame 'new' soundtrack and all the licensed buildings removed, so there's no point in that, and I'm really not fussed about the other two games on there.

...and there's no PlayStation3 version, because? :huh:

Oh well. At least I won't be tempted into spending money I don't have. While I absolutely hate digital releases, just like Blue Blood said, it looks as though my only option is to get decent internet and a PlayStation3 with a bigger HDD. Because otherwise there's no way for me to own and complete Sonic Adventure.

The other games, I'm not that fussed. I've played Space Channel 5 - Part Two, and being a fisherman and/or taxi driver holds no appeal.

Still, how come SEGA hates the PlayStation3 so much lately?

I'm worried for the 20th Anniversary now. :(

I find it pretty odd, too. The original GameStop listing that leaked this collection supposedly listed a PS3 version as well as an Xbox 360 version, and HMV has been listing both an Xbox 360 version and PS3 version for the past week.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=&pGroupID=0&adultFlag=false&simpleSearchString=dreamcast+collection&primaryID=0&btnSubmitSearch.x=0&btnSubmitSearch.y=0

Doesn't make sense for SEGA to release PSN version's and then not release a disc bundle.

I find it pretty odd, too. The original GameStop listing that leaked this collection supposedly listed a PS3 version as well as an Xbox 360 version, and HMV has been listing both an Xbox 360 version and PS3 version for the past week.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=&pGroupID=0&adultFlag=false&simpleSearchString=dreamcast+collection&primaryID=0&btnSubmitSearch.x=0&btnSubmitSearch.y=0

Doesn't make sense for SEGA to release PSN version's and then not release a disc bundle.

Well, without wanting to sound too much like a crazy conspiracy theorist, there's something unsettling about how ignored the PlayStation3 has been lately. I mean, take the recent trilogy of Sonic the Hedgehog games. They were designed to solidify Sonic's shaky reputation before the 20th Anniversary kicked in, and yet only one (Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode One, a download exclusive which appeared absolutely everywhere else, too) was available on Sony hardware. Meanwhile, both major Nintendo consoles got the exclusive Sonic Colours, and the Xbox360 celebrated the launch of Kinect with Sonic Free Riders, another exclusive.

Oh, and anybody remember Sonic Unleashed, when the PlayStation3 version arrived late? With the worst framerate, fuzzy visuals and content missing?

And now The Dreamcast Collection, which I admit to seeing purely as a Blu-Ray of Sonic Adventure, is being offered only to people with a Microsoft console... and to PC gamers?! It makes almost zero sense. Especially when you consider how many copies of the PC version of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, the last major multiplatform Sonic game, were sold.

Scary stuff. This is a major year for SEGA. Their mascot turns twenty, and they've slowly built up a catalogue of impressive and critically acclaimed videogames of late (Alpha Protocol, Vanquish, etc.) which means people no longer think of the 1990s and failed home consoles. And whether intentional or not, they've been snubbing the PlayStation3 lately. I admit to personal bias, being a Sony gamer for many years and with no Xbox360 or Nintendo Wii to my name, but it could also be a dangerous and costly mistake for SEGA. So much so that I might just drop them an email later.

Hmm. Sounds like it's going to be another half-assed collection of ports, like Sonic Classic Collection was.

The only game on there that really interests me is Space Channel 5 Part 2 as I've never gotten around to playing it. The only other would be Sonic Adventure, and I've already got that on Dreamcast and Gamecube (and if the reviews of the XBLA version are to be believed then it hasn't aged well at all)...

Might pick it up on PC if it's cheap. If not, it's another missed opportunity I'd say. The Dreamcast had a lot of classics that deserve some love.

Well, without wanting to sound too much like a crazy conspiracy theorist, there's something unsettling about how ignored the PlayStation3 has been lately. I mean, take the recent trilogy of Sonic the Hedgehog games. They were designed to solidify Sonic's shaky reputation before the 20th Anniversary kicked in, and yet only one (Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode One, a download exclusive which appeared absolutely everywhere else, too) was available on Sony hardware. Meanwhile, both major Nintendo consoles got the exclusive Sonic Colours, and the Xbox360 celebrated the launch of Kinect with Sonic Free Riders, another exclusive.

Oh, and anybody remember Sonic Unleashed, when the PlayStation3 version arrived late? With the worst framerate, fuzzy visuals and content missing?

And now The Dreamcast Collection, which I admit to seeing purely as a Blu-Ray of Sonic Adventure, is being offered only to people with a Microsoft console... and to PC gamers?! It makes almost zero sense. Especially when you consider how many copies of the PC version of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, the last major multiplatform Sonic game, were sold.

Scary stuff. This is a major year for SEGA. Their mascot turns twenty, and they've slowly built up a catalogue of impressive and critically acclaimed videogames of late (Alpha Protocol, Vanquish, etc.) which means people no longer think of the 1990s and failed home consoles. And whether intentional or not, they've been snubbing the PlayStation3 lately. I admit to personal bias, being a Sony gamer for many years and with no Xbox360 or Nintendo Wii to my name, but it could also be a dangerous and costly mistake for SEGA. So much so that I might just drop them an email later.

I can see your point, but to be fair they are releasing Virtua Tennis 4 as a PS3 exclusive this year with 3D and PS Move support. Vanquish was built on PS3 first, which really helped the PS3 version compared to Bayonetta, where the PS3 version turned out poor. It would be good to see a PS3 exclusive Sonic game after last years exclusives on other platforms, and I think they would have if PS Move would have been doing something entirely different, but oh well, we'll see if they'll do something with the PSP2.

Only four games? SEGA I'm pretty sure the PS3 could handle more tha-... oh wait, what? There's no PS3 version? Well good job SEGA, you just lost a customer on this one.

Bwahaha. How embarassingly lazy! It's the same 4 games that are/will be downloadable, except in a disc - convenient if you have internet issues but not deserving of the "Dreamcast Collection" name. Come on, can't you ask Sony for one of those PS2 -> PS3 devkits and try to add Ecco at least? ;P

I only want Space Channel 5 out of the four, so I'll get that one individually on PSN. Cheaper and faster to boot.

Bwahaha. How embarassingly lazy! It's the same 4 games that are/will be downloadable, except in a disc - convenient if you have internet issues but not deserving of the "Dreamcast Collection" name. Come on, can't you ask Sony for one of those PS2 -> PS3 devkits and try to add Ecco at least? ;P

I only want Space Channel 5 out of the four, so I'll get that one individually on PSN. Cheaper and faster to boot.

They wouldn't do that, since they're not even bringing this collection to PS3. I don't know how they can call this a collection with just 4 games on it.

I wish I could act all disappointed, but this is exactly what was expected...though I'll still never understand why Bass Fishing of all games was picked. Really?

Oh well, just one less thing to buy this year. Sega, call me when you guys get around to the real classics like Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue. No PS3 version anyway, though I'm more likely to get them off PSN regardless.

It'd be on PSN though, which is all I need. The "collection" is a rom/iso/installer dump alternative.

I'd like to try out that DC & PS2 Ecco game, so I wouldn't mind a release for that on PSN & XBLA. I hope any future DC releases aren't just lazy PC ports with no widescreen etc. The games and this "collection" so far are a big kick in the balls to DC fans.

Space Channel 5 is pretty cool. I have the rest on DC and no real desire to play them yet again, in collection form, however.

Sega Bass Fishing without the fishing controller would suck ass.

Boxart, product description, screenshots and no disc version for U.S. PC owners

Box art

Europe

Xbox 360

DCSOE_KEYART_360_584x800JPGv5.0_med.jpg

DCSOE_KEYART_360_584x800JPGv5.0_lrg.jpg

PC & PC Download

DC_NoXBoxlogo_med.jpg

U.S.

Xbox 360

DC_360_FRNT_med.jpg

PC Download

DC_360_FRONT_flat_1920x1080_med.jpg

12 screenshots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaeurope/sets/72157625820598116/

Product descriptions

European description

Dreamcast Collection

SEGA’s most beloved Dreamcast games in a must-have collection!

Experience four of SEGA’s classic hits from the Dreamcast era in this must-have collection. Speed through uncharted territories in Sonic Adventure™, zip around town in Crazy Taxi™, fend off menacing invaders in Space Channel 5: Part 2™ or get your nostalgia fix with Sega Bass Fishing™

These games are sure to delight old and new gamers of all ages and feature enhanced graphics for both platforms versions for an even more engaging experience.

In addition to this, achievements and online leader boards will be available for each game providing a competitive edge and allowing players to prove their skills!

Sonic Adventure™

Join Sonic and friends as they embark on their epic quest to stop Dr, Eggman’s most villainous scheme.

Crazy Taxi™

Weave your way through crowded streets, across sidewalks in a frantic race to deliver passengers to their destinations.

Space Channel 5: Part 2™

Ulala, the stylish heroine, battles against the Morolians using the gift of dance and a sassy attitude.

SEGA Bass Fishing™

Enjoy the great outdoors without ever leaving the house as SEGA Bass Fishing brings an ultra-realistic fishing experience into your living room!

U.S. description

The Dreamcast is back in a must-have collection!

Relive the Dreamcast experience with four of Sega’s classic hits from the Dreamcast era. Speed through uncharted territories in Sonic Adventure, zip around town in Crazy Taxi, fend off menacing invaders in Space Channel 5 or get your nostalgia fix with Sega Bass Fishing! These games are sure to delight old and new gamers of all ages and include HD graphics, wide screen support, Avatar Awards, leader boards and more. This is a must-have collection for Dreamcast fans!

Sonic Adventure

Take off on an adventure of epic proportions with Sonic and his friends – run through exotic paradises, raise your own pet Chao, and collect the seven Chaos Emeralds to stop the evil Dr. Eggman!

Crazy Taxi

Are you ready to make some crazy money? Deliver your passengers, do it with style, and earn extra money on the side – Crazy Taxi is a wild ride, here we go!

Space Channel 5

Reporting for Duty! Help star reporter Ulala fight the invading Morolians and dance her way to victory in this classic Dreamcast rhythm game!

Sega Bass Fishing

Fish! Grab a boat, pick your lure, and start fishing for the biggest bass you can find – Enjoy the great outdoors without ever leaving the house!

UK:

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/dreamcast-collection/?t=EnglishUK&gseoid=dreamcast-collection

U.S.:

http://www.sega.com/games/dreamcast-collection/?t=EnglishUSA&gseoid=dreamcast-collection

I like how the U.S. description says the collection features widescreen support and the Sonic Adventure screenshots show it's in the same border state as the XBLA & PSN release.

5354341946_9d22392fe7_b.jpg

No disc version for U.S. PC owners

Dreamcast Collection

available on

PC - 25/02/2011

Xbox 360® - 25/02/2011

PC Download - 25/02/2011

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/dreamcast-collection/?t=EnglishUK&gseoid=dreamcast-collection

Dreamcast Collection

available on

Xbox 360® - 02/22/2011

PC Download - 02/22/2011

http://www.sega.com/games/dreamcast-collection/?t=EnglishUSA&gseoid=dreamcast-collection

Wait, Space Channel 5 Part 2? I may get this just for that but... I didn't even know Part 2 WAS on DreamCast. I thought it was PS2 only. Mind blown (just slightly).

EDIT: Oh wait, derp you said these are also downloadable seperately... when is Part 2 coming out in europe then coz I've been looking on XBLA now and then and don't see it.

Edited by JezMM

The sheer laziness of this is hilarious. Releasing a port of the PC version of SADX on the PC as a Dreamcast game? Pathetic. And worst of all, they still haven't done widescreen. It's a single line of code! That's all they need to edit!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, Space Channel 5 Part 2? I may get this just for that but... I didn't even know Part 2 WAS on DreamCast. I thought it was PS2 only. Mind blown (just slightly).

EDIT: Oh wait, derp you said these are also downloadable seperately... when is Part 2 coming out in europe then coz I've been looking on XBLA now and then and don't see it.

Space Channel 5: Part 2 just says Early 2011 on SEGA's site, and the same goes for SEGA Bass Fishing.

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/space-channel-5-part-2/

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/sega-bass-fishing/