Awoo.

New powers for Sonic characters.

yoshimar

It would be interesting if Tails would grow more tails when he's in his 'Super' form after getting all the Chaos Emeralds. I would love to play as a nine-tailed Tails.
...what possible purpose could that serve?

Not really, there's the obvious we all know from that series, there's Ninetales the Pokemon, and Kyubimon from Digimon.

Though Tails growing more Tails in Super Form is just stupid.

Sorry to back this up, but the concept of a nine-tailed fox (or multiple-tailed foxes in general) is nothing original- it's part of Japanese mythology, so nobody in recent years really 'came up with' the idea.

I think the general myth is that foxes grow an extra tail every thousand years or something. I'd like to think that doesn't apply to Tails, though! :lol:

But yeah, I can't say I'd like the idea of Tails growing more tails. That, and I'd not even consider Super Tails canon, anyway.

Sorry to back this up, but the concept of a nine-tailed fox (or multiple-tailed foxes in general) is nothing original- it's part of Japanese mythology, so nobody in recent years really 'came up with' the idea.

I think the general myth is that foxes grow an extra tail every thousand years or something. I'd like to think that doesn't apply to Tails, though! :lol:

But yeah, I can't say I'd like the idea of Tails growing more tails. That, and I'd not even consider Super Tails canon, anyway.

You will never know, knowing that SEGA brought back references to the classic Sonic games in Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors, I would not be surprised if Hyper Tails (as well as Hyper Knuckles) would make a comeback. And there is nothing wrong with seeing Tails turn into a nine-tailed fox in a future game. Considering all the Dragon Ball Z references in Sonic, it might be possible for them to use references from another anime in the series.

I would not be surprised if Hyper Tails (as well as Hyper Knuckles) would make a comeback.
There is no Hyper Tails.

And there is nothing wrong with seeing Tails turn into a nine-tailed fox in a future game.
But what point is there? And why bring it up in a topic about new powers?

Considering all the Dragon Ball Z references in Sonic, it might be possible for them to use references from another anime in the series.
It wouldn't even be an anime reference! Kitsunes are from Japanese folklore; it's like saying King Boom Boo must be a reference to Casper.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic has super speed, Tails can fly, Knuckles can break boulders and digga tunnel digdiggatunnel, Shadow can warp time and space, Amy can fabricate hammers, read tarot cards and apparently turn invisible (as does Espio), Blaze has fiyah powah, Silver can move things with his MMMIIIINNNNNDDDDDD, Metal Sonic is a copier, Charmy uses his butt as a deadly weapon, Vector blows explosions out of his mouth, but I think we can overpower them somehow!

I... guess you could give Rouge a nuclear bra or something. Otherwise it seems that we have some pretty diverse abilities with the main cast. No need for new abilities, yo.

And Bean should poop bombs.

Uh Isn't sonic, metal sonic and shadow basically the same person just designed differently? I mean Shadow and sonic have been able to do each others moves since Sonic Adventure 2. And Metal can copy anyone.

Uh Isn't sonic, metal sonic and shadow basically the same person just designed differently? I mean Shadow and sonic have been able to do each others moves since Sonic Adventure 2. And Metal can copy anyone.

Not at all.

Metal Sonic wasn't mainly designed to copy anyone, just Sonic to defeat him (eggmans view) and to prove that he is the true Sonic (Metal Sonic's view)

As for Sonic and Shadow... Sonic can't use chaos spear while Shadow can't use Sonic wind. Not only that but their Chaos Control are on a different level, Shadow can use it very well without a Chaos Emerald and Pefectly with one while Sonic cannot use it if he doesn't have a Chaos emerald at hand.

Not at all.

Metal Sonic wasn't mainly designed to copy anyone, just Sonic to defeat him (eggmans view) and to prove that he is the true Sonic (Metal Sonic's view)

As for Sonic and Shadow... Sonic can't use chaos spear while Shadow can't use Sonic wind. Not only that but their Chaos Control are on a different level, Shadow can use it very well without a Chaos Emerald and Pefectly with one while Sonic cannot use it if he doesn't have a Chaos emerald at hand.

Well Metal has Sonic/Shadow's basic Spin attack. But I think Metal can only copy one ability at a time.

What defines a "perfect" Chaos Control?

To put it simply, Shadow has regular use of Chaos powers while Sonic doesn't. Metal Sonic hardly has any predefined abilities so the most we can assume is that they're just like Sonic's.

What defines a "perfect" Chaos Control?

The distance at wich he can teleport, the amount of energy used (Sonic was exhausted with one chaos control not far from where he was).

The time it took to use it; instantly or with concentration. Teleport himself or an object or multiple people/object or both.

All these, Shadow can do it perfectly with a Chaos control but Sonic won't be able to do all of that even with a chaos control.

Shadow, without a chaos emerald can do half of what I mentioned: can teleport himself far without much energy (look ShTH), used instantly and can use it on object or other people. Sonic can't.

The distance at wich he can teleport, the amount of energy used (Sonic was exhausted with one chaos control not far from where he was).

The time it took to use it; instantly or with concentration. Teleport himself or an object or multiple people/object or both.

All these, Shadow can do it perfectly with a Chaos control but Sonic won't be able to do all of that even with a chaos control.

Shadow, without a chaos emerald can do half of what I mentioned: can teleport himself far without much energy (look ShTH), used instantly and can use it on object or other people. Sonic can't.

True dat.

The distance at wich he can teleport, the amount of energy used (Sonic was exhausted with one chaos control not far from where he was). ]

I don't want to start a pissing match over this (the series makes it pretty clear that Shadow's command of Chaos Control is greater), but I do resent this statement here. The distance Sonic actually traveled with that Chaos Control was hardly minuscule, and he further did so with a fake Chaos Emerald, which makes the entire thing mute anyway. Even Shadow was left stunned at that feat.

Chaos Powers are tricky to measure, but both Sonic and Shadow have displayed unique abilities that the other has so far been unable to match.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't want to start a pissing match over this (the series makes it pretty clear that Shadow's command of Chaos Control is greater), but I do resent this statement here. The distance Sonic actually traveled with that Chaos Control was hardly minuscule, and he further did so with a fake Chaos Emerald, which makes the entire thing mute anyway. Even Shadow was left stunned at that feat.

Chaos Powers are tricky to measure, but both Sonic and Shadow have displayed unique abilities that the other has so far been unable to match.

Well Shadow can stop/slow time with Chaos Control, never seen Sonic do that, and like he said Shadow can teleport at will, while Sonic needs an emerald to do so.

And Sonic probably had to use his own energy as a substitute to the lack of Chaos energy in the fake emerald, which explains why he was so exausted when Knuckles found him.

But this is just fanon so don't take my word for it, if someone has a better explanation go ahead and speak up.

Speaking of Shadow's powers, let's talk about a pretty controversial one; His inhibitor rings. Now while 06 was erased from the timeline, it pretty much confirmed Shadow can remove those bands if he ever wants to go all out at anytime, even the comics seemed to have picked up on this. I'm trying to figure out a way where it doesn't make Shadow so OP.

Isn't this like an emergency case when he rmoves those rings?

I didn't play Sonic '06 so I can't say much about it tho it does bugs me a bit when I saw the video that he was... kinda of the same level as Super Sonic.

Speaking of Shadow's powers, let's talk about a pretty controversial one; His inhibitor rings. Now while 06 was erased from the timeline, it pretty much confirmed Shadow can remove those bands if he ever wants to go all out at anytime, even the comics seemed to have picked up on this. I'm trying to figure out a way where it doesn't make Shadow so OP.
Hmf, good luck. Shadow's already one of the strongest characters in the series without that ridiculous power limiter shit.

Hmf, good luck. Shadow's already one of the strongest characters in the series without that ridiculous power limiter shit.

Not really, I'll admit he is powerful but not invincible. He's as fast as Sonic, we know this. Not as strong as Knuckles. And its shown he can be beaten.

Not really, I'll admit he is powerful but not invincible. He's as fast as Sonic, we know this. Not as strong as Knuckles. And its shown he can be beaten.
I didn't say he was invincible, I said he was one of the most powerful characters in the series. He can do just about everything that Sonic can (and Sonic is one of the most powerful characters in the series, too), he's got superhuman strength (he can flip buses with one hand in ShtH), and he can warp time and space to his will to teleport, slow time, and fire destructive blasts of energy. And on top of all that we're supposed to accept that he can become even more powerful than that just by taking off some jewelry? Na-ah, not gonna fly.

I'd be willing to accept a write-in purpose for those power bands, like maybe GUN makes him wear them to minimize collateral damage. Like with them his chaos powers are at manageable levels, and without them it's more like a chaos blast from his own game.

I didn't say he was invincible, I said he was one of the most powerful characters in the series. He can do just about everything that Sonic can (and Sonic is one of the most powerful characters in the series, too), he's got superhuman strength (he can flip buses with one hand in ShtH), and he can warp time and space to his will to teleport, slow time, and fire destructive blasts of energy. And on top of all that we're supposed to accept that he can become even more powerful than that just by taking off some jewelry? Na-ah, not gonna fly.

Ya know depending on how you portray these abilities, there not as powerful as you make them out to be. Knuckles can lift buses over his head, and toss them with ease. He can only stop/slow time with an emerald, which he doesn't always have, other than that its just normal short distance teleporting. And did you think they can give taking off those rings a drawback? How about limiting it to only 30 seconds, or have Shadow be severely crippled afterwards using such power(Ya know something Sonic X did..good?)

I'd be willing to accept a write-in purpose for those power bands, like maybe GUN makes him wear them to minimize collateral damage. Like with them his chaos powers are at manageable levels, and without them it's more like a chaos blast from his own game.

That's why I like what the comics did, he can only use Chaos Blast after he takes those rings off, and he was clearly exhausted afterward.

I'd be willing to accept a write-in purpose for those power bands, like maybe GUN makes him wear them to minimize collateral damage.

If the games and Sonic X versions of Shadow were able to use Chaos Control without any Emeralds nearby that would be a new power. In current games and Sonic X canon, Chaos Control is DEFINED as the ability to use the Chaos Emeralds to warp time and space (technically it is the ability to use the power of the Chaos Emeralds as Chaos Control can be used using a fake Emerald with the same wavelength and properties as a real one). This means that Chaos Control requires the power of at least one Chaos Emerald in the games, and warping time and space without a Chaos Emerald's power is not Chaos Control.

- Shadow profile, Adventure2 manual: "Shadow has a special ability called 'Chaos Control' which allows him to warp time and space using Chaos Emeralds"

- Sonic, Adventure2 cutscene: "It's not his speed, he must be using the Chaos Emerald to warp."

- Shadow, Adventure2 cutscene: "It was a Chaos Emerald, wasn't it? But... there's no way you could have activated the Chaos Control... using an Emerald that's fake."

- Shadow profile, Heroes manual: "...and can use a technique known as 'Chaos Control' to distort time & space using Chaos Emeralds."

- Shadow, Sonic06 cutscene: "With a Chaos Emerald's power, I control time and space"

- Shadow profile, Sonic Channel website: "He is given the ability of Chaos Control to distort time and space using the Chaos Emeralds"

- Shadow profile, Rivals website: "Possessing the power to use Chaos Emeralds to perform Chaos Control..."

Also of note: The power of an Emerald can be harnessed without physical contact. The needed proximity is unknown.

- The Emeralds' ability to affect all of South Island in the original games.

- Numerous Super transformations never see any physical contact, yet the Emeralds gravitate from where ever they are toward the user(s): Adventure2, Shadow, Unleashed (Unleashed has the biggest distance yet)

- Shadow did not touch the 3 Emeralds in Rouge's hands when he warped himself and her off of Prison Island before it exploded (and maybe warped up to ARK in that same jump) in Adventure2.

- Super Sonic, Adventure2: (referring to FinalHazard) "Where does he get all that power? Is this the power of the Chaos Emeralds?" yet the Biolizard never touched any Emeralds

- Black Doom never touches them in his 7-Emerald-full-powered Chaos Control warp of the Black Comet onto the planet's surface, in Shadow's game - in fact they were orbiting Shadow's head

The Sonic X version of Shadow's Chaos Control requiring Emerald power is even more ironclad since it not only lacks the plotholes the games often introduce (especially in gameplay) it also said in his profile:

Shadow profile, Sonic X: "He also has the ability to create Chaos Control with just one Chaos Emerald"

For the Games and Sonic X versions of Shadow to be able to use Chaos Control without at least one Emerald nearby, would completely contradict these official quotes. (The Archie comics version of Shadow can use Chaos Control without Emeralds because the Archie-verse Emeralds get their power from the Chaos Force and that Shadow has his own link to it - the Chaos Force does not exist in the Games and Sonic X, instead those versions of the Emeralds turn thoughts into power)

If the games and Sonic X versions of Shadow were able to use Chaos Control without any Emeralds nearby that would be a new power. In current games and Sonic X canon, Chaos Control is DEFINED as the ability to use the Chaos Emeralds to warp time and space (technically it is the ability to use the power of the Chaos Emeralds as Chaos Control can be used using a fake Emerald with the same wavelength and properties as a real one). This means that Chaos Control requires the power of at least one Chaos Emerald in the games, and warping time and space without a Chaos Emerald's power is not Chaos Control.

Also of note: The power of an Emerald can be harnessed without physical contact. The needed proximity is unknown.

The Sonic X version of Shadow's Chaos Control requiring Emerald power is even more ironclad since it not only lacks the plotholes the games often introduce (especially in gameplay) it also said in his profile:

For the Games and Sonic X versions of Shadow to be able to use Chaos Control without at least one Emerald nearby, would completely contradict these official quotes. (The Archie comics version of Shadow can use Chaos Control without Emeralds because the Archie-verse Emeralds get their power from the Chaos Force and that Shadow has his own link to it - the Chaos Force does not exist in the Games and Sonic X, instead those versions of the Emeralds turn thoughts into power)

That would make sense if it wasn't for the fact he was clearly using Chaos Control without an emerald is his game(No not the opening cutscene), in the last story. At this point Black Doom has all seven emeralds, and Shadow NEEDS to use Chaos Control to get to him, so all of you just said is destroyed by this fact. Black Doom even says the emeralds AMPLIFY Chaos Control, he never said they were required.

He was created with them. And it's not like he wears them because they're pretty.

He wears them because he was designed with bands around his wrists. You could say he changed them if it's really an issue.

And not to be a Shadow hater or anything, but am I the only one who thinks Chaos Control needs to go? It's such a specific and stupid power with a bad name.

And not to be a Shadow hater or anything, but am I the only one who thinks Chaos Control needs to go? It's such a specific and stupid power with a bad name.
Bad name, maybe, but I see no reason to get rid of it. It's his defining ability, and I can see it working quite well in gameplay if they ever do it right (by stealing the laser wisp power).

That would make sense if it wasn't for the fact he was clearly using Chaos Control without an emerald is his game(No not the opening cutscene), in the last story. At this point Black Doom has all seven emeralds, and Shadow NEEDS to use Chaos Control to get to him, so all of you just said is destroyed by this fact. Black Doom even says the emeralds AMPLIFY Chaos Control, he never said they were required.

Several problems with this:

1. Sonic gameplay is full of contradictions - for example, Cream the Rabbit can barely lift her own weight while flying in Sonic Advance 2, then in Sonic Heroes she can lift herself, Amy Rose and even the half ton Big the Cat indefinitely if she only moves vertically and doesn't move horizontally

2. Despite gameplay being bad proof your example doesn't actually contradict the established canon, it is proven that physical contact is not needed to harness Emerald power (I said this above with proof), if you watch the end of the opening Final Way cutscene, Doom floats away - he wasn't that far from Shadow during the level so Shadow could easily draw power from the Emeralds Doom had

And at no point did Doom talk about having no Emeralds for Chaos Control, all specifically Doom said having more Emeralds gives more power to Chaos Control, and his only point was to explain why he needed all 7; so according to what Doom said

0 CEs = 0 power for Chaos Control

1 CE = 1/7 of full power

2 CEs = 2/7 power

3 CEs = 3/7 power and so on until

7 CEs = full power

The a few plotholes are outweighed by how just about every game that explains Chaos Control defines it as using Emerald power