Awoo.

Chris Thorntyke Discussion

KirbyGamer91

I remember Sonic saying he just felt he owed him for Sonic saving his life, but I think Sonic just said that to be cool, that's how he is. Don't forget he cried at the very end when he finally left.

Also, with regards to "He should have asked for attention!", his parents were away all the time, he just got used to it. Not that I'm saying he was severely depressed, but the more depressed you are, the more likely you are to just not care or make any effort to fix your problem.

Plus, he may have abandoned his friends for Sonic somewhat, but don't forget that Sonic is a lot more fucking cool than his friends were. He's only 12. Not only that but Sonic seemed to support him and accept him in a way his friends didn't show any sign of. They really were "just his friends". Sonic was his absoloute best friend, by sheer amazement at first, but they did get to know and trust each other greatly.

Plus, he may have abandoned his friends for Sonic somewhat, but don't forget that Sonic is a lot more fucking cool than his friends were.

I don't see what your point is. Is that supposed to justify his actions or something? Sonic is cool, so fuck everyone else? If anything, that just makes him seem like more of a petty asshole than he already was.

I don't care how old he was: He still had friends before Sonic showed up, and he still proceeded to act like none of them existed anytime Sonic was away. Strictly speaking, I can't sympathize with someone who completely forgets about everyone who ever cared about him just to go hang out with some cool guy.

Not only that but Sonic seemed to support him and accept him in a way his friends didn't show any sign of.

Cue season two opening, where the friends he abandoned were helping him build something that would allow Chris to abandon them again. Its pretty obvious that they supported him in his actions even though anyone with eyes can tell he didn't really want to be around them.

Edited by Tornado

By the way, that's a female. Not that I have anything against females working in the game industry. It's just that, most of them like cutsie things.....

Gender stereotyping much? I'm a big hairy mustached man, and I like cutesy things too. I much prefer the simplistic stylized look to the gritty realistic look. It's far more befitting of this series in my opinion.

I don't see what your point is. Is that supposed to justify his actions or something? Sonic is cool, so fuck everyone else? If anything, that just makes him seem like more of a petty asshole than he already was.

I don't care how old he was: He still had friends before Sonic showed up, and he still proceeded to act like none of them existed anytime Sonic was away. Strictly speaking, I can't sympathize with someone who completely forgets about everyone who ever cared about him just to go hang out with some cool guy.

Cue season two opening, where the friends he abandoned were helping him build something that would allow Chris to abandon them again. Its pretty obvious that they supported him in his actions even though anyone with eyes can tell he didn't really want to be around them.

The season two opening isn't season one. What's your argument for his friends not showing that much care for him then? They weren't exactly begging to come and hang round his place all the time. And besides, if I recall correctly, didn't Chris go through the portal alone because he'd rather test it himself than risk his friends or family getting killed/teleported to god knows where if it went wrong?

Gender stereotyping much? I'm a big hairy mustached man, and I like cutesy things too. I much prefer the simplistic stylized look to the gritty realistic look. It's far more befitting of this series in my opinion.

I agree totally. The animals are cartooney, Eggman is cartooney, the people should be cartooney. Unleashed was the first game where I actually cared about the NPCs and wanted to talk to them, and can even remember the names of my favourites. I didn't even talk to the boring rigid robots that were the NPCs of Adventure and 2006.

I agree totally. The animals are cartooney, Eggman is cartooney, the people should be cartooney. Unleashed was the first game where I actually cared about the NPCs and wanted to talk to them, and can even remember the names of my favourites. I didn't even talk to the boring rigid robots that were the NPCs of Adventure and 2006.

Though on that note, even the robots were cute in Unleashed. The Egg Fighters in the Eggmanland lobby were full of personality, and confirmed my belief that all of Eggman's robots were intentionally-programmed to be self-aware "people." I guess Eggman gets lonely.

Maybe we could just make the guy a villain. A suave, debonair, mustache twirling villain. Then the side that hates him and the side that loves him are both happy.

I dunno, maybe Eggman needs an heir or something. :lol:

Though on that note, even the robots were cute in Unleashed. The Egg Fighters in the Eggmanland lobby were full of personality, and confirmed my belief that all of Eggman's robots were intentionally-programmed to be self-aware "people." I guess Eggman gets lonely.

I agree there too. In fact I would love it if in the next game they could program idle robots to react to one an other and chat and things. I've been obsessed with such an idea after noticing in Eggman's little FMV scene in Shadow the hedgehog, one robot looks to another while Eggman stands tapping his foot, and the other one responds with a little shrug as if they're saying "What's up with Eggman?" "I dunno D=". I'd love to see this sort of interaction randomly generated during gameplay.

EDIT: I've realised we're off-topic... hell I'm gonna make a topic to discuss this further methinks.

Edited by JezMM

The season two opening isn't season one.

So?

What's your argument for his friends not showing that much care for him then?

I never said they didn't care about him.

They weren't exactly begging to come and hang round his place all the time.

Considering he didn't give them the time of day when he was with them, its doubtful they would have felt wanted when he was at home. Seriously, Sonic spent more time with Chris' friends over the course of the series than Chris did.

And besides, if I recall correctly, didn't Chris go through the portal alone because he'd rather test it himself than risk his friends or family getting killed/teleported to god knows where if it went wrong?

I don't believe he wanted anyone to come with him anyways.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, because you don't seem to be getting my main point: Chris had friends. Sonic showed up. Chris hung out with Sonic instead. When Sonic left/wasn't around, Chris bitched about not having friends.

That is the issue here, and the only defense you've thrown up is that such asshole behavior on Chris' part is acceptable because Sonic was cooler and Chris was young.

Somehow I don't think this will help much, but I've heard that in the Japanese version of the show, Chris actually tells Sonic that he feels guilty about how everyone thinks he's nice, but he's really a selfish child, and that this got cut from the 4kids version.

gritty realistic look.
Where are you getting this grittiness trait from? Does Chirs look gritty and realistic? What about Maria, does she look gritty?

It's just a matter of opinion. Back to Chris. "I hate him with a homicidal passion". I'm pretty sure that's what spax would say.

So?

I never said they didn't care about him.

Considering he didn't give them the time of day when he was with them, its doubtful they would have felt wanted when he was at home. Seriously, Sonic spent more time with Chris' friends over the course of the series than Chris did.

I don't believe he wanted anyone to come with him anyways.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, because you don't seem to be getting my main point: Chris had friends. Sonic showed up. Chris hung out with Sonic instead. When Sonic left/wasn't around, Chris bitched about not having friends.

That is the issue here, and the only defense you've thrown up is that such asshole behavior on Chris' part is acceptable because Sonic was cooler and Chris was young.

Well, to the "So?" at the start, I said, his friends were never all that supportive of him or that close to him, and you argued against this with a bit from season 2, when I was talking about their friendship at the very start of season 1. It was through Sonic they all became such good friends to end up still hanging out as adults.

I think when Chris moaned about not having friends he was being overdramatic... but the point still stands he probably meant he didn't have any friends as good as Sonic was. And as mentioned by Blazey, even Chris eventually became aware of how selfish he was and felt sorry for it after he realised. He's a character with faults, and he eventually admits and apologises for them... I guess all I can say is I'm presumebly just more forgiving towards his character than you are.

And as mentioned by Blazey, even Chris eventually became aware of how selfish he was and felt sorry for it after he realised. He's a character with faults, and he eventually admits and apologises for them...

I get the impression that the 4kids dub made a lot of characters seem a lot more unlikable than they really were.

Rouge in the Metarex saga comes to mind...(Spoilers for that storyline ahead)

When Molly dies in the Japanese version, Rouge cries out her name...and then just looks down with her eyes close, with a very hurt, emotionally broken expression. In the dub, Molly's death is changed to just running away, and Rouge's reaction is much more cold and distant.

I guess all I can say is I'm presumebly just more forgiving towards his character than you are.

My conception of Chris, at least at this point, is that he's like a Rorshach ink blot. You see what you want to see. Your mileage may vary, in other words.

I used to have a grudge against him...but it took a lot more energy than I was willing to expend. Better to look on the bright side in this case, at least for me.

I can stand the idea of Sonic and the gang hanging out with a "normal kid" that the young audience can relate to, since that is a pretty common kids cartoon trope that everyone from the Transformers to the My Little Pony's have had to put up with. But Chris completely stole the spotlight in a way that few of his counterparts from other cartoon series do, so that made me dislike him (and he is a bit of a whiny bitch as well...)

Edited by batson

he is a bit of a whiny bitch as well...)

I guess if Chris is a bitch, Sonic is a pimp?

...I'm terrible. :lol:

I can stand the idea of Sonic and the gang hanging out with a "normal kid" that the young audience can relate to, since that is a pretty common kids cartoon trope that everyone from the Transformers to the My Little Pony's have had to put up with. But Chris completely stole the spotlight in a way that few of his counterparts from other cartoon series do, so that made me dislike him (and he is a bit of a whiny bitch as well...)

He said it perfectly! This is the reason why I cant stand him. Don't take amy's light in the end of SA2B (amy talks to shadow and gets him to be a hero at the end). You weren't suppose to do that, THAT WAS AMY'S JOB!

I tolerated Chris for a while simply because I knew he had to be there. Think about it. What Sonic character, other than Tails, can act as a good role model for the audience of children? And Tails pilots a mech of ultimate destruction, so he's out of the question. The Sonic cast isn't exactly the most sane bunch of people.

[rant]But at the end of the Earth story, Chris became completely intolerable. For those of you who forgot,

he KIDNAPPED SONIC BECAUSE HE WAS TOO BIG OF A BABY TO LET HIM GO HOME. All of the (admittedly sparse) character development Chris had going for him was thrown out the window so he could BAWW because Sonic had to leave.

[/rant]

His grandpa Chuck was completely different. Most of the time he was a pretty cool guy and was entirely tolerable.

To be fair, Chris didn't really kidnap Sonic. Sonic just went along with it to try and get Chris to figure things out by himself.

He stopped Sonic from going home, and then Sonic tagged along and played along with it until Chris finally snapped out of it. Still, I think Sonic was far too forgiving... I know he's laid back and all, but given the situation...

For feck's sake, with the whole time-discrepancy thing, if Sonic had arrived back any later than he did after sorting things out with Chris... x.x

The Blue Dude with 'Tude surely has to calmly persuade a kid not to cut himself after Sonic's leaving

despite he's got a mother for that. ゜∀゜ Orz

Still, I think Sonic was far too forgiving... I know he's laid back and all, but given the situation...

Sonic: Dagnabbit, boy, how many times have ah told ya not ta do anythin' that'd make me have ta beat ya like a red-headed step-child?

Chris: Sonniku! Why are you wearing leather? Where did you get that whip?

Sonic: It's payback time boy, 'cause you've just entered DER SPANKIN' HAUS!

(Once again...I am terrible. ;) )

Sonic: Dagnabbit, boy, how many times have ah told ya not ta do anythin' that'd make me have ta beat ya like a red-headed step-child?

Chris: Sonniku! Why are you wearing leather? Where did you get that whip?

Sonic: It's payback time boy, 'cause you've just entered DER SPANKIN' HAUS!

(Once again...I am terrible. ;) )

I can agree with you, you´re pretty terrible :lol:

I can agree with you, you´re pretty terrible :lol:

I aim to disturb. :lol:

:lol:

That's not a post.

In fact, this little convo is getting pretty spammy in general. Can we try to avoid the segue into 4-word posts and emoticon spam? Thanks ^^

Personally I am not keen on Chris, i find him to be whiney and somewhat desperate...even for a ten year old. (is he ten? i forget)

Admittedly i have not seen all of Sonic X, but from what i have seen i could not find any real reason for him to be there other than to provide a roof over Sonic's head and the odd other thing he may need (like money/vehecles ect.), and as it has been said before he just seems to get captured alot.