Awoo.

Chris Thorntyke Discussion

KirbyGamer91

I thought Sonic was a lot worse than Chris in Sonic X. Whereas Chris had a whiny, generic, uninteresting personality, Sonic had none at all. I mean, every single character in the anime got some kind of character development except for Sonic himself.

I guess people are more forgiving of Sonic since he's the main character of the franchise, but Sonic was a douche. I mean, even Chris had his moments...

Edited by Jake

I thought Sonic was a lot worse than Chris in Sonic X. Whereas Chris had a whiny, generic, uninteresting personality, Sonic had none at all. I mean, every single character in the anime got some kind of character development except for Sonic himself.

I guess people are more forgiving of Sonic since he's the main character of the franchise, but Sonic was a douche.

I agree. Sonic really just sat around on his ass or ran in circles until Eggman was up to something. And when he did speak, his attitude was greatly exaggerated. The only time I thought he had some good development was the cruise episode, which I actually think was quite an ingenious episode. But the only ingenious episode.

I felt he was a very forced character, I believe what tipped people over the edge was when Sonic was ready to go back home. That little brat kidnapped him... of course Sonic is like "whatever... I can get away whenever I want" and chris is all "waaaaaaah, I have no friends!", um what about your shitty friends Sam and that black kid who's name isn't important. It sucks Chris still found his way back into Season 3, it should've been Grandpa Chuck... he was cooler than Chris and more tolerable. Also in Season 3, they pretty much made Tails useless because now Chris can make everything, whoopy...

Sonic's character sucked also, he was a little too friendly. Of course as said, the boat trip is the only one that depicted him sort of right. Other than that it just wasn't Sonic.

Oh wait Tails wasn't completely useless in Season 3... he made room for TailsxCosmo... yeah nothing like seeing random pics of a fox having butt sex with a tree girl (I'm exaggerating but I wouldn't put anything passed this fanbase). And yes this was a negative effect.

Edited by silencer226

Sonic's character sucked also, he was a little too friendly.
The thing about Sonic's character in X is that you could tell they were trying to emulate his character from the games, but completely exaggerated it. On one hand, he'd give up a meeting with the president to spend a day with a handicapped girl and on the other, he acts like a total schmuck patronizes almost everyone he talks to.

There is one thing, though, I sincerely think was notably stupid, even in a series like X- Episode 41. Do they really expect us to believe that every single person on the planet could forget that the Earth moves? And Chris is pretty stupid to be confused by that concept. AND NO "I thought it was obvious" DOES NOT COUNT AS A LAMPSHADE.

Edited by SuperStingray

What I think is funny about those Eggman

mind control things: No one ever took a picture of one. A camera would have to use a tight aperture and fast shutter speed to get a picture of one of the lights, such a picture would have revealed the subliminal message.

But no, Sonic knows because he can't take a nap with them around. For this reason, he goes around smashing Eggman's things.

Then when Knuckles punches the antenna on the Egg moon (or whatever it's called, don't think it was the Ark), it creates an explosion big enough to see from several miles away.

AND NO "I thought it was obvious" DOES NOT COUNT AS A LAMPSHADE.

I always thought that that was a lampshade that 4Kids put in the dub to note how idiotic it all was.

Gin, I have asked you in another topic already. Please improve your typing. "Chris" not 'chirs', for example. I mean, really. Come on now.

Chris is a privileged little brat with rich parents who then gets the dream of any boy his age, a cast of 3 foot cartoony charters to call his friends, and yet he is still whines all the time.

This is why I hate him, although I'm sure I can think of more reasons.

Most people have already summed up what I think of him, although I don't hate him as much as others do.

Anyway I don't mind Chris, I've never loved him but I've never hated him either. He was just there and I put up with him. The main thing I dislike about him is the fact he got in the way of Sonic and Tails' friendship, because of Chris, Sonic didn't get to spend much time with Tails, because Chris was so selfish wanting Sonic to himself all the time >: His crying got on my nerves a bit too, plus his selfish personality wanting Sonic to himself, and the way he acted as if he has no friends other than Sonic, he should be thankful to even have friends, unlike me who doesn't have any IRL. ¬_¬ I also dislike the fact he got too much screentime, even more than Sonic! One thing I hated about Sonic X was the lack of Sonic being in it, and yes I do think that.

He was alright in some ways, I liked the whole Sonic X storyline where Sonic was in our world and befriended Chris, but he just got too much screentime and attention, he shouldn't of been such a main character. I also felt really sorry for him in episode 51, I seriously cried when I first saw that ep, especially when I first saw it since I never thought he'd be able to see Sonic again, I'm glad he did in the end. =] So yeah I have alot of bad things to say about him and hardly any good, but I still don't completely hate him, nor do I like him.

At first I hated Chris, but after the second season I found him to be...alright.

I mean, he actually does something in the second season instead of just standing there whining and saying Sonic is his bwestest bwest fwiend. >.> I know he's a rich kid and all, but why does he say he feels so lonely and bluh? He does have friends! Danny is his closest friend. Amirite? O_o

Also, the ending of the second season is confusing. If he left in that capsule, still looking 12, and was so-called travelling back to his own time, what if years and years passed in that world? Would he still look 12 when he arrived there? I mean sheesh, he's travelling through space and all! It boggles my mind.

He probably died along the way though, as they never showed if he arrived back to Earth safe or not. That's what I think. Not to sound heartless or anything..

Either way, most of the characters in Sonic X weren't really likeable, especially the main character himself! Sonic was SO heartless. If you've seen that last episode of season 2 (same where Chris flies away), you'll KNOW what I mean. Verte can tell you all about it! XP

Sonic's character was messed up in Sonic X. He cared way too much for Chris, but then often seemed totally apathetic towards his team mates. In fact, now that I think about it, both Sonic and Chris kinda acted similar... forsaking their own friends and established lives for some crazy whirlwind friendship with a stranger they just met x.o It kinda has the vibe of two married people having a crazy fling with each other without caring what their own families think ^^;

As much screentime as Chris got, they should've simply named it Chris X or something. However I do get the feeling Chris is like the worst of the Sonic fanbase, whiny little bitch.

Sonic's character was messed up in Sonic X. He cared way too much for Chris, but then often seemed totally apathetic towards his team mates. In fact, now that I think about it, both Sonic and Chris kinda acted similar... forsaking their own friends and established lives for some crazy whirlwind friendship with a stranger they just met x.o It kinda has the vibe of two married people having a crazy fling with each other without caring what their own families think ^^;

Wow... I can't believe I'm only seeing that now.

It's kind of weird that Sonic would do that, though. Of all the possibilities out there, he had to get attached to someone who constantly whines and needs saving or help.

To be fair, Chris did "save Sonic's life", because I'm not sure if Sonic would have ever gotten out of that pool if Chris hadn't come down in time. But I'm sure other characters have saved his life on other occasions.

The thing I never understood was how Sonic saved Amy after she fell in the ocean on that resort episode. I know Chris saved Sonic from his own pool at his mansion, but how the heck did Sonic save Amy? She blacked out and the last thing we saw was Sonic reaching for her, but how did get back up to the surface?

Two words: Gary Stu.

Seriously, I'd admire the kid if he had a harsher background to start with and/or a deeper, somewhat flawed personality to overcome, but he seems to be like one of those whiny kids at a toy store begging for a new toy; they want everything they ask for and they want it their way only.

Ok, to be leniant, he was pretty sweet when he saved Sonic from drowning and all, but after that he just seemed to get so irritatingly spoiled! Personally, if Chris HAD to be like that it would have been nicer to have him learn that he can't get everything he wanted. It would have made a good moral to the series, anyways...

Edited by Glacio

The thing I never understood was how Sonic saved Amy after she fell in the ocean on that resort episode. I know Chris saved Sonic from his own pool at his mansion, but how the heck did Sonic save Amy? She blacked out and the last thing we saw was Sonic reaching for her, but how did get back up to the surface?

Sonic X is full of inconsistencies and such. Many characters abilities are exaggerated (only to be later de-exaggerated).

My favorite example is Knuckles. During an attack on Eggman’s base, he and Rouge punched and Kicked for a while to knock down a single thick wall.

Later in the series, Knuckles is seen punching the EggMoon out of Orbit with a single blow. :blink:

Not much in the series adds up.

Agreed. I swear, sometimes it was like watching a Sonic adaptation/ripoff/"storybook outing" of Brokeback Mountain.

I'm not entirely sure, but I do recall an early episode where Chris said he planned on teaching Sonic to swim. Could be a plothole though. Edited by SuperStingray

He found a spring/had an extra life.

Naw... there were air bubbles down there. Then he was able to jump his way out of there.

Edited by OvErLoRd Darkspine

I liked Chris for the most part. I went through a phase when I hated him (probably because everyone else hated him and I'm a follower), but I got over it. He's a cute character, and I would probably act worse than he did if Sonic somehow started living in my house.

Yes Chris is rich, and yes he's spoilt but he does realise that and apologise. Also, he isn't that great friends with the kids at the start, it's through Sonic that they become great friends. Plus having all the friends in the world doesn't make up for the fact that his parents aren't there for him, and again Sonic helps him with that too.

Plus come on! A blue hedgehog fell from the sky and landed in his swimming pool. Any 12 year old would ditch their friends for Sonic! lol atleast for a little while anyway.

Yeah he does get a lot of rubbish from fans when if Sonic was in your house you wouldn't want him to leave if you did get really attached to his friendship.

However, I hate, HATE, it when Chris took over Tails/Knuckles/Amy/Big, basically any other characters role in the story.

You could say the same about the games too, and many people do lol XD. I said earlier that I think that if you didn't have Chris then it would be like watching a Sonic game...but without being able to play, so it would be one very very long cutscene. That's not exactly exciting really.