Awoo.

Games TM has a big Sonic suprise in store?

Badnik Mechanic

So I popped into WHSmith today and had a flick through a couple of magazines, one of which was this issue of Games TM issue 103.

This issue.

GTM103-228x300.jpg

I then flicked to the last page, the NEXT ISSUE page, and I was very suprised at what I saw.

It was Sonic in the Green Hill Zone (a splice of many screenshots of the original Mega Drive GHZ), in his original sprite format. And it had the following information.

The issue number.

The Date it was out.

That was it, no hints as to why Sonic was there, no clues as to if it was a new game announcement, a feature on the original stuff, a "Oh it's Sonic's 20th year!" or some other kind of big announcement. (We are aparently getting one early next year).

It might be nothing, but when you consider that the magazine has given the entire next issue page to Sonic, and the idea being behind these next issue teaser pages is that they attract your interest and debate a bit of a discussion for the regular readers, it must be something pretty big, or at least something that the magazine considers to be big.

I think that the next issue (104) is due out on December 23rd for those wanting to keep track.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 2

Could you scan a picture of the last teaser page?

I don't think he has the magazine just looked at them and randomly seen Sonic at the end of Games TM.....I think Sonic might get a magazine announcement much like Tomb Raider did.

Edited by Croft

Could you scan a picture of the last teaser page?

No can do, no matter how nice the picture looked, or how interesting their looks at the new Bioshock/Batman were, I couldn't find it in my heart to spend.. what £5 on a magazine?

Edit: Also for those who don't know, Games TM is multiformat, so if this is indeed a new game or some kind of actual game announcement and not a new feature on the old stuff (which is what I think it might be), chances are it'll be the next big multiformat title, or Episode 2.

Edit 2: This magazine has an online version, but as to if it'll have the 'next issue' page is anyones guess.

Edited by Hogfather

So I popped into WHSmith today and had a flick through a couple of magazines, one of which was this issue of Games TM issue 103.

This issue.

GTM103-228x300.jpg

I then flicked to the last page, the NEXT ISSUE page, and I was very suprised at what I saw.

It was Sonic in the Green Hill Zone (a splice of many screenshots of the original Mega Drive GHZ), in his original sprite format. And it had the following information.

The issue number.

The Date it was out.

That was it, no hints as to why Sonic was there, no clues as to if it was a new game announcement, a feature on the original stuff, a "Oh it's Sonic's 20th year!" or some other kind of big announcement. (We are aparently getting one early next year).

It might be nothing, but when you consider that the magazine has given the entire next issue page to Sonic, and the idea being behind these next issue teaser pages is that they attract your interest and debate a bit of a discussion for the regular readers, it must be something pretty big, or at least something that the magazine considers to be big.

I think that the next issue (104) is due out on December 23rd for those wanting to keep track.

Interested to see how this develops. o3o

I do believe you mean "All aboard the mine cart," Azzie.

..Well played Indy. :V

But really dang it Sega, you suck. Stop getting my hopes up. I'm feeling pretty impatient for that issue to come out right about now.

Edited by Azukara

XD

I like how I'm now making topics on other boards without actually being a member of them.

Edit: I've had a look around for anyone else talking about this, I could only find one other reference to Games TM issue 104.

There is an interview with Sega in their next issue specifically that article mentions Shenmue City, but it's certainly possible they've had 'other talks.'

I'm not 100% on this one, but don't GamesTM usually do any old random stuff for their back page? For example, issue 100 has a picture of Bomberman at the back, while issue 101 has no content related to Bomberman what-so-ever. The only reason for Bomberman to be there that I can think of might relate to the fact they hit one hundred issues, as he's doing a little victory pose. Seeing as though they reviewed Sonic 4 in issue 103, the Sonic back cover could relate to that...

I'm not 100% on this one, but don't GamesTM usually do any old random stuff for their back page? For example, issue 100 has a picture of Bomberman at the back, while issue 101 has no content related to Bomberman what-so-ever. The only reason for Bomberman to be there that I can think of might relate to the fact they hit one hundred issues, as he's doing a little victory pose. Seeing as though they reviewed Sonic 4 in issue 103, the Sonic back cover could relate to that...

I'm not sure, I don't read it, it was literally a spur of the moment thing.

All I know is that the inside back cover said "Next Issue" there was the huge Green Hill picture, where the score and time should be had been changed to say "Number: 104" and "Date: 23/12" (I think that was the date, can't quite remember) Which is why at first I didn't spot that it was their next issue page.

Calling it now: Disc release of Sonic 1 for 360, PS3, and Wii, possibly in special "20th Anniversary" packaging.

Yes, it's pointless and stupid, but it hasn't stopped them before.

Edited by GerbilSoft

Do I always have to be the one to buy these and scan them up? XD I'll pop over to my local shop real quick and have a look and see if they stock it.

Do I always have to be the one to buy these and scan them up? XD I'll pop over to my local shop real quick and have a look and see if they stock it.

Lol but I don't like the magazine! Also you can buy it online if you 'really' want to... But I'd just rather pintch it from someone else who scans it.

Well I might buy it tomorrow if nobody else does, but I'll have to wait and see how much it is first. Since I'd rather not spend near £5 on a magazine I have no interest in.

Edited by Hogfather

Just been up my local ASDA (shop over the road didn't have it) and grabbed it before they closed, then got caught in the snow shower that came down on the way back home. It Cost £4.50. Doesn't really reveal anything as has been said, but thought I'd grab it anyway for something to read. Will scan the teaser up shortly.

Hate to be a pessimist, but I doubt this is anything. The main reason being Sega said that we'd get the announcements early next year, not the end of this year. And the fact that the magazine has a history of posting pointless images for their "next issue" page according to bolt7 leads me to believe that we're all getting excited over nothing... again.

But if this is indeed real, it would be a nice Christmas surprise by Sega.

Edited by gamerguy21
  • Thumbs Up 1

Someone over in TSSZ's comments also states what bolt7 said, that the magazine always posts various retro images for their next issue page:

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble here but i read this magazine and they do this all the time with differant retro desgins. It means nothing.

Someone over in TSSZ's comments also states what bolt7 said, that the magazine always posts various retro images for their next issue page:

I won't bother news'ing it then and making myself and TSS look like pillocks :P

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 2

The second announcement of an announcement this week!

I'm pretty impatient about this... I really want to see what this will be. It'll probably just be a story about Sonic being 20 years old though...

Looks like I can't use my scanner. My PC can't seem to detect it.

EDIT:

My PC seems to have fell out with my scanner, so here's a DSi cam pic:

sonicgamestmpic.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

...and the hype begins, I suppose!

Quite interesting that Sonic is being promoted and hyped in GamesTM, the other snotty-nosed arrogant videogame publication (I'm looking at you too, Edge...) when lately 'tis fashionable to bash the Blue Blur and praise the U-bend-loving Italian like he's the reincarnation of the Baby Jesus.

Well, it is cold enough for Hell to freeze over at the moment. :lol:

Quite interesting that Sonic is being promoted and hyped in GamesTM, the other snotty-nosed arrogant videogame publication (I'm looking at you too, Edge...) when lately 'tis fashionable to bash the Blue Blur and praise the U-bend-loving Italian like he's the reincarnation of the Baby Jesus.

Do you read GamesTM? I know pretty much all games magazines can be classed as corrupt; but personally, I think GamesTM is one of the better ones.

They gave Colours an 8 (the same score as New Super Mario Bros. Wii), Sonic 4 a 7 and absolutely loved Black Knight (despite everyone else in the industry hating it.) Also, in the past few issues, they've done an interview with Takashi Iizuka, the Travellers Tales' team that worked with 3D Blast and some of the original authors of Sonic the Comic.

They also wrote a 'blasphemous' review for Mario Kart Wii, giving it 6/10.

Edited by bolt7