Awoo.

Kamen Rider

DSP001

Ohhh not the first time I've made this topic on these forums, however the last one went with ze old SSMB so alas I once again would like lovely peoplez the world of Kamen rider, now I only know one other fan in the form of RR-sama but considering how many kamen rider fans I've seen on tokusatsu sites liking sonic, I thought I'd try my luck opening a topic here C:

kamen-rider-decade.jpg

Anyway Kamen Rider is a live action Japanese sci-fi show, I would dare say the closest most people have ever gotten to something similar to it is Power Rangers, incidentally the japanese version of power rangers, super sentai is produced by the same company as Kamen Rider, Toei (who have also had part in the godzilla franchise at times). Anyway Kamen Rider translates to Masked Rider (if you remember the US version with the furby, please erase it from your memory, for the real masked rider is much better) it is often based around a hero, the Kamen (masked) rider and their story of defeating evil, now kamen rider comes in the form of many series, each different from each other, more so in the modern kamen rider which started in 2000.

Kamen rider as a whole started way back in 1971, and often involved cyborg heroes, changed by the evil organizations into doing their evil biddings only to rebel and fight them in the name of justice. These heroes would change from their civilian selves into the iconic heroes with a few hand gestures and the phrase HENSHIN which I think translates to transform. Below is a vid showing off the Heisei (modern since heisei shows the mark of the new emperor in japan) Kamen Rider Henshins, I would show the old ones, but they're coupled with incomplete modern rider henshins and the modern ones would appeal more imo, anyway these are the riders from 2000-2009. They are in order Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto(has two parts), Den-O, Kiva and Decade.

Personally I enjoy these series for the stories, and of course the amazing special effects that go into these shows despite them being made for television broadcast. Also if you like Japanese dramas, these shows have a fair bit of it XD

Edited by SP the Shrew
  • Thumbs Up 1

Augh, SP! Thanks for liberating us KR fans. XD *hugs*

Well, for Kamen Rider Decade, I think its just another excuse to reuse special effects and remarket overruns. But this is a good way for KR to celebrate its 10th anniversary. But, if ever they do ZX, I say TOEI and Bandai remake the series and reinvent it to tie in with the Showa KR Movie Series that started with The First. After all, ZX was to be a TV series, so why not retool it?

Still, Kamen Rider is the, according to TVTropes, Darker And Edgier of the three biggest tokusatsu franchises in Japan. The other two are Ultraman, and Super Sentai (brought to the US as the crapified Power Rangers). SP, you forgot Suuuuper Heeeero Time! That programming block in which both the current Sentai series and KR series is shown on a programing block, one after the other.

Augh, SP! Thanks for liberating us KR fans. XD *hugs*

Well, for Kamen Rider Decade, I think its just another excuse to reuse special effects and remarket overruns. But this is a good way for KR to celebrate its 10th anniversary. But, if ever they do ZX, I say TOEI and Bandai remake the series and reinvent it to tie in with the Showa KR Movie Series that started with The First. After all, ZX was to be a TV series, so why not retool it?

Still, Kamen Rider is the, according to TVTropes, Darker And Edgier of the three biggest tokusatsu franchises in Japan. The other two are Ultraman, and Super Sentai (brought to the US as the crapified Power Rangers). SP, you forgot Suuuuper Heeeero Time! That programming block in which both the current Sentai series and KR series is shown on a programing block, one after the other.

Haha XD all in the name of justice C:

Is it possible to reuse special effects :/ I dunno how it all works, but heh I love Decade, it is sorta a spiritual successor to ZX, heck he does have the X on him after all =P I think they should just leave the showa era as it is, as much as I loved it, the new versions of the old riders aren't that great, actually I like Hongo but the other two just don't seem right to me, although I do love the suit designs, but I wouldn't want it to be tied with that, but overall they seemed to tame to be kamen riders, they don't even say henshin for pies sake D:

Also ZX is sorta still going with the manga Kamen Rider spirits which I wish would one day be made into an anime XD

Heh I haven't forgotten SUPA HEROOOOOOOOOOO TIME, but this was mostly a rider thread so I didn't see a reason to mention it XD and hey don't diss all power rangers, go and watch Power rangers RPM my god it is AWESOME and is a lot, LOT better than go-onger C:

• 6 years later...

Just finished Skyrider today, which was the last series between me and letting myself watch DCD. It's weird to think about how it actually took 7 years, I'd never really expected it to take me that long (and in fairness it was really 6 since I didn't watch any KR the last year, getting distracted by watching all of Doctor Who ever probably didn't help).

I'm sad about how Skyrider turned out. For the first half of the show it was surprising how much it was like a prototype Heisei series in a lot of ways, it was definitely trying to be more than just monster scheme of the week. But clearly that wasn't working for it I guess ratings/merchandise wise because around halfway through the show gets completely retooled, apart from Hiroshi the entire cast gets completely changed, he gets his own version of Tachibana who also runs a cafe frequented by 3 girls just like the Ichimonji era of the original series, Kamen Riders 2 through to Stronger start guesting every week, the plotlines become pretty generic and suddenly GanGan G is added for some really brash comedy value. I still liked the show, but it definitely became a weaker and much less ambitious show instantly.

Also, very excited for Kamen Rider Amazons, I had missed the themes and tone of early Heisei from the recent shows, and it being headed up by the producer of Kuuga to DCD plus the trailer being very reminiscent of shows he oversaw has me really excited.