Awoo.

Sonic Colors's Story: Your Opinion

Dark Qiviut

To put my own spin: It's alright.

Coming from the dark age of edginess and exaggerated epic fantasy (Unleashed was slowing down on that, but Werewolf Sonic and later King Arthur Sonic left a weird taste), I think it was a wise decision to scale down to a simple, laid back humorous adventure in space that merely tries to be fun without overdoing. It's something small and maybe irrelevant if you just skip cutscenes like any person indifferent to story, but it helps with the games' cohesion in the final product. Colorful places, colorful story, upbeat soundtrack, there's a reason Colors is deemed polished.

And light-hearted stuff works just fine with Sonic. Interestingly, both Colors' finale and Lost World's, despite given a ton of flack, do attempt some degree of stakes so it wasn't all so trivial in the end. Something I believe Sonic Team always attempts is this obligatory coolness factor in every plot. (Now if it actually works that's another debate). However, I will say the humor attempts with the forced jokes don't quite click and give the story a worse impression than it should. But hey some kid must've found the copyright joke funny. But frankly? Besides Sonic's dad jokes, the rest is pretty fine. Eggman is entertaining alongside Orbot and Cubot, which are kinda dumb but not aggravating; and Tails shows a spiced-up personality so his support role isn't forgettable. As for stuff like the missed plot ideas like Tails being mind-controlled, it's the mistake of being put in these stories, since there wouldn't be any attempt to make it fleshed out. 

And despite it, Iizuka even said in an interview, if players wanted a more interesting story they should look foward to Colors DS, which puts a load more characters and ideas into place, and is apparently the canon version..? (if canon even matters, that is). So it's not like Colors is totally bare of interesting stuff.

Now a thing I don't get is why the change of the voice cast was such a big deal, or rather, it was deed as a positive thing. For some reason it seems critics labeled the previous Sonic stories away as full of "cringe-inducing voice acting" but I don't see Jason Griffith, Amy Palant or Lisa Ortiz's performances this way. Or else, if the public found RCS so much better at the time. Would be cool to know.

7 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I really wish grown adults would stop getting offended at media that isn't aimed for them, but alas.

There is a narrative about Colors being targeted towards old Sonic fans that felt long abandoned by SEGA and their 2000's edginess, so beyond the obvious children demographic, they did target adults who would play the game. A very specific niche of adults, as Colors Wii was called a "return to roots" even in story, with Sonic back again freeing cute creatures captured by the wicked Dr. Eggman. I get the problem flourishes now as the other audience feels abandoned, insulted by SEGA pandering to a side while they were the ones left in the dark this time. But you definitely read this before.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Rowesh said:

There is a narrative about Colors being targeted towards old Sonic fans that felt long abandoned by SEGA and their 2000's edginess, so beyond the obvious children demographic, they did target adults who would play the game. A very specific niche of adults, as Colors Wii was called a "return to roots" even in story, with Sonic back again freeing cute creatures captured by the wicked Dr. Eggman. I get the problem flourishes now as the other audience feels abandoned, insulted by SEGA pandering to a side while they were the ones left in the dark this time. But you definitely read this before.

That's a good point. Colors story was an attempt to listen to the the criticism from certain parts of the older fanbase (in fact, probably the oldest part of the older fanbase) who disliked the edgy and serious stories of the late 90's to late 00's era.

With that said, I personally don't think they did a very good job at it. Scaling back convulted storylines and semi-mature content is NOT the same as turning the series to a farce...

• Thumbs Up 1

It's dumb but whatever. It was so throwaway I cant really get like...actively mad at it and just kinda take it for what it is. It's not like something like SLW or Forces that TRIED to have more seriously told stories but still used the Colors' style comedy cutscene presentation and it really sucked. 

Colors is a lame stand up comedy for the most part (other than weird outliers like yackers disappearance and the mind control Tails) with four or five good jokes and that's fine for that game, the somewhat charming camaraderie between Sonic and Tails is enough to carry it for me 

8 hours ago, batson said:

Yeah, it's true that we live in a time when, unless something is specifically aimed solely at very young children (I'm talking things like Dora the Explorer), we can nowadays generally expect just about any childrens media to also aim at entertaining adults. The days of the 1980's when something like He-man or Ninja Turtles, which were genuinly written on an 8-year old's level, were the standard are long gone. Even something seemingly idiotic like Teen Titans Go actually contain tons and tons of jokes that are solely aimed at adults watching since no children would get the references.

But even so, one could ask the question; does children's media have to aim an being entertaining to adults? Just because most childrens media do aim at entertaining adults as well, is this the same as saying that they are required to? If something choses to go the way of He-man or Ninja Turtles and leave out adult audiences completely, is that somehow wrong? After all, many of the most popular childrens media of previous decades, such as for instance the two aforementioned shows, were some of the biggest hits among child audinces that the world has ever seen, so it's objectively true that something can entertaining for children despite not being the slightest entertaining for adults.

For all the noteworthy changes made to TMNT to make its 1887 cartoon appropriate to children, I will contest that it was written solely on an 8-year-old level.  It’s not much of an action show, but the comedy in the show still appeals to many adults.  The show still has adult fans, many of which judge new TMNT stuff based in how it measures up.  

For this reason, I think the common defense of new, contested media that “it’s not for adults; it’s for children” is usually a misassessment.  It’s often more accurate to say “it’s not for pre-existing fans who come into the series with expectations; it’s for newcomers who don’t”.  That’s where much of the irritation with SC and almost every other contested Sonic game lies.  Fans have notions of what the series ought to be; granted often differing from each other, and that does tend to muddle what might be a clearer path to making Sonic a success.  But they aren’t wrong to object when a new game seems made for a new audience, because ultimately the only thing that’s going to do is bring in more fandom rivalries to muddle the path—if it’s successful that is; if not it’s just an embarrassing attempt at selling out that backfired.

I am just really glad Unleashed finally got the vindication it deserved.  It did come at the cost of Colors being lambasted, which on one hand it deserves it, but on the other I slightly pity it, but I’m just glad Unleashed is finally popular.  

23 hours ago, Wraith said:

It's bad.

I think it's pretty telling that it's often praised in comparison to other Sonic games and not on it's own merits.

You know this is kind of a really really good point, and something I gotta admit I myself have been guilty of. Back in the day I was kinder to Color's story, but thinking about it, so much of it was just for things the story DIDN'T do. Like I praised it at the time basically for not being Shadow or 06, now I miss the days of the bonkers unpredictable nonsense since we've moved into an era where they're afraid to move too far from what's expected of Sonic as a brand. I guess the moral is don't listen to me, I probably don't know what I actually want.

I feel like the story is a lot like the game as a whole. Something we kinda needed at the time. And a lot of us liked it while acknowledging it could be improved significantly. It's just... that never really happened.

• Thumbs Up 2

The primary reason Colors got as much praise as it did at the time is because it trimmed down what most critics were critical of at the time; the game was simple and accessible and its central gimmick doesn't dominate the game, the cast was trimmed down to the bare minimum, and the story was as straightforward as it gets.

Regardless of the game's actual quality, all of these things were seen as net positives by the general public with the vocal dissenters being cowed into silence.

Its why you don't see much praise for it anymore; the series has barely improved since then and the ones who liked it have either moved on or just don't feel the need to speak up, which only leaves that once cowed Vocal minority left, and they have all of the ammunition they need to trash this game since it exercised the elements they liked about the series.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I liked it for the most part. It wasn't trying too hard nor was it convoluted and ridiculous like a lot of what came before in the post SA2 era.  I would have liked to see more characters added for gameplay purposes but it was a fun game with a light hearted story.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

The primary reason Colors got as much praise as it did at the time is because it trimmed down what most critics were critical of at the time; the game was simple and accessible and its central gimmick doesn't dominate the game, the cast was trimmed down to the bare minimum, and the story was as straightforward as it gets.

Regardless of the game's actual quality, all of these things were seen as net positives by the general public with the vocal dissenters being cowed into silence.

Its why you don't see much praise for it anymore; the series has barely improved since then and the ones who liked it have either moved on or just don't feel the need to speak up, which only leaves that once cowed Vocal minority left, and they have all of the ammunition they need to trash this game since it exercised the elements they liked about the series.

You know, if a “gimmick” in Sonic games can be described as anything besides platforming and the speed Sonic is billed around, I would disagree with that.  Wisps, and boxy 2D environments where you use most of the Wisps, make up quite a lot of the game, and while speed is obviously present, it’s too often reduced to setpieces; most offensive due to just how little control you have.  Sonic has no spin dash, the boxy parts of the terrain don’t let him gain much momentum, his boost is dependent on a Wisp pickup to fill its meter to work, and it does’t work at all in sections where they want Sonic to drift instead, as the Wii doesn’t have enough buttons.  The bits when Sonic is automated forward and you just have to dodge things left and right go on way too long.

And at least some of this stuff has lasted.  The upside to things like fishing, gratuitous swearing and zoophilia is that they were so abhorred they were never brought back.  Meanwhile the stuff in Sonic Colors, both gameplay and plot-wise, mostly wasn’t so horrible that people demanded it be buried, but it’s not good enough to sustain the brand, at the very least, if they sustain the brand it’ll feel like it’s at the expense of what many people wanted it to be and what it used to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

You know, if a “gimmick” in Sonic games can be described as anything besides platforming and the speed Sonic is billed around, I would disagree with that.  Wisps, and boxy 2D environments where you use most of the Wisps, make up quite a lot of the game, and while speed is obviously present, it’s too often reduced to setpieces; most offensive due to just how little control you have.  Sonic has no spin dash, the boxy parts of the terrain don’t let him gain much momentum, his boost is dependent on a Wisp meter to work, and it does’t work at all in sections where they want Sonic to drift instead, as the Wii doesn’t have enough buttons.  The bits when Sonic is automated forward and you just have to dodge things left and right go on way too long.

And at least some of this stuff has lasted.  The upside to things like fishing, gratuitous swearing and zoophilia is that they were so abhorred they were never brought back.  Meanwhile the stuff in Sonic Colors, both gameplay and plot-wise, mostly wasn’t so horrible that people demanded it be buried, but it’s not good enough to sustain the brand, at the very least, if they sustain the brand it’ll feel like it’s at the expense of what many people wanted it to be and what it used to be.

"Gimmick" in this case is the main attraction of the game and the thing that's the center of the marketing, and the Wisps are undoubtedly under that mold. Bear in mind though, at the time, the Wisp were praised mostly for actually enhancing Sonic's gameplay...or at the very least, weren't not as intrusive as things like the alternate playable characters, or the Werehog

But the thing is, there was (and still is to an extent) a significant vocal portion of fans who utterly despise that type of stuff in Sonic and feel it "pollutes" the game, and would vastly prefer things like the Wisps, as flawed as they are, to the aforementioned alternate gameplay gimmicks. So you got fans of the stuff from the 2000's mad at the things they liked being removed for something they feel is blander and less exciting versus fans who feel that same stuff was absolutely detrimental to the series and it is better off moving away from it and embracing the simplistic nature of the recent games.

It's all pretty relative, but as I said, the aforementioned Adventure fans are the most vocal right now because they have literally nothing and haven't gotten anything for years. If people prefer this simplistic direction, they've effectively been sitting pretty for a decade.

Me 2010:  It got people liking Sonic again, so okay.

Me 2013 - 2019: DGSARHSRHDFHXDTHDFGSDGSGHSDGSGZSD RAAAGH! HATE HATE HATE!

Me 2019 to Present: ...Meh.

Colors is just...boring.

It wants to be funny, but it's not very good at it.

It "trims the fat" gameplay-wise, but arguably also trims the excitement.

It has big story points, but it never pays off.

The cutscenes are nice and colorful, but the characters stilted and dull in movement and like I said, not that funny.

It tries to be simple, but instead feels anemic.

It's ultimately the precursor to everything that 2013 to 2019 Sonic dropped the ball on.

Unleashed and Black Knight arguably could be considered precursors to it in many aspects, but they usually had SOMETHING to compensate, whether it be a grand adventurous feel and plenty of rpg world to compensate the simple story, or a decent story, decent villain and interesting moral for the latter.

Colors doesn't have either, and being so lacking in the thing it wanted to focus on (comedy adventure), means it feels...meh.

Just. Meh.

41 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

"Gimmick" in this case is the main attraction of the game and the thing that's the center of the marketing, and the Wisps are undoubtedly under that mold. Bear in mind though, at the time, the Wisp were praised mostly for actually enhancing Sonic's gameplay...or at the very least, weren't not as intrusive as things like the alternate playable characters, or the Werehog

But the thing is, there was (and still is to an extent) a significant vocal portion of fans who utterly despise that type of stuff in Sonic and feel it "pollutes" the game, and would vastly prefer things like the Wisps, as flawed as they are, to the aforementioned alternate gameplay gimmicks. So you got fans of the stuff from the 2000's mad at the things they liked being removed for something they feel is blander and less exciting versus fans who feel that same stuff was absolutely detrimental to the series and it is better off moving away from it and embracing the simplistic nature of the recent games.

It's all pretty relative, but as I said, the aforementioned Adventure fans are the most vocal right now because they have literally nothing and haven't gotten anything for years. If people prefer this simplistic direction, they've effectively been sitting pretty for a decade.

The wisps earn my ire due to Takeshi Iizuka admitting forthrightly that they’re in so the game can have mechanics like flying, digging, smashing things, etc, without the need to play as characters other than Sonic. (And ironically not being able to play as what Sonic Had been fully either, without their help.)  

That on its own makes the game reek of everything wrong with Sonic Team’s flawed perspective on how to fix things.  I might have been willing to accept them stripping the playable character roster down to just Sonic when there was a gameplay-related excuse; things had gotten seriously cumbersome and they needed to get the basic Sonic mechanics right before they added back characters with other mechanics.  But the moment they decided (ready or not) they were going to add in abilities that other characters used to facilitate, that excuse was no longer valid.  Maybe in practice that’s not totally true, as being able to play as Tails and take off flying from anywhere requires more thorough level design than a flight power-up that is only usable in specified areas, but if so then it ties back into them not succeeding at getting Sonic’s core gameplay right, as being able to travel far vertically wasn’t a problem back then.  It let you beat levels faster?  Oh boohoo.  One of the things playing a Sonic game should give you is a sense of freedom.  Colors’ sectional approach to individual aspects of its gameplay, down to speed itself, fails that immensely.

5 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

The wisps earn my ire due to Takeshi Iizuka admitting forthrightly that they’re in so the game can have mechanics like flying, digging, smashing things, etc, without the need to play as characters other than Sonic. (And ironically not being able to play as what Sonic Had been fully either, without their help.)  

That on its own makes the game reek of everything wrong with Sonic Team’s flawed perspective on how to fix things.  I might have been willing to accept them stripping the playable character roster down to just Sonic when there was a gameplay-related excuse; things had gotten seriously cumbersome and they needed to get the basic Sonic mechanics right before they added back characters with other mechanics.  But the moment they decided (ready or not) they were going to add in abilities that other characters used to facilitate, that excuse was no longer valid.  Maybe in practice that’s not totally true, as being able to play as Tails and take off flying from anywhere requires more thorough level design than a flight power-up that is only usable in specified areas, but if so then it ties back into them not succeeding at getting Sonic’s core gameplay right, as being able to travel far vertically wasn’t a problem back then.  It let you beat levels faster?  Oh boohoo.  One of the things playing a Sonic game should give you is a sense of freedom.  Colors’ sectional approach to individual aspects of its gameplay, down to speed itself, fails that immensely.

Well there's kind of difference between flying in 2D versus flying in 3D; if that's truly what Iizuka said (and not just a fan misconception born because he's the boogeyman to half of the fanbase) then making the flight temporary and restricted to a power up is, for better or worse, a solution. 

A character who's entire central mechanic is flying is game breaking, and most people want to play the game and not skip it. I don't think it's entirely fair to blame Sonic Team for never being able to implement such an imbalanced mechanic into their already clunky games. Not even Nintendo give Mario that many flying power ups in 3D, and if they do, they are heavily restricted.

32 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Well there's kind of difference between flying in 2D versus flying in 3D; if that's truly what Iizuka said (and not just a fan misconception born because he's the boogeyman to half of the fanbase) then making the flight temporary and restricted to a power up is, for better or worse, a solution. 

A character who's entire central mechanic is flying is game breaking, and most people want to play the game and not skip it. I don't think it's entirely fair to blame Sonic Team for never being able to implement such an imbalanced mechanic into their already clunky games. Not even Nintendo give Mario that many flying power ups in 3D, and if they do, they are heavily restricted.

I don’t see why flying is necessarily more broken in 3D than in 2D.  If running fast can also gain you a lot of height when done correctly, the flight is limited to a meter, moving hast horizontally is still a big focus, and bottomless pits aren’t common, then flight isn’t broken so much as it’s an easier way to do some things, but not necessarily faster. To be fair, 3D Sonic does have more bottomless pits than 2D Sonic, but it’s not like they’re the only possible challenge to have.

And yes; Iizuka said that: https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/10/11/sonic-team-talks-sonic-colours

13 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I don’t see why flying is necessarily more broken in 3D than in 2D.  If running fast can also gain you a lot of height when done correctly, the flight is limited to a meter, moving hast horizontally is still a big focus, and bottomless pits aren’t common, then flight isn’t broken so much as it’s an easier way to do some things, but not necessarily faster. To be fair, 3D Sonic does have more bottomless pits than 2D Sonic, but it’s not like they’re the only possible challenge to have.

And yes; Iizuka said that: https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/10/11/sonic-team-talks-sonic-colours

Because you have an entirely new axis to work with, and 3D Sonic level design is nowhere near as confined as their 2D counterparts; that's why Tails flight is either busted (SA1) or nerfed to the point uselessness (pretty much every other 3D game) 

Some people on Reddit have said this, so now I will.  It feels like this game’s plot was written by people who hated the previous games.  Colors story is the exact reason why I believe Lost World was in the right direction (though to be fair, Colors wasn’t Lost World’s predecessor, that was Generations which had a very nothing story).  There was literally only 1 joke which I thought was actually legitimately funny...  Until they had to explain it to the audience as if they couldn’t figure it out themselves.  This script isn’t for Sonic, it’s for Teen Titans Go.  You know writers, I’m supposed to like the protagonist.  Not wish for his death.  Although Sonic dying would’ve probably been the only good thing in this story for me.  Too bad the wisps saved him, god knows I wouldn’t have.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:27 PM, Rowesh said:

And despite it, Iizuka even said in an interview, if players wanted a more interesting story they should look foward to Colors DS, which puts a load more characters and ideas into place, and is apparently the canon version..? (if canon even matters, that is). So it's not like Colors is totally bare of interesting stuff.

The funny thing I think, even in terms of being a simple light hearted enjoyable story, I think DS Colours pulls it off better, with better written dialogue that isn't overindulgent about its gags (and in some cases does some better more subtle ones) and the greater focus on developed character interactions, something that was actually kinda lacking in previous titles. The console version of Colours does show the base line for this improvement, with Sonic and Tails banter and playful chemistry and the newly established villain dynamic of Eggman, Orbot and Cubot, but it feels like DS Colours does a better job making it more natural, succinct and endearing, as well as slipping in loads of tidbits with the supporting cast. It's actually almost tragic thinking how much more charming the console version may have been if it had followed this.

I don't begrudge them trying a more light hearted story at all. I think there's plenty ways to give the Sonic universe life besides making it darker and piling on the angst (hell in some cases I think the darker works turned down ideal opportunities for world/lore building and effective character studies just to show how 'gritty' and 'emotional' they are), the bigger problem was that Colours was almost as pretentious and slapdash at being humorous as previous titles were being dark. Script wise at least, aesthetically I think it works just fine as a Sonic game.

By the way, (and I bet a lot of people will be calling this an exaggeration) I find Boom Sonic to be a lot more serious than Colors Sonic.  And just like Colors Sonic he’s a far cry from Unleashed/Black Knight Sonic.  Only his humor works for 2 reasons.

1: Boom is a different universe, so it’s justified why his personality would be completely different.

2: The humor is actually funny.  Remember the “Who’s Roger” scene?

7 hours ago, Miles Storzillo said:

By the way, (and I bet a lot of people will be calling this an exaggeration) I find Boom Sonic to be a lot more serious than Colors Sonic.  And just like Colors Sonic he’s a far cry from Unleashed/Black Knight Sonic.  Only his humor works for 2 reasons.

1: Boom is a different universe, so it’s justified why his personality would be completely different.

2: The humor is actually funny.  Remember the “Who’s Roger” scene?

...But how does that make him more serious? Wouldn't that go against your point?

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

...But how does that make him more serious? Wouldn't that go against your point?

I said he was MORE serious, not serious overall.  I even said, and I quote

9 hours ago, Miles Storzillo said:

And just like Colors Sonic he’s a far cry from Unleashed/Black Knight Sonic.

When I call him more serious, I mean while he’s still very comedic, he still takes things more seriously.  Think Ben 10 Omniverse (only infinitely better in my opinion).  While very silly for the most part, there are times when lives are at stake so they know they need to give it their all. 

I’m not sure how to word that better, but you know what I’m trying to say.

the worst part about this is: color's story could've been so much more, but at the same time, still be pretty lighthearted (it's not really my taste of tone in sonic the hedgehog to be honest. I forgot to mention that, but it's an alright tone. I just think it has the potential to be more). like I said in my tone topic, the ratchet and clank trilogy could've made for a good inspiration: make the characters 3rd dimensional and fleshed out (while actually being funny), if possible, one-off characters that are diverse and thought-out (while also actually being funny), and villains that are comedic, but still menacing (while, again, actually being funny).

But then again, I'm not gonna say that colors doesn't have any ups. I think some of the translator bits are... kind of... funny...I guess?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m bored again 

Have you guys seen the comments of Sonic Colors reviews on YouTube?  It’s a bigger war zone than the comments of Pokémon videos since Sword and Shield were announced.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:36 PM, Scritch the Cat said:

You know, if a “gimmick” in Sonic games can be described as anything besides platforming and the speed Sonic is billed around, I would disagree with that.  Wisps, and boxy 2D environments where you use most of the Wisps, make up quite a lot of the game, and while speed is obviously present, it’s too often reduced to setpieces; most offensive due to just how little control you have.  Sonic has no spin dash, the boxy parts of the terrain don’t let him gain much momentum, his boost is dependent on a Wisp pickup to fill its meter to work, and it does’t work at all in sections where they want Sonic to drift instead, as the Wii doesn’t have enough buttons.  The bits when Sonic is automated forward and you just have to dodge things left and right go on way too long.

Well, at least floating donuts, snowball rolling, and making juice didn’t stick around after they started, so they at least have SOME restraint going on. 

I'm maybe biased because personally I prefer the lighthearted stories to the demanding to be taken seriously plots of games like SA2 and Shadow but I think it's fine. It's simplisticsure but that doesn't mean it's bad.

I also have to object to the claims it's all jokey self aware meme time like people like to say. There's moments of Sonic and Tails feeling like real friends joking around and also a lot of Sonic's heroic nature on full display. Yeah he writes it off as "pretty much how we spend our time" but he still is clearly angry when he sees exactly what'shappening to the Wisps and the part where he makes sure Tails is safe before he fights Eggman is probably one of the best bits of Sonic's character in any game.